PDA

View Full Version : What the...?

Solid Rust Twotter
31st May 2012, 11:00
This may explain why the UN is regarded as a collection of prize bellthronks by those who have had any dealings with them.

UN World Tourism Organisation? WTF!?

Why Zimbabwe's President Mugabe was named UN 'tourism envoy'

Zimbabwe's President Mugabe, who signed an agreement to co-host a UN tourism conference, now has an honorary position as envoy, despite a long record of human rights abuses.

By Scott Baldauf, Staff writer / May 30, 2012

Mugabe has just been named the UN’s international envoy for tourism, despite a long record of human rights abuses.

Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe has just been named the UN’s international envoy for tourism. It’s a special recognition for Mr. Mugabe’s agreement to co-host, with Zambia, a United Nations World Tourism Organization general assembly next August.

At a ceremony in Victoria Falls, Mugabe said the agreement between Zimbabwe, Zambia, and the United Nations is of “historical importance.”

“For our people, the signing of the agreement attests to our commitment, our readiness to welcome the entire tourism fraternity to our countries,” Mugabe was quoted by the independent Zimbabwe newspaper NewsDay as saying. “For the UN World Tourism Organisation, on the other hand, the signatures testify to the confidence and trust that was bestowed upon us.”

That Mugabe, a man who faces a European Union travel ban and economic sanctions because of his repression and torture of opposition activists, would be named a UN envoy for tourism has drawn a certain amount of criticism.

Mr. Mugabe’s ruling party is accused of arresting, detaining, and in some cases killing members of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change during the 2008 national elections. He later formed a coalition government with the MDC, after an 11-month stalemate in which the national currency became worthless and inflation soared to more than 1 million percent.

Mugabe is also blamed for a violent land-reclamation campaign, in which armed thugs stormed and took over the property of white commercial farmers, as well as the Gukurahundi counterinsurgency campaign in the early 1980s against the rival ZAPO militant group in the Matabeleland region, which killed as many as 20,000 people.

So Mugabe’s selection as UN tourism envoy is not an obvious choice.

At the Victoria Falls ceremony, where Mugabe and Zambian President Michael Sata signed an agreement to hold the UNWTO assembly, the UN’s Taleb Rifai told a gathering, “By coming here, it is recognition, an endorsement on the country that it is a safe destination."

Zimbabwe once had a thriving tourism industry, both before and after the fall of the racist white Rhodesian government to Mugabe’s ZANU-PF majority government in 1980. Then, tourists flocked to see the gorgeous Victoria Falls or trundled around game parks to see lions, elephants, and rhinos in their native environment. Economic collapse and political instability changed all that, and Mugabe’s hanging on to power for 32 years has given the local tourism industry little incentive to grow. A UN conference will certainly add a little jingle in a few pockets, but once the suited diplomats leave, there is little indication that Zimbabwe’s tourism industry is heading toward a revival.

Members of the MDC, an opposition party that now shares power with Mugabe’s ZANU-PF, condemned the UN’s honoring of Mugabe.

"I can't see any justification for the man being an 'ambassador,' " Kumbi Muchemwa, an MDC spokesman told the Guardian newspaper. "An ambassador for what? The man has blood on his hands. Do they want tourists to see those bloody hands?”

Mugabe's spokesman Rugare Gumbo told the Telegraph that the "situation on the ground in Zimbabwe is not as bad as portrayed."

There have been rumors for years that Mugabe would like to step down from power, and pave the way for a peaceful succession for his ZANU-PF to remain in power, so the seeming rehabilitation of Mugabe by various UN agencies could be seen as a gentle nudge toward honorable retirement.

Navi Pillay, the UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights, urged Europe and the US to lift economic sanctions and travel bans against Mugabe and his inner circle of supporters because all three of the major parties in Zimbabwe now oppose them. Lifting sanctions would allow Zimbabwe to hold a fresh round of elections, perhaps by early next year, Ms. Pillay said.

"I would urge those countries that are currently applying sanctions on Zimbabwe to suspend them, at least until the conduct and outcome of the elections and related reforms are clear," Pillay told journalists on May 25, following a five day trip to Harare, Zimbabwe’s capital.

Could a few honorary degrees, an honorary ambassadorship, and a few thousand tourists persuade Mugabe to step down from power? Perhaps. It’s certainly a cheaper alternative to war.

Lon More
31st May 2012, 11:23
UN World Tourism Organisation? WTF!?

They hAven't got a Nigerian e-mail address by any chance?

