PDA

View Full Version : Does Canada have Nuclear Weapons?

Vic777
27th May 2012, 10:36
Does Canada have Nuclear Weapons?
How do we know?

Takan Inchovit
27th May 2012, 10:39
Of course it does, they experience a nuclear winter every year!

Left Coaster
27th May 2012, 11:14
Ummm...I apologise...sorry eh...I think we did...or do we? We maybe had some but got rid of them when the Arrow was scrapped eh? Sorry...I don't actually know...sorry... :} What time is HNIC on? Sorry eh?

Flash2001
27th May 2012, 11:27
Got rid of them when Voodoo & Bomarc were scrapped.

After an excellent landing etc...

Wholigan
27th May 2012, 11:50
Canada did have Bomarc SAMs, Honest John SSMs, Genie AAMs on the Voodoo, and a bunch of bombs carried by the Starfighter.

As far as I know all of these were "owned" and controlled by the USA. Also I'm sure they do not currently have any nuclear weapons based on their territory.

tony draper
27th May 2012, 11:50
We are a bit skint at the mo so we can let you have a few cheap (that feckin EU wont lerrus use em anyway)
:rolleyes:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th May 2012, 11:51
To be strictly accurate, the "Candian" nuclear warheads were always the property of the USA, and guarded by US personnel on RCAF bases.

bob johns
27th May 2012, 12:26
Hope to god they have ,and I hope to god Australia has too . Dont like the thought of someone hopping in to help themselves without getting a kick in the balls for their trouble.

mixture
27th May 2012, 13:02
Vic777,

Try here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=countries+with+nuclear+weapons&l=1).

racedo
27th May 2012, 13:44
Why ?
Is the US of A needing another country to invade ?

Birthday Boy
27th May 2012, 14:06
Canada definately had nuclear weapons stored on it's territory although they were under American control.

Somewhere I have some photo's of the abandoned storage area at Goose Bay. Although derelict and overgrown now one can see that there was some serious security at one point.

BB

Matari
27th May 2012, 21:27
racedo,

Canada is a vast, beautiful country with wonderful people. And in spite of Trudeau and the leftist chorus in UK and Europe, Canada remains a tough fighter and steadfast ally.

Canada will need all her resolve when the ex-Soviet communists (still the fave of the UK smart set, apparently) make their push into the Arctic. A few nukes at the ready would make Vlad think twice, although the usual peackniks would blame Canada and the US for the terrible provocation, of course.

pigboat
27th May 2012, 21:41
We are a bit skint at the mo so we can let you have a few cheap.
Tony I hope they perform better than those frickin' subs you sent over. ;)

stuckgear
27th May 2012, 21:42
Does Canada have Nuclear Weapons?

With Minnesota against its border, does Canada need them ?

:E

galaxy flyer
27th May 2012, 21:49
It is North Dakota and Montana where much of the US nuclear strike forces are based; what's Minnesota have beyond ice fishing and blowhard politicians?

GF

racedo
27th May 2012, 22:57
I can understand the Canucks needing them given the neighbours they have :p

reynoldsno1
27th May 2012, 23:43
Minnesota - 10,000 lakes & a few weirdos, according to my rather old T-shirt :)

obgraham
27th May 2012, 23:44
I'm sure when the 'Nucks feel the need, they can simply waltz down here and grab a few nukes.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
28th May 2012, 00:39
Nope, the Yanks are ready for us now. They have drones patrolling the border. God knows what level of paranoia brought that on.:suspect:
I expect a few moose wedding parties on our side will get Paveway'd soon.
http://www.smouse.force9.co.uk/ga_group5.jpg

US Public Enemy #1 (now they've got UBL) - The Canadian Moose

(you can tell it from the Noble US Moose by the shifty eyes and cleverly concealed AK-47)

Mostly Harmless
28th May 2012, 01:52
We are far to polite to have nuclear weapons. Instead, we have strongly worded nuclear letters.

stumpey
28th May 2012, 02:02
(you can tell it from the Noble US Moose by the shifty eyes and cleverly concealed AK-47)

And I thought the bulge was just because they were pleased to see me! :eek:

hellsbrink
28th May 2012, 04:47
Instead, we have strongly worded nuclear letters.

