PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters over Honiara

VolLibre
29th May 2012, 10:29
I am hoping that someone in the know can explain how helicopters can legally conduct night flights above Honiara's CBD with no navigation lights showing. The altitude is clearly about 500ft. Tonight and the last few days helicopters have circled over central Honiara with no lights but so low we can see the bodies of the aircraft illuminated from the ground at night. I know what 500 ft looks like, and these were not much higher.

There is a regional security mission here, led by Australia, and although I cannot confirm it must be associated with that. How can this happen legally? There has been some notification in the newspaper about "training flights".

I am not a professional pilot but have been flying hang gliders since 1987 and interested in aviation - so I thought to post my concerns here with you professionals. My experience of air law is hopelessly inadequate to gauge the legality of these flights, what NOTAMs are required etc. Also what is the international law that applies regarding flying without navigation lights etc.

It is quite offensive to Honiara citizens who speculate wildly in the absence of any credible explanation. Imagine if helicopters of another country circled over the residential areas of Darwin or Cairns with no lights - even if you knew the country doing it was a welcome partner in development. I am not anti-RAMSI. I will be satisfied if someone in the know can put my concerns to rest - transparency is what we ask.

Tiger35
29th May 2012, 21:24
I'd bone up on my air law if I were you Vol, unless you are wanting a free one way trip to Oz.

They are looking for old hang glider pilots with inadequate air law knowledge to kidnap and bring to Oz as the new boss of one of our favourite organisations.

:)

bigsquirrel
29th May 2012, 22:52
Mate I think you will find they are operating on NVG which means
they can fly below lowest safe at night. They operate without lights
because with NVG they are not required to if they notify other
aircraft. Probably tactical training with TOLL. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bigsquirrel

havick
29th May 2012, 23:36
Anything flying at night is attached to RAMSI.

MyNameIsIs
30th May 2012, 11:51
It's the Solomons...... that's the way it is over there!

VolLibre
30th May 2012, 12:12
Good info on the technicalities , thanks.

ebt
30th May 2012, 14:12
FWIW, I have often seen CASA exemptions for a number of Police Air Wings around Australia that permit flying at night without the lights on. You can check them up on the CASA website for more info if it is of interest.

Worrals in the wilds
30th May 2012, 16:55
FWIW, I have often seen CASA exemptions for a number of Police Air Wings around Australia that permit flying at night without the lights on.Thanks for that. A completely dark chopper is frequently spotted flying at a fairly low altitude over Surfers Paradise without even a red beacon. I assumed it was the cops, but it's good to know for sure.

I don't know who they think they're kidding because with the echoes off the high rise buildings it makes more noise than the space shuttle, so it's hardly covert.:suspect:

Tight Anium
30th May 2012, 20:50
Any NVG operator in Australia may operate without displaying navigation lights. There are Police and EMS operators that operate NVG.

CAO 82.6 refers:
"7 Exemption — navigation lights
Under subregulation 308 (1) of CAR 1988, the operator and the pilot in command of a helicopter in an NVG operation are each exempt from compliance with subregulation 195 (1) of CAR 1988 for a navigation lighting requirement of Part 13 of CAR 1988 if he or she is complying with a lighting requirement of this Order that is at variance with the requirement of Part 13.
Note The pilot in command should put a note in the free text section of the flight notification to advise air traffic control that he or she is goggle equipped and may be operating without displaying lights."

Worrals in the wilds
31st May 2012, 04:43
Okay. Is that so the nav lights don't screw up the NVG? I assumed the coppers were just trying to look :cool: as usual.

Tight Anium
31st May 2012, 08:04
Nav lights won't interfere with NVD.

Aircraft lighting is required to be "NVD compliant" to ensure it won't interfere with the goggles.

I note you said in the Army they are, but in civilian machines they are not nor required to be.