PDA

View Full Version : Demographics....what's going to happen to FUN?!

kevmusic
1st Jun 2012, 12:52
By 'fun', I mean the sorts of things I and quite a few others enjoy doing. Quite a few others, that is, of a certain age, it seems. Let's take going to the pub, if you can find one. I know a great one - full of atmosphere, curios, real ale, motor cycle clubs and Pilgrim's Way walkers. The punters are all in their 50s.

I go fell walking in the Lakes. There, you'll find a sprinkling of youthful groups in their 30s-40s, but for the most part they're all greybeards, of either sex.

Or take our own passion, flying and gliding. Everybody's ancient! Again, a few more youthful types, but they're a minority. I'm a jazz musician on a provincial scene, nothing great. Most of the bands I work with have me, at 58, as the baby of the band, by some margin! The other day a posse of motor cyclists pulled up at the lights in my town. Thirty years ago they'd have been a threatening, 'dark side' presence. When I looked closer they were all in their 50s and 60s!

I asked my 25 year-old daughter about this and she said she thought that her generation - brought up on X-boxes, Mario Kart, Tomb Raider and whatnot - were showing signs of turning their backs on virtual fun and were seeking out 'real' things to do. I hope to the dear Lord she's right! :(

SpringHeeledJack
1st Jun 2012, 13:20
There's a whole generation who have been brought up on virtual pursuits, be it TV, computer or smartphone, preferring to lose themselves in these enticing worlds. Some will rebel and look to see the world around then, others won't and therein lies many a problem for the future. I wonder if you were hooked up to a brainwave scanner and some 'virtual' warrior who would be displaying more pleasure and satisfaction ? I'd be happy to have your pastimes than the alternatives online :ok:

SHJ

Tourist
1st Jun 2012, 13:32
I'll tell you what happened to fun.

Your generation had it all and ruined it all

You had all the drugs, all the care-free sex, all the freedoms, all the free university and free nhs and big pensions and cheap houses and available mortgages and no speed cameras, and drink driving with no chance of being caught, and fun flying and no health and safety, and a British Empire including outposts like Singapore and Hong Kong.

You had it all, and allowed it to be ruined on your watch. Your generation allowed all the things which are ruining our society to develop. You even brought up your children to worship celebrity and Big Brother and shite like that.
What's worse, the younger generations will have to pay for your generous pensions as you retire 30 yrs before you die even though they know full well it is a ponzi scheme and there will be nothing left for them.

Shame on you

Storminnorm
1st Jun 2012, 13:33
Most of my youth was taken up by "Virtual" sex, IIRC?

charliegolf
1st Jun 2012, 13:36
Tourist, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope you're still a tax payer, 'cos I'm just about to start my 30 year ponzi scheme. Thanks in advance.:ok:

CG

G&T ice n slice
1st Jun 2012, 14:18
When I were young we had to go out & make our own entertainment.

Then when we were found out there was a sort of sliding scale from "clip round the ear" up to "sent away to boarding school"

But I'm pretty sure "fun" is legislated against? Along the lines of "nothing is allowed except that which is explicitly permitted"

DX Wombat
1st Jun 2012, 14:25
Who moved the Rock of Gibraltar to Tourist's shoulder?

Lon More
1st Jun 2012, 14:32
Tourist keep on working as I plan to live until at least 99 like my Granddad.

BTW I retired at 55 :)

tony draper
1st Jun 2012, 15:03
Remember we had to live through the sweet rationing.:=
Tell the kids these days an they wunt believe yer.
:rolleyes:

Din't see a Banana until I were 23.

Tourist
1st Jun 2012, 16:10
Did I forget to mention trashing the environment and squandering the earths natural resources.

Basically, your parents generation, fought for their country and made enormous sacrifices, and you lot sponged along after, enjoying the fruits of their sacrifice with three day weeks and the like.
To add insult to injury, you then allowed subsequent generations of aircrew to join on reduced terms and conditions, allowed pay to fly to flourish as long as it didn't hurt your own situation and unlike your parents generation did not have the decency to move aside at fifty five and let the new generation have some fun.
Your generation got us into silly wars and then refused to fund them properly, causing numerous deaths.
Sold off the gold reserve.

I do wonder if in future this period will be known as the age of wastrels.

tony draper
1st Jun 2012, 16:24
The thing is,we dont care.:E

Tourist
1st Jun 2012, 16:35
Yes, I know.

Me neither, I joined your lot long ago.;)
If you can't beat em, and all that.
I just had to work a bit harder to be a wastrel, that's all.
Trust me, I managed.

At least I'm aware that I'm leaving a bag of shite for the next generation though, rather than waxing on about how the youth of today is in some way not as good as "our" youth.

NewsOfTheWorld
1st Jun 2012, 16:41
It pains me, it really does, but I just have to agree with Tourist.

