PDA

View Full Version : Of course the toilet is in the shower

ChrisVJ
24th May 2012, 11:40
At various times we have stayed in some very low life hotels and in some of them, in E Asia, the bathroom has been what you might call "spacesaving." There have been a couple where the toilet, shower and lavatory (American usage) have been crammed into about 3 ft by 3 ft together with towel rail, paper holder instant hot water heater and various sundry wires hanging out of the walls, (just to keep one on one's toes, so to speak.) I am sure it can be very convenient to shower, shave and pooh all at the same time, too.

However we are currently staying in a very pleasant place in Vietnam where the room is spacious and so is the bathroom, with a big free standing bath, a nice vanity and a big shower with etched glass door and hotel logo so I was surprised to realise, when we entered, that something was missing. After a bit of a hunt we found a very smart, one piece toilet in the shower.

Now it is true there is a little curtain you can pull across so the shower does not soak the TP but the arrangement, in so commodious a bathroom, does strike me as a little strange. We stayed in the same place last year, in another room, and the shower was over the bath (where it sprayed most of the bathroom anyway!) so why?

Ancient Observer
24th May 2012, 11:42
Have you tried a holiday in a small caravan, or on a small boat on the river? (UK size small) You don't need to go to Asia for creative bathroom arrangements.
Keeping the toilet paper dry is always a challenge.

Davaar
24th May 2012, 12:37
or on a small boat on the river

Never; Ancient. I recall a book in which Peter Ustinov wrote to the effect that he had a boat that could accommodate five people or two prudes. Put me with the prudes. At Dijon, France, there used to be a "palace" of, umm, fragrant memory.

MagnusP
24th May 2012, 12:57
Sure it wan't the bidet? :p

parabellum
24th May 2012, 13:16
I love the Arabian Dhow for this, whilst everyone else gets on with their work you get the chance to go to that little box, all on your own, think nice thoughts and dump in the Arabian Sea! Hopefully a picture will be here shortly! (Not the Dump, the 'Box').

ChrisVJ
24th May 2012, 15:32
Indeed the first sailing holiday on which I took my wife. We arrived at the harbour in Corfu to find some very nice boats.

"No, over here," the flotilla leader said, pointing to some 27 ft wrecks. The decks were all stained, (probably the blood of previous customers) the rigging sagged and below none of the bulheads fitted. If you used the head the people at the salon table knew all about it, both aural and nasal. When you stood to pull up your pants your head stuck a good eighteen inches through the hatch.

We were sharing with a couple, (who weren't even a couple,) who had never sailed before. She was a little over sensitive. I was on my best behaviour for the whole week but after she said that if I had been her husband she would not have divorced him, she would have murdered him. I can't imagine why.

Davaar
24th May 2012, 16:11
I can't imagine why.

Oh I can! On that long ago trip to France I longed beyond imagining for a British ship at the Channel port, and for one main reason. How did France ever capture its reputation as the centre of culture when it has yet to invent the w.c.?

Fareastdriver
24th May 2012, 17:19
Going back to the first post that is the standard arrangement for cheaper apartments in the Far East. The shower is taken standing astride the floor level asian toilet and a wash basin in on the side. A flow heater, electric or gas, supplies the shower water so you control the temperature with the water flow, ie fast = cold, slow = hottish.

Always remember to take the change out of your pockets before you have a crap.

Milo Minderbinder
24th May 2012, 21:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkHwo6i8AHI

Sydy
24th May 2012, 21:37
Well...

When you drop your bombs, it is better be bullseye!

Milo Minderbinder
24th May 2012, 22:05
and you don't want to drop the bar of soap

reynoldsno1
25th May 2012, 02:09
mrs r1's family are farmers in Northern Thailand - we visit every year. This arrangement is very familiar to me, and works fine. The big mistake, of course, is thinking that there will be any toilet paper - that's what the tap & bucket are for. The bucket often contains a small bowl which you can use to hold sufficient water to clean yourself ... probably more hygenic than many western arrangements.

