PDA

View Full Version : Pie and chips 5.99, chips and chips 3.99...

stuckgear
31st May 2012, 17:08
Carrying the Olympic torch as an athlete...

priceless....

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/31/article-2152653-13613068000005DC-693_634x489.jpg
Karen Ashton is pictured carrying the Olympic Flame between Macclesfield and Knutsford in Cheshire today

Only in Britain !

Milo Minderbinder
31st May 2012, 17:10
Winner of the Olympic Pie Eating Championship, sponsored by Greggs

PS - is that what the mucky mags call a "whale toe"

Tableview
31st May 2012, 17:22
Pie and chips 5.99, chips and chips 3.99...

... and will you be having chips with that, madam?

In fairness ......... she's not an athlete :

Hometown
Carrying the Flame through
Macclesfield (http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/torchbearers/community=macclesfield/index.html)
Carrying the Flame on
31 May 2012 (http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/torchbearers/day=2012-05-31/index.html)
http://www.london2012.com/imgml/torchbearers/l/56C0-1C15-995D-6E4F.jpg

Karen's nomination story
Karen is excellent at providing the customer conscience to the team and will always question the Customer experience of pushing things through at the eleventh hour. In addition with other op's managers in the business Karen has launched an NPS initiative which carries a note at the bottom of every email stating - how am I doing? let my manager know. What has impressed me the most is that one of Karens team's is the credit control team (never the most popular team) however with the coaching & structured approach Karen has instilled in that team - they are constantly making fans of their customers - not easy of you're chasing cash!

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 17:26
Britain must be a laughing stock... :ugh:

stuckgear
31st May 2012, 17:39
Tableview,

cheers for posting the heart rending back story, no tugging on the heart strings of how she overcame bulimia.

After eliminating those who can only run if carrying a flat screen TV or car stereo, the selectors must have had a tough selection choice for Macclesfield.

Sprogget
31st May 2012, 17:40

And you draw that conclusion how exactly?

west lakes
31st May 2012, 17:43
I would far rather see "real" people who have done something for the community carry the torch than athletes or celebrities, at least it shows some semblance of not being elitist

green granite
31st May 2012, 17:48
You don't consider hosting the Olympics eliteness then Westie? :E

vulcanised
31st May 2012, 17:58
To judge from the size of that entourage (not hers, the people round her) there's going to be a huge rise in the unemployment figures when this rubbish ends.

west lakes
31st May 2012, 18:11
I consider hosting the olympics a black hole that only sucks money into it! But we're talking about torch carrying here

rgbrock1
31st May 2012, 18:15
Hey, look at the bright side of your Olympic hosting: you get to deploy surface to air missile systems in London. Once the Olympics are over with, thankfully, then you can keep them deployed just in case your neighbor across the channel ever decides to get "adventurous" again!!!!

Worrals in the wilds
31st May 2012, 18:16
She is a bit tubby, but not all Olympians look like pin ups.:}
http://www.russellmark.com.au/images/stories/russellmark2-colour.jpg

At least she's not threatening to turn up in a mankini...:\
Russell Mark to do a Borat at London Olympics (http://www.theage.com.au/sport/olympics-2012/mankini-bet-traps-olympic-shooter-20120515-1ynvw.html)

ShyTorque
31st May 2012, 18:18
Looks like her event is rolling the pitch.

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 20:51
And you draw that conclusion how exactly? Sprogget:

Ii don't know about you but I come from a time when the Olympics were a wholly worthwhile thing and the Olympic flame was carried by people representative of the athletes that would be competing. To put a tracksuit on that tub of lard is a travesty in itself. To then give it the flame and parade her for the world to see is, frankly, disgusting.

Oh, yeah, I know... It's her glands... :=

wiggy
31st May 2012, 20:54
Ii don't know about you but I come from a time when the Olympics were a wholly worthwhile thing and carrying the Olympic flame was carried by people representative of the athletes that would be competing.

I'm afraid you're in danger of not being very "inclusive" AA but :ok:

Sprogget
31st May 2012, 21:10
Yes, this sort of nonsense would never be allowed anywhere else in the world.

Diana Ross's World Cup Blooper - YouTube

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 21:50
Sprogget:

That was a screw up with props for a show... This is different...

PS: I'm as English as they come, don't be fooled by where I live. ;)

ZOOKER
31st May 2012, 22:05
Looking at the OP, are the people surrounding the torch-bearer, (who are dressed in grey) officials of the Coe Military Junta?
I take it that the banana-coloured BMW following the athlete is one of the 4000 brand-new vehicles that 'Joe-Le-Tax-payer' has had to shell-out for?
NICE !

Sprogget
31st May 2012, 22:16
for a show...And there we diverge, since to me, that was a quadrennial tournament showcasing the best global athletes in their chosen field and not 'a show'.

And I am well aware of your heritage. You can't escape the expat's propensity to criticise the teat that nourished. It is on show depressingly frequently on these pages.

Jazz Hands
31st May 2012, 22:21
I appreciate this is Jet Blast, but I'm frankly disgusted by the puerile, schoolboy-level sniggering. How brave, on an anonymous forum.

Only in Britain. Yes, that's about right. :yuk:

anotherthing
31st May 2012, 22:25
Shropshire Lad et al,

Mock yea may... you ask what great and good has she achieved to be worthy of carrying the Olympic Flame.

Can you not read?

It clearly states, in the blurb Tableview found, that ...Karen has launched an NPS initiative which carries a note at the bottom of every email stating - how am I doing? let my manager know.

What more do you people want? Jeez, there's no pleasing some folk

racedo
31st May 2012, 22:29
Looking at the OP, are the people surrounding the torch-bearer, (who are dressed in grey) officials of the Coe Military Junta?
I take it that the banana-coloured BMW following the athlete is one of the 4000 brand-new vehicles that 'Joe-Le-Tax-payer' has had to shell-out for?
NICE !

Guys in grey are called "Metropolitan Police Officers" in their normal roles, they are there to provide protection and to try and avoid some idiots grabbing it seeking publicity.

The BMW are supplied Free of Charge as part of the sponsorship where there are official LOCOG partners so it will cost nothing.

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 22:42
And there we diverge, since to me, that was a quadrennial tournament showcasing the best global athletes in their chosen field and not 'a show'.

And I am well aware of your heritage. You can't escape the expat's propensity to criticise the teat that nourished. It is on show depressingly frequently on these pages. Sprogget:

Oh dear... Are you being obtuse or stupid? Diana Ross and that "attempt at kicking a penalty" during her show was just that, a show. The goal posts were a prop, (not real). Like the half time show at the Superbowl it has nothing to do with the athletes on the field of play and, as such, is incomparable to this tub of lard carrying the flame that has been traditionally carried by people more representative of the athletes. This is a conscious act by someone to give a fatty the Olympic flame - something that inherently represents physical excellence... That's what I object to.

As to the "teat that nourished"... While the view from inside the aquarium might be good, it's sometimes informative to be outside looking in as things inside change. You'd do well to take off your blinkers and come outside the aquarium for a minute.

anotherthing
31st May 2012, 22:42
Shropshire Lad,

Your admittance of ignorance is the first step to your redemption. Make up your own NPS initiative and you are cured... you may even get a free burger or two as a spot prize

ZOOKER
31st May 2012, 22:45
racedo,
Ah, "Metropolitan Police Officers", whose job it is to protect London, on duty in Macclesfield.
That makes sense, silly me, I should have recognised the uniforms.

London 2012, - 'Official Police Force'.

And what are the 2 ladies in grey called?

Sprogget
31st May 2012, 22:46
As to the "teat that nourished"... While the view from inside the aquarium might be good, it's sometimes informative to be outside looking in as things inside change. You'd do well to take off your blinkers and come outside the aquarium for a minute. QED. I note your opinion that I have never set foot outside the back door & place it alongside your others in the insight pile.

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 22:55
QED. I note your opinion that I have never set foot outside the back door & place it alongside your others in the insight pile.

I'm going to assume you are being deliberately obtuse because, in this wonderful world of political correctness, I'm not allowed to publicly state I think you are stupid.

I did not say, in any way, that you have "never set foot outside the back door". But you do give the impression that you are unable to see what a crap state our country has found itself in over the last decade or more.

Milo Minderbinder
31st May 2012, 23:15
"I appreciate this is Jet Blast, but I'm frankly disgusted by the puerile, schoolboy-level sniggering. How brave, on an anonymous forum"

And I (and others) are frankly disgusted that a fat lardass can be in any way linked in the minds of the organisers with elite athletes.
You chaps would be the first to yell "walt" at someone wearing medals and / or uniform in public to which he/she wasn't entitled.
This is no different: someone as fit as a slug being allowed to pretend an affiliation with top sportsmen.
Now if she wants to live a fat life, then fine, let her be (but I do have doubts about why the NHS should have to pay for health treatment for the self-inflicted obese and diabetic - its a lifestyle choice, not an illness) but if she wants to pretend to have any affiliation with an event such as the Olympics then she deserves every piece of verbal ordure heading her way

svhar
31st May 2012, 23:17
She may well be an athlete. I think she won a silver medal in sumo wrestling once.

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 23:25
Female Sumo wrestlers:-

Jv7tp2MVilA

They are not even half the size of Lardarse...

I suppose that means that, even in the worst possible case, she can't be considered an athlete.

Sprogget
31st May 2012, 23:35
I'm going to assume you are being deliberately obtuse because, in this wonderful world of political correctness, I'm not allowed to publicly state I think you are stupid.Sighs. AA, stay on the insults if you wish, but the point here is that throwing rocks from a distance is a tedious sport that anyone can indulge in & if you believe you can make a valid and true value judgement on an entire nation by observing some sweaty fat woman handed a doohicky by the organisers of a sporting tournament, then perhaps it's not me who has tunnel vision.

Or did you forget that yesterday a world renowned mountaineer had the torch or that last week it was in the hands of an Ivorian champions league winner? You only see what you choose to see.

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 23:45
Or did you forget that yesterday a world renowned mountaineer had the torch or that last week it was in the hands of an Ivorian champions league winner? You only see what you choose to see.

What you seem to be unable to grasp, (and therefore are feeling offended by my communications), is not that a world renowned mountaineer carried the flame yesterday but rather that the world will remember the colossally fat cow carried it today. She is what they will remember. That's the sadness in the decision to give it to her and is a reflection of where my once great country stands today. If you can't see that then you are proving my point about being "in the aquarium".

