PDA

View Full Version : B of B film on video

SteveR
17th Jan 2002, 18:51
The Battle of Britain is a classic, and it moved me profoundly when I went to see it with my Mum (I was too young to go on my own) at The Essoldo, Tunbridge Wells.

It never seems to appear on TV nowadays, I don't have it on video, and it seems to be impossible to buy on tape.

Has anybody got a copy they could lend me by post (I'm in Kent, U.K)?

I'm sure I can be reached through my profile on PPRuNe, or on my own site.

Steve R

ORAC
17th Jan 2002, 18:59
Amazon, £6.99

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CI7E/o/qid=1011279505/sr=2-1/ref=sr_bt_1/202-3185305-1795838" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CI7E/o/qid=1011279505/sr=2-1/ref=sr_bt_1/202-3185305-1795838</a>

SteveR
17th Jan 2002, 19:08
I looked there some time ago - found nothing but some documentaries - but lo! and behold it's on sale!! Thank you muchly - jus' gotta wait for Amazon to fulfill the order now.

(The scene which moved this 11 year old boy the most, at the time, was when the German crewmember got it in the eyes. Now I'm a good deal older the bits I'm looking forward to the most are the dogfight scenes when they drop the "dacka dacka" noises and just play fast classical music on the soundtrack).

Steve R

FNG
17th Jan 2002, 21:37
Glad to hear that Amazon now have it as they didn't last time I tried. You may hear the music quite a lot this year as it's William Walton's centenary so he's on Radio 3 the whole time. The long sequence set to his music is very good at conveying the relentless and punishing nature of the struggle. Have you seen the interesting reflections on the film as being itself a part of the historiography of the Battle, in the splendid essay collection "The Burning Blue", edited by Richard Overy, which came out the year before last. Well worth a look.

[ 17 January 2002: Message edited by: FNG ]</p>

Iron City
18th Jan 2002, 17:03
Not sure this is too applicable, but last time I saw BoB was in an IMAX theatre from about row 10 center. Awesome does not begin to cover it, as it puts any "wide screen" television yet made to shame. You would think you were IN the He-111 when the fighters attack. Goodness knows what it must have been like for real.

If a museum or other venue wants to stage a really great event and has an IMAX they can do everyone a huge favor by getting a good copy of the original BoB and showing it.