PDA

View Full Version : BT service.....?

Ancient Observer
31st May 2012, 09:18
I have no (technical) idea what BT have been up to recently, but I just had a look at their speedtester for my pc.

My speed has leapt from about 6 to 16.

Over the years I have nagged them to improve my speed, which has been in the range of 4 - 6 mega whatnots per whatever. (Against, of course, a much higher advertised number). I buy their top-end service (not fibre), but have previously received a very average speed given my proximity to their gadgetry. I live about 1 km from their "switchboard" in the village, and about 700 metres from a brand new BT green box, which sits (proudly??) next to the old BT green box. Amongst various things that BT did over the years to improve my speed, the pc now sits about 6 foot from where their line emerges from the ground, they put in an "ADSL v1.0" socket about 4 foot from the pc, they (allegedly) upgraded the copper cable from my house to their nearest junction box/whatever it is called, (which the engineer pointed out is often under water). None of this stuff did anything much to change my speed, which was normally in the 4 - 6 range, but which could go lower.
So either the nearest junction box has dried out in the dry spell, and the line works better, or this mysterious new green box has had some effect.
What have they been up to??
(This area does not have fibre - neither BT nor Virgin think we are worth it.)

mixture
31st May 2012, 09:34
There are unfortunately 101 possible reasons for broadband speed fluctuations. So my advice would be to sit back and enjoy your new found (temporary ?) speed.

BOAC
31st May 2012, 10:11
I would suggest that the most likely reason is that your exchange may have been upgraded to ADSL2+ (20mb) which if you are close to the exchange/cabinet should lift your speed as you describe. SamKnows would be worth a look.

I am a little puzzled by the 'new' green cab - is it the same size as t'other?

Ancient Observer
31st May 2012, 11:27
The new green box.
The main road near us (c 700m) is an A road, and the telephone exchange sits on that road. About 300m N of the exchange is a green box which gives BT engineers no end of fun. So they can double thir opportunities for fun, they've just erected another one next to it. it is about the same size, but the paint is much more shiny. So right now there are two boxes.
If I wrote children's fiction, which I do not, then the opportunities for jealousy, falling out, eventual reconciliation and so on, between the green boxes are endless, but I'll put that on JB.

BT say the following: -
Is this about BT Infinity?

No, this upgrade is part of our ongoing network improvements.

Mr Sam says the exchange/switchboard is ADSL2+ enabled.

BOAC
31st May 2012, 16:42
Mr Sam says the exchange/switchboard is ADSL2+ enabled. - that is probably what has happened, then.

It seems a bit of a waste of money (Ah! you did say BT...............) to put in another similar newer cab when the ?eventual? fibre cab is a larger one.

vulcanised
31st May 2012, 16:44
Have I missed something with Mr Sam?

Before I can get anywhere it wants me to sign up to some project.

Mike-Bracknell
31st May 2012, 16:49
BT say the following: -
Is this about BT Infinity?

No, this upgrade is part of our ongoing network improvements.

Mr Sam says the exchange/switchboard is ADSL2+ enabled.

I'd question the BT answer, as the main/only reason they stick a secondary roadside cab in place is for Infinity.

What does Samknows say about FTTC date?

BOAC
31st May 2012, 17:35
MB - the Infinity cabinet is significantly larger than the 'standard' so I suspect BT are correct..

vulcan - skip past that bit!:)

When discussing 'BT and Cabinets', you all need to remember that the BT cabinet data is quite inaccurate, thought to be often 1km out of actual position and known in one case to be 5km out!

hellsbrink
31st May 2012, 20:37
When discussing 'BT and Cabinets', you all need to remember that the BT cabinet data is quite inaccurate, thought to be often 1km out of actual position and known in one case to be 5km out!

Not only that, but your "line" may not take the most direct route. It's not unknown for a cabinet to be 1 km away from you but the cable length is 3 or 5km. And it ain't just in the sticks either.

Mike-Bracknell
1st Jun 2012, 09:01
Not only that, but your "line" may not take the most direct route. It's not unknown for a cabinet to be 1 km away from you but the cable length is 3 or 5km. And it ain't just in the sticks either.