Sprogget
31st May 2012, 23:50
I think you will find I am more than capable of grasping complex abstract concepts, but you confuse that with not sharing your own narrow world view.

Projecting your views onto the world does not constitute an irrefutable conclusion. Simply stating that this or that is what the world will remember does not make it so. What are you? the world memory police?

Airborne Aircrew
31st May 2012, 23:51
Yawn...

Now you just became plain silly...

Goodnight...

Sprogget
31st May 2012, 23:54
Well goodnight too. I'll leave everyone else to tot up the number of occasions you've suggested I am stupid, more stupider or unable to understand simples ideas.

Milo Minderbinder
31st May 2012, 23:58
"yesterday a world renowned mountaineer had the torch or that last week it was in the hands of an Ivorian champions league winner?"

And the problem is the devaluation of their elite sports status by placing them on the same level as this champion donut muncher.
Those two people were there because they are role models to our youth: a live walking advert for what you can achieve as an individual if you dedicate yourself to become excellent in your chosen sport.
What message regarding personal success and excellence do our youth get from her?

Tableview
1st Jun 2012, 00:00
Now now gentlemen ............ statements like these

rather that the world will remember the colossally fat cow carried it today
frankly disgusted that a fat lardass
some sweaty fat woman handed a doohicky
To put a tracksuit on that tub of lard is a travesty in itself.
this champion donut muncher

are not acceptable to the PC fluffies who run (?) the country.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: Soon it will be a hate crime to call a fat person Ďfatí (http://www.express.co.uk/ourcomments/view/323558/Leo-McKinstry)

Quite how we get round the problems that this will pose is another story, but these space wasting do-gooders never think that through!

racedo
1st Jun 2012, 00:01
Ah, "Metropolitan Police Officers", whose job it is to protect London, on duty in Macclesfield.
That makes sense, silly me, I should have recognised the uniforms.

London 2012, - 'Official Police Force'.

And what are the 2 ladies in grey called?

London 2012 Olympics: Met Police Torch Security Team tasked with protecting the Games flame on torch relay - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/torch-relay/9270575/London-2012-Olympics-Met-Police-Torch-Security-Team-tasked-with-protecting-the-Games-flame-on-torch-relay.html)

Given this was a JB post before on Officers being offered counselling when they finished.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 00:02
"corpulently challenged" should do
None of the fluffies would understand

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 00:05
What message regarding personal success and excellence do our youth get from her? What do I care? I object to the spurious assertion that a whole country is in the bin because they gave the torch to a fatty. Explain the logic of that to me.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 00:27
I rather think the point is that the fact that most appear to believe there is nothing wrong with allowing this woman to take equal rank with elite athletes, rather proves that there is something wrong with the country, in that its populations ability at making value judgements has been suborned by the false creed of the social do-gooding left wing namby pamby liberalist equalitarians who believe excellence is bad, mediocrity is good, and that everyone should be dragged down to the same baseline level

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jun 2012, 02:33
What Milo Said... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

probes
1st Jun 2012, 04:39
Good link, Tview.
In the name of tolerance, the state has created a climate of mounting intolerance.
I hope by the time my love for beer has made me a fat drunkard, there will also be some Alcohol Acceptance Asssociation?
Also agree with Milo.

Loose rivets
1st Jun 2012, 04:53
Anyone care what I think?:hmm:

Krystal n chips
1st Jun 2012, 05:47
"I rather think the point is that the fact that most appear to believe there is nothing wrong with allowing this woman to take equal rank with elite athletes, rather proves that there is something wrong with the country, in that its populations ability at making value judgements has been suborned by the false creed of the social do-gooding left wing namby pamby liberalist equalitarians who believe excellence is bad, mediocrity is good, and that everyone should be dragged down to the same baseline level
"

That's rather good actually....as a masterclass in pure idealogical rhetoric that is. Possibly, in the throes of the creative orgasm you may well have been experiencing when you compiled it, you somehow missed out the bit about being blonde and Aryan as well....?

The whole concept of the torch bearers was ( allegedly) the inclusion of a diverse range of the population, the theory being that as the event is being promoted as the London 2012 Olympics....then those of us fortunate enough not to live in the capital would somehow feel involved.

This concept and subsequent implementation however, is probably one of the best examples of how people can be duped and conned by the saturation marketing the event has received....in essence, pure commercial greed and nothing whatsoever to do with the various sports involved.....hence negating at a stroke the inane calls for elite athletes only.

More than a little disturbing therefore that so many have failed to understand this and duly participated quite willingly.

The link below exemplifies this....albeit some on here will experience difficulty in comprehending the view expressed. If the organisers were so keen to involve the population as a whole...why didn't they pay for the torches for those carrying them?

Flaming cheek - Olympic torch bill slammed | Stratford Observer (http://www.stratfordobserver.co.uk/2012/05/30/news-Flaming-cheek---Olympic-torch-bill-slammed-39441.html)

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 08:26
in that its populations ability at making value judgements has been suborned by the false creed of the social do-gooding left wing namby pamby liberalist equalitarians who believe excellence is bad, mediocrity is good, and that everyone should be dragged down to the same baseline level

Since there are 8000 torch bearers, extending your notion of physical superiority and exclusivity to it's logical conclusion would mean that the entire UK olympic team would have to down tools about ten times over in order to show an admiring population the heights to which they should be aspiring.

It's all very well dishing out lectures on ideology but only if your own hasn't tripped over at the very first practical hurdle. This is of course notwithstanding that the original assertion that a country can be declared over and done with because from 8000 people, there was a plumpster. This is also further notwithstanding that the whole thing was baked up by a Tory peer in the first place and still further notwithstanding that not everyone in any distribution will be a six packed, muscle rippling athlete, including rock hard internet warriors running things from a keyboard at half past midnight!

I love the right wing, you guys are as comically hitched to blind ideology as those fools on the left, it just comes bundled with an unfathomable superiority.

stuckgear
1st Jun 2012, 09:21
I love the right wing, you guys are as comically hitched to blind ideology as those fools on the left, it just comes bundled with an unfathomable superiority.

ahh that's right, people who spot the irony in a morbidly obese person carrying the olympic torch are, MUST be right wing, tea party-ist facists.

mmmmmmm.

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 09:26
Your cognitive abilities are a matter for you (along with 'mmmmmm' a good dose of the lowest form of wit. I choose to use this:

has been suborned by the false creed of the social do-gooding left wing namby pamby liberalist equalitariansto make my inference.

radeng
1st Jun 2012, 09:27
Could someone tell me what 'NPS' is supposed to mean?

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2012, 09:33
Yet again here we have left wing extremists, right wing extremists.......and in the middle a group who lie in wait, just itching to take exception to anything and everything said by anyone.

The latter remind me of our oldest hen. Tired, fat, ragged and too old to run. Too old to lay eggs or do anything useful. But from the moment she gets let out in the morning she pecks the hell out of those who can.

Jazz Hands
1st Jun 2012, 09:45
The picture was posted so that people could have a cheap laugh about a fat girl - the title says it all.

If you want to snicker and point, and publicly ridicule someone from the safety of anonymity, then at least have the cojones not to dress it up as high-brow codswallop about rebelling against political correctness.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 09:53
When people start making Nazi aspersions you just know you've won the argument as they've nothig better to screech about. Saying that "you somehow missed out the bit about being blonde and Aryan as well....?" is just such an example of brainless desperate rhethoric. There is a heck of a difference between creating a Hitlerjugend, with hordes of brain-washed chanting fools, and simply accepting the fact that some people are better at sport than others.
The Olympics is supposed to be a celebration and exhibition of excellence in sport, not an example of happy-bunny "nobody fails" fake equality ethics. Sport is about winning, and there is no way anyone can rationally deny that.
If you really wanted this procession to mean something, the bearers should have been from the ranks of the many thousands of adults and children who every week take part in sports in this country - and win.
How many football / athletics / rugby / swimming / cricket / gymnactics / cycling / martial arts and other sports clubs are there in this country? While not every member of those is a winner, finding 8,000 elite people in thouse thousands of sports clubs would be possible, and would mark the point that being good at sport should mean something, thats its something to be admired.
Of course I accept the point that this procession is nothing more than a commercial travesty of what should be a notable event - but then I guess it only started as a 1930's display of Hitlers Reichspower anyway. Which is worse - a commercial travesty or a political travesty? Which is the more insiduous?
Whatever - theres no harm in having the torch procession as long as it represents something good related to the games. As it stands however, all it represents is a mindset which reduces sporting excellence to a par with eating buckets of donuts

Jazz Hands
1st Jun 2012, 10:04
When people start making Nazi aspersions you just know you've won the argument as they've nothig better to screech about.

Why would they need anything better to screech about?

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 10:36
Maybe because they have run out of legitimate points and are simply attempting to appeal to a false emotional point through irrational guilt-by-association.
The theory is, by claiming I'm a Nazi you automatically nullify any point I make irrespective of its validity simply because I'm a Nazi, irrespective of the real strength of my argument.
But of course you knew that anyway, thats why you asked the question, hoping my reaction would prove your case.
However, a problem for you: I'm no Nazi. And my argument has validity

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jun 2012, 10:46
Let's look at Karen's reason for being selected for this honour:-

Karen's nomination story
Karen is excellent at providing the customer conscience to the team and will always question the Customer experience of pushing things through at the eleventh hour. In addition with other op's managers in the business Karen has launched an NPS initiative which carries a note at the bottom of every email stating - how am I doing? let my manager know. What has impressed me the most is that one of Karens team's is the credit control team (never the most popular team) however with the coaching & structured approach Karen has instilled in that team - they are constantly making fans of their customers - not easy of you're chasing cash!

My, that's taken a lifetime of sacrifice and dedication hasn't it? She's added a huggy to the bottom of her emails and told the collections department to rein in the German Shepherds. Wow... I am in awe... That's the kind of thing role models are made of.

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 10:47
Does it? You are arguing against one form of exclusiveness over another. That comes down to individual belief & who is to say one is more valid than another? Since the organisers themselves chose the fat lady, it is equally arguable that they are widening the aspiration of those watching but not participating in the Olympics to do something about their personal failings just as much as you argue it cheapens it.