It does require a certain ability to be able to achieve a total squat whilst still balancing with the soles of the fleet flat on the floor - fortunately I retain enough flexibility to do so, but it could be difficult for some of the larger westerners amongst us...:hmm:

Solar
25th May 2012, 04:56
Years ago working offshore Malaysia seen a message on the rear of a toilet door which said "you know your here too long when the footprints on the toilet seat are your own". I can understand the squat toilet ok but find it strange that they will adopt the squat attitude on top of a western style toilet. I have seen many a western style toilet bowl broken because of this and I've heard of some serious injuries as a result. Doesn't bear thinking about.

ChrisVJ
25th May 2012, 09:30
I haven't actually used a squat toilet since Paris, about 1969. What bothers me, seing the all around splatter when one has the runs, is how one keeps it off one's sandalled feet.

airship
25th May 2012, 15:43
I recall my very first visit to the south of France back in early 1985. Arrived at destination after overnight rail journey from Paris. Walked to the tourist information office to enquire about accomodation. Felt quite rich, so opted for reasonably priced double-room with en-suite bathroom in nearby 2-star hotel:

Whilst being shown the room, mistook bidet for standard toilet, checked-in for 10 days. Later that afternoon, had to use the toilet for a no.1. Could not find toilet, used bidet instead. Went looking for "Mr. B. Fawlty" to complain but noone at reception at this time. Very tired, went to bed, woke up very late at night. Used bidet for No.2 (had to use abnormal methods to ensure results went down drainhole), went back to bed. Following morning, best as I could in broken French, enquired at reception "where was the toilet for my room?" The reply was "on the same floor, turn right, 1st door on the right..."!

I'm sure most of you would agree with me in classifying my contribution to the original post here as being utter crap. Deservedly so.

rgbrock1
25th May 2012, 15:47
Being an uncouth, ill-mannered and uncultured American that I was, the first time i visited France - Cannes to be exact - back in the early '90's I had no idea what the bidet was for. So I pissed in it thinking it was a urinal of some sort. Until my German Fraeulein at the time told me what it was really used for.

Tee-hee.

ShyTorque
25th May 2012, 15:53
Confucious say: "When using squat toilet, never have mobile phone in back pocket".

(Clatter, clatter, oh damn)!

-------------------------------------------

I stayed on a camp site in Southern France where the men's urinal was on the (only four foot high) outer wall of a hexagonal building. Immediately on the other side of the wall were the washing up sinks (i.e. dish washing facilty, not bottoms!).

It took some time to get used to the idea of "watering the wall" with one's back to the forest whilst standing face to face with a french lady washing her dishes.... :O

Carbon Bootprint
25th May 2012, 16:31
While there is perhaps a bit more separation than some of the applications discussed here, this is similar to the arrangement at Yotel at LHR (and presumably the others at LGW and AMS).

Fareastdriver
25th May 2012, 16:48
A Canadian company was going to the Northwest China to do some exploratory drilling. There were going to be there for some time so the camp was fairly sophisticated. They had done it before worldwide so the camp travelled around with them in flat pack form.
To assemble it on site they engaged a Chinese contractor who had a good reputation for this sort of thing. The camp arrived by sea and they had a practice assembly of the huts on the dockside. They seem to put everything in the right places so off they went to the site.
A week or so later the project manager went to see how they were getting on. He was incredibly impressed. They had the generators running, the water system in place and were equipping the huts with kitchens and beds. He then went to inspect a bathroom. The shower was in and working, as was the washbasin, the only problem was with the western style toilet.

It had been sunk into the ground so the rim was flush with the floor.

Mike744
25th May 2012, 18:22
I love the Arabian Dhow for this, whilst everyone else gets on with their work you get the chance to go to that little box, all on your own, think nice thoughts and dump in the Arabian Sea! Hopefully a picture will be here shortly! (Not the Dump, the 'Box').

