PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing in Outlook

Genghis the Engineer
18th May 2012, 08:37
Does anybody have any wisdom on this:

I run my mail through MS Outlook 2007, which works fine. For what it's worth I also run AVG free anti-virus. I have it set not to send and receive automatically, only when I click "send and receive".

I've noticed that when I have one or more mails in my outbox, it initially says at the bottom of the screen "sending 1 of 2" (assuming there are two mails), then almost instantly changes to "sending 1 of 3".

It then sends and receives quite happily. But it does keep briefly saying that it's sending one more email than was there.

Afterwards my sentbox shows as sent the mails I'd had in the outbox; there's nothing new and unusual there. Nobody has complained at receiving any odd emails from me.

Is this just a funny glitch in the Outlook front end window, or is it doing something I should be worried out?

G

Milo Minderbinder
18th May 2012, 15:47
do you have an unsent mall stuck in your outbox?
If theres an old mail which keeps getting rejected (e.g. bad e-mail address maybe), it could be the cause of the symptom

Genghis the Engineer
18th May 2012, 22:04
Nothing in either outbox or drafts.

G

Tableview
18th May 2012, 22:11
It might be because it splits emails over a certain size into multiple parts. It will have a setting 'break apart messages larger than ......', so it might start off thinking it's 1 message, then realises it's bigger than the limit, so it changes it to 2.

Bushfiva
19th May 2012, 01:39
2007 (and everything since 2002, I think) can no longer split outgoing messages. It has a hard limit of 20MB (in 2010 anyway) on attachment size which can be adjusted in the registry.

I had a similar thing with Outlook always thinking it was sending at least 5 emails. That was read receipts which I never allow to be sent. Google can show a fix, but it's not particularly easy.

Mike6567
20th May 2012, 16:50
With Outlook 2007 and W7 sending normal e-mail messages nothing unusual.
However, when sending a picture right clicking on the pcture and sending to Mail recipient in Outlook it indicates "Sending message 6 of 6"
I have never worked this out but it doesn't seem to present any problems.

Mike-Bracknell
21st May 2012, 09:32
The "sending" side of things is not necessarily related to the number of emails you're sending, but the number of communication dialogues Outlook is having with the mailserver. If you're running AVG free, there's a mailscanner inherent in it which will try and sit between Outlook and the mailserver - hence the potential for puzzling status messages to be visible.

Genghis the Engineer
28th May 2012, 18:43
Thanks fellers - overall then, it seems I don't really need to worry. Which is good.

G