PDA

View Full Version : What are you eating today?

ArthurR
31st May 2012, 16:22
Just made a Tortilla, eat it later when cold, with salad, and a glass or two of "Vina Pomal"(sadly 2005), my favourite Rioja.

Tableview
31st May 2012, 16:28
My diet today has been nothing short of disgraceful.

Got up late, had a cup of tea and a bar of Toblerone for 'breakfast'.

Tea and a Scotch Egg with mayonnaise and capers for lunch.

Tea and a Tunnocks biscuit or two (who's counting?) at tea time (mid-afternoon).

Dinner will be fresh asparagus, fillet steak and peas, and a decent South African Shiraz.

rgbrock1
31st May 2012, 16:53
Breakfast: dry, plain bagel.

Lunch/Dinner: a pasta concoction the wife came up with. Very good actually. Had green peas in it as well. Don't know the details of the rest, though, as I don't cook. Actually, if left to my own devices I'd burn water.

Supper: Beer.

gingernut
31st May 2012, 17:04
Chip barm.

Not very good example I'm afraid.

Real ale and a butty for tea

rgbrock1
31st May 2012, 17:12
Okay gingernut, I'm game. Can you transcribe for us Americans what in the name of god a "chip barm" is?

Ditto a "butty". Is a butty something you dunk in your tea then?

Real Ale? Is there a Fake Ale? Or a Fraudulent Ale?

PS: Do NOT ask anyone in Miami, Florida what they're eating for lunch these days. Might not go down too well.

airship
31st May 2012, 17:19
After completing this post, I shall be heating up a home-made curry made on Tuesday. It's actually in a bowl that I'd prepared yesterday with basmati rice (all ready for the microwave) but that I didn't consume on Wednesday because I'd drunk too much Scotch to want to eat...

So that's what I shall be eating later today, accompanied by a bowl of home-made chutney made earlier this afternoon from fresh ingredients (finely chopped red onion, tomato, thai green chilli; marinated with a squeeze of lime, sugar and salt & pepper... :ok:

Post completed, logging out, going to eat...

good spark
31st May 2012, 17:23
bowl of porridge for brekky ham and coleslaw roll at 12 just finnished half a rabbit pie the old thing made today, rabbit shot by me last friday- going shooting again tomorrow after work

gs

fireflybob
31st May 2012, 17:29
Breakfast:-
Tumbler full of freshly squeezed pineapple and orange juice.

Porridge (syrup flavour) sprinkled with ground seed mixture of flax (linseed), sunflower, pumpkin and sesame. (Goats milk to make porridge) - all washed down with a nice green tea afterwards.

After gym workout, one banana.

Late lunch:-
Prawn cocktail, mixed salad, mushroom and goats cheese fritata (all from M & S, the latter highly recommended!). Strawberries and blueberries with probiotic yoghurt. Black decaff cofee.

Throughout the day snacking on almond, brazil nuts, raisins, grapes.

Not planning on much for dinner.

Eliminated all bread 2 months ago and feel miles better for doing so!

ArthurR
31st May 2012, 17:44
Gingernut:and a butty for tea

Can't get real bread here (Germany) that gives you a real chip butty, don't malt vinegar also

Tankertrashnav
31st May 2012, 18:05
Rgbrock - a butty is basically a sandwich, but to qualify it has to meet the following conditions

It has to contain nothing which could be considered "healthy eating". Thus chip (translation "french fries"), bacon, fried egg, can all qualify.

The bread has to be white, preferably sliced - wholemeal, rye or any fancy French or Italian breads will not do.

Application of HP brown sauce is not quite obligatory, but advisable.

Chip butty with brown sauce - yum :ok:

btw

Breakfast: dry, plain bagel.

You must really hate yourself - why dont you go the whole hog and eat blotting paper - it might be more tasty?

Tableview
31st May 2012, 18:10
http://splendidbritain.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bacon-butty.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/-JZN8w58devI/SGfMBxmfzmI/AAAAAAAAv0M/IyW_F6Q8ojg/hols2008%252520093.jpg

rgbrock1
31st May 2012, 18:28
Tanker:

Thanks for the clarification on a "butty".

