PDA

View Full Version : PPL Hong Kong

jj97101
20th May 2012, 10:22
Hi, I am looking to do my PPL and was wondering if anyone could reccomend any good flight schools, tried a google search but didn't come up with much, and can anyone give any information on the pricing, location etc. if HK isn't the best place to do it can anyone recommend where to go and what flight schools are good.
Thanks in advance

SloppyJoe
20th May 2012, 10:47
http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour/475746-hkac-any-good.html

jj97101
27th May 2012, 12:54
Thanks a lot Sloppy Joe, feel sort of stupid for not doing a forum search first but oh well. :hmm:
After looking at that thread I've decided to study for the ppl here and then go to Australia for the flight hours, but my problem is I'm not sure which books are the best to do this, I know there is another thread like this somewhere on pprune but it is quite old and they recommend the 'Pratt PPL books' however I looked on amazon and other websites but they said that the most recent publication is 2004, I was just wondering if they are still valid and if they are where you can buy them in HK (Amazon shipping prices a bit expensive) and if they're not, what books are there that are more up to date?
Thanks in advance.
JJ

Kristoff
4th Jun 2012, 15:45
It doesn't make sense to DO your PPL in Hong Kong IF you want to fly around the word. The reason for this is the license is restricted so you can't convert it, basically it's useless outside of HK.

If you plan to stay in HK and have the money, the HKAC might be right for you. The instructors are friendly and polite, the main issue is you are restricted to one hour a week and the prices are quite steep 1.5k up.

I'm a member of the HKAC however I'm doing my PPL in Mumbai at the Bombay Flying Club which has various courses including a degree as well as ties to the University of Mumbai.

I have spoken to the HKCAD I will be converting the DGCA license to a CAD license.

Hit me up if you'd like any more information.

silencer88
5th Jun 2012, 12:12
just finished JAA PPL in US and get FAA validation, I think it would be a reasonable option better than flying here. can do it in a short time and in a lower cost (in terms of currency).

Kristoff
7th Jun 2012, 11:41
How much did you pay & how long was the course ?

jj97101
8th Jun 2012, 14:21
So after researching flight schools, I've decided to do a few trial glider flights in France when I go over there for the summer holidays, just to get a feel for flying, start studying some PPL books, I've already bought volume 1 of the Jeremy Pratt series. Then when I'm 16 I'll go over to England for a summer to the Skyline School of Flying to do my PPL because they seem to be a good school with very reasonable pricing.

Skyline school of flying: Skyline School of Flying (http://www.skyline.flyer.co.uk/)

If anyone has gone to the school, can you please tell me what it's like?

Thanks in advance.
JJ