PDA

View Full Version : The Queen Mother

con-pilot
31st Mar 2002, 16:31
Maybe itís the new software or I am not looking in the right area about this subject. I canít believe that there is no post about the Queen Mother.

I would like to give heartfelt condolences to all my English friends on the passing of this great lady. I was privileged to meet her when I was 13years old when I was living in London. She left a lasting impression on my young self. We talked for a few minutes and I really was convinced that she really wanted to hear what this goofy young American teenager had to say.

God Bless Her. May she rest in peace.

Paterbrat
31st Mar 2002, 16:54
Heard last night and unfortunately was unable to pprune. A sad loss of a great lady. She was a woman who served her country well and gave of herself to others. Her history is one of service to the people in a capacity she had not sought and seems to have been one who gave rather than took. She lived to standards which were high and upheld them throughout. As a women wife and mother, she was already an example. That she just happened to be a sister in law to a King, Queen and Queen Mother as well I honestly don't think made much difference to her, or the way she conducted, or would have conducted herself. She gave us our present Queen who was raised to similar standards.
She will be missed by the people to whom she was a symbol, her family and her friends. May she indeed rest in peace.

tinyrice
31st Mar 2002, 18:30
Amen.

briteandbreezy
31st Mar 2002, 18:37
:(

Boss Raptor
31st Mar 2002, 19:09
A great lady...who did many great things especially during the dark day of WW2...my grandparents thought the world of her and her husband...

She was 101 years old...as we Brits say 'she had a good innings' and we have expected her peaceful departure for some time...

AA SLF
31st Mar 2002, 20:20
As soon as I heard this sad news yesterday I wanted to get onto PPRuNe and express my condolences to all of our British members on the loss of one of the world's GREAT LADIES. Unfortunately PPRuNe was down yesterday and so this belated expression of mine today.

I believe this is a great loss to ALL the world as this was a person who always seemed so "steady" in times of adversity and who could therefore bring comfort to those less well prepared for that adversity.

From America to Great Brintain - our sympathies are with you!

PAXboy
31st Mar 2002, 20:57
A correspondent of mine from the USA said that, "She was everybody's grandmother." Which I thought was rather lovely.

My late father saw her from a distance when he was 17 (1940) and then met her a couple of times later in her life. Whilst waiting to be able to sign up for the RAFVR, he was working at the (now) famous Fairey Aviation.
The King and Queen paid an official visit to the Fairey Aviation Company to mark the successful attack on the Italian Fleet in the harbour of Taranto by Fairey Swordfish from the Mediterranean Fleet, the workforce came from all over the factory to see them!

Before the visit, I heard quite a number of the Fitters and Electricians say 'that they weren't going to bother to try and see the King and Queen - when they would be walking the length of the Main Assembly Shop and they didn't mix their words over what they thought about the Royal Family.

But, when the day did come and Their Majesties did walk slowly down the main gangway, where the Swordfish were being assembled - it was a different story! Fairey's employees came from far and near - climbing onto the benches and to any other vantage point they could find, just to catch a glimpse of them!

It was the second time I experienced the intangible magic and mystique of the Royal presence. The blasť feeling up to a few minutes before they come and then that indefinable change that takes place when they are there. You feel different and you can't help yourself. There was to be a third time.

The third time was upon receiving one of his DFC's (he got three!) and then he met her again after his book was published.

Tom the Tenor
1st Apr 2002, 00:08
Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

JudyTTexas
1st Apr 2002, 03:47
My condolences as well. She was a symbol of integrity and wisdom. My prayers are with the family and all of the UK at this time.

Caslance
1st Apr 2002, 08:15
Errrr.............

"Nice old lady who cheered people up in the Blitz dies peacefully in her sleep at age 101, after a long, interestng, privileged and luxurious life."

It's a shame, make no mistake, but not exactly the stuff of National Disaster, is it?

For the benefit of our overseas listeners, the streets of Britain are NOT thronged with weeping black-clad masses. I don't see anyone jumping for joy (and praise be for that) but the impact on Mr and Ms Average Brit is pretty minimal. She WAS age 101, after all, and she hasn't been very well for quite a while.

Let's hope we'll be spared the tawdry mawkish semi-compulsory organised mass public grieving (starring President Blair as Father Of The Nation) that followed the death of the Princess of Wales. It would only sully the memory of a lady who was the very epitome of dignity in life.
:(

Tartan Gannet
1st Apr 2002, 16:16
I for one respectfully morn her passing. True she was 101 and that's a good span by anyone's reckoning.

At the time of Britains' darkest hour she stayed with her children and husband in London and Windsor when she could have gone to the confort and safety of Canada. She was also a great assistance to her husband George VI who was shy and had a severe stammer.

To those who would mock, that's your right in a free country but pause and think before you do so please.

My she Rest in Peace

TG:( :( :(

pigboat
1st Apr 2002, 16:40
Amen, brother.

Mac the Knife
1st Apr 2002, 17:44
Q: How could they tell she was dead?

A: The level in the gin-bottle didn't change.

