PDA

View Full Version : Planning ahead - Becoming a commercial pilot

Jake Lewis
27th May 2012, 18:37
Hi all,

My name is Jake and as you may be able to see, I am new to the forum.
I come from and live in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I was given details of this site by a friend, and this is my first real time venturing on to it.

Feel free to correct me if you believe that I have posted in the wrong section of the forum but I believe that I will get the best answers from this section.

So really, my question is much the same as the title of this post; How do I go about becoming a commercial pilot?

I should probably let you all know that I am only fourteen years of age, and a few of those who are reading this may think I am a bit young to be thinking of this sort of thing, but quite honestly, I believe that if you want something to such an extent, then there is no point not trying to achieve what you want.

I am starting my Private Pilots Training in June at my local flying club and hope to be finished as soon as I am 17.

But, shortly before my proposed flight training finish date, I will be sitting my GCSEs. I have been given advice about what subjects to choose or stick to, if you prefer, if I prolong on becoming a pilot, by a careers adviser in school.

I have chosen the following:

- Maths
- English
- English Literature
- Religious Education
- French
- Double Award Science
- Geography
- Business Studies
- I.C.T

However, I don't really know what airlines out there want their flight deck crew to have, grade wise, that is., And that is why I have came here in hope that someone might be able to lead me in the right direction.

I want something to aim for, rather than trying my best.

Education wise, I have made it into the top school in Northern Ireland and hope to continue at that school until I have completed my A-Levels.

A second question, would be, what is the easiest way, and for those who believe that a sponsorship is the way forward, then, which sponsorship scheme would you recommend and why?

Thank-You a lot,
I will be gracious to all your replies and suggestions.

Cptben
28th May 2012, 13:59
Hello there,

Essentially the best thing I can recommend is looking at flight crew schools such as the pilot training college, Oxford aviation academy, ctc ect. Request some information off them via post and have a good read through and see the courses on offer.
If you go at it alone, you would need your ppl. Comertial pilots licence, atpl-airline transportation pilots license. Then a type rating for the appropriate aircraft you would get employed to fly. And a tone of hours. Get a few flying lessons. I didn't the same when I was 14!

206Fan
28th May 2012, 17:24
Hi Jake,

After reading your post I don't believe anybody will be able to add much more to what you have planned thus far. Your subjects seem to be good to me. Start your Flight Training and keep rattling away at your Studies as you plan to do.

Regarding your Language GCSE, I would pick German instead of French as this will open another door down the line if you were interested in the Lufthansa Pilot Scheme.

Regarding Scholarships, the Guild of Air Pilots might be of interest to you. They provide Scholarships for the PPL but you need to be 17 Years of age to apply. Not sure about the Gliding.

Flying Scholarships - GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/career-matters/scholarships/)

Might see you around Newtownards some day.

Joe86
29th May 2012, 08:04
Apart from education and money, flight schools and airlines love team building/sports based interests... Join the air training core or similar, I had a great 3 years in it, got a few hours fixed wing and a gliding scholarship out of it to

redsnail
29th May 2012, 09:40
Sounds like you have a pretty reasonable plan.
I'll let others sort out the education etc.
Sports, great idea. Being able to work in a team, even if you're single pilot ops is essential.
Honesty. I can trust a colleague far more if I know they'll admit their errors (I do the same too) over a colleague who says nothing.
Do you have any medical disqualifiers?
Such as diabetes, hearing issues, eye sight, colour blindness, epilepsy etc?

You're 14. You'll more than likely want to have fun and take risks. No harm in that, it's normal. However, if you're riding a bike, wear a helmet. Likewise if you're skateboarding etc. One decent blow to the head could result in deafness etc and that's your aviation career finished.
Don't smoke, don't do drugs either. As you get older, don't drink and drive.
By all means, have fun and enjoy being a teenager, just think twice before you do something that may have a long term effect on your potential career.

Libertine Winno
29th May 2012, 11:05
I would suggest get into the local RAF Cadets, even if you have no interest in joining full time, as you can often get flying hours as part of that.

Also consider engineering type careers (if you are interested in it) as it can lead to doors opening at a later stage. Basically plan to have a career outside of the cockpit as well, because it is incredibly difficult to get in at a young age.

Other than that, unfortunately you may be waiting a while given your age...unless your parents have a nice big house and you can get access to a loan of around £90k!

FlyingSportsman
29th May 2012, 13:24
Second all the comments above- here is a good thread to have a look at!

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/463780-where-go-after-ppl.html#post6704188

Here is something for you to look at with regard to the ways of becoming an airline pilot-
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Integrated+flight+training)
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=modular+flight+training)

Sorry for the website, is just the best way to show you links :ok:

pudoc
29th May 2012, 14:03
Your head seems pretty screwed on.

Subjects look good, would definitely do German instead of French as the above poster said. There are so many opportunities in Germany. I'm even thinking about learning German myself one day.