Whats more, kicking people into the long grass who don't measure up to your personal physical ideals does come with a whiff of supremacy. You would be the kind of person who rails against the untermensch, sorry, the under class sucking up the benefits and council houses and yet when one who fits the stereotype is brought in from the cold you don't like that either. No wonder you're all confused and such!

probes
1st Jun 2012, 10:55
The picture was posted so that people could have a cheap laugh about a fat girl - the title says it all.
actually the pic posted here is really favourable (compared to the others published online).
Dunno, but it reminds me of reality shows (at least the little I've seen and read about) - looks like people have been given a chance if they badly want it, and actually they have no idea what they have been used for and what the consequences might be.
But then - I might be wrong and that IS actually the spirit of Modern Olympics.

DX Wombat
1st Jun 2012, 10:56
This person (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/war-hero-ben-parkinson-walks-764381) isn't an elite athlete either, would you deny him the right to carry the torch? He will be carrying it in Yorkshire and I for one am delighted. The torch bearers were supposed to be chosen by their local community as people whom they thought had earned a right to carry the torch. It is supposed to be an opportunity for the ordinary person in the street to be able to play a small part in the Olympics.

rans6andrew
1st Jun 2012, 10:59
what Radeng said.

Gooooooooogle suggests National Parks Service? Perhaps Baloo related.

Rans6...

probes
1st Jun 2012, 11:03
:confused: But, Wombat - his story is about achievement (like sports) and overcoming difficulties, that's totally different?!
Inspirational war hero Ben Parkinson takes his first steps outside on his new legs to hand his mum a bouquet of flowers for Motherís Day.
Paratrooper Ben, 27, delighted mum Diane Dernie as he stood outside their home on his £60,000 bionic limbs.
Diane said: ďBen is incredible in the progress he has made. Iím very proud of him.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 11:04
Sproggettt

oooh, name calling now.
Sorry, but I regard myself as one of the working class untermensch. With six generations of farm workers, masons and quarrymen in my ancestry I can't really claim much in the way of silver spoons being passed down to me.

However that doesn't stop me from being aware to the fact that we live - or rather should live in a meritocracy where people are ranked by their own skills and abilities. However that presupposes the correct skills are assessed. I don't believe donut munching is a valid skill

Jazz Hands
1st Jun 2012, 11:09
Milo. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something but your argument, in a nutshell, appears to be this:

- You object to this woman carrying the torch
- You object because she's the wrong shape
- Because she's the wrong shape, it reflects badly on the country at a time of national pride

And she's not even in the Olympic squad. I take it you'd have been even more outraged over the Equatorial Guinea swimmer, who just about managed to avoid drowning in the 2000 Games, or the Samoan who dared to run in the 100m world championship in 2011. Or our own Eddie Edwards, come to that.

Firestorm
1st Jun 2012, 11:10
I just read the piece about Russell Mark, the Australian clay-pigeon shot. I shoot myself so I feel I speak with a bit of knowledge. The newspaper described him as an athlete. I know the skill required to be a top shot (and I am a looooong way from having it, but I have met two people who have). I would agree that they are very skilled shots, very naturally talented, and they work very hard to improve their performance, but 'athletes'? I don't think that is the right noun for a clay shot.

As for the lady carrying the torch. Good for her. She took part, and I didn't. So she's fat, so what. LOCOG and who ever makes the decisions say she's good enough, then she's good enough. I'm not particularly excited by the hype surrounding the event, but good for her.

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 11:31
Er, what name calling exactly? I think you've mixed me up with the very charming Airborne expat.

However that doesn't stop me from being aware to the fact that we live - or rather should live in a meritocracy where people are ranked by their own skills and abilities. However that presupposes the correct skills are assessed. I don't believe donut munching is a valid skill I have no objection to meritocracy except that the strict application as interpreted by you looking at someone you do not know nor have ever met is as insulting to her as it is me.

Put it this way, when you can show me that that woman hasn't raised a million for charity, raised ten foster children, taken in washing to pay for her kids schooling, helped her elderly neighbour across the road or generally been a good egg where she lives, then perhaps I may come across a little more on the argument.

However, so long as you see one characteristic and one characteristic only and believe that that entitles you to make a final judgment on her place in the world, then you are skating on the thinnest of ice.

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2012, 11:38
There are hundreds of thousands of young kids in UK aspiring to be the best athletes in their sport and hopefully represent UK one day. Any of them deserve to run with the torch.

Having one of those kids myself, I know that many of them will be disappointed to see that they gave the torch to someone who obviously hasn't run for many years. Her claim to "run" with the torch seems to be that she claims to be good at customer service in a credit control team....

She's not a very good Olympic role model for the kids - unless she's a brilliant darts player.

probes
1st Jun 2012, 11:38
Jazz - sorry to interfere to your argument - but she's not the wrong shape, she's unhealthily obese, and most probably it's due to wrong lifestyle. It's not ok to let her 'run' and be ridiculed, in a white whatever. It's not sporty.
As for I take it you'd have been even more outraged over the Equatorial Guinea swimmer, who just about managed to avoid drowning in the 2000 Games, or the Samoan who dared to run in the 100m world championship in 2011. Or our own Eddie Edwards, come to that.
well, they were sweet in a way, but...
I think there was even an official decision by the Olympic Committee to stop that kind of thing. After all, if there were several swimmers who barely avoid drowning... why else would there be Special Olympics and Paralympics and special World Games for vetrans and recreational hobby-sportsmen.

TZ350
1st Jun 2012, 11:44
[quote] Airborne Aircrew

What Milo Said... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

+ 1

TZ350
1st Jun 2012, 12:00
[quote] tableview
Now now gentlemen ............ statements like these

rather that the world will remember the colossally fat cow carried it today
frankly disgusted that a fat lardass
some sweaty fat woman handed a doohicky
To put a tracksuit on that tub of lard is a travesty in itself.
this champion donut muncher

are not acceptable to the PC fluffies who run (?) the country.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: Soon it will be a hate crime to call a fat person Ďfatí (http://www.express.co.uk/ourcomments/view/323558/Leo-McKinstry)

Quite how we get round the problems that this will pose is another story, but these space wasting do-gooders never think that through!

Having read the express article, it would appear that, regardless of the ultimate sacriface that has been made by thousands of service personel in the name of freedom and liberty, the time is approaching that the Hammer and Sickle ( or the Swastika.............) should be placed in the centre of the Union Jack to
symbolise " New Britain " ..:yuk::yuk::yuk:

Jazz Hands
1st Jun 2012, 12:03
she's unhealthily obese

I agree, Probes.

But I don't see why that should automatically exclude her from a minor part in the general celebration. Or why her obesity automatically gives people a right to ridicule her. Using a single measuring stick to determine acceptance is a dangerous road.

Some people here seem to have confused "non-political correctness" with simple spite.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 12:10
Jazzhands

my argument is simple
The Olympics are supposed to be an exhibition of sport and athleticism.
This woman does not qualify to be regarded as an example of either sporty prowess or athleticism. She should not be there.

You may argue that she fits within LOCOGs desire to be "inclusive" - if so it simply strengthens the argument that LOCOG are a bunch of self-serving politically minded fools who are only interested in the money made from marketing, and not interested in the quality and ethos of the games.

Sport, however you look at it, is an elitist activity. There are always winners and losers, and to suggest otherwise through some "inclusion" policy negates the respect the winners should recieve.

Sproggett
"However, so long as you see one characteristic and one characteristic only and believe that that entitles you to make a final judgment on her place in the world,"
I'm not doing that. I'm taking a characteristic which prevents her from being any kind of athelete and using that characteristic as a valid reason to state she has no place in a display of athletic prowess, or in events associated with that display. As to her place "in the world" I care not, except that should her obesity be due to a lifestyle choice I feel loathe to accept that the NHS should pay her healthcare costs when the inevitable diabetes / coronory / cancers associated with her obesity occur. She has the right to live her life as she pleases. Equally I have the right not to subsidise her bodily self-abuse. And before you ask - yes I'd say the same about extreme drinkers or smokers. But thats another argument for another thread...

Ancient Observer
1st Jun 2012, 12:13
Blimey, Sproggs, you got out of bed on the wrong side yesterday, and it continues to-day!!

You must stop attracting these argumentative sorts.........

or are you just grumpy about coming 4th?

probes
1st Jun 2012, 12:19
But I don't see why that should automatically exclude her from a minor part in the general celebration. Or why her obesity automatically gives people a right to ridicule her.
it doesn't.
The publicity she got, unfortunately, does. Not a 'right' for sure, but it was bound to happen.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 12:26
She had a right to privacy until she made herself a public personality.
She chose to take part in a public event that is costing the public purse. The public have a right to make adverse comment if what they see offends.

Sprogget
She had a right to privacy until she made herself a public personality.
She chose to take part in a public event that is costing the public purse. The public have a right to make adverse comment if what they see offends. Milo, that is so weak, you need to get your hat & coat.

I feel I have been comparatively restrained Ancient.

Let's keep in mind that my objection is to certain quarters deriding an entire nation because Locog gave an Olympic torch for 1/8000th of the journey to a fat lump.

I'm waiting for someone to credit me with a sense of perspective!

Lon More
Must be something English, giving the underdogs a chance.

Remember Eddie the Eagle?

Fliegenmong
1st Jun 2012, 12:30
LR said...

Anyone care what I think?....apparently not :confused:

Yet I'll venture this.....that story about the kid beibg asked to shell out 200 odd pounds for a souvenir torch AND the whole games host city selection process is a huge freaking con....,I said when we had the misfortune of hosting it in 2000 that -

It should be held every 4 years in Athens (Or Wherever in Greece it was originally held) Same stadium, pool, gym whatever., paid for in proportion of (Insert a formula - GDP, Past success, whatever) remove the whole bidding for host city bullsh!t, remove forever those on the Olympic gravy train....and revert to a multi disciplined showcase of athletic excellence, without the needless excesses and PC crap!

As it turned out, had the World followed my suggestion in 2000 the Greeks would likely have allowed the Stadia to decay to the state of the Parthenon because none of them would have paid the required taxes to have maintained the upkeep! :p

(Sits back and waits for the Baklava to fly!)

Oh yeah.....I have an oversize metal commemorative bottle opener from the Melbourne 1956 Olympics, Melbourne was once (still is?) home to more Greeks than any other city in the World other than Athens! :)

Jazz Hands
1st Jun 2012, 12:48
Sport, however you look at it, is an elitist activity. There are always winners and losers, and to suggest otherwise through some "inclusion" policy negates the respect the winners should recieve.

