PDA

View Full Version : China Southern

jabird
18th May 2012, 16:19
I note the big fan fair earlier this year when they announced a new route into LHR (from CAN), bucking the trend other Asian carriers had taken by adding routes at LGW.

Looks like this route isn't starting after all - even though AMS is going to daily (with obvious Skyteam connectivity).

So have they had slot issues like everyone else, or is there another reason?

Presumably if they are keen enough to come into London, they could still have used LGW, even if that wouldn't be their preferred option.

Skipness One Echo
18th May 2012, 17:30
Have they announced a cancellation? There were posters all over the Tube advertising this route.

canberra97
18th May 2012, 19:40
Flights don't seem bookable on their website although there is no mention of the route being cancelled in their news section even though it does state the increase in Amsterdam flights.

Wiki still has it down for a 6th June 2012 start although this looks very unlikey now under the circumstances although it would be another coup for LGW if the proposed flights did eventually operate from there!

jabird
18th May 2012, 22:50
Have they announced a cancellation? There were posters all over the Tube advertising this route.

It is very rare for airlines to announce route cancellations, unless they have someone else to blame and are looking for a bit more free publicity. MOL is an expert at this - pick a route that is selling less well than expected, and then roll the excuse dice - 1 = fuel prices, 2 = departure airport, 3 = arrival airport, 4 = APD, 5 = the weather, 6 = invent a new excuse.

Wiki still has it down for a 6th June 2012 start although this looks very unlikely now under the circumstances although it would be another coup for LGW if the proposed flights did eventually operate from there!

Wiki not as reliable on routes these days as it used to be, and even then it had its good and bad days. They still have a whole load of BER flights as starting in the first few days of June.

LGW has already had a good range of new Asian routes - I don't think it is that much kudos for them, just a simple case of sloppy seconds - unless they want to throw down the gauntlet and attract some existing routes from LHR that aren't mere slot jugglings. Anyway, that's for the LGW / London airspace debate!

I checked through CS media statements and couldn't find any mention of the route being launched in the first place.

Looks like a case of Chinese, err, silence.

On the water
20th May 2012, 05:03
CSA can't crew the A330's they have now let alone have enough for a new LHR route.

jabird
20th May 2012, 19:29
CSA can't crew the A330's they have now let alone have enough for a new LHR route.

In a land of 1bn+ people, they can't get the staff?

As said above, AMS is ramping up to daily. Has to be something to do with LHR or APD or something to do with the UK.

OK, it doesn't have to be at all, but it would be a logical explanation.

UKBA? Olympics?

davidjohnson6
20th May 2012, 19:54
jabird - China Southern is in Skyteam, and thus has a strong incentive to put an emphasis on Paris and Amsterdam. From memory, I think CHina Southern have been flying to Amsterdam for years and years, hence the frequency to Schipol. That bein said, one might expect some kind of flights to London, rather than just leaving it off the map entirely.

Skipness One Echo
20th May 2012, 20:21
CZ303 1525 CAN 3 5 7 A332
CZ304 2230 CAN 3 5 7 A332

Was the published Heathrow schedule, I don't think Gatwick has anything at all to the company not launching Heathrow, it seems more likely our tanking economy may have been the issue.

Skipness One Echo
10th Jun 2012, 23:11
As an update, seems to have started at LHR as planned.

jabird
11th Jun 2012, 14:08
Was the published Heathrow schedule, I don't think Gatwick has anything at all to the company not launching Heathrow, it seems more likely our tanking economy may have been the issue.

Our economy is not tanking. It is stagnating - but that isn't so sexy!

Whatever is happening in the UK, there is latent demand for connections with China - I think it is over-rated sometimes, but no doubt the demand is there.

CS might be a Star member, but there are still advantages to be gained from serving LHR, which it no seems they are indeed doing:)

Skipness One Echo
11th Jun 2012, 15:18
CS might be a Star member
Skyteam, hence they are using T4.

jabird
11th Jun 2012, 15:30
Sorry, slip of the keys!

Seljuk22
16th Jun 2012, 12:10
As an update, seems to have started at LHR as planned.China Southern Airlines Co.,Ltd (http://www.csair.com/en/news/2012/20120606.asp)

FlyingEagle21
16th Jun 2012, 12:47
Expect this to go 7 days a week. + new routes into LHR

Skipness One Echo
16th Jun 2012, 21:02
Not sure about that, China Eastern'a PVG-LHR is still not daily after being suspended and China Airlines just dropped LHR completely. Time will tell.

Fairdealfrank
17th Jun 2012, 00:16
LHR4-CAN

Good news indeed and not before time! Now we need BA/VS on the route, perhaps the other 4 days?

Quote: "Not sure about that, China Eastern'a PVG-LHR is still not daily after being suspended and China Airlines just dropped LHR completlely. Time will tell."

Indeed, and BA's LHR5-PVG is only 6 days/week.

jabird
18th Jun 2012, 13:37
Not sure about that, China Eastern'a PVG-LHR is still not daily after being suspended and China Airlines just dropped LHR completely. Time will tell.

Might I suggest that China is a slow burner, not full throttle as appearances might initially project?

Lots of people in all the above cities, but how many (a) actually have the need or the money for a European trip and (b) perceive Europe as better value than other places they can visit in domestic China or "near" (relative to them) Asia?

Most Europe - China routes are relatively thin, and fed by big conx traffic at atleast one end.

Are LHR & LGW really bursting at the seams to serve this market, or are current service levels actually about right to meet demand?

cavortingcheetah
7th Apr 2014, 06:07
Any feedback available please on flying business or economy class on this carrier inasmuch as from a pilot perspective first and a passenger one second?
Thank you.
AMS-SYD