PDA

View Full Version : souveniers

knobbygb
10th Feb 2002, 09:03
Anyone know what happens to the documentation regarding a specific aircraft (airliner) once it has been withdrawn from use and disposed of? For example, I beleive that airframe and powerplant log books have to be retained for 2 years after the aircraft/engine ceases to be. this correct?

If so, after this time, are they just destroyed or can they be obtained as souveniers? I was reading an article in 'Airliners' about the Convair 880's stored in the desert and read that all the 'documentation' was destroyed when the aircraft were. Seems a shame.

I'd be really interested in getting hold of the history of an aircraft, particularly one I've flown on a few times. I'm the kind of sad geek that'd probably enjoy reading through their history - where they've flown and when, what problems they had etc. - especially if I could pinpoint flights I'd been on!

Am I even correct in thinking that a paper log is kept of each flight or is it all electronic these days? Would the information be considered private by the airline? Are they allowed to keep it 'company proprietary' or does it go with the aircraft when they sell it? Are these items available at collectors fairs etc.?

Thanks for any help you can give - if it's been covered somewhere before a link would be nice. Ta.