PDA

View Full Version : Asia and drugs

TWT
28th May 2012, 13:12
Over the years there has been a never ending stream of people busted in Bali and other parts of Asia for drugs,including this lot today :

British woman arrested over Bali cocaine bust - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-28/british-woman-arrested-over-bali-cocaine-bust/4038050)

The penalties are not secret,the trigger amount in possession for the death penalty is very small,yet there seems to be no shortage of punters willing to give it a try.The chances of being caught are very high.After you are awarded the death penalty in Bali,they dispatch you by firing squad in a remote location and there is no warning of the exact day or time that you will be taken for your last ride :bored:

I have no sympathy at all for drug peddlers but sometimes wonder how these people get in so deep.The death penalty is mandatory in many countries and doesn't appear to be a deterrent for many of these high stakes gamblers

Alloa Akbar
28th May 2012, 13:24
Good question.. after all, trying to hide a boat-load of powder brick in the lining of your suitcase is hardly cutting edge smuggling tactics is it??

Who would imagine they would look in there.. :ugh:

zarniwoop
28th May 2012, 13:30
sometimes wonder how these people get in so deep

Stupid, gullible, impressionable, naive, greedy, selfish or just too cocky to believe they will be caught. Take your pick of one or more from the list and you've got a good chance of having the right answer.

hellsbrink
28th May 2012, 13:40
greedy, selfish or just too cocky to believe they will be caught

Given that she's seemingly claimed she did it because her kids would be harmed if she didn't, after agreeing to be part of the "sting" that caught the other 4 involved which would definitely mean her kids would be harmed, I would say that she comes under all of the above.

What's funny is one of the other suspects has tried to claim it was a stitch-up despite there being 49kg of cocaine at his house on Bali, he says the police planted the powder........

G-CPTN
28th May 2012, 13:46
he says the police planted the powder
Well, he would, wouldn't he?

racedo
28th May 2012, 19:15
he says the police planted the powder........

No chance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They would have flogged it through their dealer network....

heli-cal
28th May 2012, 22:26
...After you are awarded the death penalty in Bali,they dispatch you by firing squad...

The recidivism rate is a nice round figure... Namely zero! :ok:

ZFT
29th May 2012, 00:41
Whilst I have zero sympathy for dealers and pushers, I also have zero doubts that there are innocent people in jails in these areas. Here the police get a % of the haul value as a 'commission' so there is massive incentive to get a conviction.

Load Toad
29th May 2012, 03:26
Doesn't matter what the penalty, the profits are high enough for some to take the risk. The price of drugs on the streets hasn't gone up for donkey's years so in real terms it's getting cheaper; so some must be getting through guys & there are many punters using.

Of course during prohibition there were many willing to take a risk...some became the crime syndicates, others businessmen & politicians...

The War on Drugs....just another sad failure.

Worrals in the wilds
29th May 2012, 04:32
The chances of being caught aren't as high as all that.
Also, most crims don't think they'll get caught, particularly the ones who end up getting caught. :ooh: That goes for other sorts of crims too, not just drug mules.

Plenty of Asian traffickers also have gambling or other debts with the Triads (or similar criminal organizations) and have no real choice. Get shot by the Triads or maybe get shot by the Indons... The latter option looks cheerier. :eek:

Many young Westerners have the view that narcotics aren't Bad and what they're doing isn't serious. Without wading into that debate, it's safe to say that most Asian countries don't agree. Of course you'd have to be living under a rock not to know about the capital penalties for trafficking in SEA, but some people actually do live under rocks, and/or think they're too smart to get caught so the penalty won't apply to them anyway.

IMO the average drug mule is not the brightest bunny in the burrow (there are notable exceptions, usually professional mules) and is dumb, desperate or greedy, frequently a mix of all three.

Slasher
29th May 2012, 05:06
Most mules think that since they are Western they'll only cop
a 20+ year sentence iso the death penalty. One example was
Schapelle ("but she's so beautiful so she MUST be innocent!")
Leigh Corby. She avoided bullet insertions because of prints
on the packages made by Customs officers which tainted the
evidence and the investigation of her "excuse" and became a
sticking point with the Defence. Thus instead of execution she
was commuted to life - and has no doubt become someone's
bitch.

The locals of course are hung or shot. And yes it pisses them
off that Westerners get a lighter sentence than they do. There
is a lot of rightful pressure to string foreigners up for the same
conviction.

You'll be surprised to know that Thailand and Singapore don't
necessarily hang every Westerner caught with drugs - this is
so as to not scare off tourists if every mule was executed. The
selection process I'm not privy to.....but I know that they are
instantly deported with the firm promise if they ever set foot
in the country again they're dead.

Alloa Akbar
29th May 2012, 08:53
I also have zero doubts that there are innocent people in jails in these areas

I agree, so whilst Indonesia and Thailand are beautiful places, and I am sure many people have had wonderful experiences there, I personally will give them a wide berth.:=

Nervous SLF
29th May 2012, 09:39
I agree with Alloa Akbar and even more so after watching the following video.

