PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing microlight license to PPL

pSarge
29th May 2012, 06:21
Hi guys & gals

could anyof you assist me? I'm looking at starting flying lessons but want to try and do it the cheaper way, i have been told the best way to obtain a PPL cheaper is to learn to initially fly in a fixed wing microlight (not sure what license you get) then once you have passed in that aircraft, then upgrade it to a full PPL?

Can anyone tell me what the license is i would obtain from a fixed wing microlight? and what i would need to do to advance it to a full PPL?

I'm 38 and have this desire to become a commercial pilot (i know i'm to old) but even if it falls flat on its face really want to learn to fly, any advice you can give would be greatfully received

Thanks Paul

McGoonagall
29th May 2012, 06:59
There is a fair bit of info knocking about in the PF forum. However a NPPL(M) license requires a minimum of 25 hrs (in reality it will be more) at £100-£120 a pop, throw in exams and club membership and other bits and bobs and it comes to roughly £4K. Conversion to NPPL(A) I believe is the PPL Aircraft Technical exam, difference training and a general flying test. Currently being advertised over three days for £1K.

Once you start flying 3 axis microlights you may find you do not want to go onto their bigger brothers because they are so much fun. Financially you can fly a syndicate owned Eurostar for about £30-£40 per hour and other more basic types for less. Whatever you decide, just get started and enjoy.

smith
29th May 2012, 12:35
Do you actually mean flex wing? Afaik all micro lights are fixed wing, I don't know of any rotary?

Genghis the Engineer
29th May 2012, 14:10
The UK microlight licence is the NPPL(M); in theory you can upgrade to an NPPL(SSEA) - "Simple Single Engined Aeroplanes" in about 3 hours, in practice you're likely to need 8-12. Probably a bit more if coming off flexwings.

"Fixed Wing" is a common euphemism for 3-axis microlights, "flexwing" is the common term for weightshift controlled microlights.

The NPPL(SSEA) will limit you to day-visual conditions, if you want to fly night, or on instruments, or with more than 3 passengers, then you need to upgrade further to the "JAR" licence which will be a lot more exams and a longer flying course.

You can earn your living in microlighting, usually from a combination of teaching, hangerage and maintenance support. The income is not fantastic, but generally better than teaching on light aeroplanes.

Much of this terminology is likely to change in the next year or so, but the basic facts won't.

G

pilotmike
29th May 2012, 16:53
Hi Paul

If you were intending to stick to just private (PPL) flying, then your idea is sound - indeed, you'd probably enjoy the microlights so much that you might not even bother to 'upgrade' to an aeroplane PPL after gaining your microlight licence.

However, as you state that you wish to fly commercially (and by the way 38 isn't too old - yet!), you must bear in mind that microlight hours don't count towards the hours needed for the various hurdles you'll need to jump.

Therefore any small saving in training on microlights initially would end up costing you more in the whole scheme of things.

Also, when talking of becoming a commercial pilot, you must realise that it will be very expensive, so any small savings at PPL level are irrelevant, and often counterproductive. As you no longer have youth on your side, you might well be considering moving through the commercial training faster than others.

So it is worth considering your aim in your flying training. If you are serious about becoming a commercial pilot, then it is probably wise to leave the microlights to one side, and take yourself to a school that offers commercial training, so that your flying training is all focused on your main goal, without any 'wasted' hours that won't count. It will also offer you continuity of training at a school that knows all about training to commercial standards, and one which is regularly exposed to students who want to train straight through to CPL / IR.

If you want a fun, leisurely route to private flying, then go find a microlight school and I doubt you'll want to fly the standard metal 'spam can' after the fun you'll be having in one of today's high performance microlights!

Whichever way, good luck in finding your path to the freedom of the skies...

... from an airline pilot, who started out in gliders and microlights many years ago.