As for eating a plain ol' bagel and comparisons to blotting paper.
A plain ol' bagel contains lots of carbohydrates. Thus, lots of energy.
As opposed to the high fat content displayed in some of the pictures here, or as described herein. A high fat content breakfast contains no energy whatsoever. But goes a long way in successfully clogging ones arteries.

I much prefer carbs over fat. But, hey, that's me. Different strokes for different folks.

ArthurR
31st May 2012, 18:29
Tableview: Proper eating.

probes
31st May 2012, 18:34
Tview, you can't be serious!
OK, bacon, but the second horrible thing!?! :{

As for me - having had late Chinese (kinda) dinner yesterday, crispy-sweet pork sticks (? not big ones, not slices), rice and eggplant in hot garlic sauce - and having worked home without moving around much (papers and typing), I took it easy today. Coffee (+goatmilk+a little honey) for breakfast, pasta with sour cream and sweet pepper/tomato sauce for lunch and that's it. Water for supper. From the tap of course, gets there from my own well. :E

gingernut
31st May 2012, 18:41
rg I think tableviews picture speaks a thousand words.

You're forgiven for not recognising the term, they have difficulty in Cornwall recognising such terms as well.

If your ever over this end, may I recommend The Festival Way chippy, Runcorn for said balm, and The Victory Hall, Mobberley for a decent pint of Real (as in hand pulled out of a barrel) ale.

Anything else is, I am afraid, fraudulent:)

Tableview
31st May 2012, 18:45
Tview, you can't be serious!
OK, bacon, but the second horrible thing!?!

Right, that's the last time I send you a picture of my dinner!

Seriously, I agree, that is gross, but explains many of the sights that can be seen in the UK these days.

Um... lifting...
31st May 2012, 18:52
What's the point of white bread? Tastes like nothing, has no nutritive value, nothing whatever going for it. A beer is better for you, and I think as a matter of taste, there's absolutely no contest.

A bagel isn't actually that terrific. It's refined flour, yeast, and water, maybe with some egg and some seeds. Simple carbs alone, a bagel will wipe out a diabetic, and on its own without some protein (like a bit of lox, some cream cheese, peanut butter), your blood sugar (and mood) will be all over the shop. I think we've seen a bit of that in these august pages.

Of everything on the page, Arthur R has the only thing that's a remotely balanced meal except Mrs. rgb's pasta concoction. Tortilla with salad and a glass of wine has protein (eggs), a moderate amount of fat (eggs & olive oil), starchy (potatoes) and fibrous (onion & salad) carbohydrates, and all those good things one finds in a Rioja.

No wonder you lot are so cranky if this is what you keep putting in the tank.

rgbrock1
31st May 2012, 18:53
gingernut:

Yes, tableview's pictures speak a thousand words indeed.
And especially the 2nd picture.

Let me begin that list of a thousand words and perhaps we can all add to it as time goes by.

1. Fat-laden
2. Unhealthy
3. Artery-clogging
4. Makes one prone to couch-potato-ism (okay, more than 1 word)
5. Greasy

redsnail
31st May 2012, 19:18
Bowl of cereal.
Peanut butter sandwich
Cup of tea
A couple glasses of water
Steak, brocoli, asparagus and some spuds
Small slice of pizza
:D

radeng
31st May 2012, 20:15
Small bowl cereal for breakfast, 2% fat milk, orange juice. Numerous mugs of tea during day, no sugar, 2% milk. One ham and tomato roll for lunch. 6 radishes, 5 kalamata olives, and a pickled gherkin, all as an hors d'oeuvre, followed by one grilled kipper with a white bread roll, a small piece of cheese and a peach, with more tea, for dinner.

VintageRed
31st May 2012, 20:25
Well here in Japan I shall be greeted early morning with my usual flight crew "bento box" - the Western Style one - as I can't stomach sushi at 6am, so I will have mayonnaise sandwiches, and shredded cabbage a slice of orange and if I'm lucky a small OJ.

For lunch, hmmm not much choice on that one so it will be another crew bento of Rice, sushi, maybe a small piece of fried chicken and green tea.

