PDA

View Full Version : Air Nigeria pilots strike

whitedove2
1st Jun 2012, 20:38
Just heard that Air Nigeria pilots & engineers embarked on an indefinete strike today 1st June over issues bothering on welfare, like unpaid salaries, tax & pension deducted from pilots & not remitted to appropriate authorities.
Here we go again, remember Nicon Airways? The airline that went under when the same chairman of Air Nigeria bought it over, is he going down the same route again?
That will be a great disappointment for the aviation industry in Nigeria & a big shame as the airline had a good pedigree & great potentials.

BLUEJuice
2nd Jun 2012, 08:49
Air Nigeria Pilots, Engineers Embark On Indefinite Strike
Written by Shola Adekola, Lagos Saturday, 02 June 2012

Flight activities at Air Nigeria have been shut down indefinitely following a face-off between the airline management and its pilots and engineers over lingering welfare crisis.
Following this, all the airline’s domestic flights for yesterday were grounded.
The decision by the two strong professional bodies under the aegis of National Association of Aircraft Pilots and Engineers (NAAPE), Air Nigeria branch, to commence an indefinite strike since yesterday was borne out of the inability of the management to meet the demands raised by the workers.
According to a notice issued by NAAPE, which was duly signed by its chairman, R.M Ahmed and Secretary-General J.U Iyieugbuniwe, dated May 31, 2012 and forwarded to the airline Chief Executive Officer, the association, in defence of its action, said it was embarking on the action due to the refusal of the management to attend to the seven point demands they put before the management since last year.
The notice titled; ‘Notice of Down Tool’ issued by NAAPE, stated that following the failure of the Air Nigeria management to comply with the agreement reached at a meeting held by the two parties on March 31, 2012 in the presence of the Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), who represented the Minister of Aviation, they had no alternative but to down tool.
According to the notice, NAAPE stated in part: “The Minister of Aviation was duly represented by the D.G, NCAA, and matters bordering on the welfare of NAAPE members were discussed and impending down tool was suspended pending the resolution of grievances.
“NAAPE is saddened to inform all parties that as of today May 31, 2012, the issues are yet to be resolved. Issues raised on March 31 are listed as follows; delayed salaries of both local and foreign staff; pension deduction not remitted for over seven (7) months; tax refund and tax clearance issues; co-operative deductions not yet remitted; staff travel unresolved and engineering tier system still pending.”

Air Nigeria Pilots, Engineers Embark On Indefinite Strike (http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/7562-air-nigeria-pilots-engineers-embark-on-indefinite-strike-.html)

BALEWA
2nd Jun 2012, 10:45
"JIMOH IBRAHIM AGAIN"
Well the whole nation and aviation community is watching:*

Heard from my colleagues over there that the strike is still ongoing as the Big Man has refused to discuss with the union and is spitting fire.

Well this is quite sad and I feel this fellow would be doing himself a big favor by listening and negotiating with them.......

PS: Whats this London they commenced with Egypt Air :} is it worth the money and beneficial to Air Nigeria or is it worth it for the Egyptian Airline.

flareout BC
2nd Jun 2012, 14:52
First off, Egypt Air, because of the Arab spring, is suffering from reduced traffic, so it's offering it's aircraft for lease at reduced rates. So, there is a cost savings there.

Secondly, there IS a market for travel to London quite distinct from the body of Nigerians attracted to the BA brand. Price figures for these travelers. They fly Turkish, Libyan Arab (when they were here) and the like, and their numbers is considerable.

Remember too, that by the time Virgin Nigeria, this company's predecessor, suspended the London service, they had become number one in terms of numbers carried on the London route. And although that's quite a distinct matter from gross or net earnings on the route or yields per passenger, it does indicate that the potential for Air Nigeria is there.

whitedove2
3rd Jun 2012, 19:29
Air Nigeria pilots go on strike on the 1st, allied Air had an accident in Accra on the 2nd with casualities, Dana Air has an accident on the 3rd with casualities; any correlation or mere co-incidence?
When pilots are reluctant to fly due to issues they feel are inimical to safety, even welfare issues, how come operators don't take them serious, but try to coerce, intimidate & victimize them into submission, using management pilots as traitors & back stabbers to weaken their resolve?
Even the CAA at the behest of the management turns a blind eye or even facilitates logistics to help management operate under a strike situation, but when something goes wrong, they then beam there searchlight at the operations of the airline as if they're not aware of all the illegalities which management with connivance of management pilots & engineers have been perpetrating.

