PDA

View Full Version : VAT refund on Sim rental in the UK

NineInchSnail
27th May 2012, 15:39
Hi Folks,

Going to the UK soon for an LPC and i am doing it through a TRTO. They are charging me for sim rental+examiner+support pilot and I was wondering if as a non European resident i can claim the VAT back as i could read somewhere on the net. If yes, what would be the procedure, if some of you went through that. I asked the question to the TRTO and still waiting for an answer, so any good info would help.

Thanks

mrmum
27th May 2012, 19:17
Haven't tried it myself, but have a look here;
HM Revenue & Customs: VAT refunds for visitors to the UK (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/overseas-visitors.htm)
It does seem to apply to goods that you will take out of the UK, rather than services you receive here though. That seems similar to the situation I get when I visit the US, I pay sales tax on any flying I do there, but can but can buy aircraft parts/headsets/avionics tax free, with a UK passport and a declaration that I am permanently exporting them.

Dan the weegie
28th May 2012, 10:50
Only way you'll be able to do it is by paying via a company. If it's a european company it will need to be VAT registered, then they will charge Zero VAT on your training.