PDA

View Full Version : EPC Healthcare Plan - Aetna

kingpost
14th May 2012, 22:18
Gents

What's your opinion on the latest initiative from EPC regarding the medical?

Personally, I think it's a great idea but I find it a tad expensive to cover my wife and I. I feel it would be better to have some sort of plan that places one within a medical system so that we can top up later on when we need the full spectrum of services.

Your thoughts?

helen-damnation
15th May 2012, 02:49
****ingly

The answers in the name! That's one of the biggest loads of crap I've read on here in a long time. By your own admission you haven't bothered to check it, but you're happy to 'diss it all the same.

I'm not EPC minded, but I did attend one of the meetings and you are so wide of the mark it's frightening. For starters, you CAN stay in the EPC after you leave the company and therefore continue the AETNA cover. Someone with all the details to hand will hopefully correct you, but I hope your professional abilities beat your wind-up attempt.

Kittty125
15th May 2012, 05:50
Speaking as someone with a lot of experience dealing with our Company's Medical Benefits, I would recommend that you treat SI's post with some healthy scepticism. In fact, you should probably ignore it completely. The EK money is simply not enough to cover some illnesses - cancer for one. You'll burn through the cash in no time.

I'm not saying that the EPC deal is fantastic but it's not that pricey compared to some on the market and it is transportable. I would recommend that you invest in some top-up medical insurance (particularly for your family - their cover is minuscule), just in case...

BigGeordie
15th May 2012, 07:29
Can anybody point me in the direction of the details for the Aetna scheme. You don't have to post them on here, but I couldn't get to any of the information sessions and am curious. I'm also cynical of any financial/insurance scheme in Dubai but unlike our sitting friend I'd like all the facts before I make my mind up.

Hook
15th May 2012, 07:47
Big Geordie,
There is a link visible as soon as you log on to the EPC site.

I attended one of the meetings. The scheme is actually quite well priced.
The people who are running this were quite honest saying that the scheme is not designed to cover everyday issues and they would still expect EK clinic etc. to cover those. The scheme is designed to cover major medical problems which would be beyond the cover of our EK insurance, which has very poor cover limits especially for family.

The scheme can be continued if you remain an EPC member after leaving EK

Sitting Idly, man, you're f###### stupid.

Silky
15th May 2012, 09:02
Am also very keen on the cover...Ek coverage is very limited just ask any of our guys who have had any form of cancer scares! Emirates under writes its own medical coverge hence the millions of exclusions and limitations being placed in by accountants.

Anyone got a rough cost for family with 3 kids? Obviously not enough days off to be able to go to the info evenings.

Silky

kingpost
15th May 2012, 11:00
I was away when they did their marketing to EPC but if it's a top up scheme, which I'm all for and something that will be available after EK, why are the rates so steep at this present point in time, for 2, it will cost in excess of AED7k p.m!

Is there not a system where you can start contributing for limited cover (as EK will cover you whilst in their employ) and because you're in the Aenta system you have the opportunity to change the plan when you need it most and then play for what you're getting!

kingpost
15th May 2012, 11:01
Silky

A rough cost with 3 kids will set you back way over AED10k - does that sound like value to you?

Wizofoz
15th May 2012, 12:22
kingpost-

Per month or per year?

I haven't checked into it yet but was told about US3K/Year for a family with two kids.

glofish
15th May 2012, 12:32
As i recall it's US1100 for an adult, half for kids.

If you want to cover the USA, it's 1900 per adult.

Family with 2 kids and the USA coverage comes to US 5700/pa.

Not cheap, but maybe worth while.

Kittty125
15th May 2012, 12:32
King - I'm not sure where you got your figures from chap.

Aetna are quoting $1098 per adult (if under 65) and $549 for children. This excludes cover in the US which you can get for an extra premium. The figures are per year which means your missus is covered for less than AED350 per month. Peanuts for peace of mind if you ask me. Not that you did...

Silky
15th May 2012, 12:52
That sounds fair... Considering what a night in the american hospital costs!

Dropp the Pilot
15th May 2012, 12:55
Very highly-regarded with a long track record. Good website makes all things clear plus you can online chat with their staff for queries. Caution: depending how long you've been in Dubai you may weep once you begin talking to their online staff - encountering someone who can pleasantly, confidently and accurately field your queries can be a bit of a shock.

I enrolled the wife and kids last year and I can't quote from memory but it seemed very reasonable.

kingpost
15th May 2012, 15:00
Kitty

Thank you for the information, I was informed it was per month - that's why I asked on the forum.

If it's per annum then I can't see no reason why not to go ahead at that price.

Thank you

Not from here
16th May 2012, 01:22
Aetna did not approach the EPC, the EPC, with the Help of Colmount (Insurance Broker)set the scheme up. Aetna won the tender process which has taken 2 years to get to the stage it is now.
EPC looked to build a scheme that would supplement the current EK scheme and fill the gaps and provide coverage, when you leave Dubai, this is an infinity scheme, which is common in the rest of the world, but new to the ME
As far as the USA is concerned it is the Law of the land that as a US citizen resident in the US you must have a locally based Medical coverage , in fact it must be in the same state you are living!!!!
This is not the case if you live anywhere other then the US and when you leave you can remain a member of the EPC and be covered by the scheme.
If you are such an expert whey not come to one of the next 2 presentations and voice your concerns maybe you could learn something, or at least pass on your vast knowledge of Aetna and medical coverage.
While the EK scheme is good it has exclusions and is not transportable the EPC scheme is supplemental and is there to help in these areas.
This is not a scam and the members of the scheme own it.

three eighty
16th May 2012, 04:59
Sttingidly
Perhaps if you bothered to attend one of the info sessions you could then engage brain before opening mouth.