So far not so good really....but

for dinner on the layover I will be having wanton tantanmen 100% by choice. It's a spicy ramen noodle dish with small Chinese dumplings added as a special touch with a nice amount of heat added by the extra chili in oil I'll be putting on it. And it's only 650¥ - love it!!!!

gingernut
31st May 2012, 20:51
1. Fat-laden
2. Unhealthy
3. Artery-clogging
4. Makes one prone to couch-potato-ism (okay, more than 1 word)
5. Greas

I'm not sure if that's strictly true.

No such thing as bad food, it's bad diets that kill people:)

McGoonagall
31st May 2012, 20:53
Yesterday I made a fish pie and reserved a good fillet of smoked haddock to one side. That, poached in milk and topped with two poached eggs along with thick buttered toast was breakfast. Lunch at a motorway stop is always a potential disappointment but M&S food stores give quality products at their normal prices. Pastrami on rye bread with some fruit juice. Supper was 'Shit on a Raft', devilled kidneys with added mushrooms on toast with a tot or two.

:)

flying lid
31st May 2012, 20:53
Meat 'n Tater pie barm joe with a plate of jockeys whips.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/pasti-barm.jpg

Washed down with a bottle of 2012 "Vin de Tyne" (Newcastle Broon Ale)

Why aye man !!

Tomorrow its Friday - Fish day, maybe a large battered cod, baby's yed (steak pudding), jockeys whips (Chips), mushy peas and hot gravy - (if I'm still alive !!!)

http://www.icemark.com/blog/wp-content/upload/fish_chips_peas_and_pudding_01.jpg

Just wondering what to swill this lot down with ! - A couple of pints of Tetley bitter probably.

Lid

gingernut
31st May 2012, 20:56
reminds me of many a midnight hour spent at the Topcape on Peter Street, after a rook of ale.

Kebab Starter, Kebab main, and a Kebab chaser :ok:

tony draper
31st May 2012, 20:58
One of the advantages of being constructed of a superior genetic material than the common herd one could eat everything pictured above and not put on one single ounce of weight.
:rolleyes:

Worrals in the wilds
31st May 2012, 21:44
Microwaved instant noodles.
Ham and avocado sandwich (considered microwaving, then dismissed thought as sleep deprivation psychosis :zzz:).
Microwaved tin of soup.
Microwaved supermarket lasagne and (unmicrowaved) salad.
Microwaved second tin of soup.

Pick the person who's working nights at the moment...:sad:
I cook real food when I'm not keeping vampire hours.

flying lid
31st May 2012, 21:47
I must be honest, it's usually a bowl of porridge for breakfast, tuna on brown bread bap for lunch and a salad, pasta or rice dish for tea. I bottle of beer per day (occasionally two).

I had a quadruple by pass last November. Went in for 3, they did 4 "while they where there". Ticker's fine, just the pipes were blocked - cholesterol to blame, from eating too much of the above junk over the years.

"I've given you 10 years", said the surgeon, Professor Yonan at Wythenshawe (near MAN airport) - "adjust your lifestyle and you can increase that significantly - but no guarantees"

So I have done. No pies, puds, pasties, chips, cakes, biscuits, crisps, fatty meat, etc etc etc. I've lost a stone, and my BMI & cholesterol levels are good, better than target. I feel better too, and appreciate healthy food more.

Just thought I'd share my story with you all. Moral - look after yourself - I found out the hard way. I'm now fully recovered, feel better, eat healthier.

Oh, the NHS. Lots knock it, a lifesaver for me. From diagnosis / angiogram / operation was 2 months. The by-pass op, in on sunday, home following sunday, follow up checks / physiotherapy was also first class. It took me about 4 months to get back to about normal. A great thank you to Professor Yonan and all his team at Wythenshawe.

Lid

Pinky the pilot
1st Jun 2012, 05:32
Breakfast; Toast. Multi grain.

Lunch; Don't eat lunch generally.

Dinner; Possibly a Satay Chicken; unsure at present but whatever I have will be accompanied by a glass or three of good Aussie Red.:ok:

And yes, I drink red with anthing!!:p

Slasher
1st Jun 2012, 05:46
Yet to have lunch and dinner, but here's yesterday's....

