PDA

View Full Version : Altitude alerter

UnderneathTheRadar
2nd Jun 2012, 11:57
Hi all,

I've just been tripped up on discovering that my aircraft is supposed to be fitted with an Altitude alerter as it operates IFR above FL150. Somehow it doesn't have one currently fitted.

CAO20.18 requires that the alerter be demonstrated to CASA - how exactly does one achieve this? Some options ranging from cheap-ish to very pricey?
1. I have an ICARUS SAM GPSS which has an altitude alerter function already but I've been told it's gimmicky at best
2. Add a King KAS297 to the existing autopilot ($5k for the kit) - and I get alt preselect
3. Add a separate other alerter - Shadin have one I believe
4. Install an Aspen or Garmin G600 which have those functions inbuilt
5. Install a co-pilot to stare at the altimeter 100% of the time :-)

Thanks for any help

UTR

thorn bird
2nd Jun 2012, 12:01
As with most things aeronautical in OZ depends on the FOI of the day I guess

Jabawocky
2nd Jun 2012, 13:52
UTR

We both know a bloke who could fulfill the last option......except you might have to be the co-pilot at times :}

Go the Aspen or G600 option, I discussed this with said pilot/co-pilot tonoght funny enough. We both agreed that if you spend $5K or spend $10K the difference is nothing compared to the whole new package. Otherwise in a year or two you will not be bitching about how you had to spend the forst 5 you will be going mad you did not spend the next 5.

Of course you could join aforementioned reprobate and myself on the dark side :E. I have this stuff already......and he will soon too.:ok:

Hope to see you in a few months, AM reckons he will be there, so you two should bring the new teddy bear up and play!:ok:

Jack Ranga
3rd Jun 2012, 00:28
I kind of like the old king set-up, the flight director etc ;) I'm sort of glad I don't have to make the decision! It's much easier starting from scratch :D

Has DC's Aspens settled down yet? They look great but there's only one thing I've had issues with with glass.......the speed tape. I never look at it when flying the beast.

Having said that, I'm reading a great publication from the FAA about this, I'll see if it's PDF format and e-mail to you both.