I'm 1.6km from the Bracknell exchange as the crow flies....yet 9.1km away as the cable runs. :ugh:

BOAC
1st Jun 2012, 10:08
So at 9.1km I assume you have no wired broadband?

Ancient Observer
1st Jun 2012, 10:48
Wierd....
On a FTTC check website, (whatever that is)
FTTC Check (http://fttc-check.alc.im/)
it suggests that my "uplift" for paying the extra for fibre would be 2.32 times my current speed. As bt speedtester has now said that my speed is about 16, then are BT shooting themselves in the foot? Why would I pay extra for fibre, when the uplift is not worth it? 16 seems enough for me, currently. (Up to 4 pcs, a couple of Apples, a couple of wi-fi tvs. No film downloading, yet, but lots of wi-fi BBC iplayer)

Anyway, the fibre only goes from the old switchboard, (OK, exchange) about 300 metres up the A road to the cabinet. They've done nought from the cabinet to Ancient Towers.

Is this catch 22 for BT? Damned if they do not upgrade, and damned if they do?

mixture
1st Jun 2012, 11:02
Anyway, the fibre only goes from the old switchboard, (OK, exchange) about 300 metres up the A road to the cabinet. They've done nought from the cabinet to Ancient Towers.

FTTC = Fibre to the cabinet
FTTH = Fibre to the home

Therefore FTTC comes before FTTH, if FTTH ever makes it your way in the near future that is !

FTTC is cheap and easy for BT to implement as they stick blown fibre down existing ducts to desired cab locations.

FTTH is where stuff starts getting expensive as you've got to dig and lay new fibre runs and then get wayleave to go across private land and drill into peoples homes etc. etc.

Ancient Observer
1st Jun 2012, 11:07
Mixture,
Thanks. I just got that level of understanding by reading some other websites.
I'll keep an eye on what they provide, over time. I suspect that the 16 will be allowed to downgrade so they can sell me fibre when they are ready. However, Virgin have no plan to put fibre down our Close, so maybe BT won't either.

mixture
1st Jun 2012, 11:22
AO,

Personally, knowing BT's abysmal level of customer service, I would pick a decent LLU ADSL line over any BT broadband product, fibre or otherwise.

Once the 21CN wholesale rates start dropping, you'll see LLU-style offerings over fibre. But will probably take some regulatory intervention to force BT to share some of that fibre infrastructure with others at a fair rate (well, fair as far as BT's pricing structure goes anyway !).

Ancient Observer
1st Jun 2012, 11:33
Mixture,
as I've said before on here, BT's customer service increases with either a good letter to the CEO, or with knowing someone reasonably senior, who can put you on to their employees and friends help team. My contact has just retired after 42 years with them.

(I've just re-read that. I'd much rather have a friend/relative at BA to give me cheap flights.)

However, to get thru to a good service, one has to be patient, and if I were running a biz from home, they would have bankrupted me a couple of times....

On a lighter note.....One day you might like to ask your BT contacts how their Chairman got his Broadband. When he was just a beancounter, he did not get much in the way of broadband. Now he is a BT Chairman, he appears to get brilliant broadband.

ericlday
1st Jun 2012, 11:40
As in most walks of life...its not what you know, its WHO you know !!!!

mixture
1st Jun 2012, 11:50
as I've said before on here, BT's customer service increases with either a good letter to the CEO, or with knowing someone reasonably senior, who can put you on to their employees and friends help team. My contact has just retired after 42 years with them.

The customer comes first. I can name you a number of ISPs where you can get good service and prompt resolution by just walking in off the street.

Its an utter sham and part of BT's disgraceful customer service that you have to escalate in order to get anything done.

Communicating with the CEO doesn't always resolve either. He's tightened down his remit in the recent years and is eager to pass the buck.

I don't see why I should have to maintain the address book that I do of various senior contacts within BT.

However, to get thru to a good service, one has to be patient, and if I were running a biz from home, they would have bankrupted me a couple of times....

Which is why if quality of service comes before cheapest price in terms of importance, you should never choose BT.

You should never have to be patient to eventually get through to a good service. You should be able to speak to people with a brain straight off the bat.

Mike-Bracknell
1st Jun 2012, 12:56
So at 9.1km I assume you have no wired broadband?

