PDA

View Full Version : Since Friday I cant get on some web sites.

magpienja
26th May 2012, 10:36
Very odd but since Friday 25 May I have not been able to get on some web sites such as the Flyer Forum as well as other,

But others users I have contacted still have access,

I am wondering if it could be connected with this new cookie law that came into effect on Friday 25 May,

Any ideas guys.

Nick.

mixture
26th May 2012, 10:41
Why the cross-posts Nick ? You've already posted the exact same question in Jet Blast. :ugh:

Talk to your ISP. Check the DNS settings on your compuiter.

And no, it's nothing to do with the cookie law.

magpienja
26th May 2012, 11:04
I have more info now that I know its a problem at my end...you must have more faith in ISPs than me...I like to sort things my self if I can with a little help.

Nick.

Milo Minderbinder
26th May 2012, 11:27
clear the internet cache

cycle the power on your router (the DNS resolution could have fallen over - it does happen from time to time - turning off/on refreshes it)

check the DNS settings on PC and router

which ISP are you with? Could be fault there - for instance Zen's DNS servers went partially titsup last night. I could only connect if the PCs were set to use OpenDNS

faulty router? Any sign of it overheating?

magpienja
26th May 2012, 11:36
Disconnected the router from the power last night...still the same...I will clear the cache now,

no prob accessing most web site just a few...

"check the DNS settings on PC and router....wouldn't have a clue how to do that...what involved"

We are with Virgin.

HAWK21M
26th May 2012, 11:59
Check your DNS Settings.

ericlday
26th May 2012, 14:54
'Check your DNS Settings.' ....he has already asked how you do it ?
Surely someone can guide him.

Milo Minderbinder
26th May 2012, 16:36
Assuming Vista or Win7

start > control panel (select classic view) >network and sharing centre >manage network connections > whichever is the active connection >properties >internet version 4 (TCP/IPv4)>properties>
tell us what the settings are in there
Forget the router - with virgin not a lot you can do there

magpienja
26th May 2012, 17:42
Sorry guys its Win XP...I dont think those instructions work with XP.

I am puzzled...why are most site connecting fine ????

magpienja
26th May 2012, 19:23
Been onto Virgin this afternoon...seems they know all about it and are working on it....thanks for your help guys.

magpienja
27th May 2012, 08:11
All sorted now...after Virgin finally got there finger out,

I wonder how difficult a job it would be for them to mail all there customers to save lots of head scratching.