PDA

View Full Version : Single Pilot Ops

Cherrypickers
22nd May 2012, 15:01
Im not really sure where this topic goes but I was wondering what makes a plane qualify for single pilot ops like a phenom100/300?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd May 2012, 19:15
Because it was designed for single pilot ops, and then successfully certified as such. Following that, an operator demonstrates that they can do so safely.

G

hingey
23rd May 2012, 11:37
As I understand it, a King Air 350 can be operated privately single pilot on the N register. However as it is above 5.7t, it is mandatory multi crew on an EU register. Under current regulations, before EASA FCL becomes compulsory, can it be flown on an FAA ticket, single crew on the N register in the EU?

h

Tourist
24th May 2012, 14:52
No, a Kingair 350 is a single pilot aircraft according to EU register. You can operate it multi crew, but the aircraft is not recognised as multi crew for the purposes of getting an ATPL etc

XiRho
24th May 2012, 16:44
Unless it is operated as multi crew on the AOC, then the time can be counted towards ATPL (as far as I am aware, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

BillieBob
24th May 2012, 17:27
Tourist is wrong. The requirements for an EASA ATPL include "500 hours in multi-pilot operations on aeroplanes" and FCL.001 defines multi-pilot operation on aeroplanes as "an operation requiring at least 2 pilots using multi-crew cooperation in either multi-pilot or single-pilot aeroplanes"

If a single-pilot aeroplane, such as the King Air 350, is required to be operated by at least 2 pilots (e.g. by the operator's AOC) then the flight time may be counted towards the multi-pilot experience requirement for ATPL issue.

Tourist
24th May 2012, 18:12
My apologies.
What I meant is that the 350 is no good for getting your multipilot IR for the issue of your ATPL, rather than the hours requirement.

Trust me, I've tried.

hingey
25th May 2012, 14:43
Thanks for the replies. this surprises me, I thought all aircraft over 5.7t had to multi crew in Easaland. So it can operated single crew, privately or AOC, on the N of EU register?

Tourist, I know people who fly the CJ as FOs and they can only count 50% of the hours towards their ATPL, even though every hour they fly goes in their log books.

h

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 05:10
Tourist is right you can't use the Kingairs LPC for a ATPL skills test.

You can use any approved multi crew hours though for the experence including flight engineer time for some of them.

And also you can get a wavier for doing the MCC course as well when moving onto a multicrew type which you didn't need to have for doing the SPA rating.

Cherrypickers
27th May 2012, 22:23
So a plane can be operated as single pilot if it has been designed too, there is no specific requirements such as has to be under a certain weight, needs specific equipment, anything like that?