Actually I have a 3.1mbit/s connection. However this 9.1km was in 2001/2 when they sent a BT bloke out in a van and there wasn't a concept of 'wires-only' broadband. I had to wait until 2006 to get broadband, and then at approx 1.1mbit/s via RADSL. It's progressively got better and I have rewired my house and all the way to the junction box on the wall to get it up to this speed. My loop attenuation sits at 68dB at the moment.

As you can tell, i've been awaiting Infinity with baited breath (since 2009 when it was first supposed to be available in Bracknell....but not)

BOAC
1st Jun 2012, 13:00
I suspect you are now a bit 'closer' to the cabinet or you would not get those figures at all. At 9.1km you will not even smell Infinity. It 'dies' at around 5km at 0mb. Also 68db does not suggest 9.1km. I reckon around 4.

Mike-Bracknell
1st Jun 2012, 16:04
I suspect you are now a bit 'closer' to the cabinet or you would not get those figures at all. At 9.1km you will not even smell Infinity. It 'dies' at around 5km at 0mb. Also 68db does not suggest 9.1km. I reckon around 4.

I don't doubt that. Anyhow, Infinity is about 200 yds or so to the roadside cab. I worked out that the 9.1km must have been a circuitous route round 2 or more other estates.

I think I must have one of the more impressive 'multiples' from that FTTC link, at an uplift of 21.37 x the 3.1mb speed I have now :)

BOAC
1st Jun 2012, 18:26
Apologies to AO for the 'hijack', but I'm fascinated! 200 yds to an Infinity cabinet which is normally placed within 100yds of an existing cabinet and you reckon 9.1km? :confused:

rans6andrew
1st Jun 2012, 20:51
Has your "apparent speed" increased or just what the tester reports? You don't usually get something for nothing. ;)

Rans6....

EGTE
1st Jun 2012, 21:55
Sounds like a fairly standard roll out of BT's "up to 20 meg" service.

Ancient Observer
2nd Jun 2012, 11:04
Just tried speed again on bt speedtester. Still over 16. Tried others such as speedtest net and bbspeedchecker, and all agree that it is over 16. (12.00 midday local UK on a Saturday)
No obvious difference to services' speed, but I seldom download huge files such as movies.
I'll keep an eye on the green boxes as another web-site suggests that having two might be a temp thing.
There are also the usual wait 10 day comments on websites - so my 16 might be a fluke as it could settle down to less.

PS For once, I did do wot the BT e-mail had suggested, which was to reset my bt modem/router. I also turned it off for 15 minutes, much to daughter's annoyance, who seems to only watch tv thru wi-fi nowadays.

I just checked Samknows re FTTC. Sam says it is available - BT says it is not currently available, but should be from July.
So sam doesn't always know. (It is notionally available for some areas served by the switchboard/exchange - just not for me/our road)

BOAC
2nd Jun 2012, 16:35
Sam says it is available - BT says it is not currently available, - known in the trade as 'Sam Doesn't know' sometimes:)

To be fair, they can only work on BT data which is flawed. They (Sam) had my exchange 4.5 km out of position, but did correct the error eventually.

'NGA' connections will be down to post-code level, ie one p-c on an exchange will have it, the neighbouring may not, and in that p-c different houses likewise. Based on local evidence, BT appear to be 'doing' about 40% of cabinets in rural areas, and about 22% of connections on those cabinets.

Worth trying to watch Peter Cochrane's (ex BT chief technical Officer) evidence to the House of Lords Select Committee on the government's handling of the broadband 'improvement' plan - a 1:20 delivery, and the best bits here (http://br0kent3l3ph0n3.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/ex-bt-cto-slams-government-broadband-scheme/). Some eye opening comments about Thatcher's government and how it killed fibre to the home for Reagan's 'benefit'..

green granite
2nd Jun 2012, 17:09
Words fail me,
From the Telegraph.
Rural broadband would only benefit the rich, says Labour MP Graham Jones

Upgrading rural broadband is a waste of money because it will only bring faster internet shopping to the rich people who live in the countryside, the Labour MP for Hyndburn, Lancashire has claimed.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 17:41
Considering he has the ISP Supanet (the part of the Time Computers empire that the administrators couldn't prove was part of the group, so wasn't shut down) in his constituency its not so surprising that he's a bit jaundiced towards the internet
An attempt was made just before Time went smash to transfer the assets to a Dubai company - however the controlling family didn't work quickly enough and there was a fair bit left in the UK for the administrators to grab.
However its interesting that the Supanet website now shows it as domiciled in Cyprus......

