PDA

View Full Version : Balls of steel.

Airborne Aircrew
23rd May 2012, 18:05
TLsD-4czOXg

Sprogget
23rd May 2012, 18:20
Balls of steel indeed. Also, brain of papier mache, alabaster legs & a knob of butter.

4mastacker
23rd May 2012, 19:36
Any truth in the rumour a certain low-cost airline is looking at this as a way of flying passengers to more than one airport on a single trip without having to land? (apologies for aviation content)

G-CPTN
23rd May 2012, 19:57
Why didn't he effect a stall?

Apart from when landing on water, birds manage it . . .

Lyman
23rd May 2012, 20:02
g limited? Maybe he's Navy....

sisemen
24th May 2012, 03:20
Very forward thinking to use a pile of cardboard boxes to land on.

If the landing hadn't worked then all they would have had to have done was close the flaps of the box and pop him in the hole ready packaged.

Job done!

Lantern10
24th May 2012, 03:42
A very brave man. Well done Gary.:D

handsfree
24th May 2012, 06:16
I wonder if those boxes were filled with mad frogs. Would have been fitting.

Flap 5
24th May 2012, 06:35
The FTSE was down a lot.

B Fraser
24th May 2012, 06:46
I like to think of myself as a reformed adrenaline junkie but that was farking brave. The only way to improve on that would be to have a smaller pile of boxes until some loon misses and ploughs a furrow all the way to his final resting place.

That chap has a set of bollocks milled from a billet of forged tungsten that sound a perfect middle "C" when struck with a small hammer. I doff my hat in your general direction Sir. It makes me proud to be British.

dead_pan
24th May 2012, 07:01
Was there any science in this stunt, or did he just go for it and see what happened?

When I heard about this a few weeks back I thought we'd have another candidate for a Darwin award.

RJM
24th May 2012, 07:06
There's a lot of science in it, as I understand.

I wonder whether water would be ok to land on?

Alloa Akbar
24th May 2012, 07:48
And the point of it was...?? Mind you, had he missed, then a self digging grave would have been something to see.. :p

There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.. there is usually a worthwhile reason for acts of bravery.. :rolleyes:

SpringHeeledJack
24th May 2012, 08:02

Well if a belly flop from a metre high hurts like hell at the local pool, then a terminal velolcity strike on the water's surface would certainly tinge a bit :p

SHJ

dead_pan
24th May 2012, 08:58
It does look one of those movie stunts where the star emerges unscathed from behind the scenery after a stuntman has done his thing.

I wonder if the stuntman was stretchered away unseen behind the pile of boxes whilst Gary emerges triumphantly from the front...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th May 2012, 09:45
This kind of thing has been going on for a while.

How to avoid terminal hassles when changing planes

Plane to Plane Skydive by Joe Jennings - YouTube

Fancy a drive?

SKYDIVING IN A CAR .. - YouTube

threepeanutpax
24th May 2012, 09:57
He was very lucky that Starsky and Hutch did not scatter the boxes for him with their car before he got there!

Ancient Mariner
24th May 2012, 10:54
Balls of steel? Check this out.
Ouuuuch. :ooh:
Per
Sorry, none of my videolinks worked very well. Search for "americas got talent, horse"

Airborne Aircrew
24th May 2012, 11:24
For those asking about whether there is any "science" in this the man is a professional stuntman, Link (http://www.thestuntbase.com/). Surprisingly, stuntmen are not just men and women with large balls/breasts and no brains but rather they plan their "stunts" in great detail often using complex formulas to determine speeds, distances, amount of explosive etc.

As it said in the video, he was travelling at about 80mph on impact. He was aware of that and was aware that as long as he hit the boxes along their axis that he had a very good chance of walking away unharmed.

Those of you calling him stupid... We'd still be walking everywhere if it wasn't for people who are prepared to push the envelope or challenge conventional "wisdom".

cwatters
24th May 2012, 16:28
Wing suit fly-by...

A birthday wingsuit flyby - YouTube

and one that got a little too close to the mountain (he survived). I guess you could call that the first touch-n-go in a wing suit...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaOlNgKOj5I&feature=related

BadgerGrowler
24th May 2012, 16:38

I was told (rightly or wrongly) that hitting water above 30mph is like smashing into a concrete wall.

dead_pan
24th May 2012, 17:35
stuntmen are not just men and women with large balls/breasts

Is this a pre-requisite for women in this profession? I really must pay more attention next time I'm watching a female stunt double.

Those of you calling him stupid... We'd still be walking everywhere if it wasn't for people who are prepared to push the envelope or challenge co nventional "wisdom".