Dee43sucks
5th Jun 2012, 01:48
I am yet to finish my CPL exams and I am already disenchanted by all the horror stories I've heard about fixed wing air operators in this country. Our national carrier going through this crises is a big disgrace. Guess I'll have to find a way to get a loan and travel to the uk for a JAA conversion and start applying for jobs there. Too many horror stories about Arik, dana, aero and now Air Nigeria! Is there no competent carrier in the country? NIGERIA! Kmt!

ediks
5th Jun 2012, 04:36
Dee43sucks.....
Dude, you know nothing yet!
Think a little bit before you come here and denigrate your country and the airlines without having had any first hand experience of flying in Nigeria.
People are mourning lost friends and relatives from Sunday's crash, so show some respect to the people who lost their lives and those left behind to try to pick up the shattered pieces of their lives, before you come here to spout nonsense about what you know little about.
Here is some free advice, as you are already disenchanted by the horror stories you have heard, do yourself and us all a favour by not becoming a pilot anymore.
Instead, miss out on the 'crises' at Air Nigeria and enjoy the parties and beaches at Port Alfred, try your hand at surfing or something, you might be able to make a success of yourself.
You won't be missed!!

Dee43sucks
5th Jun 2012, 06:18
If our bloody national carrier can be going through this kind of nonsense, what is the benchmark for private operators? Its part of what fueled my outburst on here to start with. Operators victimize and pressure pilots into flying unserviceable A/C, the NCAA circumvent rules at the drop of a hat at the slightest opportunity to make a fast buck! These are the horror stories I was bemoaning. So, if you have nothing encouraging to say, keep quiet!

danielbotwin
5th Jun 2012, 13:40
I agree with both of you. First, lets not make this matter about the people who lost their lives in the latest crash, or even the crash in Accra which took lives as well. I agree to show respect to these people that lost their lives and those who miss their loved ones.

However, fact is that Nigeria has been worse than it is now and I am not saying the job is done in lifting safety in the country but it is well on the way. Imagine where Niageria`s aviation was at 10 years ago?! I have experienced it. And I can tell you stories funny and not so funny.

Going to the EU and getting a JAA will help you but will not put you into the cockpit of a EU airline. 1st hand experience!!

Do not waste your cash like that. Evaluate first of all what Nigeria has to offer. From a realistic point of view and then look around the continent before going to Europe. Europe`s market is difficult to get in as it is now. Let alone in 1 years time.

But good luck for your plans!

flareout BC
5th Jun 2012, 14:16
It is one more airline like Arik, Aero, the unfortunate Dana, IRS, and the rest.
In fact the verdict is out on what constitutes a "national carrier".
At one time, it meant the sole airline that represented a country when it negotiated bilaterals with other countries.
Others saw it as the government-owned airline that provided a national service and flew patriots abroad, like when we had Nigeria Airways, Ghana had theirs and Ethiopia had and retains theirs'.
But in this era of market driven economics, it seems the ability to paint the flag on your fuselages is enough to render you a national carrier: you don't even have to fly across int. borders.
Ultimately, I'd think there is no yardstick for determining what's a national carrier.

Dee43sucks
5th Jun 2012, 15:13
Your replies are encouraging and I appreciate your contributions. Checked out the EU option and apparently pilots from flybe and ryan air are being poached by the bigger carriers so a vaccum has been created. Qatar and cathay pacific have come recruiting down here but with the whole politics goin on down in SA.... I will explore the options back home before looking elsewhere though, better to live like a king in my country than serve in another is my opinion but not at the expense of my life and the life of my Pax because of greed.