I suspect this MPs comments are part of a political campaign against the owners of the group. Theres more than a lot of ill will between the local politicos and that family - sorry, I really can't say more.

Its even more interesting in that Lancashire County Council has just contracted with BT, using governnent funds, to subsidise the installation of high speed broadband to the whole of rural Lancashire - his area is included

srobarts
2nd Jun 2012, 20:24
Another in the words fail me:
BBC News - 'Ugly' cabinet dispute thwarts BT in Kensington and Chelsea (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18277561)

We have also recently noticed a speed increase since an adjacent area to us got infinity. No 1 son who has just started training in a BT call centre asked the question and was told that as people moved to Infinity those still on ADSL2+ were getting a better contention ratio.

Definition of frustration - walking past a BT Infinity cabinet every day 100m from our house and no outlook as to when our street will be upgraded!

mixture
3rd Jun 2012, 09:50
Some eye opening comments about Thatcher's government and how it killed fibre to the home for Reagan's 'benefit'..

Sounds like he is going un-necessarily political and making up random excuses to benefit BT.

Seriously. What possible benefit would fibre to the home had in 1986 ? And if you think its expensive to rollout now, I dread to think what the cost per metre would have been in 1986..... let alone in 1986 where there were no mass-produced GBICs etc.

green granite
3rd Jun 2012, 10:10
BT were going to stream television programmes Mixture, but Maggie said "No,, there must be competition." Thereby depriving the people who live in the countryside both cable TV and high speed broadband.

mixture
3rd Jun 2012, 10:27
BT were going to stream television programmes Mixture

Still think that was a cloud dream though.

Glad they didn't achieve it because they would have ended up with more of a monopoly than they do now.

Competition is a good thing and BT could have done with more of it at an earlier stage.

Edit to add:

Found a historic presentation, in 1986, BT's fibre rollout was projected as a 10 year programme costing £15 billion (probably roughly £30 odd billion after inflation in todays money)

21CN is a 5 year programme costing £10 billion.

Don't think it did BT much harm to wait. Cheaper, more efficient programme of works I'd say.

Also, given the techological developments between 1986 and 1996, the technology would have been outdated by the time they'd have finished and so they'd only be looking to rip it out and upgrade it all again anyway.

At least they can sweat the assets of the 21CN a bit longer and the upgrade costs will be lower.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 11:05
Part of the deal not mentioned would have been that in exchange for a universal supply obligation to supply the cable network, BT would have been granted monopoly statues fro phone and cable provision.
Thats what stuck in Maggie's craw

green granite
3rd Jun 2012, 11:10
Don't think it did BT much harm to wait.

You obviously don't give a ***** for rural people having the same facilities as townies then mixture

BOAC
3rd Jun 2012, 11:26
21CN is a 5 year programme costing £10 billion. - 21CN is not FTTC (I understand 21CN/'NGA' includes ADSL2+) and FTTC is not like FTTP so the costs are not directly comparable.Part of the deal not mentioned would have been that in exchange for a universal supply obligation to supply the cable network, BT would have been granted monopoly statues fro phone and cable provision.
Thats what stuck in Maggie's craw - you mean like they pretty well have now?

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 12:30
- you mean like they pretty well have now?

if you remember at the time, Cable & Wireless were bragging about how their "Mercury" fibreoptic phone network was the way of the future, while the nascent cable TV networks were beginning to show pretensions which neither would be able to finance.
In the event, all failed financially and (with the exception of a couple of small late-coming cable TV networks,) all were folded into Virgin's system.
However if the BT system had gone ahead, all those projects would have been stopped: the investors would have refused the capital. As it stands, maybe it would have been better if they had been stopped as none of those networks have ever been successful.

mixture
3rd Jun 2012, 12:56
You obviously don't give a ***** for rural people having the same facilities as townies then mixture

Erm ... NO

I DO give a ***** for rural people. But NOT at the expense of competition and a fair and open market.

