PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth G-AOBX

New Bloke
11th Jan 2002, 14:51
On the 18th july 1981 I had 30 mins in bravo X-Ray.

Does anyone know where is she now? Is she still flying?

This could turn into "Friends reunited", all of us getting nostalgic about our old loves.

:)

No comment
11th Jan 2002, 16:54
Newbloke, why not? You could have a register of aircraft maybe that have "ceased to be" or are in a museam somewhere and then attach your names to them and natter about your experiences with that certain flying machine...

I'll start

G-COPY AA-5 Cheetah (written off at canterbury)

Took my first lesson in this one at Biggin Hill. Someone crashed it 3 months later. Left the engine running and blasted thing decided to run down a slope on its own, get 3 metres airborne and wrap itself round a tree and into a ravine. Cockpit slid shut leaving the finder of the aircraft bemused as to how there was noone inside (and presumably how it got there..)

poetpilot
11th Jan 2002, 17:05
You've got me going now!

WV753 Percival Pembroke. First ever plane I flew in. Last I heard it was in a museum in S Wales. I can still smell, feel and hear it now.... (aaaaah....)

TX227 Anson. Lucky to get a trip just a few weeks before they retired her. Crashed in Biafri flying mercy missions. (sob)

G-AOEL - Tiger Moth, got a memorable trip at Dunstable when she was a tug there. I think she survived to go to East Fortune as a museum exhibit.

XN246 Kirby Cadet Mk III glider - First solo. Where is she now? (probably ashes on a bonfire)

G-ATTI PA28 First powered solo from Elstree. Yes, I'll check it out on the CAA register when I get a mo but I think she's expired somewhere ......

CamelPilot
11th Jan 2002, 17:32
Talk about what goes around comes around!

At Leisure Sport in January 1977, as well as the 10 WW1 replicas, we had an S5 Seaplane and FIVE Tiger Moths. One of these was G-AOBX, which was alloted to me.

With the larger engine, it was ideal as lead aircraft in our formation aerobatic displays around the country. It was one of the best rigged Tiger's I ever flew and aeros it were a joy. Overall I accumulated over 51 hours in dear old 'BX'.

Thanks. This is what I always hoped this forum would do. Dig out old memories and remind a lot of people of their aviation past. It has for me and I am grateful.

poetpilot
11th Jan 2002, 18:27
Nope ! I flew her at 617GS at Bovingdon in 1968. As far as I recall, she stayed there and left with them to go to RAF Manston around 70-71 I think.

Nice to meet a fellow pilot of the old brick !! The MkIII had very little finesse in terms of flying qualities, but was reasonable fun solo (specially as I was a light little sprog at that time). I thermalled her once or twice too (& got admonished for it as I recall).

Does anyone remember a civvie instructor called Ken Young who instructed at Bovingdon, worked for BA (not as a pilot) and also flew from Booker? Bit of a bluff character, used to belt cadets round the ears from the tandem seat if they got things wrong. He told me once I'd never make a pilot. I'm glad he was wrong..... (though maybe I'm still not a pilot?) I recall once he beat up Bovingdon at VERY low level in a Bonanza out of Booker. Nearly took my head off.

New Bloke
11th Jan 2002, 20:10
No Comment,

Now You've got me going.

G-Copy, flew her quite a lot ion 1982 and 1983, also

GFANG
GJAZZ
GKILT
GPAWS and many others.

Camel Pilot, the Tiger Moth instructor was good old Don W who we have reminisced about before. I seem to remember he flew it in from Redhill for the day and basically did joy rides for his studes.

Edited to add more

[ 11 January 2002: Message edited by: New Bloke ]</p>

No comment
11th Jan 2002, 21:52
New Bloke:

Heres the (almost comical) AAIB report on COPY's demise...Suppose I'd better write a disclaimer - my apologies if this was any of you fellow PPRUNERS....
-----------------------

The pilot returned to the aircraft at about 1745 hrs for a return flight to its base at Biggin Hill Airport. The Battery Master Switch had been left on during the day and there was not enough charge left in the battery to start the aircraft. With the assistance of the airfield security guard, the engine was started using an external car battery. The pilot allowed the engine to run at 1,200 RPM for five minutes, then completed the engine power checks. A further five minute period at 1,200 RPM was then allowed before the radio and navigation aids were switched on. The displays were intermittent and unsatisfactory but the pilot elected to taxi for take off, reasoning that the displays would get better once the battery was fully charged. While taxying, all of the electrical services were lost completely.

The aircraft was returned to its parking position for a further 10 to 15 minute run up period in a further attempt to charge the battery. Whilst waiting during this period, the pilot remembered that he had not refitted the battery cover. Since he could not see it, he believed that it was in the possession of the security guard, who had by now returned to his caravan across the airfield. Not wishing to depart without the battery cover, for fear of criticism by the flying club instructors, the pilot elected to recover the missing cover but did not want to stop the engine because it would not restart.

The aircraft's brakes were holding and had done so during the power checks. The pilot therefore decided that his only chance was to leave the aircraft with the engine running and to run over to the caravan to retrieve the battery cover. He reasoned that he could be there and back within 90 seconds and vacated the aircraft. He found that the airfield security guard did not know the whereabouts of the battery cover. The pilot returned to the parking position but the aircraft had gone.

At this time, the airfield manager arrived at the scene and was informed that the aircraft had been stolen. He and the pilot circumnavigated the airfield by car in search of the aircraft but failed to locate the machine. The airfield manager informed the local police of the event, then suggested an aerial reconnaissance flight using his PA-28 aircraft. This was carried out, initially to cover the local area around the airfield, but found nothing. Upon returning to directly overhead the airfield, a steep turn was initiated in order to inspect the airfield boundaries. During this manoeuvre, the missing aircraft's tail was sighted in woods just to the north of the boundary.

Subsequent inspection indicated that the aircraft had started to move forward and turned left through almost 180°, running downhill before becoming airborne for a short distance and colliding with trees. It came to rest in a ditch and had incurred substantial damage. The aircraft's sliding canopy, which had been left open, had closed during the impact sequence. Luggage and flight equipment located in the rear of the aircraft had been thrown into the front.

The pilot stated that he realised the decision to leave the aircraft was misconceived, but that it was in a stable condition when he left it.

BeauMan
11th Jan 2002, 22:13
Chipmunk WB569 was guilty of taking me into the air for my first flight back in 1982, and I've been hooked ever since.

I spotted her in Hangar 2 north at Duxford a few months ago, she looked airworthy, so I decided there and then that if the right six numbers come up on Saturday night, she's mine!! :)

Stampe
12th Jan 2002, 13:15
Remember AOBX well at Rochester well in the late 60s early 70s when I was learning to fly together with her Universal Flying Services sistership AODS.They were both overall silver with green/black trimming.They were retained as their then replacement the fabulous and much underated Rollason Condor hadn,t yet been been cleared for spinning.Although they were the same price as the Condor it was virtually impossible to get an Instructor to take you in a tiger, such was the low regard they were held in!!.My salient memory of them was that one of the pair was always in the hangar being repaired from a crash,I remember the spectacular air race finish line crash of I think BX on one of the regular airshows.It was rare for both to be airworthy given the types propensity for accidents!!.Somethings have not changed!!.