PDA

View Full Version : BA LGW to PFO route aircraft

Truck2005
17th May 2012, 08:23
I am flying out to Paphos in June with BA. I have heard that the aircraft type will be a 737-400! I am an aircraft tradesman and so am aware that this particular 737 model must be just about at it's max flying hours. I am very surprised that BA are operating such an old aircraft still.

I have spoken to various crew members that I know, (that work for other airlines), and they are surprised as well.

Anyone here know if this is so?

Hotel Tango
17th May 2012, 09:03
Dear Truck2005,

The age of the a/c is not important. There are still B737-200 series a/c flying around Canada which are almost twice as old (and which I have flown on quite happily). It comes down to flight cycles and good maintenance. Since it's BA you can rest assured that the a/c is well maintained and fully airworthy. I might be a little more concerned if it was some cowboy African or Asian airline, but that would apply to aircraft of any age that they operate! The first BA B737-400 was built in 1991. last week I flew without hesitation on a Lufthansa B737-500 which was built in 1990.

Truck2005
17th May 2012, 11:57
Thanks or your reply.

I was not too bothered about the age of the frame as I have just recently left maintaining the VC10 after 10 years so I am happy with well maintained aircraft it was more so because as this is our final flight to Cyprus, (we are moving there), I have booked Club for my wife and I. I have flown club on 757 etc and was happy with the service. I only hope the same good service is available on this run on an older jet.

Hotel Tango
17th May 2012, 12:24
I don't believe that Club Class service would be any different to that of any other type of a/c on European routes. Of course, as I'm sure you know, Club Class within Europe should not be compared to Club Class on long haul continental routes.

Have a look at this:

British Airways B737-400 Club Europe - Business Traveller (http://seatplans-asia.businesstraveller.com/airlines/british-airways/seatplan-classes/B-737-Club-Europe)

I hope you and your wife enjoy your flight.