PDA

View Full Version : Systems and Airframes

thecoltster
11th Sep 2001, 16:31
I'm just about to sit this subject, anybodygot any good pointers on areas of the (huge) syllabus to pin my sanity to, and those areas to not really bothering about, (and before anyone says it - I know all areas are questionable!-past papers tell another story though!)
I hear oxygen, pressuriastion and safety procedures are a big part of the exam-any other ideas?
Also if anyone has any ideas about how to approach the:Performance
Rad Nav
Ops proc
Flight Planning

...I'd be most grateful,
Cheers

THE COLTSTER

Mister Geezer
13th Sep 2001, 22:39
Hi ya

I sat the techs in early September... only a few weeks ago now.

What did I think of the exam.... terrible!

I am not trying to exaggerate or make a storm in a tea cup. Others on my course who are bright and can walk these exams said that they thought that the paper was tough! I would put money on it that I have got far below 75%!!!!! I am sure the CAA are reading this and rubbing their hands with glee. :) :) :) Looks as if I will need to fork out for a re-sits! I don't even want to know what my results are.

One thing I would advise is on the topics like Fuel Systems and Gear for example don't just think that since they are small topics in the notes they will not grill you on them! Questions I can remember that they put in on the above subjects were what was a Torsion link and on the fuel side of things they started talking about Surge boxes in tanks. Two questions along with a few others that stumped a few people I know.

Know Emergencies well...... very well. Get a copy if you don't already have one (should be in your ATPL notes) of JAR Subpart K. Know all the tables of figures on that. e.g. number of Fire extinguishers on board when you have XXX passengers on board and Number of life-rafts that are required on board. Things like that that you might over look. I am emphasising this topic quite strongly because a lot of the emergency questions were worth 2 marks for recalling facts that were in Subpart K.

Know your Air-conditioning and Pressurisation inside out and also don't forget the little things like the Max Cabin Diff permitted for airline aircraft. Little facts that can be easily overlooked when you focus on the more demanding areas of the topic.

Electrics was demanding but in the September paper there was only 2 questions on Radio Propagation. And they were very straightforward.

I hope that is of some use for you. A few people who have sat the Systems papers over the last few months felt that the exams was tough and to a lot of peoples surprise they actually passed so whether they take out the dodgy questions, well that is up for us to guess.

Well all the best and hope this info helps.

MG

thecoltster
17th Sep 2001, 00:18
Thanks alot for the advice,

2weeks to go before I'm filling in those boxes and still aot of work to do!
Subpart K is making good bedtime/toilet reading material as is the areas you emphasised, I'm counting on knowing those inside out so as I can be "slightly weaker" on the other less likely/lower mark questions, which incidiently was a trick/tactic that worked well for me in General Nav!!-(which I guess you'll soon be taking having just sat the Tech's) I mainly knew the CRP 5 like the back of my hand which got me the high mark questions to get me the pass, they were all 2-3 markers they were plentiful too, advice that may help you in return?!
Best of luck with your results and
Thanks a great deal for your help,

THECOLT

LGL737
17th Sep 2001, 01:18
Watch out for electrics, there have been so many especially about AC, in the exam I sat...one of the guys (did'nt count them myself) counted the number of electrics questions to be 25 points of the exam, make sure you know all about generators, busbars etc.

rgds
LGL

thecoltster
18th Sep 2001, 03:18
Nice one thanks,

I'm slogging away at electrix revision now, anyone know any areas worth ignoring? dare anyone say! Being such a huge subject i am trying not too have a little knowledge about lots of things, rather lots of knowledge about the areas that keep coming up, it's worked well on my other subjects! Any other ideas?...How much attention should I be paying to engines?

[ 17 September 2001: Message edited by: thecoltster ]