PDA

View Full Version : Kindle wireless setup

Groundbased
15th May 2012, 13:12
I bought a Kindle for my wife. Great, she loves it.

Pre Kindle my wireless router (Netgear) was set up to use MAC address access control. Now I can see the Kindle as an available device when I am on the access control list, but it won't add it to the list of trusted devices even when I manually type in the MAC address.

So currently MAC address access control is switched off and I'm a bit twitchy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Milo Minderbinder
15th May 2012, 14:46
MAC address control is a waste of time. If I wanted access to your network it would take me about five minutes to pull down the MAC addresses of the machines on your network (even if I'm not logged into your network) with my mobile phone, and then change the MAC address of my PC in software to match one of them
Just make sure you have good WPA2 encryption. Thats the best you can do. And try to make sure your network name doesn't give away whose network it is...

EEngr
15th May 2012, 15:28
Best network name: Network not accessible

or something to that effect.;)

OFSO
16th May 2012, 09:53
Not really, EENgr, that sort of name just encourages some people to hack it. I know, despicable isn't it.

We have so many free hotspots here provided by the town hall that I mimic their names with an almost-but-not-quite duplicate, when people can't get in at first attempt (or second or third) they just move on to one of the others.

I hope.

Milo Minderbinder
16th May 2012, 10:51
bypassing MAC address filtering on a MAC
Can also be done with windows PCs

Bypassing MAC address filtering/access control lists - YouTube

Keef
16th May 2012, 21:55
Playing games with the network name doesn't for a moment faze an experienced hacker. If you live in an area where they are rampant, then WPA2 is the best you can do.

To hack my network, you'd need to be in my garden anyway. I still have WPA2, because old habits die hard.

Saab Dastard
16th May 2012, 22:31
MAC address filtering on its own is useless, but I still think it has a place just as an extra layer of annoyance to a would-be hacker. Like discouraging burglars, anything that makes it just that bit more difficult and time consuming to break into than your neighbours' is likely to make "them" try elsewhere.

SD

hellsbrink
17th May 2012, 06:12
No need for anything extra over WPA2 (the default on the router from our provider), especially as there are two unprotected wifi's (the default on the other main provider in Belgium) within range of my house, one out the front and one out back, which they will use anyway.

Capn Bloggs
22nd May 2012, 02:53
MAC address control is a waste of time.
For hackers, fair enough, but I use it to control family/friend laptop access (and website access from said laptops, together with OpenDNS [thanks for the tip from the other thread]). That is, until the kids become more tech-savvy than me! :{