BT already retain their fingers in too many pies as it is. It would only have been worse had they been given the green light in 1986 !

Old habits die hard. For example, look at the current debate over BT's PIA reference offer. The pricing is unrealistic and the restrictions placed on other operators use are archeic. PIA is primarily duct and pole sharing, however as an example BT has placed restrictions on other operators that say they cannot use the product over long distances to reach isolated communities. BT have also set restrictions in PIA to say other operators cannot use the product for backhaul for mobile masts or wireless. So basically other operators can only use PIA to access properties in areas that are already relatively well served, and not make use of it to gain access to those who are in dire need of decent broadband.

All those involved in the industry can see BT gunning for a new monopoly, using broadband as a foot in the door. However recent governments, irrespective of colour, don't seem to have a problem with it, and continue to maintain arms-reach regulation over BT and continue to provide ready access to government funds to BT.

green granite
3rd Jun 2012, 13:44
I DO give a ***** for rural people. But NOT at the expense of competition and a fair and open market.

Well thanks to attitudes like that we are now second class citizens living in the countryside, no cable TV, ultra slow internet, and no competition and a fair and open market. Luckily BT sort out problems quickly around here, it's the only good thing around here.

Mr Optimistic
3rd Jun 2012, 15:30
Steady on GG, I live out of town too. Think we are effectively subsidised by town dwellers for bus/electric/broadband/post etc as it is. Yes, could ask for more but at least we don't have to smell them;)

B Fraser
3rd Jun 2012, 16:13
Maggie said "No,, there must be competition.

Her very close friend Lord Young happened to be the chairman of Cable and Wireless.

Cable & Wireless were bragging about how their "Mercury" fibreoptic phone network was the way of the future

Indeed it was and the infrastructure enables huge volumes of data and calls to be carried across the country at very high quality.

mixture
3rd Jun 2012, 16:17
green granite ,

Believe what you want. Take a minute to understand the bigger picture and you'll understand I'm not just posting on this thread to wind you up.

I've tried my best. I'm outta here. Enjoy your soap box.

green granite
3rd Jun 2012, 17:21
It's not what I believe it's what is. Any lets just agree to differ on the matter.

Mr Optimistic
3rd Jun 2012, 17:25
I've just written a sneering snarling letter to TalkTalk expressing my 'gratitude' that they are increasing the monthly fee to £25 in order to support their aspiration to continuously provide me with an improving service. So IF YOU WORK IN TALKTALK CUSTOMER SERVICES AND ARE ASKED TO CALL ME: DON'T !

Actually I was thinking of switching to BT hence my interest in this thread.

green granite
3rd Jun 2012, 19:10
I've been with BT since my then ISP refused to give me 56K access. Thanks to an active parish council and a couple of local businesses and lots of agitation from villagers we got an early implementation of rural broadband at 2Megs and a couple of years later it went up to 8Megs. I've only had the odd problem and they have always been sorted quickly and only 1 took more than a couple of days and that was a speed drop in the evenings which turned out to be a piece of faulty exchange equipment, and that took a week to get it replaced.

Ancient Observer
4th Jun 2012, 12:31
I don't see why GG and Mixture have disagreed.
Oh, well, stuff happens.

Monopolies are in 99.999% of cases very bad things. That's why businesses love them, and it is why Trades Unions such as the BMA and BECTU exist.

BT do not have a monopoly around here. However, neither is there fierce competition. There might be if Virgin took an interest, but they do not.

The Openreach engineers who came around here trying to increase my speed some time ago had good words to say about Orange, but they are not now visible in the market.

green granite
4th Jun 2012, 13:24
Monopolies are in 99.999% of cases very bad things.

Exactly, and they way Maggie forbade BT to compete and let the cable companies decide they were only going to operate in towns, left us with BT as the monopoly supplier in the countryside and only 4 TV channels until digital TV came along.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 13:52
Orange are no longer an option if you want an unbundled service.
They sold their exchange equipment and backhaul kit to BT a year or so ago, and now just resell BT services
Orange realised they didn't have economy of scale to compete as an ISP. I can forsee that their broadband service will eventually just become a convenience service for their mobile customers, and not offered as a standalone service

mixture
4th Jun 2012, 14:28
There might be if Virgin took an interest, but they do not.