No-one's arguing that there are winners and losers.

But she's not participating in the track-and-field. She's not being put forward as our great gold-medal hope. She's not demanding a place on the podium in the 100m final. She's not denying anyone a medal - unlike a few drugs cheats I could mention. I suspect she's not even asking for a ticket to the event.

She's holding a goddamn torch for a couple of hundred yards. A task, incidentally, for which she seems adequately qualified. Yet, somehow, you've concluded she isn't. For no other reason than her waist size.

Call that what you like. I know what I'd call it.

SLFguy
1st Jun 2012, 13:04
I'm confused, why is an American taking part in this Torch run thingy??

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jun 2012, 13:14
Ok people... By the wonder of modern science and a few contacts in MI5 I bring you the transcript of the final meeting of the Olympic Flame Carrying Committee which selects the nominated individuals for the honour of carrying the flame.

All right... Order... Order!!!! Thank you... Yes, yes, I know it's a boondoggle and it'll be such fun hobnobbing with the stars but as Diversity Chair for this committee I need a bit of a hand crossing my T's and dotting the I's...

Let's see who we have so far...

Ok, we have a raft of coons... Routing, do me a favour and keep them in the country... Less for the f:mad:ers to steal... Second thoughts, keep that Scouse bastard with them too.

I have Spics, Wops and Dagos up the ying yang... Routing, have someone with a cattle prod keeping them moving or they'll be taking a siesta...

I know we have a Chink but do we have any Japs?.... You're sure Jane? Good...

There's a few Scots and Welsh, keep them in the cities, we don't want them embarrassing us with any sheep...

There's always a Paddy everywhere you look so no probs there.

I've got more Pakis than you can shake a stick at as usual... Tell them to keep moving and keep their mouths shut. I don't want them to sound like a fleet of small outboards coming down the High Street.

Ok, we have Catholics, a Jew, three Sikhs, a Buddhist... Oh, keep the Muslims away from the Jew and tell them nothing may be worn under the tracksuit... NOTHING!!!!

What's that Bill?..... Oh, yes, I remember at least one Mormon so we're covered there. Don't want to offend the future POTUS now, do we?

There's a bunch of Nancy Boys. Someone please tell them that the tracksuit is white. Even a tinge of pink is unacceptable and have them leave their copy of YMCA at home.

Yes, we have Dykes too Mary... Don't worry...

There's a few Poles and a bunch of eastern Europeans... Keep them away from the swans... Betty'll have a fit if they start scoffing them on TV...

Yes, there's a Frog and two Krauts... Do we have a Cloggie?... We do, magic...

What's that Chris?... Yeah, we have a Dwarf... Let's have extra security on him... Don't want anyone tossing him for all to see...

Oh, yeah... We have two Pikeys... Let's have a laugh... Put them on dirt tracks and watch them squirm...

Yep, check, one flid and two Downs... Got the disabled covered... Don't forget the balloons and ice cream...

What his name... Bert... Begins with S... Not Smith... Anyway, he's 99... Let's be careful here... Get the old bastard a physical and have a bathchair available ok...

One of the Paki's is just 12 so we have the youth covered... Just make sure the little shit leaves his fags at home... That's the age groups covered...

We'd better have a union member from somewhere... Please, tell me we do... You're sure?... Absolutely sure??? Good, the wankers will close down the whole Olympics if we forget them.

Yes Mark... We have them... Most of the Muslims are bleeding Arabs which is why we're keeping them away from the Kike... Got it?

Say again Bill... Errr... Good question... Anyone know if we have a dole scrounger? Anyone??? Come on people, think... Susie... We do?.... Good... Just make sure he knows this isn't considered work so his benny's are fine...

This one may be hard but do we have any drug addicts?... Good point Joe... Any one of the coons'll probably all weeded up... That's that covered...

Ok, where are we? 7,999 carriers... Perfect, one place left for a white, English male... Magic... Job's a good'un...

What's that Kristen? You're shitting me... 8,000 people and we don't have a fatty? You're f:mad:g serious aren't you? Do we need a f:mad:g fatty?... Alright, I suppose so... Did anyone nominate one?.. No shit... Really??? Someone nominated a whale called Karen... Ok, give me a laugh, what's her story?......... So, in brief she's made everyone around her feel better... Probably by handing out too much f:mad:g chocolate... I dunno, it doesn't look right having a fatty waddling along with the flame... What's that Kristen?... Alright, alright... I don't need any f:mad:g grief.. The fatty is in and the Englishman can go whistle.And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how Karen got the flame... :E

Octopussy2
1st Jun 2012, 13:40
Wot Jazz Hands and Firestorm said.:D

There's a couple of posters on here who are so full of anger and spite that I really wonder what their personal lives must be like.

Airbourne Aircrew and TZ350 what's made you like this? It's horrible to watch. And that last effort, AA - disgusting. "Flid"??? Well done. I'm awaiting your inevitable response about my lack of a sense of humour. I suspect I won't be the only one that doesn't find it hilarious.

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 13:41
Yep, I'm also wondering how things are in the 1970's.

probes
1st Jun 2012, 14:06
oohhh, Jazz... :)
She's holding a goddamn torch for a couple of hundred yards. A task, incidentally, for which she seems adequately qualified.
yes, and the whole parade around her - police, buses, co-runners, cameramen, photographers, crowds...
If you want to qualify for singing in opera, you have to sing well and look reasonable on the stage. If you don't (look), you'll have to sing extra well. There are a number who do (sing super well). Even so some have decided to lose weight to look more credible in the roles of Violetta and Alfredo (for example).
Of course it's her life and none of my business, but if she were my sister, I'd have told her not to get into the mess. Considering the pros and cons.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 15:07
ewe could see that one coming

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jun 2012, 15:16
Yeah... It was baaaaad... :}

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 15:19
must've got off on the wrong hoof

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jun 2012, 15:40
must've got off on the wrong hoof

Uh oh... We're back to cows already? :E

panda-k-bear
1st Jun 2012, 15:52
Hello chaps. I'm fat.

Should I be allowed out or would the sight of me offend your delicate eyes too much?

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I'm also a Tory. Perhaps, then, I should simply be shot?

That old 'deny the obese treatment on the NHS' chestnut's a good one (raised back at the beginning of this thread.) Does that mean, then, that the obese can opt out of paying their NHS contributions because they're forced to seek private healthcare?

hellsbrink
1st Jun 2012, 16:10
Notwithstanding how she looks, let's read Tableview's post on the woman again....

Karen's nomination story

So, she's a supervisor or manager at one of these nice firms which will call you up at all hours of day and night if you are so much as a day late with a payment and has managed to get her staff/colleagues to actually do their job with some manners. That's it? That's all that you needed to do to become a torch bearer, you only have to do your job properly? Is that sort of "skill" REALLY in such a shortage in the UK you get "recognised" in this way??

Let's face it, when you look at the people who were "on duty" that day as torch bearers she didn't deserve to be there and she shouldn't have been the "poster" person for the day.

probes
1st Jun 2012, 17:06
panda-k-bear:
Hello chaps. I'm fat.
Should I be allowed out or would the sight of me offend your delicate eyes too much?
:)
How fat are you?
Are you otherwise an enjoyable person?
Are you going to just get out or are you planning to get qualified for something?

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2012, 18:29
I'd put it on a par with me appearing on Britain's Got Talent, carrying a guitar.

I can't play a single chord and I can't sing very well either. So I'd be a prat to do it in the public eye.

Kalium Chloride
1st Jun 2012, 18:43
Sounds to me like we've one or two people baying for someone to be prohibited from participating in a social activity, based purely on a single aspect of her physical appearance.

Once you've banned her from carrying a torch - not even participating in the Games, but simply from carrying a torch - then what? Ban her from other activities in public, for which you've already decided she's unsuited?

Tell me how that's different from banning people from activities purely because you don't think their religion fits your ideal? Or because their preferred choice of partner doesn't fit your ideal? Or because their skin colour doesn't fit your ideal?

Well, I'm sorry, but this year the Games are in London. Not Nuremberg.

probes
1st Jun 2012, 18:58
Once you've banned her from carrying a torch...

sry, but it was not a process of banning most people taking part of the activity, it was about rewarding (or whatever you call it) some for some reason. :{

panda-k-bear
1st Jun 2012, 19:13
probes asked

How fat are you?
Are you otherwise an enjoyable person?
Are you going to just get out or are you planning to get qualified for something?

To take the questions in order...

1) Rather (is that higher on the scale than 'fairly'?). Not to the same scale as the lady in question, I suppose.
2) Some think so; but others not I suspect (I did say I was also a Tory :} ). But who's to say the lady in question doesn't have redeeming features?
3) I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering, so I suppose I'm qualified for something. Exactly what is another matter :E

CATIII-NDB
1st Jun 2012, 19:18
Comming from one ex offender in the baiting stakes - Yes I'm not a paragon of virtue - I honestly fell that Octopussy has a valid point.

Anyone who knows me would reject my application, to represent as an expat wanabee, HMP Eutopia in the Olympic tiddley winks trials on the grounds of, no natural muscular co ordination at all - Although as a child I could have: given the previous references to Flat Screen TV's and or Car Sterio's, the Olympic protection squad a few minutes of breathlessnes and a Bunion or two, if so inclined. (10.47 seconds for the 100 metres - probably wind assisted - Stoppit I can see a joke here too)

Lets give the person her moment of Glory - This baiting about her apparent weight is deeply offensive - and not just on PPrUne. Serew! the Daily Nosebag or what ever passes for Newspapers in the land of plenty these days.

Lets keep the vitriol for those who deserve it.

CAT III

Jazz Hands
1st Jun 2012, 19:28
it was about rewarding (or whatever you call it) some for some reason

...but only as long as the person being rewarded "looks" right?

The justification ship for this thread sailed long ago. It wasn't opened to discuss anything as noble as reward, or the suitability of role models in the Olympics. It was opened to write sh1tty spite and crude, vile toilet-level comments about a girl none of you know.

racedo
1st Jun 2012, 20:22
Given that the prime requirements to run with the Olympic Torch was that for many people you actually applied, it was an open application through a number of sources.

Those bitching about the lady and claiming their elite athlete wannabee kids missed out need to answer the question of "Why didn't they apply".