Halfbaked_Boy
1st Jun 2012, 16:43
People now are brought up in such a 'corporate', 'health and safety', 'professional' world, that many don't bother to seek out real experiences any more.

I'm 23 years old, I love flying (and the barbecues that go with it!), I love motorcycles, I love sailing, and I love going to Wales and finding a woodland path leading to nowhere to walk along. Fun to me is exploring the great outdoors by any means (and via any medium!), and the social scene that surrounds it.

I'd rather hang out with you old timers than spend my time in a nightclub (or online gaming 'battle') with a gaggle of people my own age any day :ok:

tony draper
1st Jun 2012, 17:02
I like sitting on me arse and grumbling.:rolleyes:

Lon More
1st Jun 2012, 17:04
I like sitting on me arse and grumbling me too. Practice makes erfect.

obgraham
1st Jun 2012, 17:31
I like sitting on me arse and grumbling.:rolleyes:I expect that, among Jetblasters, that's the number one pastime.

Well, maybe number two.

redsnail
1st Jun 2012, 17:36
Ah, tis easy to give up on the "younger folk" but no, they're out there doing stuff and getting up to mischief - as we expect them to do.

I belong to the local windsurfing club at Lake Brogborough (http://www.broglake.co.uk/). If I was brutally honest, the average age would hover around 60 years old. However, these "old boys" rock. They really do.
But, the club's cognisant of needing new blood so they started a Saturday under 15s club. It's booming. :ok: It's absolutely brilliant seeing such cross generation cooperation. That's another generation sorted. :D

con-pilot
1st Jun 2012, 17:37
Basically, your parents generation, fought for their country and made enormous sacrifices, and you lot sponged along after, enjoying the fruits of their sacrifice with three day weeks and the like.
To add insult to injury, you then allowed subsequent generations of aircrew to join on reduced terms and conditions, allowed pay to fly to flourish as long as it didn't hurt your own situation and unlike your parents generation did not have the decency to move aside at fifty five and let the new generation have some fun.
Your generation got us into silly wars and then refused to fund them properly, causing numerous deaths.
Sold off the gold reserve.

I do wonder if in future this period will be known as the age of wastrels.

Ah yes, I see we have a member of the 'blame' generation here. It is always the fault of someone else. :p

Tourist
1st Jun 2012, 18:06
Ah, but who brought up that blame generation?....

You lot!

Bad parenting, so it's still your fault!

(you see how this works?)

con-pilot
1st Jun 2012, 18:16
Bad parenting, so it's still your fault!

Huh, nope, not me. Both my boys are doing very, very well in their chosen career fields.

Course the fact that they are not pilots just might have something to do with that. :p

Also, my oldest grandson is doing very well also in his career field, rest of the grandkids are still in school, also doing very well grade wise.

Must be someone else's fault. ;)

kevmusic
1st Jun 2012, 18:54
Tourist, I can quite understand your rant and even agree with it....but it really needs its own thread. I'm talking about choice. The old 'uns could choose to play game consoles and hang out at clubs (as far as I know, some do) if they wanted, and the youngsters, like Halfbaked_Boy, could sail, climb, bike and fly. Most, of either group, choose not to.

Quite what that's got to do with over-regulation, the demise of the health service/British Empire, selling off gold reserves and squandering the freedoms so dearly bought for us, Gawd only knows. Perhaps I'm a bit thick but I just don't see the connection. :confused:

Tourist
1st Jun 2012, 19:12
This is what I'm talking about!!

Your generation won't even let us play on your Threads!:eek:

Ok, fair point, just fancied a friday rant about old people.:ok:

The vague link (and I'll freely admit it is tenuous) was that it is a lot more difficult to have fun nowadays because just about everything has been banned or regulated to the point it stops being fun. And that is not the fault of todays youth.

Plus, have you played Call of Duty and the like?
They are awesome!

Don't get me wrong, I grew up sailing fishing shooting flying skiing snowboarding camping climbing and all the other benefits of a decent coed public school, but todays youth entertainments are good too.

p.s. Redsnail, don't afflict the youth with windsurfing. They'll only get taunted by tus kitesurfers and not get laid:ok:

james ozzie
1st Jun 2012, 19:44
"The youth of today is no good"

Reputed exclamation of exasperation by...Aristotle

But much of Tourists rant is very valid. We have a UK based relative who spends his life on overseas holidays. He notes (not really as a boast) that his particular age band has had a sweet spot all the way - big bucks made by small people on leveraged investment properties, a stock market without gravity, generous employers and generous social services. It seems he just drifted in and out of the property and stock markets at the right moments and that is really a matter of luck, as he readily admits.

Someone once observed that todays baby boomers will retire on the backs of mortgages of the next generation. But methinks that has all changed in last couple of years?

tony draper
1st Jun 2012, 20:22
"The youth of today is no good"
but this time it's true.:E

probes
1st Jun 2012, 20:29
:D Oh, Lon and Mr.D - I like sitting on me arse and grumblingwould be wonderful as long as you don't require audience, I guess? :E
Otherwise... Tourist, think about those who were young at the beginning of 40ties. Unfortunately one can't pick the period to visit this world. If I could, I'd think about the sixties... or maybe around when Shakespeare's plays were performed.

tony draper
1st Jun 2012, 21:11
You wouldn't understand a word they said, they all spoke like us Geordies in them days Probes.

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2012, 22:02
Don't get me wrong, I grew up sailing fishing shooting flying skiing snowboarding camping climbing and all the other benefits of a decent coed public school,

You're from the Silver Spoon class, then.

Some of us didn't have any of those things. Except climbing, 'cos that were free.

TZ350
1st Jun 2012, 22:14
Somewhere a minority group of Poms got a severe case of brain malfunction, interbred and degenerated into the PC/ huggy fluffie/ 'elf & safety scumbags that are trying ( or have ) to turn the UK into a ( very ) sick parody of " The Village " world portrayed in the cult classic, " The Prisoner ".

They should have been exterminated before they gained power and infiltrated the establishment, now they are like a terminal cancer .

A better example would be difficult to find ; http://www.pprune.org/7220090-post37.html ...................read the Express link ..............:yuk:

Read this thread ; http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/486866-pie-chips-5-99-chips-chips-3-99-a.html

and you will get an understanding ( ? ) of the few who are fcuked in the head and allowed this disease to propagate. As ever, it's the minority scum who impose their will .

A good PC / huggy fluffie / H & S type is a dead PC / huggy fluffie / H & S type ............:E

Tourist
1st Jun 2012, 22:15
Shyt

Nope, scholarship kid.

My parents were too busy squandering the future- see above rant - to make money.

Lucky gits.

tony draper
1st Jun 2012, 22:24
Indeed we were a blessed generation, being born at exactly the right time,good karma you see,all you snot nosed youngsters must have been right bastards in a previous existence.
:E

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2012, 22:41
Well, I didn't vote for any of them what caused it.

Never did drugs, couldn't afford it.
Free sex? Can hardly call it free when you have to get married first.....still costing me now, nearly thirty five years on.

As for everything else, they banned it or made it all politically incorrect or pronounced it environmentally unfriendly, just as I was about to try it...

I'm forever the rebel though. Last night we discovered the TV licence had expired the day before and we still put the telly on. :E

Bought a new licence today though...

Sod 'em I'm getting the motorbike out tomorrow and it's not road taxed. That'll teach 'em... Maybe not, knowing my luck I'll get nicked within yards of my house.

Solar
1st Jun 2012, 23:14
Mr D
Your banana story reminds of what an older mate told me about the war years.
He would have been around 5/6 during the war and his father worked in Harland & Wolf and managed to obtain some bananas from a visiting ship. The mate says to this day he can see the excitment on the fathers face at being able to bring this exotic fruit home during the austere times and the look of disappointment when the mate took a bite of his first banana and said he didn't like them.
With regard to todays yoof who are not all bad a lot of the blame if needed has to be down to the fact that due to prsent day H&E and legistration everybody is afraid of there own arse and consequently do nothing that might/may get them in trouble. In my day you expected to get a clip around the ear and were somewhat dissapointed if it was not forthcoming.
I can add I was seldom disappointed.

kevmusic
1st Jun 2012, 23:15
Mr. D. you are verily the paragon of succinct. :D

But I must, reluctantly, drag us back to the real issue - that of what's going to happen to all the fun things to do once the boring, fatuous, anal, introverted, reality-confused and screen-obsessed generation hold sway? Who will care to keep the good pubs open, the countryside managed, cycle routes maintained, airspace less regulated, airfields open and drinking rights for recreational boaters? Or to encourage bassoon and french horn lessons in schools and the happy tinkering with Airfix models and Meccano?

tony draper
2nd Jun 2012, 00:18
It could have been worse.:E
planet of the apes ending - YouTube

AlpineSkier
2nd Jun 2012, 08:55
@ Solar

He would have been around 5/6 during the war

Wow - that was really cheap, even for those days !

As for the banana , was it peeled first ?

redsnail
2nd Jun 2012, 09:32
Ah Tourist, no "tea bags" allowed on the lake and there's girl and boy junior windsurfers. No one's complaining ;)

Tourist
2nd Jun 2012, 09:54
Well redsnail, I suppose it is good that there will be someone around to sail the historics once the elderly move on.

