PDA

View Full Version : Odd squawks on FlightRadar24 app

Self Loading Freight
27th May 2012, 13:35
Got the FR24 app for Android, primarily to find out what just made that loud noise overhead or why there's something big over London where something big isn't normally or going in a direction big things don't normally go. You know how it is when you're air-minded and something somewhere just ain't right...

It comes with an alert system that triggers on 7600 or 7700, and in the past couple of weeks that's gone off a handful of times. I don't know how often that happens, nor how often it happens by accident, nor do I know how good the FR24 system is.

But two things puzzle me. The preponderance of alerts seem to come from Lufthansa over the Adriatic, which seems unlikely. Is that coincidence? And what is TESTR2, which squawked the other day, and which was flying a jagged flightpath quite low north of Lausanne at a very slow speed (80 knots or so, sez FR24)? It looked positively droney to me, but would one of those be up on a busy Friday afternoon in central European airspace?

R

Lightning Mate
27th May 2012, 14:17
It was probably an Android FX-76X.

This is an experimental UAV which has been designed for high endurance and has a Rotax piston engine, hence its' slow speed.

I can post an image if you wish.

BOAC
27th May 2012, 16:31
The preponderance of alerts seem to come from Lufthansa over the Adriatic, which seems unlikely. Is that coincidence? - no - it will be Merkel fearing an emergency in Greece:)

Lightning Mate
27th May 2012, 16:52
.....:)......:)......:)

edit: "smoke off go"..........................:E

DaveReidUK
27th May 2012, 17:52
Much as I love the flying mobile phone theory, it's rather more mundane than that, I'm afraid.

TESTR2 is a Swiss Air Force TH-89 (AS332M1 Super Puma).

Self Loading Freight
29th May 2012, 22:22
Ta. I thought I'd not rise to that, being quite troutish enough in other respects... :)