Excuses of they didn't know are pretty pathethic when all the media were running with the story for a couple of weeks.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 20:30
Racedo
its not the application process thats at fault - its the selection process

racedo
1st Jun 2012, 20:33
Milo

Nope its not.

Nobody was asked for photos etc it was just a cross selection of people representing the UK, she is more representative of the UK than any Athlete.

Frankly its her taxes that are paying for it while the elite athletes get grants / support and facilities paid for by taxpayers.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 20:39
Hello chaps. I'm fat.
Thats a lifestyle choice. A poor one, but its a choice.

The sight of you doesn't offend me unless you made a habit of espousing your fatness as being a target of achievement for others. I don't give a damn what you look like. However if you offer yourself as an example of how others should look, then I do.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I'm also a Tory. Perhaps, then, I should simply be shot?
Thats another poor lifestyle choice, but no, I can live with that

That old 'deny the obese treatment on the NHS' chestnut's a good one (raised back at the beginning of this thread.) Does that mean, then, that the obese can opt out of paying their NHS contributions because they're forced to seek private healthcare?
NO. Because you still need - like everyone else - to pay the cost of A&E, GPs surgeries, routine stuff. Its the ADDITIONAL burden placed on the NHS by a fat lifestyle choice that is objectionable. I'd also be inclined to tax the fast food companies and supermarkets on the basis of how much crap food they sold

sea oxen
1st Jun 2012, 20:40
I'm a Conservative, and I'm not fat, but who cares if she is? There'll be people carrying that damned thing who couldn't blow out a birthday candle. I doubt that the Mayor could manage more than twenty pushups - without the right motivation :ok:

And even if it is 'all must have prizes' - that's part of life in the UK now, let alone the manifesto of the IOC/LOCOG.

Give me two headlines - 'Fat bird carries Olympic torch' and 'Baroness Warsi on official business in Malaysia', and I'll take the fatty. I mean, she's cost us nothing.

SO

hellsbrink
1st Jun 2012, 21:29
Nope its not.

Nobody was asked for photos etc it was just a cross selection of people representing the UK, she is more representative of the UK than any Athlete.

Frankly its her taxes that are paying for it while the elite athletes get grants / support and facilities paid for by taxpayers.

Actually, to me it is.

Again, read what Tableview posted and what I posted. What did she actually DO to deserve the role she got? The disabled ex-squaddie doing stinkloads of voluntary work or the ex paralympian weren't chosen to be "the photo" of that part of the relay, it was someone who got the role for what seems to be a case of "box ticked". You telling me they couldn't find one more case of someone who has actually "deserved" the honour, in the eyes of many people, instead of someone who seems to be "nice".....

Now, if she was overweight but had done a lot for the community then this thread would not be going on like it has. But her looks have hidden the elephant in the room (pardon the pun), the one trumpeting "What did she actually do to take the place of someone who has actually done something?".

I'm just glad it ain't my taxes paying for it (although I'm sure some of mine work their way into the Olympic coffers via some obscure "rule" there is, but not for this star and "WTF!!" studded relay event).

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 21:51
"she is more representative of the UK than any Athlete"

If thats true then this thread has gone the full circle back to the beginning and you've just proved the point that as a country we're fat effete degenerates and deserve no respect on the world stage

RedhillPhil
1st Jun 2012, 21:56
SHE'S NOT FAT.
She's underheight.

TZ350
1st Jun 2012, 22:02
[quote]Airborne Aircrew
Ok people... By the wonder of modern science and a few contacts in MI5 I bring you the transcript of the final meeting of the Olympic Flame Carrying Committee which selects the nominated individuals for the honour of carrying the flame.

Quote:
All right... Order... Order!!!! Thank you... Yes, yes, I know it's a boondoggle and it'll be such fun hobnobbing with the stars but as Diversity Chair for this committee I need a bit of a hand crossing my T's and dotting the I's...

Let's see who we have so far..........................

Ok, we have a raft of coons... Routing, do me a favour and keep them in the country... Less for the fhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gifers to steal... Second thoughts, keep that Scouse bastard with them too.

:D:E:D:E:D:E:D That is fcuking great !!!!!!!!!!!!! My coffee just missed my keyboard :p

Nice to see some people still have a sense of humor ( and reality .............:E )

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 22:05
And this thread has just signed it's own death warrant. They say that civil society is a thin veneer. Here it's not even that.

Jazz Hands
1st Jun 2012, 22:05
The sight of you doesn't offend me unless you made a habit of espousing your fatness as being a target of achievement for others.

Espousing herself as a "target of achievement"? You make it sound like she's being handed half an hour of prime-TV three times a week to promote a keep-fat video.

She's carrying a bleedin' candle for a few yards. That's all. :ugh:

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2012, 22:16
"She's carrying a bleedin' candle for a few yards. That's all"

In full view of the worlds press - acting as an advert for British excellence in sport

And we all know why fat women carry candles, don't we?

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2012, 22:43
Those bitching about the lady and claiming their elite athlete wannabee kids missed out need to answer the question of "Why didn't they apply".

Racedo, if you mean me, I'm not bitching, just making the point that the Olympics is traditionally about athletics and not about obese credit controller wannabees who are good at customer services.

My "wannabee kid" did actually get put forward. Not by me, but by the organisation she runs for, as were all the other local kids who are getting off their backsides, away from the doughnuts and Playstations and out in the open, keeping fit and striving for greater things.

This winter season just gone, my wannabee kid proved herself to be 14th fastest in UK at under 15's cross country running. Last weekend, she competed in the Wing Athletics Championships (there's a clue to which organistion she represents, this is an aviation forum after all). Running in the under 17's group, although she's still only 14 years old, she won the gold medal for 100 metres (it's the first time she has competed at that distance) and a silver at 1500 metres, losing out by a short nose, to a girl almost two years older. She was disappointed but philosophical to come only second in the 1500 metres so I've told her we'll be working on the length of her nose in order to improve her performance. Later this month she represents the Wing in the Central and East Regional Athletics Championships. If she does well there, she will qualify to run at UK level.

However, as the one funding her activities, I would be the first to admit that she's no good at all at credit control. So, to be fair, I won't be putting her forward to carry the golden computer mouse at the next credit controllers' world championships. OK? ;)

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jun 2012, 22:45
Sprogget:

Bingo!!!! You've got it... Society is just that, a thin veneer of civility. Right under the weak, pathetic, politically correct facade demonstrated by current society are all the same emotions, prejudices, dislikes and distrusts that have festered in the human mind since the beginning of time. Everyone here that is professing the metrosexual, liberal, love all, tolerance still looks twice or more and distrusts the two males that are not of their own race on that dark street they are walking down late at night - to deny that simply proves that person a liar.

The wholesale acceptance of everyone regardless of the situation is ridiculous. While an individual may have some redeeming features they are not always appropriate as a representative of their group as a whole - no matter how nice a person they might be.

Am I a bigot?

I'm an Englishman married to an Armenian and we live in America. My sister in law, (who I love to death), is an Indonesian Muslim who lives with my brother in Singapore. Two of my best friends are a couple named David and Richard, (actually, Richard's given name is Norman but he prefers Richard). One of my employees, one I consider a personal friend, has been with me for over fifteen years and is my deputy, (when I'm not there this employee is empowered to make any and all decisions). She's black. Oh, and there's my youngest daughter... We adopted her from China two years ago yesterday.

You decide...

Oh, I forgot. My youngest sister in law is big, quite big... I still love her... Because she's smart enough not to do something like Karen did even though she is much better proportioned than Karen is - no moose toe. :ok:

Oh, I forgot... I'm an atheist... My wife is a believer as are some of my family. My wife wants my daughter brought up Christian. I can live with that. I'm hoping she'll decide for herself when she is old enough to understand the concepts.

randyrippley
1st Jun 2012, 22:48
So what did hellsbrink do to get banned?

Sprogget
1st Jun 2012, 23:00
Worst 'some of my best friends are gay blacks' post ever.

Still uber confused thinking though. I'm still waiting to be persuaded - not convinced, but lrt's go for the lower civil level of persuaded - that a sporting event of global renown contested between the very best athletes the world can provide is nonetheless proof that England is a busted flush since during the promotional tour of the symbol of that event, the opted to use a woman nominated by her peers who doesn't fit the physical ideal in your head which has absolutely nothing to do with the organisers seeking to include as much interest from the widest possible audience as they can garner.

Or are you simply going to call me stupid/obtuse/offended/silly again?

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jun 2012, 23:06
Batco?

I give up...

Send key, over...

sea oxen
2nd Jun 2012, 00:43
In full view of the worlds press - acting as an advert for British excellence in sport
plenty of the sprinting last summer, with televisions under their arms. Will they be doing that for the Olympics to make it more authentic?

Like many people, I suspect, I don't give a shit about the Olympics unless someone dies. On the other hand, as they're in London soon, I do give a shit and I wish I had died, perhaps having had a shit first as it would have at least been entertaining and not cost anything. Plus, they might cremate you on weight with all this windfarm rubbish, so it is probably best to go if you are feeling off.

- acting as an advert for British excellence in sport
We have a sport - a man's sport - where the English bit of that Union Flag seems to be doing rather well lately. And I am not talking about homosexual marriage.

I always detested Bob Hawke, what he stood for and the bludgers who voted for him - but he struck me as the sort who would say 'Bugger this, let's go to the pub'. I'll give him that.

stumpey
2nd Jun 2012, 01:58
I was invited to nominate someone to carry the torch when it comes through my home town. There was a very strong suggestion I would be successful if I put forward my disabled Son, (Nudge nudge, wink wink). His Mum didn't like the idea and talked me out of it.

Now, I don't know if she was right to do so, or for me to let her. But what I do know is;

He'll probably never have the chance to do this ever again.
Some of the people taking part have been just so damned WORTHY.
Some of the Torch Carriers it seems might only have got chosen because of who or what they knew, - like me.

And that this thread has got NOTHING to do with the price of pie and chips!
(Which are much better with mushy peas).

Just MHO. :confused:

probes
2nd Jun 2012, 06:38
ok, Sprogget - probably you agree that some activities are "looks-sensitive" (flight attendants :E? beauty contests?, film stars? adverts for programs of weight loss? - different 'criteria', though: looking good or looking healthy or whatever. The Heart Attack Grill specifically needed someone really big as a spokesperson, if I remember correctly.) and some are not. So the question is whether an olympics-promotion activity is or is not. Some think it is, some think it isn't.
Maybe we should have a poll? :}

P.S (I think it is, although if a person has been remarkable in some other way - like has overcome the disability or something - it would 'compensate'. Like for opera singers.)
And I'm sad hellsbrink got banned. Hope it's not for long?