ediks
5th Jun 2012, 16:44
Go suck on a lemon?
I'm glad to see that the standard of your English seems to be improving :D
Better than going through "this crises"
As Flareout BC points out, Air Nigeria hardly fits the definition of a National carrier and as it is owned by Mr Jimoh Ibrahim it is one of the private operators supposed to be setting benchmarks.
Shows how much you know :ok:
By all means go to Europe to get a JAA licence with your 200 hrs from SA, no type rating and no time on type if you do get one, then let us know how you get along.
If you do get a job, please let us all know which airline it is so I can avoid them.
With your attitude I'm sure your CRM skills will be of the highest calibre and you'll be a joy to share a cockpit with!!
Unlike you I know that a pilot has the right to refuse to fly an airplane if he considers it unsafe, yes commercial pressure will be experienced but it is our right as pilots to resist such.
The worst thing that can happen to a pilot is that he will lose his job but he will still be alive to find another one.
Please tell me which rules that the NCAA have been circumventing, I'm very interested in learning how they are doing so, the people making fast bucks and how much they have made! I'd like to hear actual examples.
Do not come here and make unsubstantiated allegations when you are not even in the country to see what is happening.
It is easy to talk from the comfort of your flying school but come out into the real world and see for yourself how things are before you talk about that which you know nothing about.
You say I shouldn't talk if I have nothing encouraging to say?
Try to follow your advice Good Sir!

NaijaNinja
5th Jun 2012, 20:01
This article (see link below) is causing a lot of questions to be asked:

"Air Nigeria" Is A Flying Coffin, Former Executive Director Says | Sahara Reporters (http://saharareporters.com/news-page/air-nigeria-flying-coffin-former-executive-director-says)

Now, big Jim sends his propaganda machine to work (see below):

National Mirror - Air Nigeria debunks false rumours by Nnorom, ex-finance director (http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/41481.html)

Now me thinks:

Anyone who knows real propaganda will know that this airline is using its sister company (National Mirror) to publish incorrect information and mislead Nigerians.

The money for any maintenance that takes place in the airline (if any) must have been sourced through the finance director, so there must be an element of truth in his accusations. The ex-director didn't appear to claim that he knows much about aircraft maintenance but i want to believe he wasn't an 'illiterate' when it came to paying for aircraft maintenance.

If Nnorom is incorrect, how come the airline's core staff have been on strike since last week? If its because of any of the issues Nnorom has highlighted, then let's lean towards believing him. If he's stolen any money, that's another matter, quite irrelevant to be honest. What goes around comes around.

Without knowing too much about what goes on in Air Nigeria, I have advised those i know to stay away and use more suitable options.

whitedove2
9th Jun 2012, 06:53
Latest reports indicate that Jimoh Ibrahim, through threats, coercion, intimidation & blackmail & through his DFO/CP has broken the pilots strike, without making any commitment, either concerning the safety issues raised or those bothering on their welfare.
After the DANA & Allied Air incidents, one would except that operators would genuinely address any issue, especially those raised by pilots & engineers that have to do with safety.
Can the Nigerian CAA also say they are not aware of the safety implications of the Air Nigeria situation?

ediks
9th Jun 2012, 17:41
whitedove2:
One would hope that Sunday's terrible and tragic accident will show those concerned the truth in the saying "If you think safety is expensive, wait until you have an accident!!"

BALEWA
9th Jun 2012, 18:20
Reasons and only reasons for Air Nigeria Strike action

1. Late Payment of salaries.
(Actually had an agreement with AirNigeria management that salaries would be paid by the 1st of the month. Witnessed by the DG NCAA, NAAPE and the Minister for Aviation 2 months ago)

2. Non remittance of pension contribution to the Pension fund bank.
(Even though it was collected from their salary every month)

3. Extremely high Tax deductions.
(Demanded individual Tax review and Tax certificates for their Pilots and Engineers after failure to prove why such high taxes and non payment of deducted taxes to the government.

4. Re-instatement of Staff Travel
(Which was promised by Chairman and not effected)

Now here are the reasons for the strike people. Strike was not due to Mr. Nnoroms Saharareporters article. That fella took full advantage of the strike with his allegations.

Unfortunately for the guys at Air Nigeria the DANA crash occured during the strike and here we are relating it to their strike :=

QUOTE -by NAIJANINJA
"Without knowing too much about what goes on in Air Nigeria, I have advised those i know to stay away and use more suitable options."

Not fair NAIJANINJA..I expected ........from you...

I have some very professional colleagues in Air Nigeria and I am also a member of NAAPE and can say that Air Nigeria maintains a Professional operation when it comes to safety and maintenance.

