PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird message display - Yahoo mails

rans6andrew
24th May 2012, 09:13
Yo!

whenever my partner receives, in Thunderbird, emails with attachments, sent from Yahoo mail she finds that the attachment is put as "in-line", the sender and subject spaces are blank and the character encoding is wrong.

Putting .wmv files as in-line text doesn't work well.

This has been happening for a couple of weeks.

I have the same setup on my machine, we both use Mailwasher and Thunderbird 12.0.1

I have run from room to room, comparing the set-up of the two Thunderbirds and they seem to be the same.

I can send from Yahoo to both of us at the same time and compare the outcome.

I think it may be an issue with the mail server as her Mailwasher shows the same issues with sender and subject contents being blank. We use the same mail server.

How might I confirm where the problem lies?

Rans6.....

Milo Minderbinder
24th May 2012, 19:45
from the dropdown menu

View > view attachments inline (untick....)

also look at View > message body as > original HTML

PS-In my view Mailwasher is a waste of time - you end up with two programs doing the work of one, meaning you have to view your e-mail twice!

rans6andrew
7th Jun 2012, 13:28
ta Milo, it is not the "show attachments inline" that is causing the problems, the attachments (like a 5Mb .mpg file) are being shown in ASCII, not good for non text documents, the header info (all internet nodes the mail passes through en route are being displayed) is all being shown in line, the subject in the email is not showing in the inbox list and the sender is not showing in the inbox list.

I cannot find anything in the Thunderbird setup which controls how incoming file data is interpretted, all of the options for file format control the sent mail encoding.

Today I have un-installed Mail Washer and removed some remnants of Eudora mail browser from the system. The problems persist.

I then configured another machine to read (but leave on server) the same host mailbox, this has confirmed that the emails on the server are not messed up. So it is something in my partners system that upsets the format of incoming email.

She has Win XP, fully updated, AVG, Zone alarm and the latest Thunderbird. We are sure that it is not a Thunderbird issue as the email format is broken when it is scanned by Mailwasher.

This leads us to look for something else in her system. What else might corrupt incoming email between the ethernet port and the inbox? When she was using Eudora as a mail browser she had endless issues with many messages being received multiple times, everything with an attachment came in up to 8 copies!

Something is strange in her machine when running mailtools. Otherwise the machine is fine, stable, capable etc.has yet to show the blue screen of death or need rebooting without good reason. The hardware is two years old.

Help!

Rans6....

Milo Minderbinder
7th Jun 2012, 14:01
Zone alarm.......

Uninstall it and then set the windows firewall to default settings
What happens?

rans6andrew
7th Jun 2012, 19:50
found the bu99er!

It was f$%^king AVG causing the problems with some emails. Having un-installed Mailwasher, ZoneAlarm and a few other things I finally got to look at AVG which was proudly telling me that the system was "fully protected". I disabled the mail checking in AVG, sent a sample mail from Yahoo, and it came through intact.

Maybe time to try another anti virus, any suggestions?

Perhaps Avast............

Rans6....

Milo Minderbinder
7th Jun 2012, 19:52
Avast - unless your e-mail requires SSL in which case its a pain