PDA

View Full Version : Flight of the Osprey

mickjoebill
22nd May 2012, 01:25
Some wonderful examples in a short clip, of an osprey demonstrating the principles of flight in this recently made available footage.
Check out in ground effect as it struggles to lift a large fish. Amazing shot of it twisting its wings in flight to shed water and aligning the fish in transit so it is aerodynamically clean.
Full credit to the cameraman.

Osprey -- the ultimate fisher - YouTube

Mickjoebill

Davaar
22nd May 2012, 01:41
................... and some grip, too!

The Ju 87 Stuka of bird predators.

I wonder ... can it possibly have a dive-alarm siren attached to the undercarriage?

DX Wombat
22nd May 2012, 10:55
In 1996 mum made her last trip back to the UK. Before she came I asked her where she would like to go with the caravan. The answer was Scotland so I planned a round trip of 1,100miles a different caravan site each night and taking in Loch Lomond, Loch Linne, Dornoch, Thurso, Kinlochewe etc. At Dornoch we stayed on a Caravan Club CL (only 5 caravans allowed). The farmer who owned it told us we could walk wherever we wished (except through crops) and made us feel very welcome. He also owned the trout fishery approximately 100 yards away across the lane. In the evening I noticed some gulls chasing a big bird over the nearby woods and presumed it was an owl. The following morning some other caravanners were chatting to us and asked if we had seen the osprey which made regular trips at least twice a day to the fishery to pick up a nice trout to feed the family. Just as we said no, it appeared, swooped over the trout pond and departed with a good sized trout in its talons. All four of us, plus their large Alsatian, were standing out in the open on the top of the small rise in the field and were clearly visible to the osprey who took not the slightest bit of notice. It was simply wonderful. No need to lurk sitting on a hard wooden bench in a dank hide, we just stood in the warm sunshine and couldn't believe our luck. Years later when mum's memory wasn't as good as it used to be she would always remember and mention the sight of that osprey. The farmer had a lovely attitude to the birds. It was, he said, well worth a few trout to see them around.

ArthurR
22nd May 2012, 12:04
Last year I was working near Berlin, I used to fish a small lake by Rangsdorf Brandenburg, I was fishing for carp, but had baited up from a spod rod, using that to make lots of bait around the area I was fishing, I am bottom fishing, but my ground bait included Hemp (home prepared, it stinks when being cooked), tinned sweetcorn, plus prepared ground bait. Not all sinks. After being there a while, we had the usual visit over the lake from a red kite, it slowed over the lake then suddenly dived at the water in the area I had set the ground bait, then without the wings touching the surface of the water carried away a medium sized fish. I know they are not supposed to do this, but maybe he had not read the book. I can only think the fish was surface feeding, and the kite took the opportunity to take the fish.

Blacksheep
22nd May 2012, 13:15
I used to watch white bellied sea eagles do just that, when I was out wind-surfing in Brunei Bay. (Are they related species I wonder?) Fantastic. I could watch them for hours. The thing I miss after coming back to UK is the absence of wild life.

I still feel sorry for the woman who put notices up in all the shops about her Chihuahua that went missing from her garden. She thought it had been kidnapped, but obviously never looked up to see the eagles circling over the rubbish tip, not a mile down from the address she put on the notices. :suspect:

Helol
22nd May 2012, 18:37
Arthur - No reason at all for a red kite not to take fish. They are opportunistic scavengers however they can and do take live prey, including taking fish from water if the opportunity presents itself.

Blacksheep - There is plenty of wildlife about, including of the avian variety at the top of the food chain.

rgbrock1
22nd May 2012, 19:04
I thought you meant this Osprey:

http://www.hightech-edge.com/wp-content/uploads/boeing-bell-v22-osprey.jpg

G-CPTN
22nd May 2012, 19:09
You wouldn't want to get too close to the ground flying that . . .

vulcanised
22nd May 2012, 21:03
Or give any hand signals...........

Blacksheep
22nd May 2012, 23:15
Nowhere near as much as I used to get in our garden, Helol. Macaques, Silver Tree Monkeys, monitor lizards up to five feet long, kraits, cobras - a nice ten foot longking cobra on one occasion! Lots of frogs that attracted bronze backs, monster rhinoceros beetles, and in the house of course, Alice the saucer sized gekko eating spider who lived under the sofa.

That's the kind of interesting wild life that I miss. It's critters like that make life interesting. :)

pigboat
23rd May 2012, 00:24
Old Norseman drivers will develop an instant empathy with the osprey in the second part of that clip. ;)