PDA

View Full Version : Carroll Shelby RIP

gupta
15th May 2012, 02:46
Surprised no-one else has mentioned this

Carroll Shelby died on Thursday 10 March 2012 aged 89

If you're not moved (even secretly) by the Cobra family, there's not much techhead spirit in you

AC Cobra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra)

Warning: Aviation content follows

He was also a Flight Instructor and Test Pilot in WW2

Earl
15th May 2012, 03:00
He sure was a legend in his own time.
Ford motor Company owes a lot to this man and he surely will be missed.
Was always a chevy man myself but had high respect for this one.

SpringHeeledJack
15th May 2012, 07:24
It always makes my adrenaline kick in when a genuine 427 AC Cobra guns it's engine close by, a real muscle car :ok:

SHJ

Victor Inox
15th May 2012, 07:48
Great guy. Showed the world you don't need an arty-farty approach to engineering to make the fastest cars on race tracks. The Ford GT40 springs to mind - a true Ferrari killer at Le Mans.

Lon More
15th May 2012, 11:42
There ain't no substitute for cubic inches!

G-CPTN
15th May 2012, 12:40
There ain't no substitute for cubic inches!
Indeed, and when you consider the current 'big' engines that are available.it's surprising that nobody (?) has repeated Shelby's 'trick' by shoe-horning one into a suitable small chassis.

I suppose that the trend for dropping Cummins truck engines into Dodge pick-up trucks in the US is as far as the current trend stretches - unless you know different?

What is the largest-capacity / highest output 'stock' engine out there? Bugatti Veyron?

Would a W16 fit in a Golf?

RJM
15th May 2012, 13:29
Brilliant engineer and salesman. Supposedly, Shelby's company only had one Cobra when they released it. Between reviews by Car and Driver and other magazines, Shelby quickly repainted the car for the next review and shoot, giving the impression that there were a lot of cars ready for the market. The orders rolled in.

Lon More
15th May 2012, 21:01
it's surprising that nobody (?) has repeated Shelby's 'trick' by shoe-horning one into a suitable small chassis.
My Dad had a Savage Cortina (http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_ford_cortina_mk2_savage.htm); a mate of mine put a MG twin-cam engine into a Morris Minor (not a success - the balance was all wrong unless there was about 5 cwt. of cement in sacks in the back) Somewhere I have an article about putting small block Chevy engines into a Frogeye Sprite and a Lotus 7, definitely too fast to race (at least in a straight line).

This Lancia (http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=54324) has to be the ultimate U "sleeper" and possibly the most scary ride I've had in my life - even worse than my ex Brother in law giving me a lift in his rally 911

You mentioned a W16 in a Golf. About 30 years ago Artz (http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=23225) built one with a 928 Porsche engine in it IIRC "Motor" or "Autocar" did a road test

I want one!!!

visibility3miles
15th May 2012, 21:53
A car happy teenage friend practically worshiped the Shelby Cobra although he never owned one.

Shelby was like a kid in a candy store, except he made his dreams come true.

ShyTorque
15th May 2012, 22:40
He was, I believe, indirectly responsible for the 70 mph limit on UK motorways.

Lon More
15th May 2012, 23:25
indirectly responsible for the 70 mph limit on UK motorways.

IIRC that was due to Aston Martins on test runs from the factory up and down the M1

ShyTorque
15th May 2012, 23:33
An AC ran at an alleged 185 mph on the M1 in 1964.....caused a bit of a stir in the press at the time.

Here's a link to one version of the story:

AC Cobra 427 : the Car that Forced UK to Create Their Highway Speed Limit - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com (http://voices.yahoo.com/ac-cobra-427-car-forced-uk-create-their-4692191.html)

spekesoftly
16th May 2012, 00:39
The real story from Jack Sears
(http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=11841)

unstable load
19th May 2012, 07:40
That is sad, I had no idea.
Rest in Peace, Sir!

spekesoftly
28th May 2012, 11:34
I missed this on Sunday, but it's repeated tonight (Monday 28/05/2012) at 23:25 BST on BBC4.

Cobra Ferrari Wars - Profile of the Texan racing driver who died earlier this month. He spent three years designing and creating the famed Shelby Cobra, a car that would take on the might of Ferrari and win at Le Mans in 1959.

Source - RT

MadsDad
28th May 2012, 11:53
Thanks for that Speke.

I recorded it but a mate missed and doesn't do well at iPlayer (bad broadband speed). I just called him to let him know it's on and he sends his profound thanks.

RJM
28th May 2012, 13:27
spekesoftly...

Cobra Ferrari Wars - Profile of the Texan racing driver who died earlier this month. He spent three years designing and creating the famed Shelby Cobra, a car that would take on the might of Ferrari and win at Le Mans in 1959.

Someone's got the wrong end of the stick here. Carroll Shelby won Le Mans in 1959, driving a works Aston Martin. Another Aston Martin came second followed by four non-works Ferraris. Neither of the factory Ferraris finished.

In 1964, Ferrari came 1st, 2nd and 3rd, including two works cars. Shelby-American Inc's lone 4.7 litre Cobra Daytona was fourth.

In 1966, Shelby American's two 7 litre Ford GT40 MkIIs finished 1st and 2nd, with another GT40 3rd. Again, both factory Ferraris were DNF.

In 1967, Shelby American Ford GT40 MkIVs came 1st and 4th, with a factory Ferrari 2nd and another Ferrari 3rd.

In 1968 and again in 1969 an 'old' GT40 Mk1 won Le Mans, and then in 1970 came the Porsches...

MadsDad
28th May 2012, 15:50
RJM, I think the program was referring to the class battle in the Production Sports class - Shelby was running in class against the production Ferrari GTOs, not the prototype Ferrari 275s and 330s (the program continually referred to the 250s and didn't mention any of the others, confusingly I thought).

spekesoftly
28th May 2012, 16:09
RJM and MadsDad,

Thank you both for the correction.

I really should know better than to quote the RT without first checking the facts !

RJM
28th May 2012, 21:25
MadsDad, Shelby did fight Ferrari for the outright win, but only briefly with the Cobra and not in 1959, so the RT description is factually incorrect. The famous battle was between Shelby's Ford-sponsored Ford GT40s and Ferrari.

The Ferrari 250s were all in the 3 litre GT class, while the Cobras were in the +3 litre GT class, as were all the GT40s.

The first Cobras showed up in 1963 - one entered by AC Cars and the other a private US entry.

Those were the days when a wealthy individual could actually buy and with a few mates race a sports car on the international circuit.

Even in Formula 1 in the early 1960's, Swiss bus company owner Jo Siffert ran his own car, a Lotus 24. The car is said to have spent the off-season mounted on the wall in Siffert's office. Siffert was probably the last private owner/driver in F1. (Brabham was a more complex case)

Effluent Man
30th May 2012, 18:45
I also had a Cortina Savage.bought it off a Lightning pilot at RAF Coltishall in 1973.