PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Engineer+Pilot apprenticeship

Skyblade
17th May 2012, 15:32
Hi,
I am a mechanical engineer with 3 years of work experience. I have quit my job and have went ahead to pursue my dream of becoming a pilot. I am currently pursuing my CPL training in a flying school through my own earnings.

I would like to know if there are any opportunities to do an apprenticeship in a company where i can use my engineering background and experience and also build up my flying hours after i finish my CPL training?

Do such programs exist? I would like to build up my aviation knowledge and gain experience.:ok:

Skyblade
23rd May 2012, 15:32
so many views but no reply from anyone?

FokkerGirl
23rd May 2012, 15:40
So many views because people thought you were advertising an apprenticeship. Many of us would love to have some kind of apprenticeship, if anything.

Otherwise, that is just one more to join the queue of pilots with engineering degrees.

Though, I am sure that Ghengis the Engineer will come along with some excellent advice how you can combine the two later on once you have gained experience.

Skyblade
23rd May 2012, 15:49
Thanks for replying Fokker Girl
I want to build up my knowledge as i feel 200 hours of flying is not sufficient to sit in the RHS of an expensive jet which is carrying passengers.

redsnail
23rd May 2012, 21:19
Skyblade,
A hint. "Earth" is a bit vague. Can you narrow down where you are and what qualifications you have.

fescalised portion
24th May 2012, 03:55
When you say you are a mechanical engineer, do you mean an aircraft engineer ? If no, then what type of engineering are you experienced in ?

I began my career at Monarch Airlines as an apprentice back in the late 80's. I spent 18 years between Monarch and American at LHR as a technician, but always wanted to try flying....

So, I took 6 months unpaid from AA and got all of my FAA ratings up to CPL/ME/IR. I then flew for American Eagle for a year, which was a pretty miserable experience ! I left AE and went back to a maintenance position for 3 years working on corporate aircraft, this is where I finally got a lead to my current employer. I fly as a co-pilot / technician for a corporate operator in a Falcon. It is by far the best job that I have ever had, I get the best of both worlds in flying and maintaining aircraft and really enjoy it. This all came about by putting myself out there and being patient. It took some time to end up where I want to be, but I did a fair bit of networking and it paid off. My job was never advertised, I just met the right person at the right time. My maintenance background really sealed the deal for me. It is a very valuable qualification to have working for a small operator and I am very much appreciated by the people I work for, which is something that is hard to find these days.....

I don't know if you will find an "apprenticeship" that combines both flying and engineering, but as you have just read, you do have other options. Good luck in your hunt for a position. just remember this one word, NETWORK !

Skyblade
24th May 2012, 15:45
@redsnail
I am from india. I was working as a production & maintainence engineer in a manufacturing unit making corrugated cartons in my last job.

@fescalised portion

I have done engg in mechanical stream. Aircraft maintainence engg is a specific course. Mechanical engg is a broader discpline in which a person can further specialize in anything related to machines eg. automobiles, manufacturing etc.
I have experience in production and maintainence of machines.
Good to know that you finally got to sit in a cockpit. Keep flying!!