Brekky - Freshly squeezed OJ and 2 pieces of toast with a
smattering of butter. Coffee later (no sugar)

Lunch - Small bowl of oatmeal with skim milk then some
really really thin slices of cold beef on large plain crackers.

Dinner - Pile of rabbit food and fruit with one piece of grain
bread. Glass of red wine.

I overnight starting tomorrow where there'll be some small
dietary changes...:E

probes
1st Jun 2012, 05:48
Hope the "What are you eating today?" will extend to tomorrow as well?
(what's the e-mail of Mrs. S, btw?) :E

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jun 2012, 06:14
Slash, you poor bugger...

Breakfast: Left over curry with a couple of boiled eggs. Quart mug of tea.

Lunch: Two slices of toast with a couple of thick wedges of home made curried brawn with whole chilis. Chuck in microwave for two minutes to melt brawn into a rich meaty gravy. Quart mug of tea.

Supper: Steak, salad, quart mug of tea.

Couple of marmalade rusks while surfing and checking email with a quart mug of tea.

Airey Belvoir
1st Jun 2012, 06:21
http://archiearchive.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/rude-beaver.jpg?w=468

Hopefully. Tonight. :E

reynoldsno1
1st Jun 2012, 06:30
Breakfast: Bowl of muesli and a glass of apple juice
4 espressos duringhe morning ....
Lunch: 2 Ham sandwiches with babaganoush spread and an apple
Dinner: Leftover beef casserole with homemade bread (w/real butter), plus a mandarin, a persimmon and five small feijoas

Breakfast tomorrow : Large BLT .... and 2 espressos

Slasher
1st Jun 2012, 06:39
Ha! I already know how the emails will run Probes... ;)

Dear Mrs Slasher
It has come to my attention that your husband cheats on
his diet when he's away on overnights. I believe he does
consume pizzas and beer and thick chunks of steak and
doesn't tell you about it. He's not a conscientious dieter...
he's a very naughty boy!

Probes.

Sawatdee kah Probes
Yes I know - that's why he's on an eternal diet at home. It
does keep my grocery list bill down. As long as he doesn't
include any flight attendants during his overnight dietary
habits he won't suddenly lose several ounces of flesh from
his overall weight total when he gets home.

Kap koon ka

Mrs Slasher

sitigeltfel
1st Jun 2012, 06:44
Entry for young landscape photographer of the year.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02235/Taliesin_Coombes_O_2235222k.jpg

A god fry up and a steam choo-choo, all one needs! :ok:

probes
1st Jun 2012, 06:55
It has come to my attention that your husband cheats on
his diet
http://mail.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo31.gif Oh, Slash, if it's only cheating on diet...

Thanks for the kind answer from Mrs. S anyway! :cool:

Worrals in the wilds
1st Jun 2012, 07:31
It has come to my attention that your husband cheats on his dietI can't vouch for its authenticity but I heard a story from an eyewitness about a local 'health retreat' (the PC name for fat camp) in the hinterlands that's usually chock full of fatties on a forced stint of lettuce and lentils. They pay through the nose, too, so I've added running fat camps to the list of Industries I Should Have Gone Into. :(

Anyway, all was going well until the day three Dominos pizza vans carrying about fifty pizzas (for the motorcycle gang who owned the property up the road) took a wrong turn and ended up on the Fat Camp doorstep.

In a matter of seconds they found themselves surrounded by large, starving aggressive people who'd paid a fortune to spend a week eating lentils and weren't gonna take it any more...

They were scarier than the bikies, apparently. :E:}

radeng
1st Jun 2012, 08:32
Worrals,

I hope you take the soup out of the tins before microwaving it!

Tankertrashnav
1st Jun 2012, 09:14
The whole point about all the "unhealthy" food illustrated here is that is fine as an occasional treat. I'm as big a fan of veg, fruit, salad, wholemeal bread etc etc as the next PPRuNer, but an occasional lapse into the sort of thing illustrated by Tableview is just a way of rebelling against the food fascism of those who would compel us to eat healthily all the time. In the same vein, I am a very moderate drinker (5 units a week max as a general rule) but would have regarded myself a real party pooper if I had gone to my brother's birthday bash last week and primly restricted myself to two drinks.