My only beef with them is that Jimoh fellow....:*:*

dash200
9th Jun 2012, 19:06
Despair does not begin to describe the feelings out there, about safety in Nigerian skies.
Some of the wealthiest and most gifted in the land favoured Dana with their custom, and perceived it was one of the safer ops in Nigeria. And now, we have this crash, in which BOTH engines fail in the air?
The specter of engineering/technical failures/shortcomings at Dana is enough to make our people scared, that's the point I'm trying to make.
Granted, we should not condemn before proof of guilt, but raising the bar as a preemptive tool, given the consistent lapses, failures and questionable events that define aviation in Nigeria just now, certainly is in order. Read, sirs, that from now on, we can't afford to be too careful. Therefore, if anybody suspects there just might be safety issues at any operator, by golly, let them holler!

The Vicar of Bray
9th Jun 2012, 22:10
Having flown in Nigeria, and also all over the world, from Europe to the USA, and elsewhere, I can safely say that Nigerian Air space is by far the most dangerous place I have ever operated an aircraft. I have also flown through out Africa and again Nigeria is by far the most dangerous. Pilots in naija must deal with poor ATC, bad weather, poor maintenance, bad and inadequate regulations, purposely written in a way that leaves a lot of loop holes for interpretation. The flight time and duty limitations are totally inadequate for the operation in Nigeria. Minimum rest of 9 hours and which can be further reduced to 8 hours after a 14 hour duty day. Most countries have at least 12 hours rest after duty and a minimum rest of 11 hours of which 10 hours must be spent in the hotel. Not so Nigeria, it is 9 which can be reduced to 8 for unforeseen circumstances, yet pilots are rostered 8 hours minimum rest which is illegal. ATC, is at best horrible, total chaos just like Lagos traffic. What you see on the roads in Lagos is exactly what happens in the skies over Nigeria. Total chaos, in-descipline, poor RT, and the list goes on. Working in Nigeria as a pilot is totally stressful, and it ages you 5 years for every year you're in the air. But to top it all off, the passengers in Nigeria are also overbearing, they are aggressive and rude. If a pilot decides to delay his departure due to weather or some other issue, then it is almost a riot on board with some passengers even attacking the crew. So even when you try to do the right thing and err on the side of caution, you have to face management threats and passenger anger and threats. I can go on and on, but I will just say, it saddens me about the crash of Dana and the lives lost, it is truly tragic and my prayers and thoughts go out to the crew, passengers and those who died on the ground. Sad to say though, but I honestly don't believe that anything will improve after this crash. The NCAA will do what they do best, they will react and just shut down the airline, they won't try to fix all the issues, poor ATC, navaids, airport lighting, pilot training, checks, FTDL, maintenance. The DASH will still rule, some airlines will continue to DASH to get their way, so that the inspectors or someone in the NCAA will turn a blind eye to the rule breaking. The bogus master roster will still be around as usual, everything will look good on paper but what happens now will continue. Pilots will be bullied to fly illegally, planes will continue to fly with 5-10 snags in the tech log, pilots will be their worse enemies and continue to shout BREAK BREAK to get in a word instead of letting people transmit their position reports or make their request. Pilots will still have to give paxs on board, fuel on board, estimates to every way point, every time they speak to a new area control. ATC will still say STANDBY even when they haven't even heard the request of the pilot and then of course STANDBY never comes back to you to ask what the request was. All in all it will be business as usual, crash or no crash. Before anyone says am bashing nigeria, let me just say, am only stating the facts, this really is the way things are in Nigerian aviation. The more things change, the more they will remain the same. Ain't nothing will change in Najia after this crash. Money talks, plain and simple. I pray that God helps my nigerian and foreign aviators who fly the chaotic skies of Nigeria. Oh and to top it all off, the owners and operators treat their pilots like **** and don't even pay them properly, or on time. Do I hear ARIK, and Air Nigeria, Dana? Sad Sad Sad.

