PDA

View Full Version : Helpful suggestions wanted!

17th May 2012, 07:59
G'day all, I am finishing off my cpl training and have had to use a new training facility as my original school closed down; I had a flight today with my new instructor who has apparently had a 3 month break and just returned. Whilst flying today we did some VOR & NDB intercepts which were going along fine until the instructor told me I was doing them wrong (incorrect intercept angle), I checked my maths and figured I was spot on and the needle agreed with me but when I said that to the instructor he said " oh yeah....I was just tricking you".
Now I don't want to undermine him but I swear to god he was totally lost and didn't want to lose face, we also had a disagreement in regards to our location which he also claimed to be "trying to confuse me".
So my question is should I be worried? I have never had an instructor try to "trick or confuse" me before and I don't have a great deal of confidence in him, to make it worse he is the only instructor within my local area.

Any suggestions appreciated

j3pipercub
17th May 2012, 08:10
You're the client, always remember that. Just state you will not be flying with him.

Jack Ranga
17th May 2012, 08:21
If he's trying to trick and confuse you he's a feckwit, those methods went out with the dark ages.

If he's lost and trying to cover his tracks, he's a feckwit.

Do yourself a favour, go elsewhere.

Aimpoint
17th May 2012, 08:57
Good instructors admit if they screw up.

However, navaid intercepts are one of the most poorly understood items instructors teach.

He may have been having a bad day. If the same behaviors pop up on a second flight I'd be going with the above suggestion.

VH-XXX
17th May 2012, 09:06
Talk to him and tell him you are not interested in being tricked as part of your training. It sounds like he was lost to be honest, especially to do it twice. One might be funny but not twice.

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th May 2012, 09:47
A range of advice given here.

Personally, I have NEVER flown more than once with an instructor in whom I did not have COMPLETE confidence!

Dr :8

17th May 2012, 22:18
Thanks all, I appreciate your thoughts.
I guess I'll take Aimpoint's advice first and see how a second flight goes and if there's no improvement....I'll be driving an hour and a half to another school!
Thanks again