A little bit of what you fancy, as they say (but not every day).

probes
1st Jun 2012, 09:59
rebelling against the food fascism of those who would compel us to eat healthily
oh, my. Isn't it your own health that compels you to do things? :confused:

The SSK
1st Jun 2012, 11:34
Flûte aux raisins 60% (Farine de blé, Corinthe, noisettes), brie de Meaux 26%, sirop de Liège 8%, roquette 6%.

Translation on request but basically a posh cheese sarnie.

Lon More
1st Jun 2012, 12:00
Breakfast - 2 weetabix (years ago they used to stay solid, now they go direct to mush; feel like hoying them directly down the pan and cutting out the middle man). a yakult, mug of coffee
Mid morning - orange
lunch - cup a soup, 2 slices wholegrain bread, coffee
Afternoon snack - another orange
Evening meal- lettuce, tomatoes, Baco bits®, low fat salad cream, 2 slices bread, coffee
Through the day and evening - bottle of zero sugar ice tea

Rarely eat red meat these days. I recently found that the local version of Quorn is tasty

Alloa Akbar
1st Jun 2012, 12:15
Just troughed a healthy lunch of a bottle of coke, a custard tart and a strawberry tart.. well I wasn't much hungry after my eggs / bacon / sausage / onion / beans / melted cheese breakfast bap! :ok:

rgbrock1
1st Jun 2012, 12:31
Alloha:

How're your arteries treating you these days, eh? Feeling a bit clogged are they?!!!!!

beaufort1
1st Jun 2012, 12:40
Just been fed some poncy ravioli type pasta with goats cheese and caramelised red onion inside. Goats cheese looked like Polyfilla. :* Apparently it was good for me.:hmm:

Storminnorm
1st Jun 2012, 13:54
Sausage Sandwich.

Sausage Sandwich.

Sausage Sandwich.

Horlicks.

Bed.

RJM
1st Jun 2012, 14:19
Breakfast: toast and coffee

Lunch: a meat pie and an orange

Dinner: sardines on toast, two oranges, coffee

Judging by the menu, my life looks a bit sad. It's actually ok, but I don't like wasting time on food. I can turn on the electric kettle, pre-warm a mug under the hot tap (sitting it on the plate the toast goes on later) and have everything ready together at about the same time. A tasty meal in minutes.

Storminnorm
1st Jun 2012, 14:21
Try a Sausage Sandwich sometime.

panda-k-bear
1st Jun 2012, 14:24
How're your arteries treating you these days, eh? Feeling a bit clogged are they?!!!!!

A buddy of mine says that he's hardening up his arteries so that he's still got something to prop him up when the osteoperosis sets in.

As for me, 1 and a half slices of toast with Rose's lime marmalade (other brands of lime marmalade are available) and a glass of OJ for breakfast (the half was because my two-and-a-half year old filched the other half as I turned my back to get the juice...)
Coffee mid-morning
Magret de canard and frites followed by brioche with apple compote and a couple of glasses of water for lunch
I've just snaffled about 4 Lifesaver candies while I ponder some printed documents
Tonight will likely be a ham and cucumber sarnie and a glass of Vimto as I'm off the booze at the moment :sad:

Storminnorm
1st Jun 2012, 14:51
The Memsahib is REALLY fussy about what she eats and how
"Good" or "Bad" it is for her. I, on the other hand, couldn't give
a monkey's toss what I eat, or when.

Guess which of us has the blood pressure problems, and it ain't ME.

Octopussy2
1st Jun 2012, 15:09
Breakfast: wholemeal and seed bread with ricotta, pink grapefruit juice mixed with fizzy water.

Lunch: roll with sundried tomatoes and ricotta (are you spotting a theme here? I have a pot to use up. ) Lemon yoghurt. Sprite Zero.

Mid-afternoon. About to have a Coke Zero. Am resisting chocolate from the vending machine (really don't need it).

Tonight will be veal saltimbocca (with parma ham, sage and marsala), saute potatos and carrots and beans (which I will ignore).

Possibly cheese afterwards cos it's Friday and we have my mother staying, so are making an effort.

Glass of chilled white port in the garden as an aperitif (not habitual, just bought some today). Followed by, doubtless, too much wine. Ideally not so much that it makes doing stuff with the children painful tomorrow.