To some extent maybe, although I do struggle to see any real-world application for this. Now if if could land without the cardboard boxes...

G-CPTN
24th May 2012, 17:40
Now if he could land without the cardboard boxes.
I expect that to be the next stage - once he has perfected the stall.

Sprogget
24th May 2012, 17:56
Perfecting the stall will involve perfecting the suit, by making it at least twice the size it is now.

Hold on, we've had these things for years, they're called hang gliders. The only difference being you don't stitch yourself into the sail. Great things, hang gliders, they do things you would not expect. Downwind straight at the hill landing anyone?

POM fly on wall - YouTube

cwatters
24th May 2012, 18:06
On a physics forum some years ago I was asked if it it would be possible to jump out of a plane without a chute and land on a very tall childs playground slide that gradually slowed you down and spat you out horizontally. I approximated the shape of the slide to a quarter of a circle (eg vertical at the top), assumed a reasonable terminal velocity and that you didn't want to pull massive g forces (say 2g). If I remember correctly the equations suggested a slide a few hundred meters tall could work. Less if you are happy with higher g force or reduce terminal velocity by wearing a winged suits. I recommend wearing motor bike leathers to deal with the friction burns.

dead_pan
24th May 2012, 18:10
I expect that to be the next stage - once he has perfected the stall.

He'll need a good pair of steel toe-capped boots along with double-D breast implants, by all accounts.

Two's in
24th May 2012, 18:28
However many boxes there were, I bet it still looked very small at 80mph and 3 grand. Nice job.

Matari
25th May 2012, 01:30
I suppose one of the most difficult things to master is holding that 'spread eagle' posture all the way to impact. All the while your mind is telling you 'curl up!', 'make a ball!', 'protect your face and nads!'

SASless
25th May 2012, 02:35
Good thing they took the Refrigerators out of the boxes in the first video!

ehwatezedoing
25th May 2012, 02:56
However many boxes there were, I bet it still looked very small at 80mph and 3 grand. Nice job.

18000 something.

head-cam-footage-shows-danger-of-stuntmans-jump (http://www.itv.com/news/2012-05-24/head-cam-footage-shows-danger-of-stuntmans-jump/)

:eek:

Still looks awfully small from above!
And went 2/3 down before hitting it.

critter592
25th May 2012, 05:13
Barmy. Bloody barmy.

It would have been more impressive if he'd landed on his feet.;)

This chap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade) did it from much higher, and without a parachute.

Cacophonix
25th May 2012, 09:07
Hold on, we've had these things for years, they're called hang gliders.

The difference in glide ratio of the old Rogallo wing (for example) +- 4.5 to 1 and a modern high performance jump suit +- 2.5 to 1 shows how much closer to being a stone than a hang glider this guy was.

To achieve that "glide" ratio he had to land at +- 80 miles an hour (faster than your average spam can).

To land as he did required pin point accuracy, great technique and cojones of steel.

I doff my hat to him.

Caco

Sprogget
25th May 2012, 09:20
Which refers back to the other comment about doubling the size of the suit. Incidentally, Rogallo wings were old hat last century! A class 2 wing such as the Avian Cheetah will easily glide at 18:1. Times change.

I have no problem with Gary Connery's clanking metallic under structure, what I question is the desire to pointlessly reinvent the wheel.

Cacophonix
25th May 2012, 09:27
Rogallo wings were old hat last century!

True! Flew my first Rogallo in the 70s and still have knee problems to testify to their lack of performance and my age! ;)

Caco

ShyTorque
25th May 2012, 14:56
Have they got the dead bloke out of the cardboard box yet?

The stuntman was already hiding, in the next row.......

gingernut
25th May 2012, 22:51
head-cam-footage-shows-danger-of-stuntmans-jump (http://www.itv.com/news/2012-05-24/head-cam-footage-shows-danger-of-stuntmans-jump/)

He was at least two thirds of the way down the landing strip, he should have effected a go-around. :8

bnt
25th May 2012, 23:13
Why didn't he effect a stall?

Apart from when landing on water, birds manage it . . .
AFAIK the stall speed of that suit is still around 50mph, and it's not progressive i.e. get it wrong and it's a very hard landing. That speed also makes landing on water sound like a bad idea. He did flare a bit over the boxes to lose speed, but he did not want to overshoot them, naturally.

I'm wondering whether it will be possible to fit wheels to e.g. his knees and hands, and land on a runway?

G-CPTN
25th May 2012, 23:19
I'm wondering whether it will be possible to fit wheels to e.g. his knees and hands, and land on a runway?
Or have an arrestor wire!

critter592
26th May 2012, 00:50
But what will he use for an arrestor hook? :}