Sprogget
2nd Jun 2012, 07:53
A poll you say? why not I say!

Let's keep in mind that the whole of my discombobulation is tied to this from page one of this thread:

I do not agree with the sentiment, I say that it is inherently a form of self justification amongst those who have left the country to throw sticks at the place and this is a prime example. When I piped up, I was referred to in short order as obtuse, stupid, offended & silly. All by the same guy. I might be all of those things, who am I to say? or care - sloping shoulders and all that, but scouring the press, I can't find any hand wringing in the national consciousness amongst her majesty's gutter press to support the idea that the world is laughing at us. To me, that is someone projecting their own narrow prejudices for their own purposes.

david1300
2nd Jun 2012, 08:38
Did no-one notice that the car behind her is not British? In some respects that is even more sad.

green granite
2nd Jun 2012, 09:05
Did no-one notice that the car behind her is not British?

Is there such a thing nowadays? (with the exception of one or two niche market makers)

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Jun 2012, 09:23
I don't see it as a laughing stock issue, because apart from anything else every other country's media is too preoccupied with writing pleasantly biased articles about their own sports stars to worry about the torch relay too much.

It certainly hasn't hit the radar here; the papers were too busy with the women's rowing scandal, a diver who's making a comeback and the synchro swimming team. :zzz: I'd guess it's the same across the globe.

Checkboard
2nd Jun 2012, 11:15
With the exception of the first day, does the torch relay (which has only been going since the Berlin Olympics :rolleyes: ) EVER make the press outside of the host country ? :confused:

green granite
2nd Jun 2012, 11:51
does the torch relay (which has only been going since the Berlin Olympics

So we can blame Herr Hitler for this charade, that's all right then.

G-CPTN
2nd Jun 2012, 11:55
I spoke with a crew who are responsible for erecting signs for road closures and diversions - they reckon that the passage of the Olympic torch is costing local authorities millions.

CATIII-NDB
2nd Jun 2012, 12:05
It was in '36 that the Nazi's took up the idea of a torch procession to drum up national interest in the games - surely with modern technology we could could come up with an alternative - Say a daily "Fun" race held throughout the nation where the winner gets two tickets for the 100 m final.

Televise say an "Egg and spoon" or three legged race - Cheese tossing or dwarf throwing - Prob with the last one I might get thrown.

And to round it off - every one who competes or turns up to watch gets a free bacon & egg Buttie or veggie burger from the sponsors + cup of Cha.

That torch procession has faint echoes for me of those Nuremberg rallies.

A genuine expression of national interest in sport, the Bacon & Egg Buttie and a portion of yesterdays spuds cut up and fried - A true, you knows who breakfast.

CAT III

[Edit: Think of the national fascination as the flame is ignited in a frying pan and brought from mount Sponsor to the participating country - Simples]

vulcanised
2nd Jun 2012, 12:35
I am reminded of that grand olde English phrase

'She looks like a bag of shit tied up in the middle'

Airborne Aircrew
2nd Jun 2012, 12:39
I do not agree with the sentiment, I say that it is inherently a form of self justification amongst those who have left the country to throw sticks at the place and this is a prime example. When I piped up, I was referred to in short order as obtuse, stupid, offended & silly. All by the same guy.You're peeved because I left and 24 years later made a rather benign detrimental comment about the UK? You need some help mate...

Jazz Hands
2nd Jun 2012, 12:47
It was in '36 that the Nazi's took up the idea of a torch procession to drum up national interest in the games

I'm sure they'd be proud that we've not only kept the torch but are still applauding people who jeer and humiliate those who don't conform to an ideal. :yuk:

Sprogget
2nd Jun 2012, 13:26
You're peeved because I left and 24 years later made a rather benign detrimental comment about the UK? You need some help mate... I don't care what you did 24 years ago, yesterday or at any point in the future. It's not about you believe it or not & thanks once again for yet another insult. You must be really, really great company.:hmm:

stuckgear
2nd Jun 2012, 14:17
I'm sure they'd be proud that we've not only kept the torch but are still applauding people who jeer and humiliate those who don't conform to an ideal. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif

Jazz Hands, you are creating this argument that there is critisism of not looking right, and argument which is false. the insinuations towards, nazi-ism, right wing factions are frankly laughable.

personally i dont care, nor do most people, if someone wants to paint themselves blue and go about wearing a floppy white hat.

the fact is obesity causes significant health problems to the heart, lungs, liver and blood. It will reduce a persons life expectancy and create an added burden on the healthcare system.

if you or anyone else wants to be overweight, obese, morbidly obese or bariatric, then that a personal lifestyle choice and no-one should expect it to be either celebrated or supported and financed by others.

the olympics are supposed to be competition of athletes and not a demonstration of social engineering, to some degree they have become a factor of panem et circenses.

The selection of this woman to carry the olympic torch is not being critisised because her body shape is not ideal, but because she is morbidly obese and selected to carry the symbol of what is supposed to be the pinnacle of althletic competition and by what measure is her achievement measured ? by a footer on her emails.

or perhaps waddling to the fridge for a morbidly obese person is a feat of athletic ability?

both you and sprogett can dress it up as an attack on people who dont fit an ideal bodyshape, but you both know that is specious argument.

this thread is a fine example of social differences in the UK, those who spot the irony and the social engineering and those that want to take offence from anything they can and make extreme accusations against those who consider it.

anyone can choose to be obese, don't expect it to be celebrated especially when we in the UK pay for a health system that spends billion on rectifying the damage done through obesity, assisting obese people in staying alive, when they have little interest in their own investment in doing so and jamming up the healthcare system.

TZ350
2nd Jun 2012, 14:21
stuckgear

:D:D:D:D

On a humourous note, I'm surprised the " Save the whales, harpoon a fat chick " supporters haven't commented...................:E

panda-k-bear
2nd Jun 2012, 14:52
The bender of minds named Milo said all of the below:

Thats a lifestyle choice. A poor one, but its a choice.

The sight of you doesn't offend me unless you made a habit of espousing your fatness as being a target of achievement for others. I don't give a damn what you look like. However if you offer yourself as an example of how others should look, then I do.

Thats another poor lifestyle choice, but no, I can live with that

All of which seem to be rather on the judgmental side - kind of like the whole of this thread, really. So, Milo, who charged you with being the judge of others, then?

I said

With Milo replying:
NO. Because you still need - like everyone else - to pay the cost of A&E, GPs surgeries, routine stuff. Its the ADDITIONAL burden placed on the NHS by a fat lifestyle choice that is objectionable

So what has to be done is a statistical analysis of non-obese people's rates of various diseases and the same work done for the obese people. From that a calculation reducing the NHS contributions of the obese in order to allow funding of the additional healthcare required to be supplied by the private sector has to be made? Lucky for me I don't live in the UK, so I don't have the shambles that is the NHS - my healthcare is 100% private. Notthat, in spite of my earlier statements (and touching wood) I've had much call to use it other than for the occasional sniffle. And what of this lady is the same? What if, for the first 30-odd years of her life she has not had cause to visit a doctor? Does she earn a rebate against all the hypochondriacs who are in the surgery twice a week?

We've banned smoking; we're in the process of banning alcohol; next on the list is obesity. Who's going to fund the aged who go on living so long?

Krystal n chips
2nd Jun 2012, 15:03
" this thread is a fine example of social differences in the UK, those who spot the irony and the social engineering"

That, I would concur with

"and those that want to take offence from anything they can and make extreme accusations against those who consider it."

That, I would not.

Brother SG....you must have been exposed to too much sunshine over the last week or so.....given your responses of late.....;)

The inferences made were to an idealogy that, lets be honest, did take a particular interest in the "perfect human body"..or rather their warped ideas of such. Now, some on here have seemingly decided that, because the lady n question has a far from svelte like figure, she should be the object of ridicule and denegration.....which is where common decency intervenes and considerably more mature views are expressed in her defence.

Nothing to do with right or left wing politics, although it's noticeable as to which side of the fence various contributors are on regarding their views....

The fact that she did participate has nothing whatsoever to do with the Olympic concept of sport....it has considerably more to do with the mass manipulation of the population ( now where has that been done before I wonder ? ) by an organisation that is cynically exploiting any opportunity to generate profit, income and promotion of the event. Social engineering in fact...CMD must be rather green with envy here.... as I said in the dedicated Olympics thread....the event should be named London Corporate Corpulence 2012.

crippen
2nd Jun 2012, 15:04
She is the only torch bearer that I have seen holding the thing with two hands.Maybe her torch is a bit overweight too.

TZ350
2nd Jun 2012, 15:22
[quote] panda-k-bear
We've banned smoking; we're in the process of banning alcohol; next on the list is obesity. Who's going to fund the aged who go on living so long?

But they're not living so long. The problem is that the aged, who are deserving of an efficient and caring NHS treatment, amd a decent standard of living, are being denied care and treatment.....because of the over expenditure on all these fcuking lard asses............. who are nothing but a financial hemorrhage on the NHS and other social services.

Jazz Hands
2nd Jun 2012, 15:43
The backpedalling to try to justify some of the more disgusting and cowardly insults towards this woman is as pathetic as it is astonishing.

Get this straight: the Olympic movement isn't about fitness. It's about sport. Fair competition. Respect for your opponent. Magnanimity from winners, graciousness from losers. If you can't tell the difference, or understand the relationship between the two, then you're out of your depth.