They probably have, but there probably was insufficient density to justify laying their own duct, and BT's PIA reference offer is a joke.

If other operators, such as Virgin, were allowed access to BT's poles and ducts on more reasonable commercial and legal terms then there may be greater scope for competition in otherwise poorly served areas. Unfortunatley Ofcom has no teeth and BT have most likely have too much lobbying influence.

Anyhow, I promised not to contribute to this thread anymore. So I'm off for good !

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 14:45
If you're in a rural area, you've two choices

get a mesh network set up

or go down this route with your own cables
needs the local farmers to be onboard though
B4RN.Org.uk - FTTH Broadband for the Rural North : Sponsored By Carrera IT Ltd (http://b4rn.org.uk/)

BOAC
4th Jun 2012, 17:59
I take it you have seen BT up to their 'spoiling tactics' in B4RN?:mad: Just as Cochrane described.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 18:51
I'm sure thats why they were so quick off the mark with the contract with Lancashire County Council to provide rural broadband in the remote villages.
Too late I think though - it looks like B4RN will take off.

favete linguis
4th Jun 2012, 21:23
Recent 4G tests in the UK (Cornwall and Cumbria) have produced broadband speeds circa 60MB over a wireless network. Even achieving half that speed is better than the average UK broadband speed.

When the launch of 4G arrives in September 2012 watch the likes of BT panic as users who have suffered their inadequate service for years finally get an option to kick its broadband and landlines into touch.

You may not get it in September, but its coming to a mobile near you...

LTE (telecommunication) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G_LTE)

Mr Optimistic
5th Jun 2012, 15:28
Hmm....lets wait to see the tariffs before being too optimistic.

Ancient Observer
5th Jun 2012, 16:58
Whatever fixes and fiddles BT do to make their wires work with broadband will be simple compared to what the mobile companies do. I'd bet on the very old idea that you will pay for what you get. The mobile co.s are experts at pricing systems that require 4 D spreadsheets to understand them.

Mike-Bracknell
5th Jun 2012, 17:19
Apologies to AO for the 'hijack', but I'm fascinated! 200 yds to an Infinity cabinet which is normally placed within 100yds of an existing cabinet and you reckon 9.1km? :confused:

Sorry for ignoring the thread - had loads to do....

Anyway, it is (or was?) 9.1km "as the cable runs" from the router in my house to the DSLAM in the Exchange in Bracknell town centre.

It is also 200yds/metres to the nearest roadside cab, which is in BT's plans to be FTTC enabled *WHEN* BT pull their finger out and stop delaying deployment in Bracknell (which was originally slated for 2009 and is now projected at 2013...or rather "current year +1" as it has been since 2009).

In 2001 I wasn't able to get broadband due to the 'whoosh' test reporting a cable length of 9.1km. I was finally able to get ADSL in 2006 (and dump my expensive WDSL service) when RADSL came into being. I am not yet getting Infinity, and am stuck at 3.1mbit/s ADSL (G.992.5)

Does that explain things slightly more clearly?

BOAC
5th Jun 2012, 18:18
Yes. I guess all along you would have been connected to the 200yd away cabinet. At 200yds you will probably see at least 30-35mb down (when................:ugh:) providing all your local loop is in good fettle. Interesting 'history' there you quote of 'enablement' - probably the worst slippage I have seen.

The current 3.1 is typical of a long feed length from the exchange.

.....and you have to hope BT will be doing YOUR cabinet...............:)

B Fraser
6th Jun 2012, 19:30
If other operators, such as Virgin, were allowed access to BT's poles and ducts on more reasonable commercial and legal terms

They enjoy more favourable terms than BT have in accessing Virgin Media's infrastructure.

Mike-Bracknell, out of curiosity, at what speed does your modem sync up ? I'm not talking about the throughput but the speed at which the device is connected. You will have to access that info on your router's setup page.

Mike-Bracknell
6th Jun 2012, 20:44
They enjoy more favourable terms than BT have in accessing Virgin Media's infrastructure.