flareout BC
10th Jun 2012, 12:10
I can modify just one of the brilliant points you made.
Passengers could do with sensitizing about the intricacies of aviation, especially as found in the retarded environment we call our own. They need a better grasp, and it is incumbent upon government, given the critical role commercial aviation plays in the drive to develop Nigeria, to teach the (traveling) public, the factors acting upon efficient delivery of aviation services to Nigerians.
May I also add, humbly, that the current head of Nigeria's CAA, apart from being a seasoned professional, is known to be conscientious and God fearing. He wouldn't take bribes, compromise standards or deliberately remain stagnant in a dynamic industry. The problem likely is with the inspectors, who are alleged to take bribes, and accept questionable practices by operators.
More saddening is the fact that government can't find a suitable replacement for him, evidently. If they could, he would have been retired (honourably), when his term expired last February

eagleflier
10th Jun 2012, 12:23
Vicar of Bay,
While readin through your post, I started thinking "here comes another Naija basher". Then I thought again, and realized you are only telling the truth. Got my first job in th Nigerian skies so I guess I'm used to the BS and don't see anything wrong.
Runway lights in ABV have been U/S for 2 days. Yesterday only the first 1000m were working.
Climbing out of PHC, you are cleared to FL190, and stuck there cos you can't contact Lagos for higher except you get a relay. Either the PHC controller is too lazy to contact Lagos or he has no form of contact with them.

Hear the NCAA is auditing Air Nigeria to make sure the workers' demands are met before they can resume ops. Explains why the strike has been called off and they still ain't flying.

Rani
10th Jun 2012, 22:13
Vicar, while I respect your post and opinions and yes they are based on facts, Im not sure if you are aware that things have greatly improved since 2007. Runway lights, resurfacing of runways, TRACON (Total Satellite Radar Coverage), US Cat I, consolidation and recapitalization of airlines, among others, are few of the numerous visible ameliorations that took place on the ground in recent years. Of course its good to keep a healthy skepticism and seeing is believing. I can see your point as a pilot, local ATC needs to improve and now. Govt isnt investing enough in capacity building and training. Just imagine how much ATC training all the money wasted on govt official first class tickets can buy. Finally I ask you to consider how tough it can be in LOS Tower with unreliable power, understaffing, etc. in light of the Dana crash the whole aviation environment in Nigeria needs a total overhaul and rethinking...Its a systemic failure.

NaijaNinja
10th Jun 2012, 22:42
Sir Balewa,

You need to realise that this same big Jim that you have beef with is the same reason behind my advice to those who seek it from me about Air Nigeria. I have not in any way made any reference to its employees or their professionalism or integrity.

Anyone can criticise their former employee who may or may not have been exploiting an opportunity, neither do i even know what he looks like let alone know anything about him, one certainty is that there's no smoke without fire. Any particular reason behind them not having many serviceable machines, as i hear?

The Vicar of Bray
11th Jun 2012, 13:12
Thank you guys, for responding to my post without attacking me, it is greatly appreciated. i want to assure all of you that I was not bashing Naija, I was just venting about the situation with aviation in the country. I want to add that I do not know the current DG of the NCAA, but what i have heard is that he is an honorable man and in no way did I mean to imply that he was corrupt. Maybe some others in the NCAA are corrupt but I will not point fingers. Let's just say that **** happens, of that I know as a fact. As for improvements in the aviation sector in Nigeria, I totally agree that it has improved, but a lot still has to be done, and I honestly believe that we as pilots can make a valuable contribution in changing things. The professionalism that we portray outside Nigerian airspace should be the same that we have when we fly within Nigeria. I was not flying in Nigeria in 2007, I started in 2008, and I saw the improvements with lighting, or reflectors on the runways, ILS in ABV, OWR, radar, etc. Under the current DG-NCAA, we must admit that there was a lot of improvements made. But the bottom line is, a lot still needs to be done to improve safety. The culture of dash, of swaggar, of profiling, of in-descipline must change. Pilots must have the balls to stand up and not be bullied by management, they must stand together and stop being used to fight each other, e.g, local pilots against expat pilots, etc. They must stand up as professionals, and conduct themselves as professionals, and not allow people to treat them like bus drivers. I have flown with many Nigerian pilots, and generally they are great guys and very good aviators given the environment they operate in. I have a lot of respect for a very good friend of mine, Fola who used to be at VK, Arome from Arik, these two gentlemen are first class aviators, and honorable men. But what happened to them? Both were either force out of their respective airlines for one reason or another. There are others I can mention, both at VK and Arik that I have a lot of respect for. I just want to say to my fellow aviators in Nigeria, please make a difference, regardless of what the cause of the crash at Dana was, there are major problems that have to be addressed and fixed with aviation in Nigeria and you can make a difference. As for the strike at VK, more power to the pilots and engineers, I support you 100 percent. There are excellent pilots at VK and they have been taking a lot of crap for years. Stay the course gentlemen and ladies, I truly do admire your stance, you should teach the pilots at Arik a thing or two about honor and integrity. Keep the blue side up.