One thing's for sure: it's nothing to do with the idiotic snickering that opened this thread. If you want to know what's really wrong with this country, go back and read page one - the photo wasn't posted for intellectual discussion. It was posted for a cheap laugh. And don't pretend otherwise.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 15:46
Obesity set to cost NHS up to £6.3bn a year by 2015 (http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2008/10/17/48030/obesity-set-to-cost-nhs-up-to-6.3bn-a-year-by-2015.html)

'Half of UK obese by 2030
"The predictions come from one of these studies, which looked at obesity data from the US and UK, which have had the highest obesity levels in the world over the past 20 years. The researchers predict that if the current trend continues, up to 48% of men and 43% of women in the UK could be obese by 2030, adding an additional £1.9-2 billion per year in medical costs for obesity-related diseases."
'Half of UK obese by 2030' - Health News - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/08August/Pages/half-of-uk-predicted-to-be-obese-by-2030.aspx)

"Estimates of the direct NHS costs of treating overweight and obesity, and related morbidity in England have ranged from £479.3 million in 1998 to £4.2 billion in 2007. Estimates of the indirect costs (those costs arising from the impact of obesity on the wider economy such as loss of productivity) from these studies ranged between £2.6 billion and £15.8 billion
Modelled projections suggest that indirect costs could be as much as £27 billion by 2015"
https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=nhs%20cost%20due%20to%20obesity&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CF0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bhfactive.org.uk%2Ffiles%2F384%2FNOO_ec onomic-burden-of-obesity.pdf&ei=jiTKT_D3DYWHhQe2lqTsDw&usg=AFQjCNHsjp9b2zDsfxNnpzkGsAVCODzKpg&cad=rja

How big a hole does that make in our national budget?
How many genuine illnesses could that cure?
How would it affect the military budget?

stuckgear
2nd Jun 2012, 17:05
The backpedalling to try to justify some of the more disgusting and cowardly insults towards this woman is as pathetic as it is astonishing.

Get this straight: the Olympic movement isn't about fitness. It's about sport. Fair competition. Respect for your opponent. Magnanimity from winners, graciousness from losers. If you can't tell the difference, or understand the relationship between the two, then you're out of your depth.

One thing's for sure: it's nothing to do with the idiotic snickering that opened this thread. If you want to know what's really wrong with this country, go back and read page one - the photo wasn't posted for intellectual discussion. It was posted for a cheap laugh. And don't pretend otherwise.

Again, you're deliberately skirting the subject matter, now that we've sidelined the nazi / right wing / fascist 'argument' and still choose to head towards the light of sophistry.

No, olympics are not about fitness, that anyone would agree, it is about sporting competition, however, you deliberatly skirt the issue that carrying the symbol of the ultimate sporting competition by our intrepid torch bearer who would probably be out of breath from running a bath as she is morbidly obese. Not just overweight, or a little out of shape, not just being shy of svelt or a baywatch body. she is morbidly obese.

and the act that deemed her worthy of carrying the symbol of ultimate sporting competition.... a footer on her email... not something deep, meaningful and thought provoking, worthy of the Dalai Lama, bit something that is the email equivalent of a '1-800-hows-my-driving bumper' sticker.

Salad anyone?

Jazz Hands
2nd Jun 2012, 18:34
you deliberatly skirt the issue that carrying the symbol of the ultimate sporting competition by our intrepid torch bearer who would probably be out of breath from running a bath as she is morbidly obese

Better tell the impoverished Brazilian street kids in Rio not to get any ideas about carrying the torch in 2016, then.

We wouldn't want any unrepresentative individuals polluting the God-given Olympic athletic standard by walking a few yards with a symbolic torch, even if they're citizens of the host country.

Sheesh. :ugh:

Lord Spandex Masher
2nd Jun 2012, 18:43
the Olympic movement isn't about fitness. It's about sport.

You're wrong there mate, it's about money.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 18:47
"impoverished Brazilian street kids"

1) how many of them are morbidly obese? Not many
2) I suspect you'll find the average level of footballing skills in those kids would easily enable you to find from among them enough outstanding athletes and sportsmen to parade that torch with the required level of relevance

Tableview
2nd Jun 2012, 18:52
You're wrong there mate, it's about money. I'd take that a step further. It's about politicians expanding their empires and looking for glory - as well as course of getting their snouts in the trough.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w497/pprunemike/trough.png

MadsDad
2nd Jun 2012, 18:55
One thing about this argument that no-one has yet mentioned, as far as I am aware, is that the Torch is the precursor to not one but TWO sets of games, the Olympics and the Paralympics so the Olympian ideal is far from what some people appear to assume it is.

Kalium Chloride
2nd Jun 2012, 19:00
Smokers are equally guilty of pursuing an unhealthy lifestyle unsuited to Olympic-level activity.

I don't see anyone condemning them for taking part in the torch relay.

It just convinces me that the only reason this lady's been singled out is to make fun of her - the sort of schoolboy-level behaviour I'd expect from gutless morons.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 19:09
"Smokers are equally guilty of pursuing an unhealthy lifestyle unsuited to Olympic-level activity"

And if I was aware of any taking part in this preposterous procession, then I would condemn them as well.

As for "One thing about this argument that no-one has yet mentioned, as far as I am aware, is that the Torch is the precursor to not one but TWO sets of games, the Olympics and the Paralympics so the Olympian ideal is far from what some people appear to assume it is. "

Comparing someone who would keep Captain Ahab and the Pequod in work for weeks, with a Paralympian athlete is just distasteful. Obesity is not a disability: its a lifestyle choice. Fatness is a voluntary condition: disability is not

anotherthing
2nd Jun 2012, 19:34
Thank God she didn't think the torch was a Walls Cornetto.

I'll get my coat...

stuckgear
2nd Jun 2012, 20:16
Smokers are equally guilty of pursuing an unhealthy lifestyle unsuited to Olympic-level activity.

I don't see anyone condemning them for taking part in the torch relay.

see any pictures on anyone carrying the Olympic torch swigging a can of McEwans and chugging on a B & H ???

It just convinces me that the only reason this lady's been singled out is to make fun of her - the sort of schoolboy-level behaviour I'd expect from gutless morons.

mmmm.. yes insult anyone that does poscribe to your point of view, going to chiMe in with claims of Nazi-ism, right wingers fascism and eugenics??

yet you throw insult around and fail to address the actual points..

The selection of this woman to carry the olympic torch is not being critisised because her body shape is not ideal, but because she is morbidly obese and selected to carry the symbol of what is supposed to be the pinnacle of althletic competition and by what measure is her achievement measured ? by a footer on her emails.

the act that deemed her worthy of carrying the symbol of ultimate sporting competition.... a footer on her email... not something deep, meaningful and thought provoking, worthy of the Dalai Lama, bit something that is the email equivalent of a '1-800-hows-my-driving bumper' sticker.

and in case you missed it: she is morbidly obese. Not just overweight, or a little out of shape, not just being shy of svelt or a baywatch body. she is morbidly obese.

As milo points out: with a Paralympian athlete is just distasteful. Obesity is not a disability: its a lifestyle choice. Fatness is a voluntary condition: disability is not.

So the argument that it's 'schoolboy snickering' over someone who is not of prime physical appearance is laughable. how about a paraplegic, or amputee, or double amputee ?

there is no snickering, schoolboy or otherwise over the morbidly obese, its a personal choice if someone wants to munch thmselves into an early grave and a have host of medical problems on the way, snickered at ? no, it's quite literally sad that someone elects to do that to themselves and to leave their loved ones early. should it be celebrated ? no.

'I'm sick of being like this': 63st teenager vows she will lose weight and get her life back | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153672/Im-sick-like-63st-teenager-vows-lose-weight-life-back.html)

Britainís fattest teenager, 63 stone Georgia Davis, has vowed to lose weight, insisting: 'I'm sick of being like this. I want my life back.'

She was so big part of the house had to be demolished so she could be transported along a scaffold bridge in an exercise that involved took 50 emergency workers and cost £100,000.

Miss Davis is currently hooked up to an oxygen tank on a specially-designed £4,000 bed while doctors at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil carry out tests.

She is suffering from complications including diabetes and kidney failure, as well as problems with her spine, joints and skin.

The teen told The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article4351461.ece): 'This is the last time you'll see me like this.'

snickering ? no. i wish her all the luck and dedication she will need. she's still young eough to have a life ahead of her.

so stop trying to divert the discussion into something that makes *you* feel better.

AlpineSkier
2nd Jun 2012, 21:05
Get this straight: the Olympic movement isn't about fitness. It's about sport. Fair competition. Respect for your opponent. Magnanimity

Well FFS JH, what does this giant blob waddling 300 m have to do with sport or competition ?

The useless application for "winning" this stage is equally pathetic: if she had said that she regularly managed to catch the same bus to work, that would have had the same value.

probes
2nd Jun 2012, 21:43
TWO sets of games, the Olympics and the Paralympics
as for sets - there are three - Special Olympics (http://www.specialolympics.org/) as well.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 21:59
Just came across this tale

Free porridge cut accidents in obese workers at Olympics
The Olympic stadium, village and park were built by an army of overweight workers - with 3,360 of the 12,000 workers who built it diagnosed as obese.

Free porridge cut accidents in obese workers at Olympics - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9140247/Free-porridge-cut-accidents-in-obese-workers-at-Olympics.html)

Says a lot about the health of the general population and its lifestyle

probes
2nd Jun 2012, 22:10
At least 200 people in the UK are costing the NHS £16million because weighing 35 stone and more they are too fat to leave their home, it has been claimed.
Bed-ridden and needing up to four visits a day by health workers, they cost an average of £80,000 a year each, but this is believed to be just the tip of the iceberg.
Tam Fry of the National Obesity Forum told the Sun: 'The number of super-obese people who are housebound is in the hundreds.

Read more: Britain's obesity crisis: NHS spending £16m a year on 200 who are too fat to leave home | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2151962/Britains-obesity-crisis-NHS-spending-16m-year-200-fat-leave-home.html#ixzz1wfl2wBrE)

TZ350
2nd Jun 2012, 22:58
Georgia Davis love split: 63 stone teenager was struggling with guilt of dumping mystery boyfriend | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2150973/Georgia-Davis-love-split-63-stone-teenager-struggling-guilt-dumping-mystery-boyfriend.html)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/24/article-2149609-13467C7D000005DC-71_634x455.jpg A 10ft by 10ft space was cut into to the top floor of the house in Aberdare, South Wales, so that the emergency services could remove the teenager

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/24/article-2149609-13469E70000005DC-797_634x422.jpg The scene as Miss Davis was removed from her home and loaded into an ambulance last week

It cost an estimated £100,000 as emergency workers spent eight hours cutting her free as two walls of her home in Aberdare, South Wales, were demolished to remove her from her first-floor bedroom. "

Consider the plight of the unfortunate NHS staff that have to " maintain " these monstrosities..............:eek::eek::eek:

Shack37
2nd Jun 2012, 23:21
Folks, just to add my humble opinion, based on personal experience. I have a friend who is extremely obese, not because of a lifestyle choice but because there is nothing she can do about it. Her late brother had the same condition and sadly died of a heart attack. He was an eminent surgeon surrounded by fellow medical professionals who between them would have come up with a cure/remedy if one existed. Neither of them are/were obese by choice.