RJM
1st Jun 2012, 15:12
Stormin, do you slice the sausages longways or in little discs?

airship
1st Jun 2012, 15:29
Today, being Friday 1st June, I shall once again be heating up a home-made curry originally cooked on Tuesday. Accompanied by a bowl of home-made chutney prepared yesterday Thursday 31st May from fresh ingredients (finely chopped red onion, tomato, thai green chilli; marinated with a squeeze of lime, sugar and salt & pepper and coriander leaves.

Got my appetite back too... :ok:

Tableview
1st Jun 2012, 15:36
I shall once again be heating up a home-made curry originally cooked on Tuesday
Aren't they just the best! The more often you heat them up and the longer you keep them, the better they are! Bon appetit.

Duckbutt
1st Jun 2012, 15:38
Off to the Lou-Shang Cantonese restaurant in St Annes with my good lady tonight, maybe have one of these:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Twyler/chinesemeal.jpg

RJM
1st Jun 2012, 21:21
Bloody hell. It looks, erm...

tony draper
1st Jun 2012, 21:25
Here's a Advert for Mr Slasher.:E
South Africa Nando's commercial Where's my Chips? - YouTube

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 21:27
Guess which of us has the blood pressure problems, and it ain't ME. Stab in the dark, her?

Slasher
1st Jun 2012, 21:33
Missus suffers the same problem Drapes!

With her though its our car keys on the high mantelpiece or
when she trims her pubes. I'm usually called out to help in
the latter. :E

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jun 2012, 08:35
oh, my. Isn't it your own health that compels you to do things? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Indeed Probes, which is why 90% of the time I go down the healthy option route. My point was that an occasional lapse into bacon butties, etc, provides a welcome contrast to the worthier fare normally consumed.

Slasher
2nd Jun 2012, 08:41
Duckbutt when I first saw that pic of your GF I thought she was eating her own genitals!!! :bored:

AlpineSkier
2nd Jun 2012, 08:46
Probably a couple of tins of (extra-fine) French beans with a drizzle of olive-oil .

Had leg in plaster for six weeks ( comes off Monday ) and this is what's left over from the one-off late-night shopping-expedition when the surgeon told me he wanted me in at 09:00 the following morning.

Actually seem to have guessed it rather well. Also, I find the beans surprisingly tasty !

Since I didn't buy any alcohol during that trip, a respite from that too.

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Jun 2012, 10:17
Skiing accident? :ouch::}

AlpineSkier
2nd Jun 2012, 13:08
No. I fell over in the street (on a patch of ice ) :{

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Jun 2012, 13:14
Ouch. :(
I hope you have a well deserved 'treat' meal (with an accompanying beverage) once released from your plaster chains.

DX Wombat
2nd Jun 2012, 15:03
Today I'm eating very little as I have a temperature and nasty cough so don't really feel like eating. I am doing my best to keep up my fluid intake. Dogs have been for a lovely walk with neighbours and their dogs. My neighbours are great. :ok:

RJM
2nd Jun 2012, 15:41
and a friendlier couple of mutts you couldn't hope to meet....

http://i46.tinypic.com/9jzlw9.jpg

Little cloud
3rd Jun 2012, 12:22
Just consumed a delicious pot of natural yogurt, found in the back of the fridge, with a best before date of September 2011. I'll be driving and flying later today!

Worrals in the wilds
3rd Jun 2012, 12:56
Cool. I do my own hallucinogenic mushrooms...get regular mushrooms, leave them in the back of the crisper for an unspecified time, find them at two in the morning and fry. :ooh:
Dogs have been for a lovely walk with neighbours and their dogs.
In the spirit of RJM's post, they've gotta be ready for their next photo shoot.:\
http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/images/dmImage/StandardImage/BBcover2_300.jpg
Sorry you're crook, get well soon! In summer, too...very unfair. :(

DX Wombat
3rd Jun 2012, 14:05
Thanks Worrals, it won't last forever it's just nasty whilst I've got it. Dogs have been out again with neighbour and are now snoozing peacefully.

11Fan
5th Jun 2012, 19:48
I had the Soup Déjà vu for lunch today. It was much better than the first time.