PDA

View Full Version : London and the Olympics

pistulaza
2nd Jun 2012, 09:27
Anybody knows witch one is the closest Airport to London not affected by the Olympic Slot?
We are going to stay in London the next 3 month and i was wondering where to park the plane to avoid to be stuck by the Game.

Any suggestion?

Must be over 6000ft RWY and ILS.

Thanks!

FlyingEagle21
2nd Jun 2012, 09:30
CDG and get the ferry.

CEQforever
2nd Jun 2012, 09:47
EMA East Midlands

pistulaza
2nd Jun 2012, 09:47
Any serious suggestion?

pistulaza
2nd Jun 2012, 09:49
Thanks!

Any helicopter charter Company there to fly the Boss to Central London?

merlinxx
2nd Jun 2012, 12:20
Cambridge:ok:

dc9-32
2nd Jun 2012, 12:53
Any serious suggestion?

Read the official documents and you'll see which airports are not affected, and Cambridge is not one of them. This is also affected.

Heathrow Gatwick Stansted London City

Plus

Biggin Hill
Birmingham
Blackbushe
Bournemouth
Cambridge
Chalgrove
Coventry
Cranfield
Damyns Hall
Denham
Dunsfold
Duxford
Elstree
Fairoaks

Farnborough
Goodwood
Lee-on-Solent
Leicester
Lydd (London Ashford)
London Oxford
Luton
Manston
Northampton
Northolt
North Weald
Old Sarum
Peterborough (Conington)
Redhill

Rochester
Shoreham
Southend
Southampton
Stapleford
Thruxton
White Waltham
Wycombe

mildly amused
2nd Jun 2012, 13:38
Bristol (EGGD), 2011m runway CAT3 ILS 24 hour opening, and helicopter service available.

hlmmic
2nd Jun 2012, 17:55
Peterborough Conington is not affected. It is outside the area?

Spunky Monkey
3rd Jun 2012, 07:54
Yes because there is 6000ft and an ILS at Peterborough.

Try East Midlands or Bristol

trevs99uk
3rd Jun 2012, 08:16
Have you tried. Southend. Now they have the longer runway.

Understand although slotted, they have not had many slots taken yet.

trevor s

ShyTorque
3rd Jun 2012, 08:24
East Midlands Helicopters operate from Costock which is not far away from EMA. The only possible landing site in "central London" is the usual one at Battersea. Unfortunately the security situation has made it more difficult to fly to London over the period of the Olympics for the general public.

Arkwright
3rd Jun 2012, 08:51
"London" Manston? :}

nomorecatering
3rd Jun 2012, 08:58
In Sydney in the leadup to the 2000 Olympics there were massive documents published to handle the volume of general aviation traffic.

At Bankstown airport where I was working, they had cordened off literally square kilometers of apron space for the visiting aircraft.

Reality was rather different. 1 lone Falcon 900 sat there, all on its lonesome.

ShyTorque
3rd Jun 2012, 10:00
Heathrow is refusing to accept GA for the duration!

Miles Magister
4th Jun 2012, 08:59
I heard the other day that Cranfield are opening a new parking area in time for the olympics. Might be worth a look.

MM

captain_flynn
4th Jun 2012, 12:33
Regarding Cranfield, we have had the ramp outside the former patriot aviation hangar resurfaced, along with part of a taxiway. The old patriot aviation hangar has been going through refurbishment too.
We do hope to be using it all before the Olympics.

dc9-32
5th Jun 2012, 05:48
You need a slot at Cranfield too :ok:

alexbrett
9th Jun 2012, 14:23
I'm studying for my PPL at Cambridge (EGSC), and if I remember correctly the claims on the various bits of literature around are that they won't have any slot restrictions as such (obviously they expect to be busier than normal though) - certainly it is just outside the restricted zone, so probably worth checking out. There seems to be some info on the web at Summer 2012 - Cambridge Airport (http://www.cambridgeairport.com/airfield-information/summer-2012)

dc9-32
9th Jun 2012, 16:32
You need a slot at Cambridge too http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

McDoo
11th Jun 2012, 09:31
Go anywhere you like - most of the affected airfields have hardly any bookings.

Oh, not Northolt though. Helpfully they are closed to civilian traffic during the Olympic period.:ugh:

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jun 2012, 09:39
Bristol (EGGD), 2011m runway CAT3 ILS 24 hour opening, and helicopter service available.

I think that would also be my suggestion, particularly with good rail links from Bristol into the centre of London.

For similar reasons, have a look at EGTE Exeter.

G

Joe le Taxi
11th Jun 2012, 12:22
a pity therefore, that Bristol involves a tedious drive before you can even get on a train. Daft place for an airport. If available, Filton would be vastly preferable. But as McDoo says, very few slots have been taken up (much like the thousands of unsold event tickets).

SpeedbirdXK8
11th Jun 2012, 13:57
Norwich plus heli transfer. Call Chris Mace at Saxonair.

Bilbo Bagover
12th Jun 2012, 20:04
Dunsfold has space and plenty of Olympic slots for private aircraft (it is unlicensed). There is an on site Agusta 109 operator for 13 minute onward connection to Battersea.