PDA

View Full Version : A-Level pyhsics

Ian_Wannabe
13th Sep 2001, 01:27
Hey everyone,
I've just chosen to do A-Level Physics (God knows why) and I'm finding it a little difficult. So, how would this effect my chances of getting a sponsorship, or airline placement, in the future if I chose not to do it??
Thanks

Just incase it helps the answer my other chosen subjects are:

Geography
Design and Technology
English Language

[ 12 September 2001: Message edited by: Ian_Wannabe ]

Token Bird
13th Sep 2001, 12:46
A-level physics is not necessary for you to land a sponsorship. GCSE Physics will be enough to get you through any aptitudes you may have to do during selection, and will also be ample for you to cope with the ATPLs. Far better not to have done the subject at all than to have done it and failed. I think it may be worth switching to something useful like Maths or at least doing an AS-level in Maths, just to prove you can handle the techie stuff. Saying that though, it may be worth sticking out the Physics as sometimes it takes a few weeks for things to click when you first start A-levels,

TB

ljmf
13th Sep 2001, 22:24
My advice is to do something you`re interested in. I did one year of physics at A-level and found it very hard only because of the fact I was bored. ATPL ground exams are harder but I found them much easier purely because I could dedicate myself to studying someting I enjoy.

MikeSamuel
14th Sep 2001, 00:27
I think A Level Physics is worth working at. It is easy if you get your head around it. I've just finished my AS Physics (Doing A2)
If there is any stuff you would like a hand with, e-mail me, and I will send you some of my notes...
I got an A by the way :)

Mike

David Johnson
14th Sep 2001, 01:49
It is my view that you should stick with it. The reasons for this are many.

Firstly, you have just embarked on the hardest A-Level...it is not a micky mouse subject like many others. You are at this present time feeling what I and practically everyone else felt when they embarked on it. The main reason in my opinion is the fact that GCSE Physics especially in its "Double Award" guise is a joke and in no way prepares you for A-level.

When revising Physics you have to be pro-active. It is not like an arts subject were in effect you can learn it by reading and learning it off by heart. Physics is about application. There is no point in learning formulas and then expecting to be able to do questions because it isn't like that, you need to know how to manipulate those formulas and apply them to where they are needed.

Secondly it is held in high esteem by employers. People seem to selectively forget to state that on some sponsorship advertisements (BMI - formerly British Midland comes to mind) it clearly states that it is advantageous to have science subjects. I mean lets be real about this here, aviation is a high technology, science based industry, and it is those principles that are applied every day that allow the system to work.

Thirdly - you say I am finding it "a little difficult." Does this really justify just opting out? I suppose it depends on how you define "a little difficult" but just step back and think about it, knee jerk reactions like this will not solve anything, you need to be calculated and think things through. I am young myself (19) and don't want to appear to be patronising, but this is just one of the many "brick walls" that you will meet in life, and you know what? The people that work at it and really bust a gut-they are the people who are up there!

Lastly, and most importantly is the fact of alternative jobs. At your stage now you should have a clear idea of a "Plan A" and a "Plan B." When I chose my A-levels I chose them in such a way as to make me qualify for a varity of aviation disaplines. Some people might not like me saying this, but you really have to look at the options if for whatever reason you cannot become a pilot. There are numerous reasons and it is thus only sensible to guard yourself. True, if you really want to be a pilot and you have a lot of motivation and determination then that is great and very best of luck to you. However, it is only prudent to have alternative options.

I would like to make it absolutely clear that I am in any way saying that to be a pilot you need to do science subjects, that is absolutely untrue and ignorant of the facts. What I am saying is that to compete in this environment you need every string to your bow that you can get. People may disagree with some of my views above, that is fine, but they cannot disagree with my last statement.

[ 13 September 2001: Message edited by: David Johnson ]

JT8
14th Sep 2001, 03:02
Mate,

Stick with it. It's hard - I struggled in a major way. We used to get these progress tests after each chapter and I dont think I ever scored over 50%. Still, I stuck with it, worked my arse off and got a B - didnt miss an A by far.

..now to my teachers horror I have a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering. From A-Levels onward the most important thing is effort.

Best of luck,
JT8

[ 13 September 2001: Message edited by: JT8 ]

FlyFreeWbe
14th Sep 2001, 23:53
Stupidly enough I chose to do A level Physics also. I've only just started my AS levels and I do ft difficult. But I think it is gr8 fun because I have teachers who don't like teaching boring things, so there's always new angles and puns intended. ;)
I think it is worth having a go at. Some things I didn't understand I'd just read up on and it was real simple after that. Think about getting a tutor (that's what I'm gonna do soon, if not now, nxt year). Anyway, gotta go do some h/w (Vectors and Scalars...yeh!!) http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/bangin.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sleep.gif

Genghis the Engineer
15th Sep 2001, 15:01
Don't give up, you need the skills physics will give you. It is all about analysing problems with maths, and finding the right answer.

Guess what, much of aviation is like that too. You are not just sat in that class to get a tick in the box, you're there to gain skills that you'll need when you leave school.

A-levels aren't supposed to be easy, they are supposed to teach you a lot - treat it that way.

And if that isn't enough motivation, think how to explain to an interview board, deciding whether to put you through 1yr+ of expensive and tough flying training, that you gave up a technical A-level because it was too hard. Next candidate please !

G

PPRuNe Dispatcher
15th Sep 2001, 20:45
I did A-level physics just because it was the "thing to do" if I was going to do A-level maths & chemistry. I was lucky enough to have a very gifted A-level physics teacher, Eric Green, who made what can be a dry subject very very interesting indeed. With the interest came the want, no, the need to know why and from that point on doing A-level physics was actually one of the most enjoyable and rewarding (but not the easiest!) things I've ever done.

---Mik

IanBowden
15th Sep 2001, 22:20
i am just going on to A2 now, got a B is AS, and also do Biology and Geography (have an AS in Eng Lit too) and yes, it is hard, but stick with it. It can be boring but a lot of the stuff in the sylabus i am doing will apply to stuff in flying training. Its hard but with work you can be successful, if you have any questions on the AS, email me.

Ian Bowden