It's the same instinct that makes people Morris Dance or drive around in old VW Beetles, 2CVs and the like. Somebody has to link us to the past.

p.s. I'm pleased that there are youth of both genders windsurfing. It just shows that there is someone for everybody, no matter how socially inept.

beaufort1
2nd Jun 2012, 10:11
As an aside to the 'silver spoon', I can relate a tale locally to opportunity and how the youngsters of today don't grab at it even when presented on a plate.

Every school child in Guernsey has the opportunity to learn to sail at no expense to their parents, it is available on the school curriculum, some start off as young as five or six years old on sailing dinghies, then small open keelboats, then small racing yachts. All these sailing vessels are sponsored by local businesses and this is run by a local sailing trust, this is all free for all children from any background.
Anyway, a few years ago an elderly couple who had achieved their dream of sailing around the world on their 50 foot plus yacht returned to Guernsey and donated this yacht free to the sailing trust to give local youngsters an opportunity to spread their wings a little bit further. This yacht was entered on a tall ships race and there was a leg from Liverpool across to somewhere in Norway (might have been Tromso, but couldn't swear to it) anyway not enough local youngsters wanted to go on this free trip of a lifetime and so the yacht was withdrawn from the race. Even to this day this yacht is totally underused as kids would prefer to sit on their @rses all day playing computer games. :ouch:

Tourist
2nd Jun 2012, 10:35
The problem is that you think that the available sailing is as much fun as you had in the past, perhaps.

I was lucky enough to grow up on a different island that also had free sailing etc.

It was brilliant in every way.

I then joined the Sea Cadets and learned to race.

It was fab.

I then used to teach it as a teenager.

That was also brilliant.

When I joined the military I got free sailing including racing the Fastnet etc.

That was also brilliant.

However, over time health and safety crushed the life out of it all. I stopped teaching and then stopped sailing on organisations boats because it is so difficult to get any fun out of it because everybody is so scared of going to jail.

If I was a youth of today, I think I would also give it a miss.
It's all life jackets and harnesses and briefings and paperwork and logbooks and shite.

beaufort1
2nd Jun 2012, 10:46
Yes, I had a similar background to yours in regard to sailing, culminating in a few RORC races campaigning a local yacht. I've gone over to the other side now (knees can't take thumping cleats on the foredeck forever, both are shot) in our own boat with 'iron sails', but it can get me to France for lunch in just under an hour.:)

I must admit the H&S has a lot to answer for, as a youngster at about thirteen years of age we were given either a 'Swift' or 'Shearwater' catamaran and left to work it out for ourselves, looking back now it does seem quite incredible. As for safety gear, I seem to remember wearing cut down jeans as shorts and a t-shirt, with a harness so we could 'fly the hull'. Happy days. :)

Halfbaked_Boy
2nd Jun 2012, 11:18
Basil, if things turned that nasty it'd probably look more like the liver you find on your plate!

Vercingetorix
2nd Jun 2012, 11:30
Tourist, very amusing thread but you will grow up to be just like your Dad!:(

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Cheers

Tourist
2nd Jun 2012, 12:19
Take that back!

I will never take up gardening!

arcniz
2nd Jun 2012, 12:25
FUN ain't what it's often set out to be, and Demographics are worse -- they are a kind of devil work where statistics are applied to amplifying the already considerable misery of humanity.

Fun is a product of attitude -- to such extreme extent that even married people can occasionally have some -- but only if they do not admit to any of the real specifics in public.

Surviving FUN tends to seem more fun with each passing year.

Avoiding FUN actually begins to seem like a worthwhile objective, sometimes.

Mischief, au contraire, survives as respite for relief, along with good food, soft and fuzzy, nattering, and sunrises and sunsets that amply fulfill their calling.

Tourist
2nd Jun 2012, 17:58
Erm, what?

Solar
2nd Jun 2012, 21:56
AlpineSkier

Your showing your age again.

Vercingetorix
3rd Jun 2012, 12:58
Tourist
another thought:
You, my relatively young (!), blade will be working 'til you drop to pay the pensions of all the old duffers on here.:{

Schadenfreude

Tourist
3rd Jun 2012, 15:51
No, I won't.

Drawing one pension myself, and not intending to pay tax for much longer.:E

kevmusic
3rd Jun 2012, 17:34
Tourist dear chap, if one may ask, exactly how old are you? :)

Vercingetorix
4th Jun 2012, 11:09
Tourist
already drawing one's pension! Only thing left is gardening and golf, dearie dearie me. Welcome to the "Old Duffers Club" and long may you bemoan the youth of your day!:{

N.B. Compliments on an excellent thead.:ok:

Tourist
4th Jun 2012, 13:36
38;)

Military pensions, don't you just love em?

tony draper
4th Jun 2012, 14:10
These young buggas dont leave bloody school until they are in their late twenties, we left school at 15 and had been grafting int Pits and Mills for 8 years before they have to gerrout their bunks in the mornings and go to work,then most of em do sissy jobs sat on their arses in offices and such.