Three cheers for a old lady with more b%&#s than all the rest of 'em put together.

Chickenhawk66
1st Apr 2002, 18:05
My conolences to her family.
Why are they waiting over a week for the funeral? Surely her passing was not entirely unexpected.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis = May your soul be on the right-hand side of God (in case any a yis were wondering).

NoSurrender
1st Apr 2002, 22:15
Do we get a day off work for the funeral?

Gin Slinger
1st Apr 2002, 23:11
sad

Moritz Suter
1st Apr 2002, 23:32
In addition to being of stout stuff, and a force to be reckoned with inside ĎThe Firmí, there are a wealth of wonderful anecdotes surrounding HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. One of which involves an occasion just after lunch where HM felt a (very!) familiar thirst for a Gordonís and Dubonet coming on. After receiving no answer from her usually prompt manservant, she went to the top of the landing at Clarence House which leads to the scullery.

On sighting her man in the kitchen in the middle of a raucous and animated row with his boyfriend the gardener, Her Majesty famously interjected with:-

ďWell I donít know about you queens down there, but this old Queen up here wants a drink!Ē

Perhaps, my fellow Ppruners, you have similar examples of HMís fantastic wit and sense of humour with which we could pay our respects to her memory, and acknowledge the passing of a truly great woman to whom the House of Windsor owes an inestimable debt of gratitude.

TURIN
1st Apr 2002, 23:44
If I hear one more pundit go on about the nations favourite granmother I will kick the telly in!

Yes, it is a sad loss for her family and friends, but as far as I'm concerned MY favourite granny was my dads mum. So will the reporters please drop the patronising [email protected] and move on.

criticalmass
2nd Apr 2002, 02:38
The world is a poorer place.

Big Tudor
2nd Apr 2002, 10:52
ChickenHawk66

It is Royal protocol to allow 9 days for the deceased to lie in state prior to the funeral. Apparently it is based on the time it would have taken all subjects of the UK (in days gone by) to make the journey to London to pay homage (although with the state of Britains roads/railways it is probably the same now). Because of the Easter Bank Holiday, the funeral will take place 10 days after her passing.

Royal family are now entering a new era. Charles's homily on TV was very touching and moving and certainly showed a very human side to the man that was previously unknown. Must be very difficult for The Queen having lost both her sister and her mother in such a short space of time.

If there is a salmon river in heaven then you can be sure teh Queen Mum will be on th banks.

R.I.P.

Grainger
2nd Apr 2002, 11:09
OK she was a public figure therefore it's newsworthy and I'm sure the family are naturally quite upset.

BUT - she was 101 years old so I don't see how these days and days of handwringing and grief are justified. A lot of people's grannies die well before they reach 100.

People die. It's one of the facts of (ha!) life.

We've had a week where several well loved public figures have died. Right and proper that these should be reported in the media but for goodness sake let's get some perspective and move on.

I'd rather
2nd Apr 2002, 11:57
I think this is probably going to come out all wrong but I'll say it anyway:

I welcome all the media coverage (OK, some bits of it are bound to be a bit nauseating/irritating/whatever) AND the fuss that's being made, because (this the bit that's going to sound funny) it gives us a chance to celebrate something after the last few dark months. I'm thinking of the contrast between celebrating a long life, well-lived, with all the grieving there has been recently for so many lives needlessly cut short.

In the aftermath of the loss of life on September 11, and the innocent lives (on both sides) currently being lost in the Middle East, I find it amazingly comforting to think about the long, happy life of this woman who influenced and was loved by so many. For once, it's a story with a happy ending and those are in short supply at the moment.

briteandbreezy
2nd Apr 2002, 12:22
Grainger... what an 'Ageist' you are!!!!!!

It doesn't matter how young or old somebody is when they die,... they still 'belong'..... and their families are as grief stricken as anybody else who has lost anybody (young or old) when their much loved and respected relative pass on!!!!!!

Age has nothing to do with it!!!!!! :mad:

The fact that this dear old lady passed away in her sleep (and didn't suffer a long and lingering illness)... can only serve as the most comforting factor for her family and friends at the moment.

Royal or not.... they are at the end of the day... only human, the only difference being.... they have to go about their daily duties, keeping a stiff upper lip....

.... I really don't know how they do it, they must be heartbroken!!!!!! :(

Have a heart Grainger! :(

Grainger
2nd Apr 2002, 13:08
Age has everything to do with it.

We all have a finite life span. When that time is up, we are complete.

The situation with, say Princess Diana, was quite different. She was taken away _before_ she had the chance to do the many things she was destined to do.

There is every difference between an untimely death and the completion of life through natural old age.

Having said that, my complaint is not with the - as I stated - natural and understandable feelings of the family. Of course they will be very upset.

What I don't see is the necessity for all the extended media coverage. As I stated before, we have had a week in which many much loved public figures have passed away and in most cases these were handled with dignity and resepect and not an extended media circus.

Moritz Suter
2nd Apr 2002, 13:21
_before_ she had the chance to do the many things she was destined to do.

Like falling pregnant to a Muslim Arab out of wedlock with the stated intention of delivering unto the world an illegitimate muslim half caste half brother to the future King of England, you mean Mr. Grainger?

http://www.royal.gov.uk/files/images/qm_a_image.jpg

briteandbreezy
2nd Apr 2002, 13:43
Ok Grainger,... I see your point! :)

But, when so many celebrities are all dying at the same time (how inconvenient may I add!! :p ).... eg: John Thaw, Spike Milligan, Dudley Moore etc..... there's only so much that they can actually 'force feed' us with.... and the more prominent a person is..... the more coverage they get!!

I guess we'll just have to live with it!!!

As for Diana... yes... her life did end tragically (and certainly before she ever really had the chance to be happy in her life)... but she experienced more in her short life than most of us would if we lived forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Moritz....

..unless you can back up these claims,.... be quiet!!!!!!! :eek:

Grainger
2nd Apr 2002, 13:58
Thanks, BB - and sorry for any hard feelings. Your point is taken too.

Other than that, I thought I heard an irritating noise.... but no, it turned out to be nothing. Nothing at all.

Onions
2nd Apr 2002, 14:29
Look,

Iím sure she was a great old Doris and that she bought a great deal of happiness to her family and the shareholders of Gordons but when pensioners are being found dead after a fortnight in their council flats then surely thatís the national tragedy? Iím not a republican and think that the Royal Family has a place but the Nationís favourite granny? My 92 year old granny is my fave.

101. Should we not celebrate that the best medical care and diet can make us now live that long?? I bet she didnít have to wait a year for either of her hip ops!

Sorry if I sound bitter but I am fed up with all the hype about this.

Sad yes. Unexpected. No.

Wouldn't we all like to live to that age with that much health and vigour?

Tartan Gannet
3rd Apr 2002, 05:11
As said by myself above, true respect should be shown for the passing of the late Queen Mother. This is well and good. I do however find the rather tacky aspects a bit much to take.

I will NOT be signing a Book of Condolence, I did not know the Lady personally, nor did I ever meet her, nor leaving flowers or a soft toy at any spot designated. I will reflect upon the life of the Lady departed with respect but that is it. Last night at the start of a Meeting we stood for a few moments in silent respect. That was seemly and appropriate and sufficient.

I have to say that I do not buy into the modern trends in mourning of a high profile, public nature. I feel that this is an unwelcome import from the USA.

Finally, was it necessary to recall Parliament? (and the Scots Assembly etc). Had THE QUEEN herself died then yes, there would be a Constitutional reason for this. In the event a very old, albeit very well regarded Lady, the Queen Mother, died after a long and eventful life. This is not a national crisis and I see no reason for Parliament to be summoned. There is nothing to be debated, and the Prime Minister, The Leader of the Opposition, and other political leaders have already paid their respects. All we will get is a repeat of such tributes as have already been made plus many "me too" utterances from the various nonentities that litter the benches.

I remember the media circus at the death of Diana and feel we should return to the old British sense of quiet dignity and decorum in such matters.

Mawkish public mourning detracts from rather than adds to the event.

Evening Star
3rd Apr 2002, 08:00
It will not harm me to find myself occasionally agreeing with TG.

The mawkish display for Diana was nauseating, and would be inappropriate for such a well respected lady as the Queen Mother. The "old British sense of quiet dignity and decorum in such matters" I feel has an integrity and depth missing from the mawkish displays.

Will be paying my respects with silent contemplation.

Grim Reaper 14
3rd Apr 2002, 09:09
I just wish that whoever it might be that has died, and whenever that might be, the media would give us all the option of grieving in our own way, IF THAT'S WHAT WE WANT TO DO!!!! I personally object to the force feeding of grief down throats that are to all intents and purposes, completely unaffected by that individuals passing. A diverse culture with full opinions is what we all embrace. It's just a pity that the media flock towards what they consider to be mass opinion. Why do they think it's mass opinion? Because those of us who don't care, are too respectful to say anything, henceforth the propaganda continues....:o

chippy63
3rd Apr 2002, 13:04
I agree with G Reaper 14; people should grieve if they wish and as they wish.

We should declare a cliche-free zone and enforce it. I am waiting for the inevitable " Ah, it's what she would have wanted, isn't it?"

By the way, and more to the point, what's going to happen to the bottle of gin that was left with the flowers? Or is it just an empty bottle filled with water? Someone should check on this.

swashplate
3rd Apr 2002, 13:21
Firstly, RIP Queen Mum :(

However, I do fail to see the relevance of reopening Parliament on this matter, unless it's just about Politicians showing how 'touchy-feely' they are... :mad: :rolleyes:

Yo Tartan - I think the phrase you were looking for is:

Emotional Incontinence!!

But I agree that it is an import from the US. We can blame Oprah and her ilk...

You must talk about it luvvie!!:rolleyes:

Sometimes it is better to 'get it off your chest'...

...but there also an old saying about leaving sleeping dogs to lie.... :cool:

As for Lady Di, that week in Sept 97, I was moving town to start a new job, so I had rather more important things to consider....