And the Quebecois

stuckgear
28th May 2012, 06:28
It is North Dakota and Montana where much of the US nuclear strike forces are based; what's Minnesota have beyond ice fishing and blowhard politicians?

GF,

Minnesota, also known as first line of defence from the canadians, but that also works the other way round. :}

merlinxx
28th May 2012, 06:55
nope but the Newfies have got Screech :E:ok:

beaufort1
28th May 2012, 07:00
I was quite impressed with 'Screech' and your cod aren't bad kissers either. :O

dat581
28th May 2012, 09:04
If any two countries could get away with a secret nuclear program it would be Australia and Canada. Both have huge amounts of their own Uranium and vast unpopulated interiors full of either snow or sand to hide it in.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
28th May 2012, 09:35
Canada does have a nuclear program, but it's not secret and is used to produce 1/3 of the world's medical radioisotopes.

pineridge
28th May 2012, 18:18
GalaxyFlyer asks.......................................". what's Minnesota have beyond ice fishing and blowhard politicians?"

Sticky tape, Bob Dylan, Prince, and some doctors in Rochester.

"

OFSO
28th May 2012, 18:21
Does Canada have nuclear weapons ?

No, but it has my ex-wife, and that should be enough for Canada.

galaxy flyer
28th May 2012, 18:34
Pineridge

And Wipline floats, if float flying floats your, er, boat! And, as you point out, blowhard, past their sell-by date, rockers. Or, whatever Dylan and Prince are.

GF

racedo
28th May 2012, 20:22
No, but it has my ex-wife, and that should be enough for Canada.

Probably why US skeeeeered to invade...

galaxy flyer
28th May 2012, 22:25
Racedo

No, we skeeered to invade because of what happened the last two times. In 1775-ish, the Québécois weren't thrilled with the idea of leaving the tender mercies of the King to join our lot and tossed us. A few decades later, a Brit named Brock tossed us out of Upper Canada before his team burned down Our Nation's Capitol. It was a swamp then, anyway. Well, it's a swamp now, just that the 'gators that inhabit the swamp wear Gucci loafers.

GF

racedo
28th May 2012, 22:28
No, we skeeered to invade because of what happened the last two times. In 1775-ish, the Québécois weren't thrilled with the idea of leaving the tender mercies of the King to join our lot and tossed us. A few decades later, a Brit named Brock tossed us out of Upper Canada before his team burned down Our Nation's Capitol. It was a swamp then, anyway. Well, it's a swamp now, just that the 'gators that inhabit the swamp wear Gucci loafers.

True

OTOH why would you want another 35 Million Californians (er Canadians).

Matari
28th May 2012, 23:51
racedo,

Is yer juke box stuck on one record?

Flash2001
29th May 2012, 00:17
The weapons were held under a dual key program whereby there had to be agreement between US and Canadian representatives to release them. They were not guarded exclusively by the US. The RCAF Police force was expanded rapidly to cover its share.

After an excellent landing etc...

galaxy flyer
29th May 2012, 00:40
Good point, racedo.

GF

grizzled
29th May 2012, 02:58
As a Canadian I am ambivalent about whether we should have our own nukes. Like it or not there are some scenarios in which such a deterrent could again become strategically significant in the next 25 years.

Ironically, though we have no weapons program of our own, our desire to sell Canadian nuclear technology in the 60's and 70's was contributory to both India and Pakistan obtaining their own nuclear weapons capability. Canada therefore also carries some culpability with respect to North Korea's weapons program (through Pakistan's involvement). We should be both embarrassed and ashamed.

racedo
29th May 2012, 18:30

Depends whether you are from CA doesn't it.

PacWest
30th May 2012, 06:39
racedo,

Matari,

This guy has only ONE record and, it's broken.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/icons/umph.gif

hellsbrink
30th May 2012, 13:45
Matari,

This guy has only ONE record and, it's broken.

Jeez, guys, saying things like that makes it sound like you're still living in the '70s.

Look, get with the times. He's only got one mp3, and it's on a memory card with bad sectors.

:p

vulcanised
30th May 2012, 14:41
Thanks for letting me know. I thought it was another pprune oddity.

27mm
30th May 2012, 15:07
Nukes on Zippers, huh...that must have been fun. What sort of delivery profile was used? If it was a LABS type manoeuvre, it must have used an awful lot of sky!:cool:

racedo
30th May 2012, 19:37
This thread is fun as not sure whether I have annoyed the Canucks or the USanians or both................

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th May 2012, 20:08
Haven't annoyed us... but then we don't really do 'annoyed'.

OneGPull
31st May 2012, 05:15
When I was flying the CF104 in West Germany during the mid 60s, we had nukes on our base but they were the property of the US and armed US custodians always had positive control over access to them. They were slung on a few or our aircraft in a special marshaling area and were guarded by armed US custodians as well as an armed Canadian guard. The arircraft was enclosed in a yellow line painted on the hangar floor and the Canadian pilot and the US custodian had to cross this line together any time that the pilot needed access to the aircraft.
Legend has it that a Canadian pilot asked the custodian what would happen if he crossed the yellow line without the custodian in lock step. The reply was "Well, I'd have to call my supervisor". "Why?" asked the pilot. "To help me get your dead ass back across the line" replied the lad.

PacWest
31st May 2012, 06:43
Haven't annoyed us... but then we don't really do 'annoyed'.
Fox.

Who's us?

and, 'annoyed' fails to convey the true nature of what this obvious smart-a** guy evokes in this Canadian so, speak for yourself.

`

racedo
31st May 2012, 07:46
and, 'annoyed' fails to convey the true nature of what this obvious smart-a** guy evokes in this Canadian so, speak for yourself.

So you Canucks don't all agree with eath other............ is that a first ?

gingernut
31st May 2012, 10:51
they've released Justin Beiber on the world, aint that enough :p

ArthurR
31st May 2012, 11:02
gingernut, isn't that weapon baned by the Geneva Convention?

hellsbrink
31st May 2012, 13:41
They should have been nuked for unleashing Celine Dion, never mind Beiber.

(But we'll let them off with Shania.........)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
31st May 2012, 14:15
PacWest - apologies for my presumption.

He doesn't annoy me because I don't care what he thinks, and he isn't in a position of power or influence.

911slf
31st May 2012, 16:01
As Canada is about the only country in the world to achieve its freedom by asking nicely, I think Canadians would be far too polite to detonate a nuclear weapon without asking permission.

There is little doubt that Canada could produce nuclear weapons if it wished to do so. This link indicates other nations that have at least seriously thought about it and decided not to proceed.
7.4 States Formerly Possessing or Pursuing Nuclear Weapons (http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Nwfaq/Nfaq7-4.html)
I love this quote: There were plans for 7 underground nuclear tests in 'uninhabited regions' of SwitzerlandPerhaps the Swiss are heavy sleepers. :)

Also I think Australian politicians thought about it but stopped short of devoting much in the way of resources to a weapons project. Australia and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction)

There is good reason to suppose South Africa had nuclear weapons and has surrendered them to the United States. Wikipedia reference South Africa and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction) mentions this:
The Vela Incident (sometimes known as the South Atlantic Flash) was the possible detection of a nuclear weapon test. This detection was made by a United States Vela satellite on 22 September 1979. Much of the information about the event is still classified. The Vela 6911 satellite apparently detected the characteristic double flash of an atmospheric nuclear explosion (first a very fast and very bright flash, and then a less bright and longer-lasting flash) of some two to three kilotons at 47°S 40°E near to the Prince Edward Islands, a South African dependency lying in the Indian Ocean. The technical evidence is however inconclusive.

