View Full Version : What is the best ATPL course?

bow5
1st Jun 2001, 15:08
I am now in the position where I can look for the best school and/or course to get my ATPL.

From experience and from people who have been, where do you suggest?

I know about OAT and Cabair and am going to seminars at both of those. I have also been to look around the Pilot Assist College which I was impressed with.

Are there any others in the UK and if so, are they better or worse then the aforementioned. What about an integrated course as opposed to modular?

Thanks in advance.

little red train
2nd Jun 2001, 05:55
Went to Cabair, Paid extra to brush-up at OATS, says something. Best aviod anyone using four forces notes; tripe in a ring-binder

fibod
5th Jun 2001, 22:00
I’ll lay out my cards – I work at OATS, I’ve worked elsewhere and I have friends who work in other schools. This is my opinion:

Modular is cheaper, gets you a licence, but is still regarded by some employers as second best to integrated. If you can afford it, and want to maximise the chances of being hired straight out of training, go integrated.

There are several schools and many more opinions. When comparing them, ask these questions:

 What does the course include? How many hours on what types? How are the hours logged (some will charge you for too much time on the ground). E.g., OATS and WMU have much more twin hours than the others.
 What are the pass rates? Groundschool and flying. Ask the schools and make sure they tell you whether they are talking modular or integrated and referring to JAA not CAA results.
 How will they help you get a job? We were much criticised for not using our influence (as the largest school with the contacts). But now we have an excellent system for referring graduates. The other schools may promise a lot (our error in the past), but ask them exactly how they deliver those promises and evidence of results.
 How many students do they have enrolled at the moment? Which airlines are they sponsored by? It’s very telling.

The questions you have asked have been asked here many times before, but it is worth asking them again, as things change. A year ago I wouldn’t be recommending my employer. Now, I have no hesitation.

When you get responses here, good or bad, ask if the correspondent is basing their opinion on recent knowledge and how it was arrived at. Above all, bear in mind the red warning at the bottom of the page!

Best of luck