PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe "Last edited tag" .. Most Annoying!

Savoia
14th May 2012, 07:06
Has anyone noticed how the edit strap at the bottom of a post now appears if you do anything other than submit a perfect post?

Previously there was a 5 minute grace period during which you could make several edits without the 'Last edited by ...' tag appearing.

I always use the 'Preview Post' feature prior to posting but, invariably, once you've posted and re-read the submission there are one or more changes (in a reasonable length post) which need to be made - just Murphy's Law in action.

Why has the 5 minute editing period been abolished?

Tableview
14th May 2012, 07:13
Glad to know it's not my imagination then!

green granite
14th May 2012, 09:17
I'm sure there must be a reason in some admin's mind but I can't think of one at the moment, unless it's something to do with the 'bot problem'. I'm sure Sabb will be along to tell us why when he's found out.

probes
14th May 2012, 10:03
yep, that IS a bit confusing. To be PC.
Could make everyone more careful about spelling, though? :E

green granite
14th May 2012, 10:53
It's not so much the spelling Probes, it's about the missed coma or apostrophe and correcting it before the grammar police pounce. :rolleyes:

lomapaseo
14th May 2012, 15:02
Wow that really is goig to hurt us dulexics

Loose rivets
14th May 2012, 15:55
I hate it, and have started a war against the change. (that'll learn 'em!)

Us dyslexics find the big screen much better for editing, and that grace period allowed us to pop back and tidy up. Having that pointless message stuck right up against our text is eye-distracting, much in the same way as those cute little . . . Oh, hush my mouth.
.:p

BrandiNettIB
14th May 2012, 17:51
We're not sure about the reason for such a change. It may indeed have to do with bot detection. We are discussing and will update here when we figure out what's going on.

probes
14th May 2012, 17:56
Sounds good!

Also, gg, if it's a missed coma, then it's not so bad, I guess... :E
ok, seriously, I did get your message and I agree and I make typos etc myself, too.

FullOppositeRudder
23rd May 2012, 02:03
Whilst I'm not in favour of the change, I'm almost pleased to discover that I'm not the only one who discovers mistakes in carefully crafted prose after "Submit Reply" button is pushed. ;)

Worrals in the wilds
23rd May 2012, 04:17
Whilst I'm not in favour of the change, I'm almost pleased to discover that I'm not the only one who discovers mistakes in carefully crafted prose after "Submit Reply" button is pushed. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif
Same. I thought it was just me. :O

RadioSaigon
23rd May 2012, 06:40
Just another of those really minor things, I reckon... not even enough to get the irrits about :E

One possible benefit... you can see at a glance whether or not the post was last edited by the OP!

BrandiNettIB
23rd May 2012, 17:48
Alright, we've figured out what's going on. The short editing time is an anti-spammer measure; what a lot of the recent spammers are doing are leaving legitimate-looking posts (thus escaping our various spam filters), and then editing the posts to include spam links. (Our spam filters don't seem to catch content after it's been edited.)

Spammer activity seems to have abated significantly after shortening the edit time, though we don't know if it's direct cause-and-effect. So we are keeping the short edit time in place for now so that we can track results over time.

Mac the Knife
23rd May 2012, 17:55
Yes, its annoying.

I do preview my posts, but there is always as you say in French "l'esprit d'escalier"!

Mac :ok:

qv....

green granite
23rd May 2012, 20:15
Thanks for the info CleeIB, looks like we're stuck with it for awhile then.

FullOppositeRudder
23rd May 2012, 23:21
Yes, thank you CleeIB.

There is a lot of activity behind the scenes that we don't see. The work of those people who keep the forums running smoothly and safely is very much appreciated by the end users. :D

finfly1
25th May 2012, 01:16
Concur. One has only to spend a little time on a forum which is unedited or poorly so to appreciate the unpaid effort expended here.

Lon More
25th May 2012, 01:47
So we are keeping the short edit time in place measured in nano-seconds it seems.

Thanks for the info anyway. It is your train set.