PDA

View Full Version : Cosford Air Show: & BAC Jaguar.

Tiger_mate
1st Jun 2012, 18:05
Cosford are going to have a Jaguar taxi the full length of the runway and back at about 10:00 17 June. For those Jaguar enthusiasts caught out by the sudden demise of operational Jaguar it will be a little compensation. The dedicated Jaguar flightline static display will inlude 3 aircraft in flightline pose (ground equipment etc) rather then the usual clinical static displays.

Lightning Mate
2nd Jun 2012, 15:17
Most commentators on this site deride this aeroplane but know nothing about it.

With 1850 hours on type, I do.

BEagle
2nd Jun 2012, 16:22
The dedicated Jaguar flightline static display will inlude 3 aircraft in flightline pose (ground equipment etc) rather then the usual clinical static displays.

Including saucers of milk and litter trays?

What a great idea, Cosford - hope it goes well!

Lightning Mate
2nd Jun 2012, 16:24
See what I mean?

How many hours on it then Beags....................................?????

newt
2nd Jun 2012, 17:47
Go for it LM!! It was a great little aeroplane and I enjoyed my 1400 hours on it:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Beags.......I never saw a saucer of milk or even a navigator!! Did you?

Off to find a drink of something cool before the flack gets too heavy!! have a good Jubilee weekend guys:ok::ok:

Alber Ratman
2nd Jun 2012, 21:37
Know which ones are going to be picked?? Oh, the ones with the tin opener motif on the sides, the pink one or the spotty one.. LM, totally agree with you, a lot of people deride SEPECAT's beast, but never had the joy of working on the best squadrons / station the RAF ever had.. The aircraft had a lot to do with that!:ok:

Alber Ratman
2nd Jun 2012, 21:47
BTW it was the SEPECAT Jaguar.. BAC was a partner in SEPECAT, but the baseline design kicking the project off was the Breguet BR 121...:E

Done quite a bit of research on the original design and development from AST 362 / ECAT comparisons, through the MOU, the Adour problems, The French Navy's totally correct decision to dump the "M" (It was a pig and carrier trials were never satisfactory) and the other tribulations into service. :8

Tiger_mate
2nd Jun 2012, 21:54
The static park is to have the 'jaguar' Jaguar, a desert single seater and a grey T bird. A black one may join the static or be the live one on the runway. There will be some hangar displays featuring others that may include RAFG GR1s.

Alber Ratman
2nd Jun 2012, 22:04
XX119, XX725 and XX842 on the static.. Had quite a bit of a hand in those respective schemes.. :ok:

Lightning Mate
4th Jun 2012, 15:14
You've gone very quiet BEags.

Wossa marrer - two Lightning and Jaguar pilots too much for you? :E

(with thanks to the newt:ok::ok:)

Skeleton
19th Jun 2012, 00:30
Most commentators on this site deride this aeroplane but know nothing about it.

With 1850 hours on type, I do.

Like it L M. :D:D:D:D ;)

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jun 2012, 07:32
It is the exception that proves the rule "if it looks like, it'll fly right".

One of the nicest looking jets ever built in my opinion. And some real strengths - particularly the low running costs and complete disregard of turbulence and whilst elderly, the cockpit ergonomics were pretty straightforward and allowed you to get your job done without too much excess mental effort.

Just the risk of departing controlled flight (permanently) if it ever went above the very low alpha limit, lack of thrust to maintain a tight turn, enormous take-off distances, unreliable NAVWAS, tendency to compressor stall at altitude, and the fact that nobody ever brought one back fully serviceable - those minor issues all let it down a little.

But it is a fantastically pretty aeroplane.

G

(About 3 years working on Jaguar flight testing, with a handful of hours FTOing in a T2).

Lightning Mate
19th Jun 2012, 08:12
unreliable NAVWAS

True Ghengis, but the arrival of the Ferranti FIN 1064 was a great improvement.

Of interest, I brought them home serviceable on far more occasions than u/s.

You are right about the low incidence limit. The problem was that it started to run out of directional stability at high incidence - basically the fin was not large enough. You had to be careful with heavy centreline stores on board. The vertical movement of the roll centre was quite noticeable.

Flown sensibly within the limits it was an enjoyable piece of kit to fly, and a very accurate and capable weapons platform. The 3-axis autostabilisation system contributed greatly to this.

Long-legged little beast as well.

LM :)

Brian 48nav
19th Jun 2012, 08:46
Only just seen this thread (typical ex-nav' I hear you cry!).

The snag of being single-seat is that you had nobody to admire your silky handling skills, and buy you a beer afterwards!

Almost 20 years ago Jag Mate off-spring took me up in a T2, only time I ever strapped into an ejector seat; Not my cup of tea I must say! I was frightened fartless, mind you I was used to his driving.

A few weeks ago I had an excited son on the phone ( the former Jag Mate one), he had just sat in on a Herc air test from Cambridge and couldn't believe his bum was parked on the same seat as his old man's had been 40 years ago!

newt
19th Jun 2012, 12:00
Beags must be on leave LM or I am sure he would be after us by now:ok:

Bnav I wondered how long it would take!! Glad your offspring is enjoying himself! Ejection seats were rather a comfort to those who used them on a daily basis. Infact a life saver to some of us!!

Lightning Mate
19th Jun 2012, 12:03
Wotcha Newt. :)

Infact a life saver to some of us!!

I'll certainly drink to that!!!

X767
19th Jun 2012, 21:26
Beagles continued, rather tiresome, repeat of an oft iterated, but never backed up with any true experience, diatribe against an aircraft and pilots who proved the machine could deliver, whatever the theatre or circumstances, has lost all credibility

jindabyne
20th Jun 2012, 11:07
From a different thread :ooh:

I have 1850 hours on this.....................

In awe, admiration and worship at your humility as such a paragon of a superior sky-god.

Just hold my head while I Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke.

newt
20th Jun 2012, 12:39
Ah Jindy you are alive and well afterall!!:D:D:D:D