PDA

View Full Version : Spotters at SYD on Saturday

Critical Reynolds No
13th May 2012, 22:53
Saw this mob on Saturday. Was going to ask on here what new arrival was coming in that would demand so much attention.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5464/7181524074_355cba8cf3_z.jpg

Appears they gather!!
2012 Spotting Weekend Photo Thread - Sydney Airport Message Board (http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=8203)

Nice pictures I must say.

Trojan1981
14th May 2012, 00:10
Ahh... ok.
Are they pro's or spotters? I don't really get spotting; particularly when the subject is so routine and ordinary. But then again I suppose there are trainspotters too...

chimbu warrior
14th May 2012, 00:17
I don't really get spotting; particularly when the subject is so routine and ordinary.

So I guess you'd never go to the beach on a sunny day and see all those routine and ordinary birds in bikinis.

Horatio Leafblower
14th May 2012, 00:42
Is that what you would call an anorak of plane spotters? :}

Ozgrade3
14th May 2012, 00:46
Looking at some of the pictures on the YSSY airport message board, these guys have some serious camera equipment. The photos posted are quite impressive.

Well done to the SACL airfield ops people for hosting the photo day and allowing them such un presedented access airside. Indeed some senior airfield ops people are members themselves of the YSSY message board. From what I can gather, no other airport in the world has had such a photo day airside.

Capn Bloggs
14th May 2012, 01:13
Third pic down - that's me holding my snappy cam above all their heads. :\

Is that Keg waving? I thought he was a captain? :E

Trojan1981
14th May 2012, 01:29
So I guess you'd never go to the beach on a sunny day and see all those routine and ordinary birds in bikinis.

Well I'm not the type that needs to take photos...

Jabawocky
14th May 2012, 01:45
Many are folk employed at airlines, freight companies, ATC's and the fascination of all things flying is not just for those of us who have the privillege of flying. I reckon that jaunt was arranged by an employee. And to get that to happen in this day of crazy security is a feat worth acknowledging :D

Some are great photographers. Philthy if he pops in here is a classic example, Pilot & ATC and snaps a might pic at times at airshows and fly in's or whenever the chance arises.

It is good to see someone getting some enjoyment from the art of aviation.

j3pipercub
14th May 2012, 01:50
Chimbu, are you comparing an A380 to a bikini girl? I would agree with a Ryan ST or a Stearman, but not a dugong, or almost anything with turbines, yuk.

Trojan1981
14th May 2012, 01:54
It is good to see someone getting some enjoyment from the art of aviation.

True Jab. It's not that easy to get access these days.

nomorecatering
14th May 2012, 06:52
Man, am I in the wrong business. Should have opened a camera store catering to aviation enthusiasts. More than a few of them have canon L series lenses and they are in the multiple thousands of $ each.

Good on em, the spotters. Good to see people out in the fresh air having a good time, even better if its scented with jet A. Beats fishing any day.

morno
14th May 2012, 07:03
I am good friends with the gentlemen who actually organised that particular airside tour with SACL. It's part of the spotters who are on the Sydney Airport Message Board and SACL working together to try and improve relations, which personally I think is a great initiative.

They had a "spotting weekend" over the weekend just gone, which is a great opportunity for those who live interstate, or even locals who spot often or first timers, to meet others with a similar interest. I've attended a few in the past, at first for the spotting, prior to working in the industry, the last couple more to catch up with friends I have made from previous trips (and trips to the pub!).

I know there are a few on here who hate spotters, but bugger me, get over it I say. Everyone's entitled to their own hobbies and interests. Those of us who work in and love aviation are secretly spotters at heart!

morno

Jabawocky
14th May 2012, 07:37
even better if its scented with jet A. Beats fishing any day.

Not sure about that, you could be fishing off the end of RWY's 16 and having a coldie as well!

Beats Golf!! :ok:

And morno....one or two weird ones should not spoil it for the rest. Truth be known they make more effective security guards anyway.....they will snap a pic of anything out of place for sure!:}

Spend less on stupid scanners and more on spotters! :}:}

Typhoon650
14th May 2012, 11:20
Everyone is looking at the A380 before they have the C of A's revoked?

Keg
14th May 2012, 15:33
Is that Keg waving? I thought he was a captain?

These days i do occasionally jump back in the right seat. Did one tonight in fact.

I certainly am a 'waver' though. I make sure I always wave at the afternoon peak hour traffic parked on Souther Cross Drive when heading down to 16L/34R. I get a wave back about half the time. :D

I wish someone actually had some pictures of one of my landings. It'd be nice to show the kids and say 'this was me' rather than 'this may have been me but I'm not really sure'. Then again, given some of my landings, perhaps not.... :ok:

judge.oversteer
14th May 2012, 18:05
I just fail to understand those people who take the p**s out of spotters, even though I, myself, am not one.
After all, we would not be able to see some great piccies of aircraft from all over the world without them.
Just think guys, some of the most historical and valuble stuff since 1903 was done by spotters, professional or amateur.
OK, I know, some of you are tongue in cheek about it......
JO.

Keg
14th May 2012, 21:55
People who want to take photos of aeroplanes I get. People who record which a/c rego did what service I don't. Each to their own though because many people can't fathom why (or how) I did 20 years in the AAFC as an instructor and officer.

VH-XXX
14th May 2012, 22:01
I had a bad experience I detailed here with a spotter once. He was taking photos and writing down regos airside and inside hangars without permission at my local. He recorded some regos and made a mistake and as such reported to CASA that my aircraft had been written off (confused with another rego). I then got a letter from CASA when I was away on an extended holiday to say that my rego was being cancelled in 28 days. Just what you want when you are lying in a beach on the other side of the world. I needed to write to CASA personally with evidence to prove that the aircraft was in fact not written off.

metalman2
14th May 2012, 22:29
I don't get into the spotting thing but if I'm keen to have a look at an aircraft that's for sale you can just about guarantee there'll be a pic on the net some where, can be handy to get an idea of the aircraft over time,previous paint jobs etc. All those pics out there are good for coming up with color schemes too, helps when thinking for myself gets to hard.

Worrals in the wilds
14th May 2012, 23:28
Well done to the SACL airfield ops people for hosting the photo day and allowing them such un presedented access airside. Indeed some senior airfield ops people are members themselves of the YSSY message board. From what I can gather, no other airport in the world has had such a photo day airside.
Agreed, it's a great idea. :ok:
Must have been an uphill battle to organize in the Age of Stupid Security, too.

Bevan666
14th May 2012, 23:53
People who record which a/c rego did what service I don't.

The weirdest one I have heard of is people recording and collecting the serial numbers on baggage cans.. :confused: