PDA

View Full Version : Maps, West Papua/Irian Jaya

RadioSaigon
1st Jun 2012, 10:00
Does anyone have any current info on where I might source maps for West Papua/Irian Jaya (note: NOT PNG) please? I'm after TPC/ONC M13 A, B, C & D it seems... although information on quite how to source the maps is scarce. I did find an old 2003 thread here, which seemed to offer some hope, but all links from there are now redundant. My need becomes urgent! ;-) Would appreciate any pointers.

Dog One
1st Jun 2012, 10:21
Try Jeppesen, they can prepare a route pack for you which would include those charts.

Centaurus
1st Jun 2012, 10:22
Try the RAAF maps store at RAAF base Laverton near Melbourne. They used to have a huge supply of charts that covered most of the world. If you dropped in to see them they used to be very helpful and didn't charge. But that was ten years ago.
Maybe RAAF Richmond, NSW could help you out too?

chimbu warrior
1st Jun 2012, 10:27
Check your PM.

RadioSaigon
1st Jun 2012, 10:39
Cheers Dog One, I've had a look at the Jepp services; it appears all they're currently offering for that region is IFR plates/charts. As I'll be pretty much down in the weeds & the wx, I'm after more topo ONC/TPC charts, with the aeronautical overlay where appropriate. There's a fair bit I need to learn, so appropriate topo would be a fearsome handy thing ;)

Thanks Centaurus, I'll try to get a hold of RAAF Richmond on Monday. Any suggestions for contacts perhaps?

Mach E Avelli
1st Jun 2012, 11:22
The MAP SHOP, based in most capital cities, used to flog the ONC series. If not, they probably could source.

HarleyD
1st Jun 2012, 21:47
Hi RS,

I may be able to assist a little, possibly.

I have a collection of onc's that may include some of those you enquired about, though i recall that they have been very difficult to obtain for some time. I have loaned (given away) some of these charts over the intervening years, so i will need to check on monday what is left in the pile.

I may also have an AURI airfield handbook for IJ, i will look for that as well. I will loan ( here we go again) for copy if it is still in the stash.

Hope you gat sorted with TPC's from the big blue hardware store, but i will look out what i can in the meantime. Also you need to try to get hold of the RAAF airstrip hanbook for the region, i can't remember the acronym, but there is one for the region, and another with the little, tactical strips listed. I will look up the nqmes of these manuals, but they may have changed as mine are about 10 years old.

HD

SIUYA
1st Jun 2012, 22:02
RadioSaigon...

Try http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/onc/txu-pclmaps-oclc-8322829_m_13.jpg

RadioSaigon
1st Jun 2012, 23:38
It's a struggle... best information I have after several phone calls this morning is that the old WWII silk 1:250,000 maps that my deceased Dad used to have may well be the most up-to-date information available!!! ONC/TPC are unavailable anywhere, it seems. RAAF Richmond got a little defensive when asked if any current info/maps were available! There's a possibility I may be able to get a topo (non-aeronautical) from Sydney -but I can't get an answer on the phone and am not prepared to order online until I know a little more about it, availability etc.

Thanks for the offer HarleyD, but please don't put yourself to any bother on my behalf. Seems my best chance may be to try to source charts when I arrive in Indo later next week. Does anyone have any suggestions for sourcing charts whilst in Jakarta?

Massey058
2nd Jun 2012, 00:30
Indoavis (http://www.indoavis.co.id/main/index.php)

RadioSaigon
2nd Jun 2012, 01:57
Brilliant. Cheers Massey058 I'll visit them on reaching Jakarta. :ok: