PDA

View Full Version : Best way to become an Airline Pilot?

Pawel747
30th May 2012, 18:34
Hey everyone, I'm 18 and currently in my last year of six form studying Maths, Systems and English Language. I'm predicted to achieve BBC grades. I have a JAR Class 1 Medical and had 1 hour of PPL training. And my question to you is what is the best way to become an Airline Pilot? I read a lot about CTC wings, OAA and the modular way (PPL, CPL + IR) but I dont know which way is the best for me. I can not afford OAA or CTC wings training as it costs about 60 - 80k pounds. But over 5 years I should be able to afford and complete PPL, CPL with IR.

So I would like to know if I can easily join an airline with an fATPL at about age of 23 - 25. Or is there a way to get a loan for CTC wings/OAA and pay them back once you complete the course and start flying just like Student Finance does with universities.

Any advice? Thank you.

redsnail
30th May 2012, 19:58
I would like to know if I can easily join an airline with an fATPL at about age of 23 - 25.
Who knows? If there's a boom and there's a shortage? What you MUST remember, is that jobs for low houred inexperience pilots are always hard to find. Do not believe the sales pitch.

If you can't do the full monty full time uber expensive course, then look at CTC Wings. Not that I recommend giving them any money what so ever, but that may be an option.

pudoc
30th May 2012, 20:02
Remember, it's more than likely you'll need to pay for your own type rating which is usually around £20k. So make sure you have money for that aswel.

Pawel747
30th May 2012, 20:43
If I'm going to do it the modular way my plan is to do it like this:

[2013 - 2016] - Aircraft Engineering Course at University.
[2012 - 2013] - PPL Licence + Build Hours.
[2013 onwards] - CPL + IR, Then Build Hours.
[2016 - 2019 or whenever I finish ] Apply for an airline.

Is this everything, or did I miss something out? Thank you.

XiRho
30th May 2012, 22:31
Don't forget there are the 14 ATPL theory exams which must be completed before CPL/IR. While I'm sure the 7 PPL exams are easily achievable alongside university, the ATPL exams require time, determination and effort to complete, especially via a distance learning course, which I am sure would be the only option if you were attending university at the same time.

I am not saying it is impossible and I myself have not attended university, but I have done the ATPL exams and the thought of having to study them alongside a full time further education course doesn't sound like fun to me.

Pawel747
30th May 2012, 23:03
My PPL exams I think might be done at University as my course is "Aircraft Engineering with pilot studies" and then after my course I think I'll have enough time for my CPL to prepare for all exams.

captain.weird
31st May 2012, 07:05
@Pawel, I'm in the same position as you, but you have to know this: do you have the money?

I'm already studying a bachelors degree and the following is my plan:

2010 - 2014: Business Engineering degree @ Uni
2014 - 2016: frozen ATPL @ Bartolini Flight School: option 1
2014 - 2018: frozen ATPL @ a local school where I'm going to do my training parttime with a fulltime deskjob: option 2

OR

Enroll a sponsorship!!

Lord Spandex Masher
31st May 2012, 08:50
The best way to become an airline pilot is for an airline to pay for everything and guarantee you a job afterwards.

Lord Spandex Masher
31st May 2012, 10:02
Well, regardless of what's on offer that is and always will be the best way to become an airline pilot.

That was the question wasn't it.

Pawel747
31st May 2012, 10:29
Thats the title of this topic, but you need to read the context aswell, the question is about which way is best for me.

pudoc
31st May 2012, 13:57
[2013 - 2016] - Aircraft Engineering Course at University.
[2012 - 2013] - PPL Licence + Build Hours.
[2013 onwards] - CPL + IR, Then Build Hours.
[2016 - 2019 or whenever I finish ] Apply for an airline.

As pointed out, ATPL exams need to fit in somewhere. They are hard. You need at least 6 months full time study on them and they will not fit along side a degree.

Confused as to why you would build hours after CPL+IR, unless you mean keeping current. But building hours is only necessary before CPL. You'll need an MCC as well before applying to airlines.

I'm paying £60k for my modular, but that'll become £80k with the type rating needed. How much is the degree going to cost you?

Bealzebub
31st May 2012, 15:31
You are asking two separate questions.

What is the best way to become an airline pilot and what is the best way for you to become an airline pilot.

The answers are very different as well. It really depends on what you can afford, as well as your ability, your timescale, and a great deal of luck.

People often muddy up the questions in order to arrive at the answer they want to hear. How do I obtain a CPL/IR (fATPL,) is a very different question from how do I obtain a job as a commercial airline pilot. Although you cannot be an airline pilot without the basic licence, the licence in itself, is not enough to be a commercial airline pilot.

