PDA

View Full Version : Charges with Codeshare Operator?

c2lass
17th May 2012, 20:35
I booked flights a couple of days ago on the website of the airline which I understand cannot be discussed on Pprune. My query is not about this airline but about the codeshare which is Flybe.

The flights are from ABZ-AUH via MAN. The flights from ABZ-MAN are operated by Flybe.

My question is this:

Do we have to pay for baggage in the hold with Flybe?

I can access the booking on Flybe website and it gives me an option to pay for seats at £6.50 each. I will not bother with that as will wait until we get to the airport but I am concerned if I now have to pay extra on both outbound and inbound for our bags?

Thanks

Tableview
17th May 2012, 20:46
If you are on a through ticket you should get the EY baggage allowance from ABZ to AUH. If you can view your ITR (E-ticket/Itinerary) it should show an amount in kgs. (20 or 23 or 30 depending on the fare level).

c2lass
17th May 2012, 21:03
Thanks, yes we are on a through ticket booked on the EY website. My e-ticket shows 23kg for ABZ-MAN and MAN-AUH?

However if I look at the booking on Flybe website it shows 0kg for ABZ-MAN and 20kg for MAN-AUH?

I have scoured all Flybe T&Cs and read all re baggage but cannot see anything re codeshare.

What I don't want to happen is to get to the airport and be hit with the higher charges?

Tableview
17th May 2012, 21:18
You've bought your ticket from EY and your contract is with them. If you have an EY ticket number (starting with 607) then their conditions apply end to end. Hopefully the Flybe staff at ABZ will know that, they certainly should.

c2lass
17th May 2012, 21:37
Thank you for your replies. My e-ticket does start with 607.

However what is worrying is I did phone EY MAN helpdesk earlier this evening and the girl said she had never been asked that query. She had to check with her supervisor and came back and told me that if the carrier charges then I would have to pay and I am bound by their weight rules as well (the weight rule of 20kg is not a problem for me).

However, when I view the booking on Flybe website, it gives me the option to select seats and if I click on that it adds £26 to the shopping basket. Then if I click add bags, it tells me bags have been added but the shopping bag amount stays at £26, then when I click continue (only doing this to try and get a total cost) it doesn't let me go any further and there is an error message at the top of the screen which reads "you cannot remove bags that have been added" :\

I will see if I can get a contact number for Flybe at ABZ tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

frontcheck
17th May 2012, 21:42
Most airlines use the "most significant carrier" rule which means the EY allowance will apply. If you go into excess then IATA charges apply.

Tableview
17th May 2012, 21:52
The Flybe website would be set up to assume that you are their customer and travelling on their terms and conditions. I agree though that what you're seeing is confusing in the extreme and I appreciate your concern. However you have a document issued by EY stating that your allowance on all sectors is 23kgs and that is what should prevail.

I would suggest emailing your query to EY and printing out their reply in case of a dispute at the airport. It seems that what the EY MAN girl told you is wrong.

L'aviateur
18th May 2012, 10:41
I flew on an Air France flight number operated by Flybe as a codeshare out of on CDG not so long back, and there was absolutely no problems with the baggage, in addition those of us on codeshare tickets got vouchers to get a drink onboard.

jersey145
18th May 2012, 11:28
HOLD BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE (Checked Baggage)

Scheduled Services

Economy Passengers are permitted 20kgs of checked baggage

Economy Plus Passengers are permitted 30kgs of Checked Baggage

A higher allowance may be permitted when the passenger is travelling on a through ticket with an international connection. In this instance the international baggage allowance should be allowed.

Passengers travelling on Scottish Highlands and Islands services may have a different allowance.

Basically as long as it is a through ticket you will not be charged for hold bags. Full info held at the BE ticket desk. However beware, on return, should your hand luggage not fit into the BE dimensions, you will likely be charged in MAN, and have the hand baggage placed in the hold on 'limited release'.

c2lass
18th May 2012, 12:04
Thanks very much for the replies which I really appreciate.

I phoned Flybe at 8am this morning. Waited 15 mins on hold before I spoke to someone :uhoh: however thanks to sayno0870 the call was free for me :D
She checked my eticket and said I should not be charged.

As Tableview suggested I want it in writing so have emailed both Flybe and EY, Mind you Flybe say they will take up to 28 days to respond in the auto response reply I received :(

Reading Flybe Facebook wall was a bit of an eye opener, all the complaints from people being hit with charges!

Espada III
18th May 2012, 13:46
The same happened to me with Flybe on an AF flight. Good seats, complementary drinks etc.

Tableview
18th May 2012, 14:03
Good. I really don't think you'll have a problem but I know how unsettling this type of uncertainty can be and the anticipation of a confrontation at the airport can really spoil a trip.

Please let us know how it goes!

frontcheck
18th May 2012, 14:15
No need to get it in writing as such. Your itinerary is sufficient and should have the baggage allowance shown, that is enough proof. :D

pppdrive
18th May 2012, 20:40
Through ticketing does not always mean that all carriers involved within that one ticket will accept the same baggage allowance. I travelled Heathrow-Auckland on Air New Zealand and returned Auckland-Beijing-Heathrow on Air New Zealand to Beijing and then British Airways. My ticket was an ANZ one and baggage allowance stated as 23kgs on ANZ sectors and 'see carrier' against the British Airways sector. My return from Auckland was with 2 hold baggage items weighing a total of 12kgs (yes, twelve) and they were tagged through to Heathrow. On checking in for the flight from Beijing, I was told that British Airways allowed only 1 bag and as I had 2, I was to pay the additional charge. After 'discussions' lasting over an hour, they finally permitted me to travel without any extra charge.

ExXB
19th May 2012, 05:28
From the discussion I don't think a code share is involved. I believe the OP has purchased an Interline ticket from an AUH airline that includes a sector on FlyBe.

In this circumstance each airlines T&Cs apply. However a careful reading will show that both of them apply IATAs " most significant carrier" rule which says that the baggage rules of the MSC applies to the Interline journey. So Air AUH's rule applies. IATA no longer fixes baggage charges, the MSC's charges apply.

In the event of a code share, your contract is with the coded airline, not the operating airline. This is not an industry rule, it is a basic tenant of contract law. Not all airlines like this, but it is the view of the judiciary in every jurisdiction that I know.

Not all airlines participate in the MSC, but most network airlines do.