LiveLeak.com - How Safe is Your Luggage? Forget Thieves - Consider Drug Smugglers

Scarey stuff.

Tableview
29th May 2012, 09:44
The same as people fall for Nigerian 419 type scams. Greed, stupidity, dishonesty, and arrogance.

radeng
29th May 2012, 10:47
Have we forgottem that little faux pas at CDG the other year where they put a packet of drugs in someone's luggage as practice for the dogs and lost it?

That could have got some poor sod hanged......

Worrals in the wilds
29th May 2012, 10:50
The selection process I'm not privy to.....but I know that they are instantly deported with the firm promise if they ever set foot in the country again they're dead.
Interesting. :8
The locals of course are hung or shot. And yes it pisses them off that Westerners get a lighter sentence than they do.I don't blame them. If people want to travel to another country they should accept its penalties and its laws, particularly if they're only travelling there for the purpose of committing a crime that's also a serious crime in Australia (albeit with a lesser penalty). I have some sympathy for their families, but the person concerned should feel guilty about that, not the governments concerned. It's no big secret that many countries have the death penalty for trafficking.

WRT Thailand, Indonesia and several other countries in the area (not Singapore) I have my own theory on the selection process, but of course it's only a theory. Australian border agency officers are routinely offered bribes by offenders from several neighbouring countries. Often the offenders seem very surprised and a bit offended when it doesn't work. Hell, maybe sometimes it does work, but I'd really hope not. :ooh:

Have we forgottem that little faux pas at CDG the other year where they put a packet of drugs in someone's luggage as practice for the dogs and lost it?Really? :eek: That's an incredibly bad clusterf:mad:k that would have been avoided if any person involved in the training run owned and used more than two neurons. Maybe they should have gotten the dog to do the planning. Seriously, that should NEVER happen.

B Fraser
29th May 2012, 12:12
I arrived in Australia with my previous wife and stood in the line for immigration. The chap with the sniffer dogs was doing the rounds and I (being an irritating know it all) said that they train the dog to sit down quietly if something suspicious is found so as not to draw attention from the other passengers. The dog and handler got to our trolley and I lifted a holdall off the top so bonzo could have a really good sniff. He poked his nose inside then promptly sat down. It turns out that they teach them to sniff for unopened bottles of Qantas in-flight booze too.

Alloa Akbar
29th May 2012, 13:23
I arrived in Australia with my previous wife and stood in the line for immigration

Your golden opportunity to frame her and rid yourself of her and you blew it.. :ugh:

Worrals in the wilds
29th May 2012, 13:37
Passive versus active. Most airport dogs are trained passive. They're both equally effective, the only difference is what the trained response is (namely tear it apart, or sit quietly while the tame human tears it apart :E).

Any dog can make a mistake but it's almost always a false positive (ie the dog thinks it's found something but it hasn't) rather than the other way around.

Dogs are much better fellow employees than humans :cool:.

B Fraser
29th May 2012, 14:07
Not so Mullah Akbar, the ex and I are still great mates. We just wanted different things from life and we've ended up with what we both wanted so it all worked out just fine.

:ok:

Alloa Akbar
29th May 2012, 15:13
I still like my ex as well.. so much so I am sending her to Indonesia on holiday.. might offer to pack for her too.. :ok:

angels
29th May 2012, 15:27
Slash, I lived in Singapore for nearly four years and as far as I know the regime treated everyone the same. Several westerners got topped while I was there, but by far the majority were Indonesians and Chinese Malay (in that order). Friday at dawn is topping time and occasionally they have multiples.

I remember one case, before I lived there, where even Margaret Thatcher appealed for clemency for a mentally deficient teenager who was caught with H in his hold baggage while in transit. His 'friends' in Bangkok had packed his case.

He swung.

Doctor Cruces
29th May 2012, 15:49
Shoot her if she's guilty.
I wish they'd do that in the UK.

Slasher
29th May 2012, 19:38
I agree....whilst Indonesia and Thailand are beautiful places.
..experiences there, I personally will give them a wide berth.

In Thailand the problem isn't drugging up your bags Mr Akbar
its some duty free shops in cahoots with the airport cops that
set you up for an arrest by accusing you of "stealing".

Angels remember that Yank kid in the 90s who scratched cars
and that Oz(?) journo earlier this decade? Its what I'm mainly
talkin' about. But it is true that not every mule caught gets an
invite to the Friday swingalong at Changi.

AlpineSkier
29th May 2012, 19:39
@B Fraser

but what's unique about Qantas booze ?

angels
29th May 2012, 20:22
I certainly remember the yank kid affair, again before my time. A mate of mine said he was a pathetic yob.

But people forget, he was still caned despite Clinton's intervention.

B Fraser
29th May 2012, 20:27
Alpineskier : I have no idea, ask Bonzo the bassett hound at Darwin.

