PDA

View Full Version : Polish Airline LOT, safe?

Krallu
1st Jun 2012, 07:59
Hi,

I have a friend who is gonna fly with the Polish Airline LOT. How is the standard on LOT? I am thinking about flight safety, are they safe to fly with? Pilot standard?

The SSK
1st Jun 2012, 08:12
With respect, that is a ridiculous question. European safety regulation (look up EASA) is the most rigorous in the world and LOT like all other European airlines are fully compliant. Just like every other European airline they will be regularly monitored and audited.

dontdoit
1st Jun 2012, 08:18
Just get him to check as he's boarding that they've remembered to put all the circuit breakers in!

TurboTomato
1st Jun 2012, 08:25
Well they've proved that they can do a perfectly good job of landing without the circuit breakers in...:}

Krallu
1st Jun 2012, 08:37
Ok thx.

What about comfort and service to passengers. How are LOT compared to others? Do they give more service or is it more a low cost carrier like Ryanair where you only get minimum of service?

Ptkay
1st Jun 2012, 08:44
And just get Boeing to put in their Flight Manuals for the LOT 767s
and for the 787 they are going to deliver to LOT this year, the proper
information which CB to check, when your gear is not functioning...

BTW: LOT will be the launch customer for the Dreamliner 787 for Europe.

Ptkay
1st Jun 2012, 08:49
What about comfort and service to passengers. How are LOT compared to others? Do they give more service or is it more a low cost carrier like Ryanair where you only get minimum of service?

LOT has 83 years of history of successful service. The standards are equal
or above Lufthansa or other reputable airlines. They have one of the most
modern fleet of aircraft, excellent catering and service.

Hotel Tango
1st Jun 2012, 08:59
They have one of the most modern fleet of aircraft

With all due respects Ptkay the only relatively modern aircraft they have are the EMBs. Their 737s (400 and 500 series) and 767s have been around for quite some time. Having said that, aircraft age is irrelevant if the a/c are properly maintained. I have no problems flying with LOT.

Tableview
1st Jun 2012, 09:32
Post Soviet era, one of the best airlines there is overall. The Poles do things properly, carefully, and thoroughly, and I would sooner trust them with my life than most other nationalities.

Edit : Sometimes the service on board is disappointing, and the food is never much good, but overall they are a quality airline. The original question was about safety and I responded on that basis.

greatwhitehunter
1st Jun 2012, 09:57
Krallu,

look up Airline Reviews | Airport Reviews | Seat Reviews | Airline Ranking (http://www.airlinequality.com) for passengers comments about service for LOT.
I have found a trawl of the comments quite enlightening on occasion. LOT seem to come out well for short haul routes at least.

Guglielmo
1st Jun 2012, 10:08
Just a technical note Ptkay.
The 787 doesn't have a single circuit breaker within reach for the crew to play with.

rooki
1st Jun 2012, 15:22
Hello
I am traveling with LOT for the first time, with embraer 75. So i am wondering about the service, food, safety, quality ?

DaveReidUK
1st Jun 2012, 17:13
I am traveling with LOT for the first time, with embraer 75. So i am wondering about the service, food, safety, quality ?

Well be sure to let us know, won't you ?

ConstantFlyer
3rd Jun 2012, 16:32
Krallu, your friend will be perfectly fine on LOT. However, please take care on the journey to or from the airport, as Polish roads and Polish driving standards are different from those in Sweden.

The difficulty of travelling between Polish cities by road (a bit dicey) and rail (very slow) has been met by new services from OLT Express, flying ATR-72s and A320s on domestic routes. This airline now provides for day returns between places like Gdansk and Krakow or Poznan, which haven't been possible on LOT domestic services.

crewmeal
3rd Jun 2012, 18:14
I seem to recall a 767 landed not so long ago 'wheels up' due to a tech problem and the pilots executed a near perfect landing given the situation. That should tell you a little about LOT's safety record and their standard of training!

Capot
6th Jun 2012, 10:05
LOT is excellent; I use them 3 - 4 times a year to go to Warsaw.

And I was taught to fly, meaning "fly" as opposed to "get through the GFT" by Adam Wojda, one of those who came to Britain to fly fighters against the enemy in WWII. What he taught me, outside the approved syllabus, saved my life in several situations such as engine failures, being "VFR on top" and realising that there were no gaps to go down through, etc etc.

Which proves nothing except that all the training in the world cannot stop people being stupid, and that Poland has a long tradition of aeronautical innovation and excellence, and Adam came from that background 70 + years ago.

WHBM
6th Jun 2012, 12:12
Well they've proved that they can do a perfectly good job of landing without the circuit breakers in...:}
I always thought the definition of a good landing was where you can use the aircraft again ......... and this one doesn't therefore comply !