PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand licence to JAR

nadz
31st Mar 2002, 14:06
A few questions if anyone can help me
what is involved in converting a NZ CPL ME/IR to the equivalent
JAR licence? Is the IR training of a better standard than the FAA
IR? what is the approx cost of the conversion?
Has anyone out there done it this way?
Also I here the standard of training is very good in NZ
just a few things I want to get clear before I head out there.

North Eastern Boy
31st Mar 2002, 15:28
Contact the CAA. They will be able to tell you exactly what is involved. Try their website. Ring them up..
If you have no licence yet then dont go getting a NZ licence if in the end you want a JAR licence. That will cost you more.
I personally think it depends where you train for IR.. I got my PPL in the UK and believe the training there to be the best in the world especially with regards to IR as the weather there deems it necessary to use IR on occasion.

:o

jmore
1st Apr 2002, 04:48
AM I TO ASSUME THAT YOU (NORTH EASTERN) ARE UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT NO OTHER PILOTS IN OTHER COUNTRIES FLY IN IMC BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE CLOUDS! DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOU FLY/LEARN TO FLY -YOU STILL HAVE TO CONTEND WITH THE WEATHER

Pitts S2B
1st Apr 2002, 05:38
North Eastern Boy

If you believe that the training you got in the UK was in some way superior to the training available elsewhere most notably the US then you are sadly mistaken.

Don't forget that the US is

1. Where the airplane was invented
2. Where the first airplane flight took place
3. Where instrument flying was developed
4. Where the sound barrier was first broken
5. Where Nearly all the airplanes in the world come from
6. Where most of the pilots in the world come from

These are just the things that come to mind. As for the rest of the world well there have been a few notable firsts and developments that took place outside of the US but only a few.

If you still think that nobody can do it as well as the UK then you are also probably of the impression that those six successful moon landings were flukes.

Get a Grip

Luke SkyToddler
1st Apr 2002, 07:19
Well good on you boys for kicking off the old UK-vs-USA debate within two posts ... BOOOORRRRIIING ... but none of it is really gonna help old nadz is it?

NZ is a great place to fly and a great place to train but just like the rest of the world, kiwi licence holders get royally screwed by the JAA when they go to convert them.

If your long term intention is to return to a European country then by all means come down here, and do a PPL and a bit of cheap and cheerful hour building, but don't bother actually doing the CPL flight test or the IR, because they won't be recognized up north.

If you do head back home with a shiny NZ CPL / IR and try to get a Euro one, you can expect to do the ATPL theory exams, CPL flight test, and the full course of dual training for the IR, plus MCC and all the Euro-specific gubbins before you'll be at all useful to a Euro employer. Full cost of conversion at present around 20,000 quid - or in other words about what it would have cost you if you would have stayed at home and trained in the first place. They've got it all sorted out to a nicety :rolleyes:

Best of luck anyway.

jmore
3rd Apr 2002, 02:08
nadz who do you fly with in kiwi and could you give me some info on the flying down there as i will be moving down to the land of the long white cloud in the not so distant future(particularly costs of twin time etc)