The gentleman giving the presentation answers ALL questions asked.

Off course the insurance company backing the scheme is out to make a profit, why else would they be doing it? Profit target for the insurance company were provided at the presentation. I think the figure was 30%. If the claims eat into that 30% profit, then rates will increase. No different from any other form of insurance. Yes there are ceilings to claims and yes there are exclusions. No surprises there.
Its an insurance you are purchasing - no more, no less. Either it works for you or it doesn't.
Hardly the cloaked scheming money grabbing underhanded scam you make it out to be.

What can't be argued is that more and more EK pilots are discovering that they are out of pocket having had claims rejected by the clinic.

As to the original question posted here, I think its a scheme worth considering. I haven't made up my mind yet but will probably sign up for it.
If at any stage I decide I'm not happy I'll leave.

spanishfly69
16th May 2012, 05:59
When are the next info sessions?

three eighty
16th May 2012, 07:17
When are the next info sessions?

I don't know if they have dates and venues yet so best to check the EPC website or call them.

White Knight
17th May 2012, 02:31
I truly believe that the entire insurance industry is a sanctioned scam operation.

You really are a fruitcake SI... I take it then that you also think motor insurance, house and contents insurance etc are all bad things? Well, don't take any out and then see what happens when you drive into someone, maybe maiming or killing them. Or have your home flooded!

There simply shouldn't be a need for such an industry in a just and civil world.

You're right there SI. But the world isn't just or civilised and I sadly doubt that it ever will be... Especially with stupid judiciary awarding stupid sums to stupid people who do things like spill hot coffee on themselves and then sue the coffee company! In the meantime - keep hugging the trees and saving the seals:}

Dropp the Pilot
18th May 2012, 10:24
Having heard several stories about family members at EK reaching the limits of their company-provided medical insurance I bought outside medical insurance for my family last year.

I had not considered buying it for myself as I observed other EK pilots receiving expensive treatments, in some cases stretching over years, all paid for by the company.

Do I understand that Aetna is now suggesting that we pilots are also gravely exposed to shortcomings in the company-provided medical insurance? Would anyone have personal or anecdotal evidence of that?

I would be pleased to hear, PM if you like.

Easy8
18th May 2012, 12:36
Several more information nights have been announced. The best plan is to:

get online and look through the HR manual so you know what you're talking about when you speak up.
Take an hour out of your time to go and ask your questions to the people who started the scheme.
Some of the posts here make sense but some in particular are filled with utter garbage and are poisoning the process for the more level-headed.

This is an insurance scheme to cover the gaps in the coverage you already have, for your family and also for you if your ailment is of a lengthy nature or you end up leaving.

Rather than listen to the rantings of someone who should not be let out without supervision, speak directly to the experts and make up your own mind.

It is a fact that some people have been left to carry their own quite-significant expenses once the limitations of the provided cover have been reached. Some of these bona fide people have spoken at the information nights.

Easy Ryder
6th Jun 2012, 06:53
If the scheme is so advantageous for us, why are they closing registration (June 12) since the minimum 500 required has been met.

I don't quite get that.:confused:

RFusmoke
6th Jun 2012, 15:34
I have just perused the Employee Handbook with regard to the medical insurance for Employee and Family in Dubai(outpatient treatment in UAE).

Under Limits to the scheme it states Medical cover is Unlimited but subject to limited no of physio/psychiatric treatment and orthotics(limited to 2000 aed)

Has this all changed or I am I missing something....I know its the original handbook and there are amendments on Groupworld but none to the extent of we have very limited cover as quoted above???If so can someone point them out out to me ????

The Aethna policy has many similar and sometimes more restrictive exempts to their policy.

I understand the benefit of having this available for when you leave but otherwise don t see any major adv ......I could nt make the info nights so any enlightenment on the above appreciated!

Trader
6th Jun 2012, 18:11
They needed 500 as a minimum to go ahead with the plan. They will take more than 500 but the closing date is set. And there is a reason for that---any EPC member will be able to opt in once per year (June 1st). The intent being that a non member who suddenly finds they have a need for medical insurance is not able to opt in ie) find out you need surgery and then buy in to have it covered.

Nothing shady or underhanded about it.

Easy Ryder
7th Jun 2012, 10:25
Thanks Trader,

Ok so would you say it's more benificial for our other halves and kids, rather than ourselves?

Trader
7th Jun 2012, 11:05
I think it is. EK tends to treat the pilots fairly well (though I have personally heard of a few cases where they were difficult) but I have seen too many cases where they have left families struggling.

For me the cost is worth it- you hope you never use it, but if you need it it is there. Health care is one area that I refuse to compromise on.

Easy Ryder
7th Jun 2012, 11:15
Thanks again Trader :ok: