PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Employee Survey

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th May 2012, 21:36
G'day Ppruners. The ALAEA has developed a survey for aviation employees similar to the ones used by many of the companies we work for. Unfortunately when they are done internally the results are never shared with the employees. We thought we'd change that by creating our own survey with the key results to be published here when enough responses have been received.

Please take the time to fill it out. It will take but a few minutes. We cannot access your personal information with this program and each computer is limited to one submission. Should be able to get there on the following link -

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HQX65PV

TID Edit

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th May 2012, 21:53
Fantastic ! Responses coming in already.

Kharon
26th May 2012, 22:04
Good one. If it feels good, do it; and this one needs to be done.

Powerful weapon that democrussy stuff, perhaps we should ask the Gummint for a bit; see if we like it. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif :D

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th May 2012, 22:12
Just for info if you are wondering, there are 54 questions.

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th May 2012, 22:24
Sunday morning and 30 responses in less than an hour. Thanks all. Email will go out from our union tomorrow with the link as well. Sure we will get a healthy return and legitimate results.

cheers

Tidbinbilla
26th May 2012, 22:59
Good work, Steve!

The Mod team are looking forward to regular updates.

In order to stay in focus, we would be grateful if only Steve makes further contributions to this thread.

TID

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th May 2012, 23:30
Thnx mods.

77 responses so far.

100% Male.

Qantas responses 54% - 46% for others.

No responses in the under 25 age group.

50% Flt crew, 40% Engineering, 8% Cabin Crew

This is most likely a reflection of the people who read Pprune

ejectx3
27th May 2012, 00:41
Post a link on airline hub buzz

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th May 2012, 00:48
I did msg AHB. It's on my facebook page if anyone cares to share.

Keg
27th May 2012, 01:02
Shame there wasn't the chance to add comments. I think I still have mine from the Qantas survey and would gladly have added them to this one.

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th May 2012, 01:43
We would not be able to sort through 100's of comments.

Responses now over 200. keep it up guys, the higher the returns the more legitimate the results become.

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th May 2012, 11:19
550 responses already today nice work all. Now I need to work out how to interpret it all. Anyone know a good mathemetician?

TheWholeEnchilada
27th May 2012, 22:02
FEDSEC, why not release the raw data file via a link at the conclusion of the survey and "crowdsource" the production of the charts and interpretation.

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th May 2012, 23:12
The entire results will be published eventually but the ALAEA would of course wish to reserve our right firstly to make public comment on the outcome. To build the story I think it pertinent to firstly revisit the comments of the Qantas CEO after his internal survey was completed earlier this month.

VBA Engineer
27th May 2012, 23:43
When we filled out the questionaire we did it in the belief it was in the interest of the "aviation industry". You didn't tell us it was going to be used as another QANTAS bashing exercise for controlled and targetted feed to the media as part of an anti Alan Joyce campaign.

Please be honest and up front next time.

To be frank, I would not have contributed if I had known your intent.

This is not an ALAEA website.

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th May 2012, 23:43
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2364/joyceh.jpg

On the 11th May 2012 the Qantas CEO issued a message to staff about the internal Engagement Survey. Of course they were pretty limited about what they had to say. Here are the key comments.

The ExCo team and I have reviewed our Engagement Survey results this week. Our overall score was 66%, this was a 4% decline from last year, and is a true indication of the incredibly tough year we’ve just been through together.

The good news is that two thirds of our people are engaged and believe in where we are headed as an organisation, and what we need to do to get there.

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th May 2012, 23:47
When we filled out the questionaire we did it in the belief it was in the interest of the "aviation industry". You didn't tell us it was going to be used as another QANTAS bashing exercise for controlled and targetted feed to the media as part of an anti Alan Joyce campaign.

Please be honest and up front next time.

To be frank, I would not have contributed if I had known your intent.

This is not an ALAEA website.

No this is an industry website. Clearly the results will be used to make our industry better and one cannot deny that Qantas are a key player in our industry. The contributions by Virgin and other company employees set important benchmarks that need to be measured. At the end you will be able to tell how good the company you work for is and if we can use the results to improve employment overall it can only be a good thing.

I was very upfront that these results would be released. Of course the press will read them and want comment. This is an absolute litmus of all employers in our industry and it may result in a good news story for some.

ALAEA Fed Sec
28th May 2012, 06:38
Submissions now over 1000.

Tidbinbilla
28th May 2012, 10:31
Folks, as per my previous request, we would like to keep this thread for FedSec's updates only.

Any remarks or comments should be posted here: http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/486527-aviation-survey-discussion.html (http://http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/486527-aviation-survey-discussion.html)

Thanks, TID

ALAEA Fed Sec
28th May 2012, 21:36
Every morning I wake early, eager to get stuck into what I have on for the day. It's hard not to when you love your job.

Of course this survey is an industry survey. I hope to have some data soon from other employers to post.

Also for our Kiwi friends I must apologise. Pprune was not where we initially intended to launch this project. I had originally included all Aussie cities and other continents to work out where people come from. A large number of responses had come in from "other" places and I was wondering where the hell they could be. A few may have been smaller Aussie cities but not the numbers I was seeing, then I worked it out. They must predominently be coming from the land of the long white cloud. I've added NZ to the places question now but can safely assume the "others" are Kiwis. Will split off the responses for that group.

ALAEA Fed Sec
28th May 2012, 22:51
Canberra is on the list so those responses can already be seperated.

ALAEA Fed Sec
29th May 2012, 08:59
UNSW is a project we have been working on for years. I was unaware that they were sending something out until I just read it here. Fill out if you can, it will all help a little.

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th May 2012, 09:39
Other survey is a specific mailed survey to Aircraft Engineers only for a study being carried out by UNSW.

FAAA Domestic have now emailed the link to members and responses flowing steadily again.

ALAEA Fed Sec
31st May 2012, 11:26
K nice. Got 1900 responses in. Just letting them slowly increase now as people check their emails and get back from their trips. Will end up getting over 2000 which is very healthy.

ALAEA Fed Sec
31st May 2012, 23:49
Steve, may I respectfully suggest you might need to engage a professional statistician to provide an analysis of the data and graphical services. Both of those graphs are confusing and potentially misleading.

Excellent feedback thnx guys. I reckon I might be ok at fixing aircraft but I certainly am no mathematician.

TheWholeEnchilada
1st Jun 2012, 05:14
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6289/question09.png

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6918/question11.png

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6091/question43.png

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1617/question49.png

ALAEA Fed Sec
16th Jun 2012, 00:25
Just an update all. Responses now trickling slowly. We are working on a presentation booklet that can be shared far and wide. Trying to get as many responses from those working for smaller operators so we can spilt them off for comparison with others.

Here's the link again -

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HQX65PV

I think we will close in 2 weeks.

Engineer_aus
26th Jun 2012, 07:53
Steve, perhaps a email out to all the members again?

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th Jun 2012, 09:07
Yes can email out again and will close next week.

Just got back from ITF conference overseas. Once we finish off in Aus the survey will go to all One World unions with a view to extending to all worldwide airlines.

Jethro Gibbs
27th Jun 2012, 11:48
Questions get deleted from here Why is that.

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th Jun 2012, 11:52
There is another thread for discussion on this.

ALAEA Fed Sec
27th Jun 2012, 22:35
Hey all. Survey will close this weekend. Working on a presentation booklet for employees, investors, politicans and other interested parties.

I'm trying to fill in some blank areas in the pages with some nice pictures of workers, aircraft and airports. If anyone has any that they can share with me it would be much appreciated.

Please email to [email protected]

ALAEA Fed Sec
29th Jun 2012, 03:52
Survey is now closed all. Standby for full results in a couple of weeks.

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th Jun 2012, 10:21
Editing now. 24 page booklet to be produced. You guys can help me if you see any typos or other stupid stuff.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9412/10792204.jpg

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th Jun 2012, 10:26
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3609/41803000.jpg

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th Jun 2012, 10:29
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/977/83472586.png

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th Jun 2012, 10:32
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1551/22249520.jpg

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th Jun 2012, 10:35
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2356/63167067.jpg

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th Jun 2012, 10:36
Well that's the opening pages. Of course the printed version will be a higher resolution. Hard to get a pdf into a jpeg via paint and imageshack onto here with losing something.