Think its called a Zuli, the Box not the Dump

parabellum
26th May 2012, 01:57
I haven't actually used a squat toilet since Paris, about 1969. What bothers me, seing the all around splatter when one has the runs, is how one keeps it off one's sandalled feet.

Remove footware and place at a safe distance, take up the dump position and dump, clean oneself and surrounds, including washing feet, replace footware, continue.;)

tech9803
26th May 2012, 05:07
I lived in a university dormitory in Aus with a lot of Asian students, and damage to the commode seats from the feet of people trying to squat was an occasional event as each new year of students arrived.

Milo Minderbinder
26th May 2012, 12:18
BBC News - Swansea University puts up toilet instruction posters (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16983788)

PAXboy
26th May 2012, 13:40
When visiting Japan 20 years ago ... on the Shinkansen there were male urinals as separate spaces to the toilets and clearly marked. It was sensible as it created more loos.

However, the 'door' was a half panel - think of the classic swing doors on the bar room of an old western movie! So you could be seen - from the back of course- but it was sometimes difficult to 'relax' hearing people walking behind you or realising that another guy was waiting for you to finish.

I dare say that the modern trains have full doors.

Davaar
26th May 2012, 13:52
Student James Trott told BBC Wales: "It's a bit stupid really... it's just pretty damn funny."

But of course: It is just a sensible accommodation to the well-known "Trott's Effect".

OFSO
27th May 2012, 16:24
However, the 'door' was a half panel

Go and look at the loo doors in the Boulevard Rosa Shopping Mall, Barcelona, half way up the Passeig de Gracia, on the left. Clear glass which only turns opaque when you slide the bolt shut. As the facilities are unisex you see some interesting sights when members of the fair sex (God Bless 'Em, but sometimes/frequently they are not technically gifted) don't realise you have to slide the bolt ALL the way shut to trigger the microswitch.

radeng
28th May 2012, 08:10
How do people unable to squat because of things like arthritis or sciatica get on?

lasernigel
28th May 2012, 10:19
You can't beat a "shovel recce" either in Germany at -23C on Soltau plains, or in the desert Kuwait at +50C. Showers?? Forget that in Germany the water was frozen in the Jerry cans and we shared a bowl of hot water that was heated up above a parafin stove. Kuwait the sweat drys before it even reaches your overalls. Everyone smells the same so no probs until you get back to your married quarter, my wife had me stripping off at the door.

tu chan go
28th May 2012, 12:28
Various stories spring to mind......

My son and I did an RYA sailing course last year on a 37 foot yacht and we developed a saying "never pass up the chance of a shore based toilet!"

My wife was in a self-cleaning toilet in France when it decided to clean itself.....she was wearing trousers which she had to very quickly gather up out of the ensuing flood.......oh how we laughed!

I was on ops in Kuwait when I saw the jingly (member of one of the subcontinent countries) cleaner mopping the floor....back and forward over the floor.....plung down the hole-in-the-floor bog.......back onto the floor......up onto the sinks...around the taps..........with the same mop!
I never used that toilet block again!!!!!!

Out in the woods doing survival training being briefed by the instructor how to poop in the woods......"find a tree.....dig a a hole next to tree.....peel flying suit off shoulders......MAKE SURE SAID SUIT IS GATHERED OUT OF THE WAY!!!......lean against tree......carry out evacuation......check that flying suit has not gathered said evacuation!......dress ......fill in hole

Fareastdriver
28th May 2012, 19:46
How do people unable to squat because of things like arthritis or sciatica get on?

They don't suffer because they have done it all their life. Most Asians over a certain age also make a point about exercising, throwing back pints in a boozer isn't their lifestyle, so they are remarkably fit until very late in their life cycle.

probes
29th May 2012, 07:05
as for arthritis, it can just end your career:

Meet the Fokkens: Documentary about twin 69-year-old prostitutes Louise and Martine | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2150023/Meet-Fokkens-Documentary-twin-69-year-old-prostitutes-Louise-Martine.html)