PDA

View Full Version : Jump seat rides

rob_frost
13th Sep 2001, 00:30
In light of the recent tragedy, what are the propects of ever getting a jump seat ride again?

If I were a pilot, I would keep that door locked and bolted, but.............

Rob

scroggs
13th Sep 2001, 00:50
Rob, in what way do you think a locked flight deck door would have prevented yesterday's events - had they happened elsewhere? You do appreciate that US airlines operate with locked flight deck doors by law? If a terrorist wants your aeroplane, only a gun in his face will prevent him - or, better, airport security preventing his access in the first place.
Having said that, I suspect that the knee-jerk stable-door closers will make it illegal for non-crew to be on an airliner flight deck. So, although it will do no use, you're probably right that flight deck visits will end. Incidentally, 'jump seats' are occupied by airline staff from start to finish of a flight. As a passenger, you may (currently) be invited to visit the flight deck. You may even be invited to sit down for a take-off or landing but, strictly speaking, you don't have a jump seat. Semantics, I know. Sorry!

Lazlo
13th Sep 2001, 11:45
Due to the security level in the UK being pushed up to HIGH all flight deck visits are banned. No chance of getting up there I'm afraid, and it will be like this for a long time.

Lazlo

davidlwilley
15th Sep 2001, 04:34
what a pity........will make all my future flights as a passenger terminally boring.A visit to the flight deck always made the flight bearable.

AH64 APACHE
15th Sep 2001, 04:46
I do not think that anymore jumpseat rides wil occur - I am not going to give anymore as a pilot - who knows what lurks beneath!!! :eek:

salapilot
15th Sep 2001, 13:33
it's seems your not just in charge of a jetliner but probably the most sophisticated cruise missile ever !!!

Salapilot

EGDR
15th Sep 2001, 13:50
Who gives a stuff about jump seat rides in view of recent events. Hey 10,000 people are dead, but who cares, I want to know if I'll get a jump seat !!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE !!!!! :mad:

[ 15 September 2001: Message edited by: EGDR ]

Wedge
15th Sep 2001, 15:51
Fair point EGDR. You could argue that those talking about BA recruitment being stopped should wait and put it in perspective. Personally I don't think realistically people should not talk about the impact that these events will have on them - I think the impact to Wannabes will be pretty extensive. I think all airlines will stop recruiting for the time being, we were looking on the verge of a recession before Tuesday up to which point I believed we would ride it out but now...........

I immediately realised that the privelidge of jumpseating that I have enjoyed the past few years is over - for the time being at least. As time goes on I think things may change but forget about it for at least 12 months.

Airborne Hamster
15th Sep 2001, 20:46
Jumpseat rides have always been an interesting pastime.However people must realise that in the light of the recent obvious developments crews cannot be expected to bring forward as a matter of course.If you are future crew employed by the Airline,then obviously it is essential that you observe.For the rest though,sorry,the good old days are gone.

However,we can make a difference.Let's bloody make one.

Whirlybird
15th Sep 2001, 22:38
EGDR, calm down. Life goes on for the rest of us. It would be wrong if it didn't. And for some, they'd like that to include the possibility of getting a jump seat ride someday. Have you stopped eating, sleeping, and planning for the future, because 10,000 people are dead? This is no different. I understand your anger about Tuesday's events, but don't take it out on someone who asked a very straghtforward question.

Base leg
15th Sep 2001, 23:13
Despite still being a gonnabee I have no problem with missing jump seat rides in the future,if that is what the authorities deam fit. It just means that next time I'm in a jet cockpit I'll be in the right hand seat.

Now is the time, Mr. President

[ 18 September 2001: Message edited by: Base leg ]

rob_frost
17th Sep 2001, 01:28
Thanks for the support. I do have a great deal of sorrow and pity for anyone involved in the bombings. I really enjoy flying, but for various reasons I do not want to do it as a job. So the nearest I will get it is the jumpseat. I have done it twice,and it is very interesting, much more so than any other type of flying. SO naturally I am concerned about my future chances. That doesn't mean I don't care about the people affected by this act of mass murder.