I remember this being reported on TV news in terms that 'a nuclear explosion has been detected' (with specific reference to the "double flash"), followed an hour later by 'there was a problem with the satellite - a lightning flash was misidentified'. Yeah right!:(

This (from Nuclear Weapon Archive,on South Africa) also tickled my fancy:

The first "deliverable" device ("it could be kicked out the back of a plane":eek:), and the second device built, was ready in April 1982.

I suppose if you are a 'glass half full' person you might take comfort from the apparent fact that several nations thought about it and decided not to go down that route, or even gave up their nukes.:\

ExXB
31st May 2012, 19:12
I remember this being reported on TV news in terms that 'a nuclear explosion has been detected' (with specific reference to the "double flash"), followed an hour later by 'there was a problem with the satellite - a lightning flash was misidentified'. Yeah right!

That speedy retraction probably saved commercial aviation. Aviation insurance contracts have a clause cancelling them automatically as a result of an above ground nuclear explosion. No insurance, no flights.

Don't know if that was the reason for the retraction, but thank goodness it was retracted.

grizzled
1st Jun 2012, 03:09
OneGPull

First, welcome to pprune! The military forum is a place you might also enjoy.

I'd be interested in your comments re 27mm's question. Was the release strategy similar to (or the same as) a "LABS" toss, that was a common tactical approach for the USAF for many years?

grizz

rgbrock1
4th Jun 2012, 17:30
IF Canada does have nuclear weapons, can you all do us a big, big favor and use one of them on Justin Bieber? Please?

Better yet, can you just take him back and tie him up or something so he never leaves Canada? Please?

grizzled
4th Jun 2012, 18:49
rgbrock1

Here's a proposal: We will agree to keep Justin confined. In exchange you must take Quebec.

rgbrock1
4th Jun 2012, 18:55
grizzled:

You have a deal! We'll just attach Quebec to the northern parts of Vermont and no one will notice any difference.

You, however, still have to deal with Bieber permanently ensconced behind your border!!!!!!

bnt
4th Jun 2012, 20:13
Well, we know that Canada has nuclear material within its borders; the Russians saw to that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosmos_954) in 1977. :cool:

John Eacott
5th Jun 2012, 09:33
Hope to god they have ,and I hope to god Australia has too .

When the Sea King was sold to the RAN, it was delivered with the looms for the 600lb bomb (NDB) weapon delivery installed. The queries from 817NAS were along the lines of "Why have we got the heated clothing looms? No bl**dy use around Nowra!"

Someone, somewhere must have had a Cunning Plan :ok:

Cacophonix
5th Jun 2012, 13:42
Many Canadian scientists were key to the delivery of the early nuclear weapons (see the unfortunate Louis Slotin).

The expertise garnered by these physicists found its early expression in the very successful CANDU reactor types which are also bad candidates for nuclear proliferation (which is a good thing). Nonetheless there is little doubt that Canada could put together a simple fission bomb in short order and certainly has the capacity to develop a thermonuclear (fusion) weapon in the medium term.

Canada had exported tritium to the USA and could use this capacity to enhance any fission type bombs or to go ahead to produce thermonuclear devices.

The Evolution of CANDU Fuel Cycles and Their Potential Contribution to World Peace (http://www.nuclearfaq.ca/brat_fuel.htm)

Of course the ever polite Canadians would have no desire to immolate anybody least of all their brutal US neighbours so one might put Canada low on the list of potential rogue nuclear states. ;)

Caco

bugg smasher
5th Jun 2012, 23:31
Unless, of course, provoked to do so.

Said provocation would likely involve a ban on hockey pucks, allegedly produced south of the border in great numbers (raw materials from Indonesia), or, the manufacture of snowmobile parts (most from Japan or China), without which, no self respecting Canadian could endure. Stoic as that silence, the heroic deprivation, may be.

The growing of balls seems a way off, in Canadian terms anyways. But they do write rather cleverly on this forum, when pushed in the appropriate directions.

:)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Jun 2012, 00:32
How polite can one get?

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/funny-vancouver-sign.jpg