Please don't tar all obese persons with the same brush, sometimes a little sympathy wouldn't go amiss here and yes, I know exactly where to find it in the dictionary.

jet_noseover
2nd Jun 2012, 23:21
Here is how I see it. The lady is not "fit", but so what. Bet most behind the computers here are not either. You pretend to be and are full of "how to slim" advices.

Miss or Mrs Karen Whatsherlastname looks happy on the pic and she has the honor to carry the torch. I bet she has a loving family and a lot of friends. What else counts?

She can always lose the weight but will YOU (nicely fit) have an honor to carry the torch and represent the country?

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 23:39
"I have a friend who is extremely obese, not because of a lifestyle choice but because there is nothing she can do about it. Her late brother had the same condition and sadly died of a heart attack. He was an eminent surgeon surrounded by fellow medical professionals who between them would have come up with a cure/remedy if one existed. Neither of them are/were obese by choice."

A family who can beat the laws of thermodynamics AND relativity!
Would have been guaranteed a nobel if he'd worked at CERN
You can't create matter where none existed before. For every pound piled on in weight, a greater quantity has to be consumed. You don't get fat on sunshine and hot air
The only things stopping obese people losing weight is willpower, and people around them who fail to speak the truth

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 23:43
"will YOU (nicely fit) have an honor to carry the torch and represent the country? "

Why would I want to when there are athletes far better qualified than I to do that? I would just be happy that appropriate people represented the country. I don't think she is an appropriate person given that the Olympics is a sporting event. If there was an international contest to find excellence in call centre management or credit control, then maybe should would be the right person.
But the Olympics? No chance

jet_noseover
2nd Jun 2012, 23:52
I would just be happy that appropriate people represented the country

So..she is not "appropriate" to represent (most of) the nation?

She is not competing in the Olimpics, she just carries the torch.

Tableview
2nd Jun 2012, 23:55
The only things stopping obese people losing weight is willpower, and people around them who fail to speak the truth

I don't think that's entirely true. I have two friends, both female, who are seriously obese. Both have made efforts to lose weight. Quite how hard they have tried I don't know, but they certainly don't eat more than plenty of smaller people. I do agree though that most obese people are greedy and lack self control.

jet_noseover
2nd Jun 2012, 23:59
I also remember the China Olimpics where the organizers thought the little girl singing, was not cute enough...so they replaced her with a "appropriate one" and dubbed the voice with the ugly duckling.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 00:00
How many times do we have to go over this?
The point is that she is acting as a walking advert (should be a running advert but she wouldn't be able to do that) for an event which celebrates sporting prowess and athleticism.
In what way is she appropriate for that?

Its analogous to asking someone who worked on a pig farm and had poor personal hygiene to be a representative for Dior perfume. (Not that I suggest she does either: its just an analogy to make it easier for you to understand)

jet_noseover
3rd Jun 2012, 00:09
You do not have to go over this if you do not want to, yet you choose to...
All I am saying, that if it was not to your liking to have her carry the torch, so be it. She has been chosen, did and you need to get over it. The world saw her.

You want to discuss the "overweight" issues..there are at leas 3 other threads going in here.

Happy workout.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 00:17
In your last post you asked a direct question which required a direct answer, even though the question you asked made it clear you had not read the earlier posts in the thread as what you asked had already been covered in some detail

jet_noseover
3rd Jun 2012, 00:26
Enjoy running in the circles, masochist. :)

I guess its a done deal and she did carry the torch..eventhough it may not be yours. Fat an happy.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 00:37
"masochist"????

I've read "Venus in Furs", can't say my life is in any way analogous to Severin's

DX Wombat
3rd Jun 2012, 00:42
For all those of you taking a swipe at this lady's weight, would you please explain how you know that she doesn't have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition characterized by the accumulation of numerous cysts (fluid-filled sacs) on the ovaries associated with high male hormone levels, chronic anovulation (absent ovulation), and other metabolic disturbances. Classic symptoms include excess facial and body hair, acne, obesity, irregular menstrual cycles, and infertility.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 00:49
That gives a tendency to overweight because the hormonal imbalance can also affect the insulin regulation system: i.e. tends towards type II diabetes.
But thats controllable as for any other diabetic
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome simply makes it easier to get fat: it doesn't mean you have to take advantage of that ease. Its one of these conditions which is so often used as an excuse, not an explanation

But even if she had, it doesn't justify her inclusion in the procession (sorry I nearly said charade...)

radeng
3rd Jun 2012, 06:34
Still haven't seen an explanation of what 'NPS' means......which was her qualification for doing it.

Krystal n chips
3rd Jun 2012, 07:06
"Polycystic Ovary Syndrome simply makes it easier to get fat: it doesn't mean you have to take advantage of that ease. Its one of these conditions which is so often used as an excuse, not an explanation"

Dear Dr M, ( as in the boat song )

My thanks for offering us what is, frankly, a callous and utterly ill founded opinion regarding those who have contracted a medical condition which subsequently alters both their metabolism and genetic structure....those unfortunate enough to contract such conditions subsequently use them as an excuse do they ?.( can we take it your career is not in medicine or health care?) .......on that basis therefore, you would seem to suffer from most of the symtoms itemised below....you won't mind me saying this will you...after all, you have been more than expansive in vilifying a lady who isn't here to defend herself and who simply took part in an event along with many others....and, strangely enough, there have a been several males who could also be described as being in far from peak condition...

Narcissistic personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder)

I am bemused that you have read "Venus in Furs"...I would have thought you had more affinity with Goreans than Severine.

Jazz Hands
3rd Jun 2012, 08:22
Seems the usual suspects are still trying to squirm their way out of their discomfort. The pathetic attempt to justify the crude insults by pointing out that none of the smokers is actually smoking, or none of the drinkers drinking, really is a desperate bit of straw-clutching, right up there with the illogical "retort" over the health of the Brazilian street kids.

Give it up - those who wrote the crude opening insults lost this argument on page one.

I don't doubt that the lady probably has a poor diet and not enough exercise. I don't doubt that it's a lifestyle choice.

But those points could have been put intellectually from the outset. They weren't - they were put forward only after the morons here thought it would be funny to post a picture of a fat girl so they could jeer and write vile comments. And the rest is just horsesh1t.

Nervous SLF
3rd Jun 2012, 08:53
Well I have to say after reading "hellsbrinks" comments I am rather surprised he has been banned. Even more so when
I read some of the absolute nasty comments made by several others.

stuckgear
3rd Jun 2012, 09:31
The inferences made were to an idealogy that, lets be honest, did take a particular interest in the "perfect human body"..or rather their warped ideas of such. Now, some on here have seemingly decided that, because the lady n question has a far from svelte like figure, she should be the object of ridicule and denegration.....

Errr No. Now you are engaging in Reducto ad Absurdum..

the claims of ideal body shapes or perfect human body were joined with claims of right wing, nazi's etc etc. similarly joined with claims of school boy snickering and the justification for being morbidly obese.

For sure there are some medical conditions that cause huge weight gain or enlargement of the human body, they are, thankfully, rare and they do demand medical research and involvement. Even more so, to recover from being morbidly obese is not just a case of 'cutting down' but has to be done in a strictly managed way as once the human body becomes morbidly obese mobility is reduced and calorie intake just sustains the body mass.

but it can be done:

Neil Burns, 44, from Richmond, Kentucky, was so morbidly obese he was virtually housebound, describing his home as his 'prison'.
Now, two years on, at 310lbs, the 6ft 4in father-of-one is well on his way to reaching his goal weight of 270lbs.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/01/article-2153366-136778AD000005DC-899_306x529.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/01/article-2153366-1367789D000005DC-887_306x529.jpg

Transformed: Neil Burns, who once weighed 680lbs (left) has lost over half his body weight thanks to a simple diet and exercise regime. He now weighs 310lbs (right) and is close to his goal weight of 270lbs
From 10,000 calories a day to just 1,800: How fast food fanatic who once drank 24 sodas a day lost 370lbs the hard way | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2153366/From-10-000-calories-day-just-1-800-How-fast-food-fanatic-drank-24-sodas-day-lost-370lbs-hard-way.html#ixzz1wiS5LTu0[/quote)]

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/30/article-2152176-135CEEDE000005DC-997_306x485.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/30/article-2152176-135CF054000005DC-299_306x485.jpg

Raymond Upsall loses half his body weight after being told he would be dead in weeks | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2152176/Raymond-Upsall-loses-half-body-weight-told-dead-weeks.html#ixzz1wiSZloVT[/quote)]

surgical weight loss (gastric bands / by-pass) create other medical problems that will be with the patient for life, also the rapid weight loss outpaces skin elasticity so patients are left with the large mass of skin. weight loss regiemes that are slower paced and involve diet and exercise allow the body to recover naturally.

There are however few medical conditions that cause morbid obesity without input from the subject, but they are rare. and yes, without doubt, they should have equal care and attention under the NHS as anyone else.

aside form this, we go right back to the nub of the thread, which the obese defenders seem to be avoiding and attempting to make the thread and the contributors into some kind of personal attack against them.

olympics are not about fitness, that anyone would agree, it is about sporting competition, however, you deliberatly skirt the issue that carrying the symbol of the ultimate sporting competition by our intrepid torch bearer who would probably be out of breath from running a bath as she is morbidly obese. Not just overweight, or a little out of shape, not just being shy of svelt or a baywatch body. she is morbidly obese.

and the act that deemed her worthy of carrying the symbol of ultimate sporting competition.... a footer on her email... not something deep, meaningful and thought provoking, worthy of the Dalai Lama, bit something that is the email equivalent of a '1-800-hows-my-driving bumper' sticker.

laziness, lack of self discipline, coupled with medicority at best is the very antithesis of the ethos of the Olympics. Perhaps in this case, the selection of this torch carrier was very appropriate to the UK.

TWT
3rd Jun 2012, 10:15
The Olympic Torch relay is primarily for domestic media consumption.Worrals mentioned earlier that it would not be front page news around the world.I'd be extremely surprised to see any in-depth coverage in any media outside the UK,so no need to be 'emabarrassed',if that's what some feel.I've lived in a city that hosted an Olympics not so long ago,the Torch Relay was a very 'local' affair.