Mike-Bracknell, out of curiosity, at what speed does your modem sync up ? I'm not talking about the throughput but the speed at which the device is connected. You will have to access that info on your router's setup page.

Hehehe...I love this noddy's guide to DSL. ;)

Here's my sync history: The 3 end columns are downstream sync at session start, at session end, and average. Funnily enough they're all the same...can't think why ;)

03/06/2012 04:01:08 - 06/06/2012 21:42:28 3009 Still Connected 3009
28/05/2012 15:19:17 - 03/06/2012 04:00:08 3041 3041 3041
28/05/2012 11:41:13 - 28/05/2012 15:18:29 3041 3041 3041
27/05/2012 04:01:08 - 28/05/2012 11:40:03 3072 3072 3072
24/05/2012 10:20:50 - 27/05/2012 04:00:07 3103 3103 3103
22/05/2012 08:54:37 - 24/05/2012 10:19:41 3103 3103 3103
22/05/2012 08:45:31 - 22/05/2012 08:54:29 3103 3103 3103
20/05/2012 09:33:49 - 22/05/2012 08:17:46 3009 3009 3009
20/05/2012 04:01:09 - 20/05/2012 09:33:07 2951 2951 2951
19/05/2012 12:02:21 - 20/05/2012 04:00:10 2951 2951 2951
19/05/2012 12:01:09 - 19/05/2012 12:01:21 2978 2978 2978
19/05/2012 11:28:01 - 19/05/2012 12:00:09 2978 2978 2978
15/05/2012 23:09:36 - 19/05/2012 11:26:42 2951 2951 2951
20/04/2012 23:42:22 - 15/05/2012 23:08:18 3013 3013 3013
20/04/2012 23:34:33 - 20/04/2012 23:41:21 3013 3013 3013
20/04/2012 19:36:46 - 20/04/2012 23:33:23 3013 3013 3013
19/04/2012 01:59:05 - 20/04/2012 19:35:10 3169 3169 3169
19/04/2012 01:56:36 - 19/04/2012 01:58:55 3169 3169 3169
19/04/2012 01:54:55 - 19/04/2012 01:56:28 3169 3169 3169
14/04/2012 05:18:13 - 18/04/2012 21:43:23 2916 2916 2916
05/04/2012 01:38:00 - 14/04/2012 05:14:51 2916 2916 2916
30/03/2012 12:04:58 - 05/04/2012 00:22:57 2916 2916 2916
22/03/2012 16:21:17 - 30/03/2012 11:14:25 2916 2916 2916
22/03/2012 03:12:22 - 22/03/2012 16:16:47 2916 2916 2916
15/03/2012 19:10:11 - 22/03/2012 00:14:06 2951 2951 2951
12/03/2012 08:25:21 - 15/03/2012 19:08:54 1732 1732 1732
07/03/2012 21:08:49 - 12/03/2012 08:24:21 3076 3076 3076
05/03/2012 12:32:32 - 07/03/2012 21:07:06 3013 3013 3013
20/02/2012 08:56:33 - 05/03/2012 12:31:33 3201 3201 3201
15/02/2012 09:27:12 - 20/02/2012 08:55:44 2827 2827 2827
28/01/2012 16:03:27 - 15/02/2012 09:26:22 2791 2791 2791
24/01/2012 22:51:31 - 28/01/2012 16:02:42 2729 2729 2729
23/01/2012 13:04:51 - 24/01/2012 17:30:46 2854 2854 2854
23/01/2012 12:22:38 - 23/01/2012 13:03:59 2823 2823 2823
20/01/2012 14:56:19 - 23/01/2012 12:21:28 2791 2791 2791
20/01/2012 14:52:17 - 20/01/2012 14:56:11 2791 2791 2791
17/01/2012 13:19:50 - 20/01/2012 14:46:33 2515 2515 2515
13/01/2012 22:15:04 - 17/01/2012 13:19:05 2417 2417 2417
13/01/2012 01:12:13 - 13/01/2012 22:13:52 2480 2480 2480
11/01/2012 16:56:48 - 13/01/2012 01:11:02 2702 2702 2702
11/01/2012 12:28:41 - 11/01/2012 16:55:56 2854 2854 2854
10/01/2012 12:22:30 - 11/01/2012 12:27:53 2854 2854 2854
07/01/2012 14:15:59 - 10/01/2012 12:21:38 2515 2515 2515
07/01/2012 10:28:05 - 07/01/2012 14:15:01 2823 2823 2823
05/01/2012 14:26:28 - 07/01/2012 10:27:06 2791 2791 2791
23/12/2011 08:31:11 - 05/01/2012 11:59:23 2729 2729 2729
22/12/2011 19:46:36 - 23/12/2011 08:30:25 2542 2542 2542
22/12/2011 17:09:24 - 22/12/2011 19:45:49 2542 2542 2542
21/12/2011 08:34:47 - 22/12/2011 17:08:05 2480 2480 2480
16/12/2011 13:09:09 - 21/12/2011 08:28:59 2480 2480 2480

