PDA

View Full Version : PPL/CPL near Shefield UK

sheffieldlad
30th May 2012, 13:52
Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and new to flying.
I had a 30 min trial flight recently and I have been bitten by the flying bug.
I'm just wondering if anyone on here has trained for their PPL or CPL or both at an aerodrome near Sheffield, England?

There are a few to choose from and because it's quite a substantial financial outlay and I want the best training I can get I would be grateful if some of you could share your experiences with different clubs.

Many thanks,

Paul.

bravobravo74
2nd Jun 2012, 08:10
Hi Paul,

Netherthorpe is the closest airfield at which PPL training is available as far as I know. There are two training establishments on site - Sheffield Aero Club and Phoenix Flying School. You'd undergo your flying training with either using Cessna 150/152 aircraft. Learning to fly at Netherthorpe develops take-off and landing skills (by virtue of the short grass runways) that wouldn't necessarily be acquired if you train at an airfield that has a long tarmac runway.

At CPL level you'll have to look further afield. In my opinion it's best to undertake this course on a full-time basis therefore the location of the training organisation is somewhat arbitrary. It is possible to complete a CPL or Instrument Rating course part-time but I'd advise against it unless your capacity to retain information is unusually good.

Best of luck.