Tableview
31st May 2012, 11:32
Words don't fail me. Nothing surprises me with that bunch of lefty arselicking pricks who relentlessly support racism as long as it is practised by a black.

On the other hand, maybe it's a joke and this is the reality:

My dear friend

I got your email when doing a search through the business directory for your country and as through an accounting irregularity we found that the position of 'UN Tourism Envoy' was set aside and had not been accounted for, we are in a position to offer it to you.

Please send $672 by Worstern Onion or Moneyscam to :
Ban Ki Moon
United Nations Plaza
New York, Lagos
America

And you will receive a packet of Rice Krispies with your award inside.

Please reply urgently to me :

Chairman
United Nations Tourism Organism
[email protected]

david1300
31st May 2012, 11:33
The world is a crazy place - sometimes I know just why I don't fit in :ok:

Ancient Mariner
31st May 2012, 11:58
Did a Goorgle for Navi Pillay, this what I found?
"Navi Pillay. Spiritual Counselor at Yabba Dabba Do! Centre of Creativity Location Durban Area"
Per

Solid Rust Twotter
31st May 2012, 12:04
Also some ANC apparatchik doing her level best to get Mugabe off the hook.

arcniz
31st May 2012, 12:17
May be just a tentative and relatively harmless way to increase dialog between Z's Generals and puppeteers and the global governance community, thereby opening a mousehole path for constructive interaction with prospective players and decision-makers in the eventual post-Mugabe regime.

Lon More
31st May 2012, 12:43
Lovely word, "Bellthronk". Seems to have first surfaced on AARSE in a description of the RAF Regiment.

Tableview
2nd Jun 2012, 11:13
This just utterly sickening. A man who, if he were white, would have been up in front of a judge in The Hague years ago, for genocide, is idolised and glorified by a bunch of arselicking spacewasters.

Dear Family and Friends,
With overnight temperatures starting to drop below 5 degrees Celsius
and frost peeping over the hedges, winter is upon us but it’s not
just the temperatures that have left us chilled and shivering in the
last few days.

Hardly had the UN Human Rights commissioner Navi Pillay left Zimbabwe
after her five day visit to the country than there was blood on the
dusty ground of Mashonaland East. During her visit Ms Pillay had
commended President Mugabe on his recent calls for no more political
violence but as soon as she was out of sight, news came of murder and
mayhem in Mudzi.

Sixty seven year old Cephas Magura died after being hit with stones
while seven other MDC members were seriously injured and rushed to
hospital in Harare. The MDC had police clearance for their rally but
said that when their members came under attack from Zanu PF youths the
police: “did not act.” Eye witnesses also said they saw the Zanu
PF Member of Parliament for the area a few metres from the site of the
attack. The MDC reported that an autopsy on Mr Magura showed there had
been multiple blows with blunt objects to his body and head. On
release from hospital another of the MDC victims not only named his
attackers but also described how his desperate calls for help from
Police were ignored. “ When I ran to the police officers seeking
protection they locked their doors and drove off at high speed leaving
us at the mercy of Zanu PF thugs,” the man said. A few days later
the US Embassy In Harare issued a strongly worded statement on the
violent encounter and clearly pointed a finger at both the
perpetrators and the police. They embassy said : “The United States
condemns the ZANU-PF thugs responsible for committing these attacks
and the members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police who failed to fulfil
their official duty to serve and protect their fellow Zimbabweans.”

Next came the news that a BBC Radio 3 classical music presenter,
Petroc Trelawny had been arrested while he was attending a music
festival in Bulawayo. Mr Trelawny had come to the country representing
a charitable organization called The British Friends of the Zimbabwe
Academy of Music and was acting as a compere at the Festival. One of
the music festival’s committee members said Mr Trelawny was:
“telling stories to about 500 children when they arrived to take him
away." Mr Trelawny was charged with failing to apply for a Temporary
Work Permit. Things got worse when Mr Trelawny slipped whilst in
police detention and dislocated his shoulder and while he was in
hospital the wrangling went on. First a judge ruled that Mr Trelwany
should not be prosecuted but immigration challenged the decision
saying Mr Trelawny had lied on his visa. Finally, a week later a
Bulawayo magistrate ruled there was no law prohibiting tourists from
taking part in music events and said Mr Trelawny was free to leave
Zimbabwe.