B Fraser
6th Jun 2012, 20:56
Cheers Mike,

Your modem will be synced at a higher speed which is a different parameter than the throughput which I think is what you are looking at.
For example, I live out in the wilds and my modem syncs at 4500Kbps and have a 3600Kbps service on a zero errored second count measured over several days. There are 2 cabs between me and the exchange so it's not bad in the circumstances.

Mike-Bracknell
6th Jun 2012, 21:24
Cheers Mike,

Your modem will be synced at a higher speed which is a different parameter than the throughput which I think is what you are looking at.
For example, I live out in the wilds and my modem syncs at 4500Kbps and have a 3600Kbps service on a zero errored second count measured over several days. There are 2 cabs between me and the exchange so it's not bad in the circumstances.

B Fraser, I am an ISP. Those are my sync logs from "the other side" so to speak.

Ancient Observer
7th Jun 2012, 10:09
My service is still at that new level of over 16. I tested my Homeplug connected (sorry, GG) second desktop yesterday and to day, and that seems to be in the 10 (yesterday) to 13(to-day) range. I suspect that the 10 was due to the pc doing something, but as it doesn't get used much, I don't know what it was doing. (Sorry about these numbers, Mike. You deserve them more than me)

As to "real" world impact, the wi-fi TVs have not been any different, and I haven't downloaded any big files. Upload speeds have gone up to about 0.9, but I haven't used that for anything.
So whilst I'm pleased with the change, it'll be a little while before I can report on real world stuff. I'm going to set up my Sky anytime+ sometime soon. That'll show me........

Ancient Observer
30th Jun 2012, 13:27
Just a quick update.
My new BT speed is still over 16. That's good.
I decided to take advantage of this and installed Sky Anytime + over wi-fi to my main tv.
After a few hiccups, which Sky seemed keen to solve, (maybe BT should hire Sky's customer service boss?), it all works fine and seems very quick.
So my first real world benefit of a better BT speed is quick Sky Anytime plus.

Enough of technology, says SWMBO. Sort out that garden....

BOAC
30th Jun 2012, 16:57
Are you paying for 80mb?:ugh: 16 is only JUST over the minimum speed at which they will connect you to 'Infinity'!

Another little anecdote about the wonderful company. My 'Surrey Mole' tells me that the much delayed 'upgrade' of Cranleigh and Ewhurst has been further delayed due to the muppets concreting the new cabinet in to the road outside Cranleigh Post Office exactly 180 degrees back to front so no-one can access it to connect anything. It has to be dug up again.

Bear in mind that Jeremy Hunt proposes giving almost £830 million of OUR money to them to 'improve broadband' to give us nearly the 'worst in Europe' by 2015 - and quite a bit of this money will probably go to Muppets Inc..

The EU are insisting on 30mb EVERYWHERE by 2020 and BT just cannot do this. We are waiting to hear from HMG.............who are planning 24mb - or 2mb+ if you are in the sticks.

BOAC
1st Jul 2012, 08:50
Just been told that BT and Fujitsu have now 'signed up' to the BDUK scheme, so we wait with baited breath for Jeremy to tell us more! IE Do we have to target 24mb, 30 mb or what?:confused:

Ancient Observer
1st Jul 2012, 15:34
BOAC.
No, I'm paying for "up to 20". I used to get 4 - 6. Many attempts to improve did sfa. 16 is a plus for me