PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory full time course

DeanM7
29th May 2012, 15:37
Has anyone got any recent experiences studying full time for the ATPL exams?

I had my head set with BristolGS distance learning, but it seems like it will be easier for me to attend a full time course and have it done within 6 months over the winter.

I'm leaning towards Flying Time Aviation at the minute but I've heard good things about BCFT also. I'm hoping that I can't really go wrong with either! But if any of you could put a more intelligent argument into the equation other than the price that would be great!!!

Thanks!

jetblue786
29th May 2012, 19:10
Hi,

Have you started with Flying Time Aviation I'm trying to make up my mind between Oxford, Flying Time Aviation and ProPilot and I have really struggled to get feedback from any students who may have completed training with any of these guys.

flystrathclyde
29th May 2012, 21:11
Hi,

I suggest you look at the offering at Perth Airport.

AST have a long history in aviation training.

DeanM7
30th May 2012, 07:49
@JetBlue786 I haven't started with any yet. I would love to be started by September. I didn't even think of Oxford! Had a look into them, they do seem to be a good £500 more expensive than Flying Time. But I suppose that shouldn't be the deciding factor! :ugh:

@flystrathclyde Thanks for your suggestion! I have emailed them for some information! :)

tiger88
30th May 2012, 08:27
I'm currently on the AST residential ATPL ground school and would recommend it. Good experienced lectures on hand and for the AGK side of things it's excellent with engineering training on site you have access to their hanger with various aircraft, systems and components giving young greater overall knowledge. AST use pro pilot's pad pilot notes which are pretty good.

I have also heard good things about pro pilots ground school in Coverntry so don't think you would go wrong with them either. Don't have any experience with the other schools.

pudoc
30th May 2012, 12:01
I know somebody who went to both BGS and BCFT. He did half of the subjects with Bristol and half at BCFT because something popped up and it would be better for him to learn at home, hence the switch. He got much better scores in the subjects he did with BGS and preferred Bristol instructors. I asked for his opinion on BCFT and he said they were really good and instructors are great but did prefer BGS.

OAA ATPL course looks good too.

StOrMsCaTcHeR
30th May 2012, 13:12
Any idea how much is their ATPL program? Just seen their website, and the brochure, but no where mentioned about the price details.

de facto
30th May 2012, 13:42
I would highly recommend OAA for groundschool ONLY.

tiger88
30th May 2012, 17:57
Zero to fATPL excluding MCC they aim for under 50k. Residential ground school I believe is in the region £4500. Some more info on below thread.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/476671-air-service-training-path.html#post7012303

RichardH
30th May 2012, 19:41
G-RICH

FTOs can use any "approved" training material. This material forms part of the approval process.

Several of the ground school providers supply/sell their material to other FTOs, mainly overseas. It is a BIG source of revenue and I suspect without it, 1. the cost of course to in house students would be much larger and 2. some of them might be financially struggling.

DeanM7

If you have not already, I should go and pay a visit to any of your potential schools, inspect their classrooms, notes (not quite so critical for full time), talk to other students and generally get a feel for the place.

When I did a full-time course many years ago at ATA Coventry this was near my home and therefore no accommodation costs, something you need to factor in.

XiRho
30th May 2012, 22:38
If the time period is the only factor swaying you towards residential, be aware that with hard work and determination you can complete the exams in less than or equal time via distance learning, and it will be cheaper.

If there are other reasons or heart is set on residential, I used to hear good things about LMU, but recently heard not so good things. I have also heard good reports on BCFT.

truckflyer
30th May 2012, 23:14
I do not believe you can complete distance learning faster than the residential! The majority I know spent at least and average 12 - 15 months on the distance learning, and that was hard work.

I did mine at London Met, it took exactly 6 months to pass them all, it is better residential if you can afford the time, the cost is not that much more, in addition the learning objectives do get explained quite good, instead waiting for email reply to solve your problems.

Sure there are some that have completed their 14 distance learning exams within 6 months, but for sure that would not have been me.

pudoc
30th May 2012, 23:36
Did my DL in 7 months but only studied 36 hours a week. Hard going, hard going.

truckflyer
31st May 2012, 10:51
36 hours a week!

Impressive, going full time in 6 months, guys in my class that passed all average 95% marks, was doing around + 60 hours a week!

Good to do in such short time, but the average on DL is higher!

Of course depends what you have to do on the side, I was running a full time business and had newborn daughter at the same time!

DeanM7
31st May 2012, 11:32
Thank you everyone for all the replies!! :)

Living costs will be a factor for me wherever i go I'm afraid! I live in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland..... no FTO's here! But some places will obviously be cheaper to stay than London!

@G-RICH thanks for the Standard Doc!

I will go visit the schools before parting with any money!

sam20gh
31st May 2012, 17:03
I have visited BCFT and was impressed with their setup. planning to start Jetline course (zero to fATPL) in August....
wish me luck with ground school and 14 exams..:confused:

flystrathclyde
3rd Jun 2012, 10:22
Now that Air Service Training are offering Distance Learning from Perth Airport, I understand they are also offering the benefit of support including the residential classes. I do not have all the information (and/or limitations).

IDLWITB
18th Jul 2012, 23:16
Hi deanM7

Pm me sometime... I'm not too far down he road from you, and would be great to talk with you as I have been thinking about the ground school at Pro-pilot and flying time aviation as well!

I'd like to hear from you

Idlwitb