In the midst of murder and bloodshed, classical music and arrest, came
the amazing news that President Mugabe had been jointly chosen with
Zambia’s President to be a tourism ambassador. The pair are to
co-host the United Nations World Tourism Organization's general
assembly in August 2013. Almost as soon as the announcement had been
made, the UN came in for strong international criticism and quickly
back-pedalled. The UN said that the two weren’t actually tourism
ambassadors or even tourism leaders but in fact had just received an
open letter calling on African leaders to promote tourism That
wasn’t how Zimbabwe saw it and the government controlled Herald
newspaper had headlines boasting: “President appointed UN Tourism
Ambassador.”

It’s hard to see how tourists could be attracted to a country where
you can be stoned to death for going to a political meeting or you can
be arrested and detained for a week for being a voluntary compere at a
music concert. Zimbabwe will remember Cephas Magura and we send our
condolences to his family and friends. Until next time, thanks for
reading, love cathy 2nd June 2012. Copyright � Cathy Buckle.
www.cathybuckle.com (http://www.cathybuckle.com) <Cathy Buckle News from Zimbabwe (http://www.cathybuckle.com/)>

vulcanised
2nd Jun 2012, 12:49
Trouble is, stuff like that has become everyday routine news from Zim and I don't think enough people care any more.

arcniz
2nd Jun 2012, 13:02
Trouble is, stuff like that has become everyday routine news from Zim and I don't think enough people care any more.

Maybe not THAT so much as World already got hands full, Mugabe not going to be around much longer, no way for politicians to get him more surely than the Grim Reaper already set to do. After M, new rules expected, or serious
intervention.

Maybe.

pigboat
2nd Jun 2012, 17:02
Now that Bob the Job has been appointed Tourism Ambassador, the UN wants to apply its administrative talents to the internet.

Concern grows over plan to allow the United Nations to regulate the internet. (http://www.examiner.com/article/concern-grows-over-plan-to-allow-united-nations-to-regulate-internet)

TZ350
2nd Jun 2012, 23:53
" Why Zimbabwe's President Mugabe was named UN 'tourism envoy'

Zimbabwe's President Mugabe, who signed an agreement to co-host a UN tourism conference, now has an honorary position as envoy, despite a long record of human rights abuses.

By Scott Baldauf, Staff writer / May 30, 2012

Mugabe has just been named the UN’s international envoy for tourism, despite a long record of human rights abuses...................................................... .. "

The worlds super rich ( Gates, Soros, Buffet et al ) should stop pissing away their millions on " aid projects " , which will in the long term only allow vermin like Mugabe, Zuma et al to fortify their power bases ( and indirectly provide the funding for new breeds of the same vermin ) Instead they should form a secret cabal to " delete " these vermin, their followers and others who aspire to the same.

The human rights benefits would be immediate and also the financial savings to western governments in foreign aid would go a long way to lessening the financial crisis. Real development could take place, the UN could be downsized, cutting or eliminating the contributions to its peacekeeping forces, again a saving to western governments.

No doubt the fluffies will take umbrage at this idea ........I couldn't give a rodents rectum . :E

finfly1
3rd Jun 2012, 00:23
This decision, which is completely incomprehensible to me on any level, has succeeded in destroying any last remaining vestige of respect I might have, somehow, retained for the UN.

Why he is not swinging on the end of a rope remains one of life's mysteries. While my parents did visit Rhodesia, I would never set foot in the country now and have informed several magazine pushing tourism there that I will no longer buy their publication,.

Tableview
3rd Jun 2012, 08:43
This decision, which is completely incomprehensible to me on any level, has succeeded in destroying any last remaining vestige of respect I might have, somehow, retained for the UN.

Why he is not swinging on the end of a rope remains one of life's mysteries.Agreed 100%. It's no mystery though, organisations like the UN do not recognise racism when it is perpetrated by a black against whites. Remember that Mugape was a 'liberating hero'. Makes me want to puke.

I would never set foot in the country now and have informed several magazine pushing tourism there that I will no longer buy their publication,. There are some fairly sound arguments that tourism to countries run by brutal dictatorships such as Mugape's can in fact help the people and ultimately bring down or soften the regime. That said, I also refuse to visit Zimbabwe, although I lived there when of course it was Rhodesia, because I have seen too many lives and livelihoods destroyed by the Mugape regime. Ironically, black people have suffered more at the hands of this monster than whites.

A 10 minute video with clips and music from what was once the finest and proudest country on earth, now reduced to a ruin by the actions of one megalomaniac tyrannical despot and his even more evil wife.
iYDg3ofh7dM