PDA

View Full Version : TV remote control inventer has changed channels

SpringHeeledJack
23rd May 2012, 07:08
BBC News - TV remote control inventor Eugene Polley dies at 96 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18164200)

A small invention perhaps, but what a game changing invention, sometime literally if one were a sports fan :p Never has so much laziness been owed by so many to so few. I can still remember having to get up each time a channel change was required, although with only 4 channels, perhaps this wasn't the nightmare that it would be in today's world. Can you imagine trying to channel surf ? It would resemble a form of St Vitus dance...RIP sir!

SHJ

Sprogget
23rd May 2012, 07:12
Are they sure he's dead? Have they tried changing his batteries round & banging him on the coffee table?

sitigeltfel
23rd May 2012, 07:33
Maybe he has just disappeared under a sofa cushion.

B Fraser
23rd May 2012, 07:51
Sprogget, you can bang him on the coffee table if you like but I'll just say thanks.

Worrals in the wilds
23rd May 2012, 08:43
Are they sure he's dead? Have they tried changing his batteries round & banging him on the coffee table? ROFLMAO. :ok:
Without him we'd still be knocking over vases while trying to poke the TV buttons with an oversized barbeque fork.
These kids today don't understand hardship. :}:}

osmosis
23rd May 2012, 12:35
I use a calculator when I cant find the remote. Thank God for whomever invented calculators.

G-CPTN
23rd May 2012, 12:43
In our household the device was called the doofer.

A A Gruntpuddock
23rd May 2012, 13:22
In our household the device was called the daughter (and she kept moaning about it!)..

Evanelpus
23rd May 2012, 15:05
In our house it's called a stick and Eugene, on behalf of most men in the world, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!:ok:

dazdaz1
23rd May 2012, 18:07
Bet Drapes (cue music from Hovis advert) had invented some similar device pre 50s for his radio (cue music from Hovis advert)........................

Daz

SpringHeeledJack
23rd May 2012, 19:35
Where is Herr Drapes, I haven't seen him about for a while ?

SHJ

Fareastdriver
23rd May 2012, 19:44
At the end of the seventies we had a TV with a sonic remote. It sent a different, inaudible to humans, high pitched sound to select channels, volumes etc. Of course, the dog could hear it and the kids tried for ages to try and teach it to sit, beg or roll over with just the remote.

tony draper
23rd May 2012, 19:48
Tiz rare Draper skill,we just merge with the background and they don't see us until it's to late.
:rolleyes:

Ascend Charlie
24th May 2012, 01:07
In 1965 my cousin had a remote which used a rubber squeeze bulb attached to a hose to the back of the TV, every pump changed one channel up.

An interesting time could be had with the girlfriend on the lounge after the oldies had gone to bed, remote unseen under a cushion, every bounce changed a channel.:ooh:

Loose rivets
24th May 2012, 06:18
Dynatron telly, with thick cord to a button-box.

"Can't have this trailing across the floor." Says I.

Number one son sent under the floor in the 18" gap above the over-site. Nice reel of extra multicore behind the sofa, and Bob's yer uncle.

He's never quite forgiven me for some of the tasks he had to undertake. Can't think why.

EDIT: in case yers were bloody wondering.

We inherited one of those Murphy sets with the Dinger remote when we bought the house. Two bars of metal made the tones, and it used electric MOTORS to rotate the turret tuner, and volume controls.

I already said, EDIT.:*

Hydromet
24th May 2012, 08:56
In our household the device was called the doofer.
In our house it's called a stick
My 4yo granddaughter christened it 'the telemote'.

MagnusP
24th May 2012, 10:25
a sonic remote.

A friend's family had one of those. They also had a large whisky bottle in which to save loose change, and he swore that dropping coins into the bottle would sometimes make the telly change channel.

Our first telly with a remote had a cable to the handset. At least you could find the damn thing.