Airlines generally seek experienced pilots to fulfill the vacancies that arise. That experience varies from airline to airline, but broadly reflects the market expectation particularly as regards those fundamentals of all markets, supply & demand! For many years (decades) demand has been very patchy and supply has been very plentiful. For most airlines "experience" is broadly defined as a basic of 2000-3500 hours and at least 500 hours of that on turbine (jet/turboprop) aircraft. For many pilots that experience has been acquired by "stepping stone" jobs. By that I mean pilots who have worked their way up through an industry by way of entry level jobs in such things as instructing, air taxi, and other aerial work opportunities. This may lead on into opportunities arising in smaller third and second tier airlines, or corporate and other commercial opportunities. Once the relevant experience has been aquired opportunities can be competed for with what might be termed first tier airlines, or those airlines regarded as career companies.

Many of the Captains flying for airlines today followed this route. Many others came from military aviation careers and then switched to a civilian airline career with broadly the same experience levels.

A few airlines also adopted an ab-initio career structure, that involved full time courses of approved commercial training leading to placements within their companies and then careers within those airlines. Some airlines recruited candidates for the initial training courses, and other airlines recruited the best graduates from these commercial schools. Traditionally it was a very small sector of the overall market, and such programmes were fiercely competitive and low in volume.

Over the last 15 years or so there has been an evolution in the the way the market is structured with regard to commercial airline recruitment. This evolution has been brought about by a combination of regulatory changes, economic demographics, and fundamental changes to the main business models within the industry. The results have meant longer potential careers for pilots resulting in more experience staying within the general market for a longer period of time. There have been enormous changes to terms & conditions borne out of the supply/demand curves, and the global economy as a whole. More importantly (as it affects this audience,) there have been major changes to the licencing structure and the way in which airlines recruit entry level career pilots.

To an extent the "stepping stone" career is still an option, however more and more airlines see economic and quality advantages in expanding the ab-initio cadet programmes that once were only a small part of the industry. Taking a good candidate from scratch and training them through a full time course of approved training and then into the airlines own apprenticeship programme has grown in popularity and proved to be successful for so many of the airlines that have utilised it.

This growth has, as a consequence, placed a significant squeeze on the demand for "experienced" entry level pilots for many of these same companies. They prefer (where possible) that the "experience" they demand has been something they have had total involvement with, utilizing pilots who by that time are a known product. Now, some people will argue and protest, but that is where the growth is, and that (like it or not) is the reality. By all means disbelieve what I am saying, but then look at airlines like B.A, Thompson, Thomas Cook, Monarch, Flybe, easyjet, etc. Find out where these companies are sourcing their low hour pilots from. Then try the same exercise without using the term "cadet."

The answer is really quite simple, although the truth may be unpalatable. If you want to be an airline pilot then your best chance of achieving that goal is through an airline cadet programme. That may be through a direct airline recruitment programme, or through a recognised airline/school tied programme. There is a lot of competition for these programmes. They do carry enormous financial risk, and there are no guarantees. They are also expensive.

The truth (as much as many protest otherwise) is that the "expense" ultimately becomes the deciding factor. If this methodology is out of the question, or indeed if any other factor makes it a non-starter, then your choices are more limited.

You can certainly obtain a pilots licence for less cost than is ever likely to be involved in an airline cadet programme, but that will not normally enable you to get on an airlines low hour cadet programme. Of course that doesn't rule out the "stepping stone" career, but the time, difficulty, attrition rate, and frustration of that approach shouldn't be underestimated either.

I can not afford OAA or CTC wings training as it costs about 60 - 80k pounds It will cost more than even your upper estimate I am afraid.

So I would like to know if I can easily join an airline with an fATPL at about age of 23 - 25. Or is there a way to get a loan for CTC wings/OAA and pay them back once you complete the course and start flying just like Student Finance does with universities.

No, you will not "easily" be able to join an airline. Loans for these sums of money are difficult to obtain, are usually secured on property with high levels of unencumbered equity, and only considered when the applicant (and their guarantors if required) have excellent credit references. They expect you to repay the loans at the end of your basic course, but make no mistake, they will hold title to property that ensures they will be repaid.

What is right for you is only something you can decide ultimately. That decision will be moulded by the reality of your situation. There are many options that carry significantly varying degrees of risk and opportunity. The only "guarantees" you are going to come across, are the ones that lenders will demand you (or somebody else) provide. In this industry as in most other walks of life, plan for what you want, but always have a plan B or an escape route prepared.