Angels : I think todays kids go out of their way to get caned. It's good to see that they still learn all about fractions. I overheard a few talking about quarters and eighths the other day.

ZFT
29th May 2012, 22:22
Slasher

Quote:
I agree....whilst Indonesia and Thailand are beautiful places.
..experiences there, I personally will give them a wide berth.
In Thailand the problem isn't drugging up your bags Mr Akbar
its some duty free shops in cahoots with the airport cops that
set you up for an arrest by accusing you of "stealing".

They've stopped that scam now - too much exposure and King Power trying to keep a much lower profile these days.

parabellum
29th May 2012, 22:32
The American kid in Singapore didn't learn much, last I heard he was a petty crim in the USA.

Pedant mode ON:
have no idea, ask Bonzo the bassett hound at Darwin.

In all probability Bonzo is a Beagle rather than a Basset! Pedant Mode OFF.

Worrals in the wilds
29th May 2012, 23:14
True. Quarantine have a few bigger dogs for working on ships, freight distribution centres and similar, but IIRC the airport dogs are all beagles.

Anyway, gratuitous puppy pic! :ok:
http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/100303/blogimport_zu2ub5-15or9mc.jpg
AQIS Sniffer Dog Retires To Sunshine State - Beauty Articles (http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/pets/features/article/-/6880872/aqis-sniffer-dog-retires-to-sunshine-state/)

redsnail
30th May 2012, 06:51
Off topic. Yep, they use Beagles instead of Basset Hounds. Bassets have fantastic noses but a rather militant work ethic. As soon as the food reward stops, they stop "working" (ie they "forget" the lesson). Food reward returned, back to work. Not such a dumb mutt really ;)

Worrals in the wilds
30th May 2012, 07:02
Sounds like plenty of human border agency officers...:}

Slasher
30th May 2012, 07:19
They've stopped that scam now - too much exposure and
King Power trying to keep a much lower profile these days

Yep at Suvarnabhumi and Phuket that is true - but be aware
of Songkhla (Hat Yai) and Chiang Mai whenever the shops are
really crowded with Western tourists. NEVER accept anything
appearing to be a freebie into your bag even if it appears to be
fully genuine. Watch everything they quickly shove in your bag
hoping you won't notice - if you didn't buy it you dump it!

Songkhla though isn't greedy - they only asked for 200 bucks
US during the last event I heard of which occurred in Feb.

ZFT
30th May 2012, 07:42
Thanks for the tip. Buggers aren't they.

Slasher
30th May 2012, 08:05
That they are. I can understand Hat Yai & BKK...but CMA was
surprising - they're a nicer breed up North. From what I know
its a cop thing not a DF thing - the girls get a slice of the take
after the cops pocket theirs (about 20% I was told). Some of
the staff readily agree to the scam while others need coercing
using peer pressure. I'm lucky as I do frequent many of those
DF boozeries and get to know some of the girls - and usually
I leave a good tip for 'em - so I've never been targetted. And
yes the incidences have reduced and what remains is pocket
change but its best to always be on guard nonetheless.

B Fraser
30th May 2012, 08:54
Basset / Beagle, heck I was close. It was early o'clock and it was a four legged sniffing machine. I was more concerned about being taken away to a small room and the sound of a latex glove being snapped into place. :ooh:

Slasher
30th May 2012, 09:35
I hate those bloody sniffer dogs - one walked up,
cocked his leg and pissed all over my shoe once!

TWT
30th May 2012, 10:33
Are you tall ?Maybe he confused you with a lamp post

ArthurR
30th May 2012, 11:00
Slasher: I hate those bloody sniffer dogs - one walked up,
cocked his leg and pissed all over my shoe once!

So thats how you got the user name.

B Fraser, many years ago 80's, I used to fly QANTAS to the muddle east, they always served drinks from full size bottles (70cl), has that now changed?

SOPS
30th May 2012, 12:57
Well one thing has changed for sure, Qantas dont fly to the Middle East anymore, or many other places for that matter:ugh:

parabellum
30th May 2012, 13:41
On behalf of all dogs, but particularly Bassets, I wish to say that they are simply doing their job and if Beagles will do it for the possibility of a food reward then so be it, Bassets are not so cheap! Full dinner and all the trimmings or nothing doing, quality dogs!

If a dog pees on your leg it is marking you and trying to hide all previous smells, do wash your legs/daks Slasher!

Worrals in the wilds
30th May 2012, 14:13
I hate those bloody sniffer dogs - one walked up, cocked his leg and pissed all over my shoe once!

Seems to be a recurring theme in your life Slash; I recall a story about a shirt left in the cupboard for you? :hmm: :}

Dogs will be dogs. I once saw an AQIS beagle take on a Customs labrador in a full on dog fight. The passengers were roaring with laughter as the :O handlers tried to pull them apart. The beagle was winning, too...

Fareastdriver
30th May 2012, 16:38
I once saw an AQIS beagle take on a Customs labrador in a full on dog fight.

They had obviously both sniffed a packet of pork chops.