ediks
11th Jun 2012, 14:13
The Vicar of Bray:
Very well said Sir! A reasoned and still positive post!!:ok:

BALEWA
12th Jun 2012, 00:24
They have their second Embraer on check in Lisbon it left about 2 weeks ago.

Two B737 in Egypt completing their C checks and one more B737 in Romania also on C check.

The aircraft on the fire service side of the MMIA 2 side of the ramp I gather from one of their captains will leave for check once any of the others on check is ready cos it is now due also.

These has actually hindered them from operating fully and is not helping their operations.

Hopefully they will learn from this experience and plan their maintenance schedule better just like Aerocontractors have after operating B737 for a while, not too long ago they had planes parked with all sorts of issues and biggest of them was No Cash.

I only deal with facts.
Regards

LOS
12th Jun 2012, 08:25
EGYPTAIR MAINTENANCE & ENGINEERING’s hangars received two aircraft B737-300 from Air Nigeria for a comprehensive overhaul. During NDT check a crack was detected in the Main Frame of one aircraft. After contacting Boeing; the manufacturer; they recommended performing repairs by EGYPTAIR MAINTENANCE & ENGINEERING as it is one of the mainstays of the aircraft and needs high experience and advanced technology. Such cracks are usually repaired by the manufacturer as it is a critical repair.

MamaPut
12th Jun 2012, 12:05
Im not sure if you are aware that things have greatly improved since 2007. Runway lights, resurfacing of runways, TRACON (Total Satellite Radar Coverage), US Cat I, consolidation and recapitalization of airlines, among others, are few of the numerous visible ameliorations that took place on the ground in recent years. Of course its good to keep a healthy skepticism and seeing is believing. I can see your point as a pilot, local ATC needs to improve and now. Govt isnt investing enough in capacity building and training. Just imagine how much ATC training all the money wasted on govt official first class tickets can buy. Finally I ask you to consider how tough it can be in LOS Tower with unreliable power, understaffing, etc.

There are still no runway lights on runway 18L at LOS despite all the talk of shutting it down for those and the taxi-way lights to be fitted nearly 2 years ago. At Port Harcourt there are still no runway centre line lights and this at an international airport which has scheduled international flights on most days :=.

TRACON is not satellite coverage. It stands for Total Radar Coverage of the Nigerian Airspace project and is made up of 4 primary and 5 secondary radars co-located in Nnamdi Azikiwe, Murtala Mohammed, Mlam Aminu Kano and Port Harcourt International. It also has ptovision for 5 stand-alone SSR radars to be located in Talata Mafara, Maiduguri, Numan, Ibura and Ilorin. The primary radar has a 65 NM range and the SSR 250 NM, the coverage areas overlapping to provide the total coverage of the airspace.

Doctor Demuren has been a shining beacon and many of the huge improvements in the last few years have been due to him pushing them through. sadly there are still too many of the old guard in NCAA and NAMA for one man alone to be able to achieve the many, many things remaining to be done

dash200
12th Jun 2012, 12:55
Private individuals, state and the federal governments, the larger/largest publicly quoted companies and the largest ones privately held, and other sources of funds fellow ppruners may think of, some thirty years since the dawn of private airlines in Nigeria and several more years since airline service was available locally, it's high time we maintain commercial aircraft locally !

If it's experts in financing or airline management, we have them in abundance. If it's money, there's enough slushing around locally, never mind the billions all sorts of organizations insist we have abroad.

The part I shy away from (truth is bitter, they say), is the fact that those who can effect things really don't believe in Nigeria, so, they save their money elsewhere or hang on to it. If they did, I don't think that in 2012 they couldn't hear from their local aviation cousins that apart from building the nation (what nation), they would make their money back. Or is it the local aviators who aren't spreading shouting hard enough?