CaptCloudbuster
1st Jul 2012, 00:30
Steve, job well done. Taking a real look at the issues using the same tool as Management. The look is one I feel proud to have represent my views as a concerned industry professional.

ejectx3
1st Jul 2012, 01:28
Brilliant work Steve the industry is lucky to have you .

Worrals in the wilds
1st Jul 2012, 02:22
Looks good! :)

V-Jet
1st Jul 2012, 04:31
Looks and reads sensationally. Not bad for an illiterate and militant unionist:)

The crazy thing is, someone like you Steve, would not be out of place on the Board of any major airline - but one in particular would rather bankrupt itself than allow people with decades of real world experience in airlines formulate company policy. With any luck, this type of approach will prove to people that 'unionists' DO care VERY much about their companies future, and are not stupid enough to demand 70+% pay rises like their very 'company minded' leaders.

Reading that beats wearing a red tie to work!

ALAEA Fed Sec
1st Jul 2012, 05:08
You wouldn't want someone who is a little eager like me on a Board. You would need the likes of me in the engine room.

Arnold E
1st Jul 2012, 10:09
The crazy thing is, someone like you Steve, would not be out of place on the Board of any major airline - but one in particular would rather bankrupt itself than allow people with decades of real world experience in airlines formulate company policy

The sad thing is that this is true, but even sadder( if there is such a word) is that it is not going to happen. There is no incentive for the people at the "top'" to try and get employees on board. You can whinge and complain all you like, in fact, you can be a share holder, and whinge and complain all you like, and it will make exactly no difference. It is true that AJ is only interested in HIS bottom line. If that is not the truth, tell us what is alan? ( my spell checker thought I needed a capital, but I dont think one is deserved).

Night Hawk
1st Jul 2012, 12:14
Hmm strangely I can't view any of it!! Is there a different format it can be posted on?

ALAEA Fed Sec
1st Jul 2012, 12:51
Its hard to post in other formats. May I suggest you try viewing the thread on a Mozilla Firefox browser?

DirectAnywhere
1st Jul 2012, 14:32
Typos:

Post 35, paragraph 6, "and those who custom the businesses". Custom needs to be replaced, perhaps with with "patronise", as it should be a verb.

post 37, line 1 and line 7, "employee's opinions" should read "employees' opinions" as it's plural.

Post 37 - Communication opening paragraph - "Informing employees of developments...etc" is not actually a sentence.

Overall it looks good Steve. Keep up the good work. :ok::)

Armchairflyer
1st Jul 2012, 17:24
Hi Steve,

looks good, congrats especially on the idea and apparent response you got and still get there (including some corporate fat cat flak apparently, which is almost a seal of quality IMHO).

Some minor remarks: in the (still black) figures of the draft you sent me, "Virgin" looked as if it was written with two "i"s at the end, and not sure whether citing some of the studies I sent you couldn't have substantiated the point that having engaged and committed employees affects not only individual but company performance, too. And I couldn't find absolute sample sizes anywhere (but may have simply missed it; in any case the response rate IMHO sure didn't look as if one needed to hide it). Otherwise, I am still not fully convinced by the dichotomous positive/negative classification and percentages, but we have discussed that already, and I am an industry outsider.

BTW, despite the already impressive results, from a data analysis point of view, I frankly think that the data you collected with this survey still hold several hidden gems. Nonetheless, IMHO that's an extremely valuable contribution and an important counterpoint to employee surveys conducted, endorsed, and presented by corporate management.

All the best to the other side of the globe,
Mike

ALAEA Fed Sec
1st Jul 2012, 22:30
Post 35, paragraph 6, "and those who custom the businesses". Custom needs to be replaced, perhaps with with "patronise", as it should be a verb.

post 37, line 1 and line 7, "employee's opinions" should read "employees' opinions" as it's plural.