Just echoing what's above, team sports. Do them. Studies are important but don't just focus on getting A* in everything. A good personality is more important than good grades so make sure you do sports and have a good social life.

Volunteer doing anything in aviation. Before I started I walked into the airport and went to every single customer service desk and asked for work experience. This was off my back and nothing to do with school. Many couldn't help but I got something in the end.

Keep your driving license clean when you get it.

Look into both integrated and modular, for someone starting young and considering that you'll already have a PPL by 17 if it goes to plan, I believe modular would be better for you. I wouldn't spark this debate here though. It's just I think modular will suit you better based on what I know about you so far. But look into it and make a decision that works for you.

Captain_Bling
29th May 2012, 14:18
Its very encouraging to see you begining research early, I dearly wish I had done the same. Becoming a pilot is fraught with difficulties that you never anticipate and not just money issues. Some people suffer more problems some have a less troublesome time but for all its a hard slog of AT LEAST six month ground school and a years flying. Academically its not that hard, not degree level or even A level stuff but its psycologically punishing and there are far more people out there who just want to snatch your money (cough, Oxford!) than actually help you qualify. That drive and desire has to come from you all the way!

Getting employed depends massively on the job market at the time you get your licence. Its a bit of a lottery you cant do much about but there is one thing you can influence and that is being in control of your own life. That right there is the best tip I could give anyone, be in charge of things instead of someone who just drifts along in life. It sounds, to be fair, like you got the right idea already.

Jake Lewis
25th Jun 2012, 22:13
Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for all your replies, and I am also sorry for such a late gesture of thanks.

I have been caught up with a lot of work and haven't really had much time to get on to the forum and check on what is going on - Thankfully, all the things that were restraining me from doing so have now been dealt with leaving me with much free time!

I really do appreciate each and every reply that I received, it means a lot and it's good to hear that I seem to be on the right sort of track with things regarding my future!

There is one last thing that I would like to add/inform you all on, and that is that I am indeed beginning my PPL training this Sunday at Newtownards Airfield - 'Ulster Flying Club' I am really looking forward to it.

Your comments and attitudes have been nothing but inspiring to me and I hope to continue to follow my dream, my ambition and my objective in life.

Thanks again folks.

Kristoff
28th Jun 2012, 16:22
Great advice, I completely agree with everything you've said.

If only I had made the same choice, would have opened up another door, oh oh well, us kids have time on our side.

BOL with whatever you decide, ill keep my eye on this thread.

TheMellowLife
28th Jun 2012, 18:56
Hi Jake,

I am only 2 years older than you , just finished GCSE's so generally know where your coming from. I think you should pace your ppl training slowly and pretty much fully concentrate on your GCSE's. Do enough flying just to keep your passion fuelled, but really knuckle down on your GCSE's when the time comes nearer because unfortunately it is true that the exams are becoming more difficult to get those top grades. Get good maths, physics and English Language and just pass the rest and your sorted.

But mate just enjoy yourself really. I've painted a mildly negative picture but if you work hard and gather your info you won't go far wrong.

My 'plan' if you like is to go to university and get a decent paying job. I could possibly gather enough cash to get myself on an integrated course and do it as a career change. I'm not prepared to gamble with money I don't have.

Good luck on your flying and GCSE's

rmpackman
1st Jul 2012, 13:02
Hi Jake,

You've had most of the answers here already and for once there is some good advice here (you'll soon learn that most threads on this site descend quickly into abuse and have no benefit to orginal thread!)

Anyway...my bit if advice to you....do everything above....and save money like mad!!!! You'll get no change out of £100k and anything you can do now to help reduce the stress when you start training is worth it. I didn't.....I started training at age of 28 and for all intents and purposes it made me bankrupt. If it wasn't for help...it would be a different story.

The job is immense though, it is well worth the investment. I obviously don't know you're personal circumstances...but if you're gonna need the cash then it helps to be prepared.

Jake Lewis
27th Jan 2013, 21:51
Hi guys,

Well, it's been a while... Sorry about that!

I've begun training on my PPL and I'm now just 7 hours of the way there. Flying is really spectacular and eye opening. I will be sitting parts of my GCSEs later in the year, but the rest of them next year, really working hard to get those grades!

I would just like to thank everyone for their advice, I'm not sure whether you will actually see this post or not, but thanks anyway.

captain.weird
28th Jan 2013, 20:58
How do you pay the PPL? Goodluck with it!

PookeyMaster
29th Jan 2013, 03:16
How do you pay the PPL? Goodluck with it!

Assuming his parents aren't paying and because he's got seven hours, I'd say he's saved up money from a part time job for each lesson. I imagine it would make it more rewarding earning your own money for it than having your parents give it to you.

iRaii
2nd Feb 2013, 17:48
I know this may not apply to what you want to gain in terms of information from your original post, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your journey!
Similar to you, I hold the aim of also becoming a pilot, however not a commercial pilot, a military pilot.