Either way, it's a sad and sorry report that outdated types have to be flown abroad for "C" checks, in Y2012, of all years.

May God help this country.

Cyclopps
12th Jun 2012, 15:50
dash200

Well said. Its just a sad reality of the country.

BALEWA
12th Jun 2012, 15:56
I'd rather have them maintained out there than here matey.

Outdated... .......well if you say so....

dash200
12th Jun 2012, 17:24
That you don't trust Nigerian technicians/engineers, I suspect, is the reason why, some 30, 40 years on, you still think maintenance should be done abroad.

The flight deck should even help shield the more shield-able inadequacies of their earth-bound brothers (if there are any at all), instead of exposing them: let's call it tact, prudence, wisdom or the like.

So, we should keep sending out scarce Dollars at the unnecessary and avoidable rates we are today, and helping developing countries like Egypt and Ethiopia progress at our expense? Nada, brother, nada!

Some four, five years back, I spoke with Victor Egonu at Benin Airport, where he'd just flown in Fresh Air's 732 on a CBN cargo charter. We explored a local simulator for the rash of B732 operators, identifying some16-18 machines in their fleets, which would make such plan cost effective. He agreed in full, only pointing out ruefully, that the average pilot would probably prefer the foreign travel and the you-know-what that went with it. But the point is, he thought it was progressive and boded well for Nigeria.

Now, compare a sim to the benefits a progressively large maintenance complex and all the attendant ancilary industries could bring to us.

Balewa, let's try build this nation in our small ways. The bastards at the top only have time for their Swiss accounts. As is clear from the on-going, they have no time for us

BALEWA
12th Jun 2012, 20:22
Totally agree with you matey......

Its just that the infrastructure in Nigeria and the attitude of people towards work here is poor and very bad. But who knows maybe things might change. Going back to the original point of this thread its so sad to see how the guys here are spreading lies and twisting stories about Air Nigeria. Its so disgusting.... apparently I gather from my colleagues there that some of their own pilots and engineers are broadcasting this false stories or twisting the right information around.
Also was told that they know this group of persons and that some or most of them have signed up with a new airline starting end of June.

This is not the way and very unprofessional.

Like the other post concerning the abandoning of their crew in Dakar,
I did see that crew in dakar last week myself and spoke to their captain. He showed concerns but for goodness sake to write such trash is so sad.

Why suddenly Air Nigeria has become an airline full of tales and scary stories.

Not good whoever you guys are.

NaijaNinja
12th Jun 2012, 23:56
But Sir Balewa,

I see you are somewhat sympathetic to VK, am just curious to know if you've thought of the following:

With the revelations in the previous posts in this thread or the new one about the Dakar crew; would you say that Air Nigeria is being properly run inline with acceptable standards as we speak?

Would you accept your loved ones to fly Air Nigeria right now knowing that VK could leave your loved ones stranded in Dakar without sorting them out?

Going back to the reasons behind the strike, is big Jim yet to wake up to a sensible level of thinking that would bring about a change of attitude in the way he's running the airline?

BALEWA
13th Jun 2012, 00:23
Ok Naijaninja.....who would you prefer have my family fly.?!

ARIK...! Yup they do... who's next let's see Aero...well I'll consider but after I have taken a peek at who's in the flight deck believe me..and then lets see IRS well I hardly go up north.

Anyways its all good I'll end my VK flag waving here and wish u happy flying..

Regards

NaijaNinja
13th Jun 2012, 07:45
You didn't answer the real questions posed about how VK is being run. Are you also trying to say something about SOME of the chaps flying the carriers you listed?

As you know, there are two sides to a coin, so like K'naan said man, wave your flag o!

D-Eagle
15th Jun 2012, 10:29
Cudos to The Vicar for a well written post. The truth is that we as aviators have forgotten one major fact,as a bond we are unbreakable,but as an individual!we are expendable. We all should work together to rid the ills in our various carriers,other wise we will continue to be victimised.Fortunately we now have crops of young ladies and Gents straight out of school. How do we orientate/Guide/ and instill professionalsm in them? When we ourselves allow operators to not only run the office,but also meddle with the Flightdeck?sentiments aside,there has been tremendous improvement with infrastructure and the industry as a whole,but with out our collective efforts,it is just another bout of politics withen our COVEN.