Post 37 - Communication opening paragraph - "Informing employees of developments...etc" is not actually a sentence.

My command of English is so basic that I cannot argue with these points thnx for the detail scrutiny and advice. Changes to be made.

Some minor remarks: in the (still black) figures of the draft you sent me, "Virgin" looked as if it was written with two "i"s at the end,

Yep was aware of this and has been fixed.

And I couldn't find absolute sample sizes anywhere

They won't be included because the numbers could be twisted very easily by airlines who don't like the results. eg. well, 1300 people from Qantas answered but only 20 did from airline X. But fail to mention that only 30 people work for airline X.

Otherwise, I am still not fully convinced by the dichotomous positive/negative classification and percentages, but we have discussed that already, and I am an industry outsider.

The numbers pages that come after the ones I have already posted have a bit of everything. Pos/Neg %, overall engagement and the 1-5 scale stuff. I think it is about presenting an overall picture of the industry in a story type manner primarily with the use of data. That's how I see it anyway.

Armchairflyer
2nd Jul 2012, 10:26
And I couldn't find absolute sample sizes anywhere.They won't be included because the numbers could be twisted very easily by airlines who don't like the results. eg. well, 1300 people from Qantas answered but only 20 did from airline X. But fail to mention that only 30 people work for airline X.Point taken if that's an issue, but maybe just include the total number of responses that went into the analyses without differentiating between airlines (those companies where too few people answered were explicitly excluded anyway)? Otherwise a first instinctive reaction could well be "On how many overall responses are these results based? 100? 30 disgruntled Qantas employees and 20 who are satisfied with working for Virgin? Who should care?"

Otherwise, for the "overall picture of the industry in a story type manner primarily with the use of data" I think it's a good approach; I'm just jealous of the amount of data you have and the interesting topic :p.

ALAEA Fed Sec
2nd Jul 2012, 10:59
Overall number has been presented broaudly in doc. It's actually 2725.

To put that in perspective, the polls you see in the Australian are based on 1000 samples out of a population of 23 million or whatever we have today in Aus.

Armchairflyer
2nd Jul 2012, 11:56
Ok, so I just overlooked that, sorry; disregard then. (BTW, absolutely agree that this is a good response rate.)

Jethro Gibbs
4th Jul 2012, 06:39
Anyone at Tulla had the Future Careers advice session wonder if it was as bigger joke as the one held at Avalon which was nothing short of laughable.

Jethro Gibbs
9th Jul 2012, 06:51
Fear not Aviation workers AVALON Airport chief executive officer Justin Giddings is to create 20,000 jobs at Avalon .
Yes he did say that TWENTY THOUSAND JOBS .:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Avalon jobs take off | Geelong, VIC, Australia (http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/07/07/335901_news.html)

ALAEA Fed Sec
9th Jul 2012, 12:27
Justin is correct mate, the jobs will beover 20 years as Melbourne suburbs move West.

BTW guys the final survey presentation is currently with printers.

Jethro Gibbs
9th Jul 2012, 12:50
Give me a Break there will never be 20,000 jobs at Avalon its going backwards .
This has to be the stupidest statement ever made by a so called CEO then the local paper prints it as a jobs boom when people from Forstaff are being made redundant .

Worrals in the wilds
10th Jul 2012, 00:16
How many of them will be 'proper' aviation jobs and how many of them will be for car park attendants and casuals doing split shifts in the airport coffee shops? :hmm:

Jethro Gibbs
13th Jul 2012, 11:12
Qantas faced with 30 forced redundancies

Qantas faced with 30 forced redundancies | Geelong, VIC, Australia (http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/07/12/336771_news.html)

ALAEA Fed Sec
14th Jul 2012, 09:43
Thanx mods for leaving on the sticky list for so long. Before thread is lost to the nether, please note the 24 page booklet with results is with the printer. 400 copies to be sent people such as business leaders, press, pollies, management and in our case, ALAEA Reps.

Will be released on day that we choose to catch any follow up press. Electronic version will be available from union websites and I shall also post on here. Once released will be working on a version for global aviation unions via the ITF.

Thanx all for your participation.